• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

Well, honestly Im not sure how much neurontin will help your withdraw, it is worth a try though for sure, it has helped some with withdraw before. Especially in conjunction with you tapering it may have a better chance of helping. I havent tried neurontin for withdraw in a couple years, I use it for pain though. Back when I did go through short one or two days of severe withdraw I would try anything and really did abuse neurontin. In desperation I would take big doses, I would even snort it or open the capsules and swallow the powder out of hopes for quicker onset.

I dont know any of the science of how it works but I know a lot about how its used. If you are new to neurontin your dose would normally be built up very slowly because it can cause bad nausea and maybe other sides. 300mg normally taken 3 times per day, for opiate withdraw one dose taken before going to bed, is a starter dose level. Thats kind of a low dose though, not sure how it would help, but not sure how nausea would be. You could take more, its up to you, I dont think I would take more than 600mg at one time before knowing how it makes you feel. If you take enough you will no its in your system because it is something you can feel, not really a euphoric high though, for me at least.

Somebody else may be able to tell you the science behind neurontin because I dont really know that.

Uck, I hated neurontin. They gave it to me when I was in rehab for heroin addiction because I kept having seizures. Man, that shit made me so paranoid and hyper. I ended up feeling like I had all the negative aspects of a tweak high and none of the good. I would say for me it had absolutely no recreational value. Oh, and the side effects were bothering so much I refused to take it after 2 weeks and had horrible wds. Never touching that stuff again

its used for seizures, and nervous sytem damage/pain issues. so, it seeeems that it would help by cooling down your nervous system.

when you become addcicted to opioids, they are bound to many many nerve endings through out your body. when you stop taking them, the 'reexposure' of your nerves to real world conditions, everything is exagerated, just the air, clothing, sheets w/e, will hurt, because your nerves are now hypersensitive, giving you the crawling skin sensation, and general feeling of discust.

neurotin, is given to fibromyalgia patients because at some point their nerves became literally shocked, and fryed, becoming extremely sensitive to pain or touch, its all amplified, much like opioid w/d.

so it makes sense that neurotin would help in that way.

lyrica is suppose to be much much better feeling, and is usually preffered ove gaba by most fibro patients. i couldnt tolerate lyrica, it gave me some nasty medicine head, and a run down nasty feeling, so i stopped that.

the gaba i took a while and did tolerate, but it didnt help with my pain, and would give me headaches. i started out taking 2000mgs, which was not a good idea. 600 will knock you out id bet, so be careful.

I have complaints, to be honest. As someoneone who had used gabapentin medicinally for the past five or so years, I feel D's post is a bit misleading:

Hey!!!! Let me tell you some stuff about Gabapentin(Neurontin).
What is it?-Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a GABA analogue. It was originally developed for the treatment of epilepsy, and currently, Gabapentin is widely used to relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain.

True enough.

So why was it made?Gabapentin was initially synthesized to mimic the chemical structure of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), but is not believed to act on the same brain receptors.Sounds a lot like GHB/GBLGHB-gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid, a neuroprotective and depressant drug&GBL-gamma-Butyrolactone Hmmmm.. They sound very alike!

FAR from it. Although they have some similarities in chemical structure, that's where it ends. Gabapentin has no direct action on either GABA or GHB receptors. Their mechanism of action is as different as meth is different from heroin.

What's it feel like?-It varies from person to person. I don't want to tell you to go out and take 2500+mg.. Begin with a low dose to see how it effects you. I'm no MD but I can tell you that if it's your first time you should begin with 1-3 to begin with (900mg). It has the same sort of effect's of xanax, ghb, and hydrocodone. With a THC buzz. It makes me feel really dream like, and smooth high. When I take high doses I tend to drop things, and have a small twitching problem.

That's just your experience. For me it is primarily a stimulant without the anxiety that levels my mood. And I've taken it in doses of anywhere between 300mg and 6g+.

Best way to take it!-I don't want you to go and do this to every gabapen capsule you have. I normally will empty the contents of the capsules into a square of toilet paper and parachute it. It tastes WORST than ecstasy/mdma! Gabapentin tastes horable!!! So be sure to swallow it before it bust's open in your mouth!
Cool things about Gabapentin!-There have been reports by methamphetamine addicts that gabapentin alone in doses of 1200 mg at bedtime taken for 40–60 days has been effective in reducing the withdrawal symptoms and almost eliminating cravings or desire to use methamphetamine. It also helps those addicted to prescribed pain medications and takes away withdrawal symptoms.

See the ADD forum for more details. To keep it short: your body actively takes up gabapentin, it is not absorbed. This means that after a certain ammount, any more gabapentin you take is going out with your shit. So the best way to take it is to actually take small doses over the space of several hours.

Is it addictive?-Yes, it is. it's withdrawl effects are verry similar to benzo/alocohol withdrawl symptoms. (Only after long term use.)
So what's it feel like again...?-Although gabapentin is not a controlled substance, it does produce psychoactive effects that could lead to recreational use of the drug. However, it is widely regarded as having little or no potential for misuse. Pregabalin, a gabapentinoid with higher potency marketed for neuropathic pain, is a controlled substance, under Schedule V of the United States' Controlled Substances Act.

Really? This has not been my experience. Although PREGABALIN does have mild w/d symptoms, gabapentin really didn't have any and, like I said above, I've used it for years (and still do, with frequent stops) because it cures my illness.

Recreational use of gabapentin produces a varying number of effects including euphoria, appetite stimulation, incessant talking, physical and mental stimulation which result in varying degrees of drug-induced productivity. Diarrhea/stomach discomfort is commonly reported with heavy use.
Gabapentin is close to pregabalin(lyrica)

True, and to me it seems you've been talking about pregabalin the whole time, not gabapentin :).

Well, probably the most correct thing said so far about gabapentin is that its effects will differ from person to person. Just as much as I believe it doesnt have any effect close to a benzo, opiate, or marijuana, it also didnt have any stimulant effects with me. I think its pretty useless recreationally which is so upsetting when I see all these users having great effects. I have also read of users having withdrawal like symptoms when stopping suddenly. It is also recommended by the manufacturer to not stop its use suddenly.

^Yes, I think the reason for all this is the greatly varying amounts needed in people and the differences in individual chemistry. For me to get any sort of positive (recreational) effect out of gabapentin. I had to take a few grams of the stuff, and it only worked the first time I tried it (maybe the second too...), but not in the days following that.

Jamshyd, I have read about taking little bits at a time, but I do feel it is possible to get pretty strong effects just from taking them all at once. Sure, you get to a point where you're wasting some of the excess, but by that point, the effects are pretty damn intense and borderline unpleasant (IME).

Im very interested in Gabapentin and Preglabin.
What are the differences, which is the strongest?

and which produces the most recreational/euphoric effect in the right dosage?

Nikolai and Boll: I wrote everything I wrote here with the thought of gabapentin as a medicine, not as something to get high on. It simply doesn't work that way. Sure, the first few times it might give a nice buzz, but that goes away, and after that all you can hope to do is to take it as economically as possible for its medical effects because it is the only thing that heals me.

hey all, i just sublingualled 7-8 5 mg vals and a 1 mg xanax. i have a high benzo tolerance, if i want to get completely high from xanax i usually take 6 if i've drank 5 or so vodka sodas, i'm an alkie, or 10 to 12 if i'm not drinking. no blackouts, no falling down, just the nice benzo bloom that makes me forget about paying bills, going to work, and anything else i'm upset about. i'm about to smoke a cig to kick start the benzo bloom too. anyways, i came across 3 completely full bottles of 400 mg neurontins recently. there are 100 pills in each bottle. i've pretty much read all the posts, but benzos treat me differently than most people. they don't ever, ever make me sleepy unless i include them in a drug-doing pissing contest, but that doesn't count, and it isn't recommended. they are my all time favorite drug besides morphine and tramadols. even heroin, dilaudids, oc's, uppers (aside from phentermine) and (sometimes, depending on who's in my bed) e doesn't really compare. psychadelics are fun every once and a while when you're with cool people, or you have some contemplating to do on your own, but they don't let me sleep for days either. z drugs make me hallucinate and i become very hyper and almost tweakish. long story short, drugs don't ever make me sleepy unless i shoot a bunch of heroin. so should i drink a couple of glasses of plum wine or take about 200 mgs of neurontin now and then 200 later? i'll start another post about drugs that aren't supposed to making people stay up and hyper another time, but i thought it might somehow be related.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

fuck it, a bottle of plum wine and benzos tonight. i'll wait until i have the house to myself tomorrow to watch 'it's always sunny' and get loaded on trams and gabapentin.

I doubt 200mg's will do much recreationally for you. Thats a very low dose. I however dont know how it works in combination with alcohol. I dont think gabapentin is a good replacement of xanax, but thats my experience.

I've never experienced the effects you listed though I've been taking gababpentin for neuropathic pain for several years (Crushed left nerve root at L4-L5, L5-S1, still compressed after surgeries.) But I know that responses to this drug vary widely.

I didn't bother taking it for years because after my first experiments I didn't "feel anything" (relief or recreational) but lately I decided to go ahead with it anyway in hopes that it would help with my condition. I've recently been taking it as directed (3600mg/day; 1200mg 3x/day).

So far I don't notice any difference in the intensity of my sciatica and the accompanying constant muscle spasms in my lower leg (OW!FUCK!). But I'm going to give it a good shot this time. Some drugs like herbal formulations take months to show a recognizable effect.

I'm really glad you started this thread! Any anecdotal information I can get from other users will be welcome whether they're trying for psychoactive effects or just pain relief. So thank you! Maybe I'll discover a way to enjoy my doses on top of getting relief.

Thought I'd mention that some people, like me, seemingly have very little effect from low doses of gabapentin. 300mgs did nothing for my nerve pain or have any psychological effects that I could detect. I was prescribed the max of 3600mgs/day and it definitely gave me a "loopy" feeling, as a friend once described it to me and that word stuck.

Now I take lyrica/pregabalin which is the "other" gaba-oid and at prescribed doses I feel very little. At ridiculously high doses, there is a strange feeling and severe memory impairment but not accompanied with any sort of (notable) physical impairment.

If 300mgs doesn't do much then try higher. I was prescribed 1200mgs/3x/day and even that had very little if any immediate effect but the drug was never much of anything helpful to me.

we've already got a mega thread on this(it's toward the bottom in the OD Directory) so i'll merge it in there for you

I've never experienced the effects you listed though I've been taking gababpentin for neuropathic pain for several years (Crushed left nerve root at L4-L5, L5-S1, still compressed after surgeries.) But I know that responses to this drug vary widely.

I didn't bother taking it for years because after my first experiments I didn't "feel anything" (relief or recreational) but lately I decided to go ahead with it anyway in hopes that it would help with my condition. I've recently been taking it as directed (3600mg/day; 1200mg 3x/day).

So far I don't notice any difference in the intensity of my sciatica and the accompanying constant muscle spasms in my lower leg (OW!FUCK!). But I'm going to give it a good shot this time. Some drugs like herbal formulations take months to show a recognizable effect.

I'm really glad you started this thread! Any anecdotal information I can get from other users will be welcome whether they're trying for psychoactive effects or just pain relief. So thank you! Maybe I'll discover a way to enjoy my doses on top of getting relief.

I suffer similar problems as yourself due to gunshot wounds. My experience was similar to yours, I underwent surgeries, I tried gabapentin a couple times, with no luck. After one surgery and being told that gabapentin sometimes will help someone it hadnt helped before after an operations changes I was put on it again, and amazingly this time it did help some. I am unsure why, i also had compression on nerves along with extensive damage to my left S1 and L5 nerve roots. I think one reason could be compression being lifted from nerves, but am unsure, my nerve damage never healed any. Despite you likely having at least some permanent damage, is there any chance of attempting another operation?

I just tried a small dose of Gabapentin for neve pain....I feel some mood elevation and some additional stimulation with my oxycodone. I think that in combination with opiates an initial small dose of Neurontin adds something to the effects of opiates.

The quality of sleep on this stuff is spectacular. This is just what I need, though dont expect anything equal to street drugs.

anyone have any info about the interactions between l-arginine and gabapentin ?
Maybe its just some sort of a placebo effect but I really like it ether way. .

People are too quick to dismiss anything they dont understand as placebo. I have seen people claim that Absinthe is just alcohol and not enhanced by the herbs....probably depends on dosage of the herbs, but I have personally experienced wormwood delerium and sweet flag makes my heart race.

That said, I dont know much about the interactions. I think they work on different pathways but the experience is what matters.

Nitric Acid may affect the permeability of the blood brain barrier.

i'm reading this thread, and i'm amazed at how many people don't enjoy the effects of neurontin..... i've got a script for it, and i think it's fucking great..! there is a buildup of tolerance, but it drops quickly too. i donno, i just really enjoy the effects. i get this sort of manic enthusiasm, it's like the perfect drunk, where life is rowdy and ecstatic but you don't talk with a slur... i guess it does make me prone to stumble, though.

also, i find it really helpful for opiate withdrawals..... of course it doesn't "end" it, like suboxone might, but it relieves things significantly for me. most of all, withdrawals or not, it puts me in a really positive mindset. i just feel fucking right on!

anyway, just wanted to offer my varying mileage. i was shocked at all the negative press!

Hey, I noticed that today when I woke up I didnt wake up with WDs. Is that from the Nuerontin?