• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

Thank you. One of the things you you touched upon is EXACTLY what my primary concern is.......can my unfortunate high tolerance to several other prescription drugs (benzodiazepines, opioids, etc....) be rendering Gabapentin essentially ineffective even though I have never before even taken this drug? It's now been 1 hour and 45 minutes since I took it.......still nothing. Thanks again though :)

No problem. And yeah, I wouldn't expect too much in this case. At least not recreationally speaking.

Wait a second.......it's just over 2 hours.......something mild is happening......I'll be patient as suggested. I've read people saying it can take 2 hours. I'll give it all day........I can't help but wonder that even though I took 4500mg that maybe it just still wasn't enough......I should have doubled that (ha)......kidding but kinda serious. I probably would have but things that I've read other people write dwindles my courage.......I understand though; people write with good intentions and don't want to see other people hurt themselves. Nevertheless, I'm naturally still very curious if there is anyone or if anyone knows of anyone else that has taken a MASSIVE quantity of Gabapentin to get high? And did it work? Was it successful? Thanks for any response

I agree with you, toothpastedog......I'm not expecting much recreationally at this point. It's been 2 hours and 15 minutes now and it's so mild that I'm not even sure if it's real. It's like getting ripped off buying fake acid in high school and you and your friends think it's kicking in for like the first hour but nothing happens (ha)

"I've never noticed much withdrawal, especially on a methadone/heroin withdrawal level, not even in the same fucking realm lol. Maybe a slight bummed out feeling, but you won't be in the fetal position, dry heaving and shitting your insides out like a cold turkey 180 mg methadone withdrawal....*shudders* lol."

You know how silly that makes you sound ? How long did you take gaba ? Did you take it multiple times a day for almost a year? Okay don't talk otherwise ....
It would be as ignorant as an opiate naive noob telling you he doesn't get methadone withdrawals and laugh at you "lol tehe I'm cool I don't get withdrawals look at me everyone"

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying and my intentions. I'm not looking for attention; I'm looking for information. I've never taken Gabapentin before, I took a lot earlier, and I thought it would work.......and it isn't. I was just asking people with experience and knowledge of the drug if they had any thoughts. I'm not sure what's unusual or obsurd or offensive about that.......odd reaction there, but no big deal

Oh........just reread and realized that post wasn't addressed to me; it was meant for someone else. I'm new to this. My bad. Anyway, last thing to say about my disappointing endeavor into Gabapentin. In moronic desperation, I took 2400mg more of Gabapentin and, also, added 12mg of Xanax just now (cause I saw that several people recommend that)........I took more and added Xanax just in case there's still a chance of me having the great day I was hoping for......I guess I'm not ready to surrender the fantasy (ha)

The reason is Gabapentin. I'm totally knew to it and literally just got it and took a bunch. WAY more than recommended by almost everybody. I took 4500mg an hour and 30 minutes ago and I feel nothing so far.

Hey Shawnsheen, Welcome to BL. Gabapentin can be a very subtle drug, where it really shines is aiding in withdrawal from opioids and to a degree benzos IMO. The transporter system in your GI tract/ gut responsible for absorbing gabapentin is easily saturated by high levels and will only let so much into your bloodstream at one time. Anything over about a gram /1000mg during any 30 min period will just dose your toilet. While eating a little protein & fat and/or taking Naproxen sodium (Alleve) can help, the best method is to just take some in a stagger, every 20-40 mins. Also taking four+ grams at once can cause unpleasant diarrhea IME. Personally I prefer 800mg every 30mins, it takes about 90 mins to start reaching full effect and lasts for a few hours depending on stagger time. Your mileage may vary.

On a side note be careful when taking "tons" of Tramadol. It carries the risk of seizures in doses above 400mg. No bueno.

Shawsheen, I hope you have a great day and actually remember it! ;)

Gabapentin is hit or miss even for people that love it, at least in my experience. Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate a drug/medication, to feel what is going on. It may not live up to your high expectations, but it is still doing something.

I'd try to be a bit more cautious. I, too, can personally take a huge recreational dose of benzos, but my medically prescribed dosage of 1mg ativan and 900mg gabapentin still does what I need it to, even if it isn't really noticeable.

These really high doses aren't necessarily going to affect you the same way day to day, depending on a variety of factors. For example, I can be on the couch watching TV and take a stupid dose of a hypnotic and think, 'meh,' but at a different time be out to eat with family and take a much smaller dose and remind my family of an old biker right after he shot a speedball, slurring words and not even knowing it, thinking I'm okay.

You can be high as a kite on that combination of meds and not realize it, as it's really impossible to evaluate your mental state, especially on high dosages of gaba drugs. Crazy high dosages like that can be like hitting an off switch in your brain. One minute your there, the next you're not and are instead completely blacked out.

Speaking from extensive experience. Be careful.

Last edited:
Thank you so much to Jekyl Hydrid and to Nicholai. The information was abudent, and it's obvious you guys know what you're talking about. Sincerely, thdnk you for taking the time to share your knowledge. Also, thank you to Nicholai for the warm welcome. I also really appreciated the fact that you said that I get the type of day I was hoping for.......that was really cool. Anyway, I would love to tell you both that things worked out but the did not ☹️. After I took another 2,400 mg and 10 mg of Xanax in hopes this might work.......it did NOT. In about an hour after that I fell asleep for six hours straight. No high, no fun, disappointing day........I'd love to tell you it worked out, but it didn't. If I'm smart, in a few days, I'll follow the advice given to me by both of you (Jekyl Hydroid & Nicholaii) and maybe that will result in the pleasant high, great mood, and peaceful day that I was looking for............anyway, everything you guys said benefits and informs me........I know more now than I did before. I'm grateful ✌️

I took 2 300mg gabapentin and waited around 20 minutes, popped another, waited 30 minutes and popped another, its been an hour and i still feel nothing. This is my first time trying them and thought spacing them out would give them more time to disolve. I weigh around 160, should i continue to wait or???

No that's a good stagger, you might want to eat a snack or have a small glass of milk. As strange as that sounds Gabapentin is treated like an amino acid in your system and fat/ protein actually helps with absorption as well as naproxen sodium. After that if you still don't get much out of it you might have to accept that it's not going to do much for you. It's a strange drug and in some it can be very mild compared to benzos or opioids. If your daily regimen already contains other gabaergic meds then I would feel even more certain about the previous statement. Give it some time but don't be disappointed if it doesn't rock your world.

Oppie1025, I leaned literally today that the most unique thing about Gabapentin is that you can literally take too much, and it actually makes it not work at all. I'm new to Gabapentin, and if you read my posts from earlier today I recorded what I took, when, and the result. I took 4,500mg and it didn't work.......several hours later I took 2,400mg and Xanax cause I hear that might help achieving the desired high. It was a huge mistake. I took all of those and just fell asleep for 4 hours.....,no high, no fun. However, around 11pm, my ridiculous, dangerous, and stupid Irish stubbornness kicked in and I was like, "F" it! Screw it! Do I took more, but this time Intook 2,400mg on its own with no Xanax. The calm, relaxed euphoria I spent all day trying to find has FINALLY arrived mildly.........just 12 freaking hours too late. Anyway, there are a lot of people writing and responding about Gabapentin that know WAY more than me. BUT, the one thing I can swear by is that if you take too much it becomes legitimately null and void........for whatever reason it did not work at all. Most drugs the more you take the more fun you have.......Gabapentin is fussy, difficult, and strange. Nevertheless, I will make another attempt with it at some point. There are, in deed, great stories many about people having great times taking it. Thus, my advice, although I'm probably not that authorized to really give advice since today was the first time I took Gabapentin too. Despite that, I am convinced and can almost promise you, that Gabapentin require kinda strick ways to take it. Plenty of knowledgeable people claim they know the secret" (ha). Some are probably right. Anyway, the only DEFINITE thing I can add is that more does not mean better. There are certain amounts of Gabapentin that work and other's don't. I suggest a little adventure to find the most honest, experienced, and knowledgeable person you can find. There is the correct way to take it and you get a nice euphoric high; I've been around people on it......trust me, they're having fun. Lastly, a reminder, and this is the one thing that a Gabapentin rookie knows for a fact.,,,,,,,,taking a TON of it, specifically, I took throughout the day, a total of 11,400mg.......and only right now I feel slightly sedated, calm, and comfortable.......but still not high. I hope my mistakes help you out. Best of luck, amigo

I woke up, took 2400mg and pretty much got what I was looking for with the Gabapentin (sort of). No euphoria, unfortunately, but I am in a great mood. I shaved, showered, put on some nice clothes, and had that "ready to face the day" feeling. Look, I'll take what I can get (ha). I'm a writer.......,,..specializing and focusing mainly on speech writing, on assisting high school kids with the writing portion of the SAT, and helping high school kids with their college essays, as well as helping college kids with their essays to get into graduate school and medical school. I only mention this just because it's important that I have a positive "let's start the day kind of attitude" when I meet with clients........particularly because my clients are scared, nervous, and feel like they're under a tremendous amount of pressure. Did you guys know that valid and legitimate studies tell us that the second most feared thing by Americans (after death, of course) is, in fact, public speaking? I mention this because it's very important that I exude a calm, relaxed confidence in these situations..,,,,,and I'll be honest, prescription drugs help. Tramadol is the BEST for that.....,I save it for the highest paying jobs......that will usually involve assisting someone running for office or a retirement speech from someone who ran a large and successful company that has anywhere from hundreds to thousands of employees. I also take a TON of Xanax and even opioids on rare occasions. To be perfectly honest, I'd like to take illegal drugs, but I'm too scared to get in trouble. Being arrested for buying drugs would make a TON of people not hire me.......so I get all my prescription drugs from generous doctors. Anyway, I got off track. Like I said, I'm in a great mood, but I am angry that I wasted all that Gabapentin yesterday. From reading what different people wrote, it seemed like toothpastedog and Jekyl Anhydride seemed to have interesting ideas. Jekyl Anhydride seemed to have a real systematic approach that he thought would breed success with Gabapentin. I'll pay attention to the things he said and hopefully says again.......maybe they'll work for me! Toothpastedog shares the same skepticism I have........the thought that, "hey, it just might not work for you"........he seems to know what he's talking about and is probably right, BUT, I'm not giving up yet!.......which is probably stupid. I'll look for suggestions from Jekyl Anhydride, and any others with suggestions on how to take Gabapentin and, well, essentially get high.......

Shawsheen, go back a little in this thread and look for my post on March 16th. Keep in mind, I'm 5'9" and 160. However, that tactic has worked well for me, haven't found a better way to do it and I love the stuff. Like I said in my previous post, everybody is different, so you may not get the same results but I suggest giving my method a try and see how it works out for you. Look forward to hearing how it went.

Indeed they do, I do in fact. Not as such, it was prescribed more as a "please leave my office" thing, but I continue to take it since it's done more for me than years of sertraline/Zoloft or booze have done.

Script is 600mg x 3/day. Typically I actually take 2400mg/day, which means I run out before the month is up. I pretend that I do this intentionally to prevent tolerance from developing.

It is quite good for my run-of-the-mill social phobias, and the more general angst about life. I don't really get, and don't know, probably wouldn't help with, acute panic attacks or nasty cases of agoraphobia or anything. In fact, it's so glacially slow it would probably be one of the last to be recommended for attacks.

If you want to be say, more talkative at the company picnic and seem sober, really just 1200mg works (no tolerance) for me, and probably less is still effective.
That's definitely the threshold for that "sense of well-being" some people call a "high" and get the kids all excited about.

Of course, some people fall asleep at 300, and others don't react at all. It is a strange one.

Ive heard gabapentin is used off label for anxiety.
What dose do people take for anxiety?

Prescribed 600mg 3x daily for chronic paresthesia, anxiety, and insomnia. I do find when I take it as prescribed, my anxiety goes down and I'm a bit more chatty and alert. It doesn't do jack for the paresthesia, unfortunately. My wife says I act drunk on it, may be so. In large doses, gabapentin does have an intoxicated feeling, but it is not pleasant. Would rather drink alcohol.

There is side effects. I do not like the drowsy, limbs feel heavy feeling. Honestly, not a fan of this medication. Remeron did more for anxiety, I plan to go back to it.

So 1200mg? Damn i should have asked for a higher dosage script.
Is there cross tolerance with Benzos?

No cross tolerance to benzos. Different mechanism.

Why, how much were you given?