furnishing alcohol to minors (merged)

uacvax

Bluelighter
just got setup by the cops today, kid offered to give me $20 for a $9 6 pack of coors light, next thing i know the cops are giving me a ticket, anyway i can get out of this? What should I do? I have a clean record, and I don't want a misdemeanor fucking up my job prospects, I'm also just getting out of a respectable 4 year university. It just seems so unethical and perhaps not even legal to be BRIBING somebody when you are supposed to be upholding the law and all that jazz. Please help!

You will almost certainly be convicted, you after all did break the law and I'm sure there is plenty of evidence to prove it. It really doesn't matter that they offered you money to do it; you were not forced to do anything. It may be immoral, but its definitely not illegal. If you are really worried about this screwing up your record, hire a lawyer. He may be able to find something that the police screwed up to get you off or at least negotiate a favorable deal.

The fact that this kid was willing to pay $20 for six pack should have been a red flag to you anyway. And where do you live that a six pack of Coors Light costs $9?

get a lawyer. if you cannot afford one, talk to a public defender. it goes without saying that you should not make any statements to the police or investigators.

shit.... they already questioned me, I think if I didn't answer their questions I would've been arrested, they asked me what the kid said to me, and I answered.

Too late I already gave them my version of the story, they said I had 2 options jail or a ticket if I was truthful and of course I chose the ticket

I think you'll be fine, I know a few people with some decent misdemeanors on their records and hold government jobs. As long as it stays a misdemeanor and you aren't going for any high level clearances or anything I couldn't see it being a huge issue.

Also the cops might not have paid the kid, they routinely monitor liquor stores on college campuses for people buying alcohol for minors. I had two friends get busted a long time ago in this exact same way.

Yeah, you're pretty much screwed then. You might get lucky and get off for whatever reason but I seriously doubt it.

It's still not too late to get a lawyer. He or she might be able to get you a plea bargain to an infraction (not a crime, just like a traffic ticket) even after you've talked to the police. It could end up being money wasted, but it could also be money well-spent.

just got off the phone w/ a lawyer, he says he is 90% sure he can get it dropped from misdemeanor to infraction. DA wants to take away my license, charge me $1000 or $3000.

If it gets dropped to an infraction, it will be a $500 ticket.

He is charging $1500 up front for his services... what do you guys think?

ivlawyer.com

Thats what a lawyer who is not the shitty Public defender costs,
would you rather go with the free Public D, get a misdemeanor, your license taken and get charged $3000?

uacvax said:
just got setup by the cops today, kid offered to give me $20 for a $9 6 pack of coors light, next thing i know the cops are giving me a ticket, anyway i can get out of this? What should I do? I have a clean record, and I don't want a misdemeanor fucking up my job prospects, I'm also just getting out of a respectable 4 year university. It just seems so unethical and perhaps not even legal to be BRIBING somebody when you are supposed to be upholding the law and all that jazz. Please help!

It's been a while since I've filled out a job app, but if I remember correctly they ask you if you've been accused of an *felonies*. I'm sure this varies between employers, but I think *felonies* is the typical question to which you can honestly answer "no."

That sucks. I had a few adults get me booze when I was a kid.

Good news, my campus legal assistance called the DA and she said that the DA is only going to take around 200 from me, but the misdemeanor will stay, but I can expunge it from my record after about a year or so...

so fuck the lawyer, i'm not paying him 1500

Make sure you understand the conditions by which it can be expunged. You may have to keep a clean record during that time. If so, take that seriously.

can i do community service in a community other than the one i committed the offense? I'm supposed to move back home after finishing up with school..

congrats. not to rain on the parade, but just keep in the back of your mind that certain databases will always have a record of the arrest, regardless of expungement. assuming you complete whatever program they are offering you and have the charge expunged, there's a good chance that it won't turn up on a typical background check. however, if you ever apply for a job with any type of security clearance or ceritification, there will be databases with a record of this. as for everything else, i agree with johnny, keep it clean.

i'm having second thoughts about it, and i think i may spend the 1500 after all, because even if i get the conviction cleared i will still have to answer 'yes' to "Have you EVER been convicted of a crime?"

and I would much rather put no than yes to that questoin..

uacvax said:
i'm having second thoughts about it, and i think i may spend the 1500 after all, because even if i get the conviction cleared i will still have to answer 'yes' to "Have you EVER been convicted of a crime?"

and I would much rather put no than yes to that questoin..

I agree with you on this one. A municipal violation (eg, disorderly conduct, etc.) is technically not a crime as it is not a misdemeanor or a felony. Therefore, you can legally answer no to this question.

Spend the money on the attorney to get it knocked down to a violation and then focus on having it expunged when possible.

fuck IVFP!

how's it goin uacvax. the same exact thing happened to me. On may 17th i got setup right in front of S.O.S. I even talked to the same lawyer. I also just graduated...small world.
i'm guessing you already started handling it. i postponed my court date to the 15th of july cause i already had other plans. i haven't decided to go with a lawyer yet. Did you? any info you could give me about what you've gone through so far would be awesome.
thanks

ole

You should be fine I think, as long as you are not trying to become a teacher or any job that has to do with kids