• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin help...

Opiatehell85

Bluelighter
Hey,

ive been using gabapentin on and off for my hip pain, if I use once a week I usually get a nice buzz from it that I actually enjoy, but if used on two consecutive days it doesn't work the same, is that right for everyone else? Can I not get that same buzz on the second day even if I increased the dosage? Such a strange drug. I'm careful with my doses and also take long breaks as I've a history of addiction, just feels great when I'm craving opiates that I can catch a buzz from this, answers greatly appreciated.

How much do you take? It is a strange drug as increasing the dose tends to decrease bioavailabilty and seems to max out at 3600mg (maybe 4800mg).

Gabapentin is a different drug in the sense that you get more out of it by staggering the doses you are taking. It's best to take your entire dose split up, for example taking 600mg every 45 minutes to an hour or so.

Taking it all at once is usually a waste because not all of it is absorbed or passes the blood-brain barrier.

As Kittycat asked, how much are you taking? And how are you going about taking that dose?

The "strangeness" of Gabapentin (Neurontin) and other Gabapentinoids - Pregabalin (Lyrica), Phenibut (OTC) etc. - is that compared to many other commonly used substances, tolerance is like instantaneous, as you've described OP. One high-dose Gabapentin usage is enough to practically double your tolerance if used the following day and by my estimate it takes 3-4 days for tolerance to completely reset; that's after just one use. It's generally the same deal with the other two I mentioned. They just aren't as effective if taken consecutively, day to day.

However, if use sparingly, they're pretty effective. I happen to really appreciate the effects of Gabapentinoids, especially when I'm in Opioid withdrawal. They can really make the difference between a hellacious experience and a bearable one. The truth is OP, that if you want to get the most positive benefit from your usage as possible, you need to not use Gabapentin or like drugs for consecutive days.

I'd also be curious to know how much Gabapentin your using when you do use. The dosage makes a pretty big difference, as the previously mentioned tolerance can cause dosages to escalate near-exponentially super quick.

Keep in mind that most people will tell you a high dose all at once is a waste, but its not. I think most people feel staggering because it takes over an hour to hit you, so you're progressively feeling more and more of it. For those saying its "not absorbed" at high doses, pop 4.8g and see how much of a waste it is lol. Besides you getting wasted, that is ;)

I have. Its really not much different than 2.4g. And its still best to stagger it in my opinion.

I have. Its really not much different than 2.4g. And its still best to stagger it in my opinion.

True. Staggering makes a significant difference in how affected you will be. I forgot about that.

Hi all, thanks for your informative answers. I took 1.5g yesterday all in one dose, and today took 1.8g in one dose. I got the same hit as yesterday I am quite surprised, I will give it a miss now for a week unless I'm in pain obviously. Just wanna know tho is it a dangerous drug? Addictive? Any death reports? I'm really wary about drugs these days, but do like the effects I'm getting at the moment.

Keep in mind that most people will tell you a high dose all at once is a waste, but its not. I think most people feel staggering because it takes over an hour to hit you, so you're progressively feeling more and more of it. For those saying its "not absorbed" at high doses, pop 4.8g and see how much of a waste it is lol. Besides you getting wasted, that is ;)

Hahaha I was pretty wasted off 1.5g, I've been on a low dose for years every single day, had a six month break and because I quit opiates my dr said I'll need these for pain relief. To be honest my subs help my pain, but later on in the day I'm craving so bad, so thought I'd give the gabapentin a go at a higher dose and see what happens, omg I didn't expect that, I was so talkative, bit drunk like, wobbly on my feet but felt great, I'm gonna be super careful tho, don't wanna go down that road again.

Hi all, thanks for your informative answers. I took 1.5g yesterday all in one dose, and today took 1.8g in one dose. I got the same hit as yesterday I am quite surprised, I will give it a miss now for a week unless I'm in pain obviously. Just wanna know tho is it a dangerous drug? Addictive? Any death reports? I'm really wary about drugs these days, but do like the effects I'm getting at the moment.

People have taken a lot and survived. Like 25g a lot. Addictive? Maybe. Its not controlled but is abused (see OP :) ) and can be hell to get off of for some.

Please be careful sweetie I got a pretty bad lyrica (which is gabapentin big brother, same drug basically just stronger mg by mg)habit after using it every other day with a small sub dose to stay off opiates..I was taking 2 mg sub dose then the next day 600mg of lyrica..back and forth.thought I would save tolerance to each so it would be easier coming off subs

u take it for pain that's good but it gives u that euphoric high that can put u right back in the addictive cycle and out of maintence..it's a drug that I would use on weekends to go out or a high besides the subs to start with but then I basically got hooked on subs and lyrica..the withdrawal isn't as bad I'd say as opiate or benzo withdrawal but it has a little bit of both in it which makes it just a pain to deal with..great drug tho it's in my top 3 right behind opiates and mdma

tolerance almost goes back to zero after a week..not fully like those great first times with all drugs but enough to keep your dose low..overdoing it too much does nothing..after a certain dose u won't get any more recreational value, just odd side effects..I would wake myself up by my back twitching and bending backward if I took a high dose (1g) Of lyrica.also would wake up and piss sleepwalking right in the bedroom ..freaked my gf out.try convincing someone your sober after that..restless back syndrome and sleep pissing8):|

stay safe %)

Last edited:
Please be careful sweetie I got a pretty bad lyrica (which is gabapentin big brother, same drug basically just stronger mg by mg)habit after using it every other day with a small sub dose to stay off opiates..I was taking 2 mg sub dose then the next day 600mg of lyrica..back and forth.thought I would save tolerance to each so it would be easier coming off subs

u take it for pain that's good but it gives u that euphoric high that can put u right back in the addictive cycle and out of maintence..it's a drug that I would use on weekends to go out or a high besides the subs to start with but then I basically got hooked on subs and lyrica..the withdrawal isn't as bad I'd say as opiate or benzo withdrawal but it has a little bit of both in it which makes it just a pain to deal with..great drug tho it's in my top 3 right behind opiates and mdma

tolerance almost goes back to zero after a week..not fully like those great first times with all drugs but enough to keep your dose low..overdoing it too much does nothing..after a certain dose u won't get any more recreational value, just odd side effects..I would wake myself up by my back twitching and bending backward if I took a high dose (1g) Of lyrica.also would wake up and piss sleepwalking right in the bedroom ..freaked my gf out.try convincing someone your sober after that..restless back syndrome and sleep pissing8):|

stay safe %)

Good post. OP, gabapentin can be and is moderately addictive. For me, and many others, coming off a high dose is comparable to benzo withdrawal. Its not really better or worse; withdrawal from gabapentin brings its own kind of hell. Its a very depressing, moody, restless, anxious derealization that is extremely uncomfortable. More than enough to have you jonsing for more. Enough that people buy them on the streets and they are becoming more and more widely abused.

Fortunately, not taking 1.2g 4x a day like me (!!) lol has its advantages. You will feel it a lot more when you do take it and you wont get addicted if you skip 2 days between doses. I say two days because on day 2 of stopping it, gabapentin is still in your system to a good extent. It is, however, very effective for nerve pain in some people. When you stop taking it, you'll notice a lot of rebound anxiety and nerve pain.

Like any other mood or mind altering substance, use with caution and moderation. You'll be fine ;)

stay safe %)

ahhh thankyou for the advice, yes I agree with you I will be careful, guess it kills my cravings in the evening when my subs are wearing off. I never wanna be in the addiction cycle again so I will limit use to once a week or less, unless obviously I'm in pain and will take my prescribed dose. Are you still on subs now? I'm finished maintainence and I'm now starting to reduce, feel so good not being a drug seeker anymore, looking for scripts constantly was ruining my life. God damn painkillers. Appreciate your advice and thanks again :)

Good post. OP, gabapentin can be and is moderately addictive. For me, and many others, coming off a high dose is comparable to benzo withdrawal. Its not really better or worse; withdrawal from gabapentin brings its own kind of hell. Its a very depressing, moody, restless, anxious derealization that is extremely uncomfortable. More than enough to have you jonsing for more. Enough that people buy them on the streets and they are becoming more and more widely abused.

Fortunately, not taking 1.2g 4x a day like me (!!) lol has its advantages. You will feel it a lot more when you do take it and you wont get addicted if you skip 2 days between doses. I say two days because on day 2 of stopping it, gabapentin is still in your system to a good extent. It is, however, very effective for nerve pain in some people. When you stop taking it, you'll notice a lot of rebound anxiety and nerve pain.

Like any other mood or mind altering substance, use with caution and moderation. You'll be fine ;)

Thanks so much, I was on 900mg daily for nerve pain for just over a year, I stopped it without any reduction for six months, I didn't notice any withdrawal, maybe a little insomnia but that was it. I'm now prescribed, 600mg x3 a day, so still not a major dose but I don't take it as my pain has eased a lot lately, could be the subs that mask it, I dunno but I'm not complaining. I will deffo stick to taking once a week or less unless I need it, as I definitely do not wanna become addicted to it. I have had pregablin in past but gave me awful nightmares. So they swapped back to gabapentin.

I still take both subs and lyrica but not to the extent i was..i use lyrica when i can get it which is a couple days a month and il use subs probably a little less than half the time at 1mg doses..it helps with my cravings so much and i dont see the point in living in constant pain and anxiety assosiated with PAWS..i have a job ,a car and a place so my life is pretty stable but without the subs i just turn into a different person..a drug seeking nervous wreck..

i have been on them for 8 month now and at the year mark i wanna make a change and reduce my dose to .5mg.at 6 months i went down from 2 to 1mg,which still held withdrawals back just took some of the "high" i would get for a few hours after a dose..i wana start taking it orally also but im addicted to snorting things and i get subutext so it makes snorting a breeze so i cant bring myself to stop..gotta love addiction :|

have a good day :D

Last edited:

I'm curious if you could tell me when you were taking the 1.2g 4x if you experienced much cognitive side effects from the gabapentin? It's known to inhibit thrombospondin in the brain which is very important for synaptic formation and neurotransmission.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867409011854

I'm on gaba and at first it would make me all jelly like, like walking in a dream. I'm on the "maximum" dose now, 800mg 4x day. Now, I can take 8g and not even feel it. I get more out of it when I take smaller doses, not much, but it keeps me from going in to gaba wd's. It's a fickle drug that will change on you.
Just be careful how much you take. I've noticed at higher doses, I get twitchy. Not little eye flutter twitchy but like whole body jumpy. Anyway, that's my experience. I've been on it for about two years and am still figuring out its intricacies.

Yeah that twitchiness is myoclonus from it actually inhibiting GABA release at those really high doses, and both it and pregabalin can actually cause seizures in high doses.

I know, I read that. I haven't taken the high doses in a while. I've been trying to be good and stick to the scripted regimen.

You are talking about generic Neurontin, right? I'm sorry, I was taking it for nerve pain and at 100 mg. TID, I must have missed any fun. I DO KNOW that a high dose, higher than 300 mg a day, can cause your hands and feet to feel like buzzing balloons that are basically useless and it can screw with your sight, which I didn't get back. BE CAREFUL.