Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Friend Abusing molly?

MountainTop

Greenlighter
Hey there,

I'm worried for a friend who appears to be abusing molly.

He started rolling on new years, taking 2-3 caps and is now taking 7-9 caps twice a week (past month or so).
He gave me a cap (haven't taken it yet), it's pretty much pure-white so I guess it's methylone or something.. and not completely mdma as he says.

Anyways, just looking for feedback. Thx!

Tell this friend to check out this bluelight area and those comedowns threads to understand what's waiting for him.

Basically, theres no worse drug to abuse than MDMA (at least that will fuck your brain the fastest when taking often and high doses)

He should realize that he will 'lose the magic' maybe forever if he continues.

find out whats in the caps before playing the guessing game?

You can't do anything to him except lowering his doses.

I explain everyting to my friends, about supplements, break btw uses, positive negative sides of using MDMA. Tried them to stop many times.
I did my best to my group but they didn't listen. I abandon them and don't think about anymore.

You should do the same or get addicted like them.

But first recommend them this site.

You can't do anything to him except lowering his doses.

I explain everyting to my friends, about supplements, break btw uses, positive negative sides of using MDMA. Tried them to stop many times.
I did my best to my group but they didn't listen. I abandon them and don't think about anymore.

You should do the same or get addicted like them.

But first recommend them this site.

I agree, but no misinformation about addiction please. MDMA is not an addictive drug, going out clubbing on MDMA once or twice a week is not addiction. Addiction is dependence upon a substance to function properly. Whether this is psychological (withdrawal symptoms of anxiety, depression, dire craving for the drug etc) or physiological (nausea, no appetite etc) depends on the drug, but MDMA does not produce dependence. It pisses me off when people talk about MDMA and addiction, because it simply does not happen. MDMA has dangers from abuse, but addiction is not one, or we'd see ravers popping pills every day to feed their addiction. This does not happen.

@OP - In my opinion, all you can do is provide your friend good, honest & unbiased advice for him to make his own decision. If the decision to use MDMA less frequently comes from anyone but himself, it's unlikely that it will last long before he goes back into his old habits. Directing him to this forum is not a bad idea, I often direct people here and tell them to message me, but nobody does. Unfortunately, people don't change easily unless they are willing to change themselves. You could probably tell him he's going to die and he'd still carry on doing what he's doing. You could try having a serious discussion with him about his drug use and see where it takes you.

Good luck.

there's more to addiction than physical dependence.

in this respect addiction to mdma is more like addiction to gambling or something than like addition to opiates. addiction doesn't have to mean daily use either. use and intense craving can be periodic rather than constant. a nice definition of addiction is "repeating behaviour despite obvious negative consequences".

sure, mdma isn't a very addicitive substance at all and stops working as intended with daily or excessive use, but that doesn't mean that people cannot get addicted at all.

Addiction is dependence upon a substance to function properly.
No, addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences.

I can understand why you'd say "Addiction to MDMA does not happen," if you only consider physical or psychological dependence to be "addiction," but for most people addiction is something slightly different. In fact, many people and even many BL'ers become addicted to MDMA use. It often doesn't last long, because the consequences of MDMA abuse appear very strongly and very quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. What's the max before you could overdose? The other day he took about 1.2grams.

MT

compared to other drugs, the ratio of effective dose to lethal dose is pretty high with mdma with around 1:30 (for alcohol it's something like 1:8). but then again, that's 3g of pure mdma and of course the risk of complications (overheating, ...) rises with increased doses.

1.2g is definitely a stupidly irresponsible amount! so while not lethal, it's very likely that such a dose leads to long term depression/anxiety/"brain zaps"/"mind fog" and all the other symptoms that people who did such doses report. normally this clears up given some time, but it can take months...

why is it that we have to many threads from people doing such huge doses lately? back in the day when people were overdoing it, that was more like 5-10 pills with around 40-60mg each. so that's more or less 500mg, not healthy at all and not something most would repeat, but doing >1g... that's just insane.

It's not really addictive, at least when tolerance and serotonin damage sets in. Just show him information about the consequences on this site and make him realize that he'll gain more out of it if he does it rarely. It takes months or even years to recover from abuse and isn't pleasant. The overdose from mdma is really high and you would probably die from a heart attack or seizure before he ever gets there. 1.2g does a lot of damage though, could be irreversible and definently will be if he keeps going at this point.

No, addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences.

I can understand why you'd say "Addiction to MDMA does not happen," if you only consider physical or psychological dependence to be "addiction," but for most people addiction is something slightly different. In fact, many people and even many BL'ers become addicted to MDMA use. It often doesn't last long, because the consequences of MDMA abuse appear very strongly and very quickly.

Your definition is most correct yes. But mine also isn't wrong, addiction does often involve requiring the substance to function properly. I don't regard dependence as addiction, instead they are both on the spectrum of addiction as a whole. To be dependent on a drug is on the heavy end of the addiction spectrum. The lower end would be psychological cravings and desires to take the drug every day. Simply fancying a gurn on the weekend is not a sign of addiction...

In fact, many people and even many BL'ers become addiction to MDMA use. It often doesn't last long, because the consequences of MDMA abuse appear very strongly and very quickly.

I disagree with this. Many people do not become addicted to MDMA, I don't know why people seem to think this is the case...? I spoke to my friend who works in a rehab clinic and he said that he's never even seen one MDMA patient. It's mainly alcohol, opiates, cocaine and some dopamine-based stimulants. I think you're kind of missing the point with the last sentence. The consequences of drug abuse are often very strong, and appear quickly, and yet still certain drugs keep you coming back for more (alcohol, opiates, amphetamines). By saying that it doesn't last long is confirming my point that MDMA is not addictive, because when the heavy side-effects kick in, users can stop taking it, unlike other drugs. MDMA is neither psychologically addictive, because it's actions on neural reward pathways simply aren't that strong, nor at all physiologically addictive.

sure, mdma isn't a very addicitive substance at all and stops working as intended with daily or excessive use, but that doesn't mean that people cannot get addicted at all.

Indeed, you can become addicted to anything. However, reporting it as a danger of MDMA is just fear-mongering because it's not exactly realistic. On the grand scheme of overall risks of MDMA, it's one of the lowest, which is why I brought up the issue in the first place. Misinformation/fear-mongering isn't cool with me.

I don't know how people could say that it isn't addictive at all though. The drug isn't but the high sure is. It feels like the most amazing, happiest experience in your entire life and you just want it to keep going. I didn't mind doing it every day for a week and always got a stong urge to redose, and did at first. Even though I realized the high was fading I just wanted to hold on a little longer (Buying pills that reduce mdma tolerance definently prolonged the abuse and didn't help me with my situation) and I kept pushing my break off until it got unbearable to keep going. I still think about molly at least once a day but know better than to do it before my 16 month break is finished.

Last edited:
It's easy to fall in love with it at first and abuse it as most people I know do but no one becomes "addicted" in the end because tolerance is a huge issue and everyone soon realizes that. Your friend will realize that too, it just depends when. Sit him down and discuss the issue with him, I wish I had a friend that did that. When you're depressed and suffer from derealization you feel alone, in most cases suicidal, and you have a lack of interest in anything. I felt like the only thing I had was to fall back on doing drugs and its part of the reason I started getting involved with every and any other drug I could get my hands on and almost dying numerous times throughout this year, not really giving a damn about my own life.

Last edited:
Why is he taking it if he knows it's cut with some random drug!? BUY A TEST KIT, and some better mdma.

We can all argue about what addiction is..
But frankly speaking, if you go out and thinking about mdma all the time, you're psychologically addicted.
Do not underestimate this.

My former group of friends said they can break everytime they want but they didn't. They are still using it for fuck sake.
Sometimes they switch to cocaine or 2cb(which is cut with something)..
Anyway, to OP;
Try show them the right way.
If they don't listen, don't bother. A really long comedown will make them understand to respect to drug.

It's a very very awesome feeling that you will always want to go back to, but you have to control it. You can't let it control you. I was doing it twice a month for 18 months or so 10 years ago. I backed off and do it once every 2-4 years now. I enjoy it so much more now then I did then. Save it for awesome concerts etc... or with a new girl etc...

I have a lot of respect for you JWills so don't get me wrong, consider this to be in the spirit of debate:

Many people do not become addicted to MDMA, I don't know why people seem to think this is the case...?
I apologize for using the word "many" ambiguously. Clearly, the vast majority of people who use MDMA do not become addicted, most of them not even close. However, I think the few who do are worth mentioning. There are plenty of anecdotal reports on bluelight and erowid by people suffering addiction to MDMA use, some of which involve rehab. If 1 in 100 American 20-somethings use MDMA and 1 in 1000 or 1 in 100 of them become addicted at some point, that's tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people. Furthermore, I think people on BL (or their friends, in OP's case) have a higher-than-normal chance of being those people.

Anyone who's been on BL for one or two years has seen plenty of reports from people who used MDMA weekly or more for months, despite gradually increasing tolerance and comedowns, and suffered for it. That brings me to:
going out clubbing on MDMA once or twice a week is not addiction.
I don't think this is true in every case. Plenty of people do report using MDMA weekly without problems, but at least as many people report suffering badly from that kind of use.