furnishing alcohol to minors (merged)

c_salsaman said:
how's it goin uacvax. the same exact thing happened to me. On may 17th i got setup right in front of S.O.S. I even talked to the same lawyer. I also just graduated...small world.
i'm guessing you already started handling it. i postponed my court date to the 15th of july cause i already had other plans. i haven't decided to go with a lawyer yet. Did you? any info you could give me about what you've gone through so far would be awesome.
thanks
ole

are you the guy in the daily nexus? there was some guy in the nexus that also had the same shit happen to him. what was your exact situation? some kinda tall scrawny looking kid bribing you to buy some beer? on the same day that i got caught there were undercovers all over the beach too, arrested some kid for being drunk and all of us on the beach started booing and trying to get him released.

my lawyer is still taking care of my case, i decided to go w/ steve andrade he's more high powered than makler and he costs 1200. but here's what he said: it doesn't reallymatter on how good your lawyering is, it's just a game of chance. there are 3 chances to go up against different DAs . the first DA is usually a no go. the 2nd and 3rd you might get lucky to have a young liberal male, who are usually sympathetic towards petty violations like this one because they've got bigger fish to fry. if you're unlucky you will get an older, less liberal female who are not sympathetic.

i believe the chance is about 50% although makler originally told me 90%... there's also a dave andreasen who works through the as ucsb legal services
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2576645411

dave seems like a great guy and he will offer you a great price if you're a starving college student like myself.

way to end the school year eh? =D

that is NO GOOD

I can't believe the kid that actually helped the cop, what a narc peice of shit!

I'll still buy liquor for underaged kids, people risked it/did it for me when I was underage...I owe it to the yunger generation.

That is pure bullshit though, I hope you recover from that ticket (if its expensive)!!!

yeah i was the guy in the nexus. the reporter picked the dumbest things i said from our whole conversation, but it was pretty funny. i saw that guy get arrested at the beach too.. its just so ridiculous to me that they are spending so much effort(money) to curb underage drinking. how can they possibly think that they will be able to stop or even reduce underage drinking in IV. is a 20 year old really that much less mature and responsible than a 21 year old, so much so that i have to get a fucking misdemeanor. anywaysss.. So Andrade said there is about a 50% chance of what, getting it reduced to an infraction? would you have to go to zona seca then?

i reiterate, fuck IVFP!

wth is zona seca? yeah 50% down to an infraction.

what'd it say in the nexus again? something about entrapment and being drunk already at the time?

zona seca is basically a private alcohol and drug education program that the santa barbara court lets those who got a minor in posession take to downgrade their violation to a disturbing the piece infraction. i'm sure they use it for other violations as well.
yeah i just said that i was drunk at the time and that i felt like it was entrapment cause i had no intent to buy alcohol for a minor until i was approached. Mahkler said that it didn't really matter if i was drunk or not. also i read that it was in 97 i think that the supreme court ruled police could use decoys to set up alcohol suppliers. they originally started setting up liquor stores and apparently 50% of sellers didn't card. Is that what people talk about when they say the good ol' days? Although i wouldn't be surprised if that stat. was altered to increase funding and support.

I just talked to my roomate's sister last night who got caught buying us a bunch of handles just before halloween in 2004. I don't know if you remember, but this was right after they supposedly increased the punishment for furnishing up to 3000$. But... she didn't get a lawyer or do anything and the judge reduced it to an infraction and she only paid a few hundred.
your thoughts?

right, andrade said originally he thought it was going to be a cakewalk... but the he found out that they are really starting to prosecute for this. so it doesn't look good. i don't think you can do zona seca if you're over 21, but at least you can't lose your license.

I would go with the attorney, get the charge reduced to a violation from a misdemeanor, and pay your fine. If you are to graduate soon, you will be obligated to practice full disclosure during your background check.

It seems like a lot of money but think long term.

Lysis said:
It's been a while since I've filled out a job app, but if I remember correctly they ask you if you've been accused of an *felonies*. I'm sure this varies between employers, but I think *felonies* is the typical question to which you can honestly answer "no."

That sucks. I had a few adults get me booze when I was a kid.

The question I have seen asked most often is "have you ever been convicted of a CRIME?" where crime=misdemeanor or felony.

MistaSmokalot said:
that is NO GOOD

I can't believe the kid that actually helped the cop, what a narc peice of shit!

I'll still buy liquor for underaged kids, people risked it/did it for me when I was underage...I owe it to the yunger generation.

That is pure bullshit though, I hope you recover from that ticket (if its expensive)!!!

Yeah, I had so many adults buy me so many bottles and cases of booze and beer when I was a kid, that I owe it to the younger generation to risk my neck to get their dumbasses drunk every now and then.

^^^^ Yeah, I myself remember the "good ol' days." But it's scary to think that if one of these kids gets smashed and kills someone out on the road with their car, that you could probably be charged with vehicular homicide as well. :\

And even the misdemeanor charge of supplying underage persons with alcohol can have deleterious effects to one's employment or professional license. It's so not worth it.

I've had kids ask me, and they certainly look nice enough--and I'm reminded of the fun times from my teenage years--but I have to tell 'em that sorry, if I got caught it could turn my professional life upside down. :)

Sorry, Bushdoctah, no judgmental posts are allowed in this forum. Please see the forum guidelines sticky post - thanks. -Johnny1

Last edited by a moderator:
So uacvax, are you a criminal yet? how's it lookin? are we fucked? my first real court date is the 29th. How many have you had?

who'd you retain? makler? i've had 1 so far, next one is next monday, i don't think it's looking too good, but not hopeless either

Um, yeah I would feel bad if they got drunk and killed somebody of course!!! I feel bad everytime I see an accident I wish the persons not hurt...

But I'm not talking about that, I'm talking buying liquor for a chump outside of a liquor store, what they do with their liquor has nothing to do with me, I never got in a car and killed anybody and neither did anybody I know, and if I got in an accident, blaming it on the guy who bought me liquor would be the fucking last thing through my mind. FOR SURE.

So I do know my consequence, and I have not bought liquor for any kids...[please don't state your intent to break the law. Thank you :) --tobala]...drinking when I was younger helped me realize alcohol is over rated anyways.

peace.

In the experiences I have witnessed, NEVER TRUST YOUR LIVELIHOOD IN THE HANDS OF A PUBLIC PRETENDER. I've seen this mistake made multiple times and only once did it end well. Granted, I've also seen expensive lawyers who sucked ass at representing their clients, so my advice to you is to shop around. Talk to multiple attornies, if you know anyone with reputable knowledge in the legal field in your area, ask them for a recommendation, etc etc... DO NOT go with the first lawyer you find, make sure you're confident in the attorney you pick and his course of action, never hesitate to get a second opinion, and all that jazz. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

furnishing alcohol to minors

I just got busted by abc for furnishing alcohol to minors. Somebody else posted about this happening to them as well and stated they might get a reduced sentence to a infraction. I just want to know if getting a lawyer worked out? Anyone have this problem?

what happened

Two young girls asked me. One of them said she was twenty something, but they had a recording and all you could hear was 20 years old. Did the lawyer help you or did you still get the misdemeanor?

bemaer22 said:
I just got busted by abc for furnishing alcohol to minors. Somebody else posted about this happening to them as well and stated they might get a reduced sentence to a infraction. I just want to know if getting a lawyer worked out? Anyone have this problem?

Having a lawyer almost never doesn't work out. I don't recall seeing the outcome to a previous post here either.

yeah it did work out, i got a disrupting public w/ a loud noise or something like that, and 500 DOLLAR FINE! but i guess it's still worth it, it wasn't easy either. it depends on the attitudes of the DAs in your county but my lawyer had to rave about my good grades and this glowing letter of recommendation from one of my lecturers. best of luck.

good news. I'm in the same county as you, except they got me in Santa barbara. Well I called they IV lawyer guy, is that who you went with?