• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Fuck Prednisone, but some people like it...

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
A corticosteroid that I'm sure many of you have had to be on for some reason or another.
For some people, it can be awesome and it's like being on speed, you have unlimited energy (happened to me when I took it at 18, but I didn't exactly enjoy this as I couldn't sleep).

It's weird just how much the side effects of this drug can vary for people. This link for example has various different anecdotes https://themighty.com/2017/06/secrets-people-prednisone-side-effects/

The last time I was on it, I experienced mood swings like crazy, mostly horrible anxiety, but sometimes I just felt super uplifted and active and couldn't get myself to stop cleaning, organizing, it's like I was on adderall. But right now, all it does is give me the WORST fucking stomach cramps that not even Valium takes care of, and Valium has been known to take care of the most extreme cramping for me.

Good news is I'm halfway in, I started out 40mg for 5 days, now I'm on 2nd day of 20mg, then 10mg the last 5 days. Cannot wait for it to be over. I've been able to sleep OK but not until 5am even if I toss various sedatives at myself. This is the most "wheel of fortune" type of drug I can imagine. You can experience any kind of side effect day by day or depending on your body chemistry or even age.

Yea I’ve seen people need bilateral total hip replacements over this drug so I say tread with caution in any sort of “recreational” use.

When I was given Dexmethasone during chemo that was the only times I’d ever have energy. Soon as I got shot up with it I’d be much more alert. It gave me the energy to get through the treatments honestly, being part of the treatment itself.

-GC

I take prednisone when I get a gout flareup. It helps tremendously for the inflammation. but there are side effects.

IME: current adrenal fatigue caused by previous childhood chronic stress results in insufficient endogenous cortisol being produced in order to break down histamine which then leads to cytokine storm and inflammation flareups.

So if I eat some food which I know will cause that inflammatory reaction, I take about 10mg prednisolone with it.

I have severe chronic inflammation....the Dr's abd rheumatoidologists are still trying figure out exactly what's causing it though my sister also has the sane condition and my cousin has Eosinophilic Faciitis....but so far I have no rheumatoid factors in my blood and my eoisin levels are relatively normal but I get put on prednisone about once or twice a year and the side effects are absolutely unbearable....it's great for inflammation but the side effects make it almost not worth it.
I hate this medication but I'd rather take prednisone than the methotrexate they also wanted to out me on.
I wouldn't wish my condition on anyone in this world.... and my heart goes out to all chronic inflammation sufferers out there!!!

Yeah I'm actually starting to go completely crazy as a result of it. Like I can't slow down my thoughts, my pulse, I'm so on edge. I can't imagine having to take it for months.

Well, I might have to fucking take more of it, because in the last 3 days after ending the prednisone, I am in so much fucking pain it's like I just had the surgery. I was doing so well, managing headaches with a few tylenol or so, that was all I needed, or a little kratom. I took 4g of tylenol today, an aspirin, kratom, and while I did reduce my pain from a 10 to a 3, that's still not good. I follow-up with my ENT tomorrow.

As much as I hate this shit and the anxiety that comes with it, I feel way shittier not knowing how long I'll be in pain or if another taper pack will be necessary. I hope it is, I just want answers. I'd hate to be told "nothing is wrong, just keep taking tylenol etc." I don't get any mucus out now when I flush my sinuses. I think I got most of it out anyway, but if I did, I don't think I'd be in this much pain. They should have given it to me in 40,30,20,10 instead of skipping the 30. I really think that would've made a big difference. How was I expected to clear all of this shit out in 14 days if I was already down to 20mg? I was supposed to start flonase right away but I couldn't because my nose would've been a blood faucet. It was already randomly bleeding after the splints came out, so I had to wait. I highly doubt delaying this a day or two led to what I'm experiencing now.

I actually got a call from a nurse from that department earlier and it pissed me tf off. "You'd better be doing everything the surgeon said" like yeah, I am, why the fuck wouldn't I? You think I want this to not get better?

I don't really know, because some people get really really happy from this stuff and feel awesome. I've had it happen once or twice mid course, it's very random. Like spin the wheel of emotion day by day. It is mostly anxiety for me though.

And yea, fucking knew it, I was prescribed more. This time it's 40mg 3 days, 20mg 5 days, 10mg 2 days. Kind of a weird way of doing it. I think it's started helping because my head was absolutely destroyed earlier even after several tylenol and an ibuprofen. My head didn't hurt much at first so I'd decided I was going to wait a day and see if I improve. Nope, total opposite. So I guzzled them down, laid back down and woke up in far less pain, it's mostly in my left side which has to clear out more. My right sinus looks almost completely clear according to the ENT, and I believe it, because my right ear which usually rings like hell hasn't really been lately.

All in all just pretty peeved. I was improving so much and in a matter of days I've had headaches that felt like coming out of surgery. The surgeon confirmed with me that he'd meant to taper me 40,30,20,10, but somehow mistyped and missed the 30. I would have more than likely avoided this and the potential adrenal shock when I experienced profound stress and anxiety dropping from 40 to 20. This ENT clinic sucks total ass, like it's a miracle the surgery itself went well. Everything else, they've fucked up and I could probably file a lawsuit, but doubt it would get me anywhere. Mainly the issue was no pre-op info until 2 days before the surgery (with critical info about what meds I shouldn't have been taking and had been, resulting in a blood bath the first 2 days of recovery), and not being told I was having specific procedures done whatsoever until the day OF surgery. "oh yeah we're gonna have to straighten your septum and cut into your frontal sinuses too" like what the fuck, how is that ok?

Last edited:
My daughter was on this as a "preventative" puffer for asthma, when she was about 3yo lol.

It's definitely a godscend for people with asthma. You mean it was in her inhaler?
I had extremely bad asthma in childhood so it was always albuterol for me. Or being put on a nebulizer when it got really bad. I'm fortunate that I grew out of it around 14-15. I just remember waking up one morning a month into freshmen year of HS and just being like huh... I can breathe a lot better all of a sudden. I did have years of allergy shots so it could've contributed. But it was hell as a kid. You want to be a kid and run around and play, but then you're punished for it. I can still get a mild wheeze if I'm like, out shoveling in extremely cold weather. But I started to wear a mask outside and it helped avoid this completely. I've noticed a lot more people doing this and while mowing the lawn as well, a good way to avoid allergies. The pandemic really ironed into peoples heads how masks can be useful in other ways.

Bump. My inflammation is so bad I wanted to go to the hospital. If I knew they would give me prednisone I would go right away. But I really don't have the strength or energy. I almost don't care either except for the hurt. It gave me energy but I am not sure what else. Because then I switched to Pregabalin. I would rather just smoke heroin because it would almost make more sense. Thank you for the bump because I am almost dead, but . . . . not quite, and this is impossible really to go through this. The dose of prednisone was only 20mg's but it worked like a miracle.

The only side effect I could think of with prednisone was that I felt like I could be normal. I had energy to live and go on. This was my initial feelings. I only took ten doses of it but I felt like I could be instantly addicted.

Yeah, some people get highly euphoric and energetic effects from it. I had this happen once or twice. It is mostly being extremely on edge, sometimes it's like I stutter because I try to talk too fast.

Yeah, some people get highly euphoric and energetic effects from it. I had this happen once or twice. It is mostly being extremely on edge, sometimes it's like I stutter because I try to talk too fast.
That's the problem. It's some wacky stuff. I probably would need valium too. But I should research that idea too.

Prednisone dows need to be tapered. But I still find Pregabalin to be a lot stringer and more able pf dumming down.