View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Frankincense Is Psychoactive

90sdance

Bluelighter
It's used to get high in parts of the middle east, and is said to be like very good marijuana - this is all i know. Does anyone know more about this ?

Such an interesting paper. I hope that future self-experiments with incensole will aid in the understanding of the biochemistry of emotion. I wonder if the TRPV3 channel (of which, incensole acetate is an agonist) is partially responsible for feeling 'hot-headed' when angry...it is a thermoceptor found across the skin, but also in the brain.

Do you have a report of your experiments with frankincense?

No lol. I saw on some travel show that the guy was doing it, so i googled it and found that article. I had some so tried a very small amount (in trepidation as im on meds and dont know if could interact). Anyway, i inhaled and got a mild effect - very refreshing, very alert and awake (as if brain fog had been removed), no actual stimulation in terms of energy, no euphoria - just a feeling of freshness and awakeness. Colors seemed attenuated, but no hallucinogenic effects. Again tho, this was a small amount - one small inhale.

Ive never inhaled it but I've used the oil therapeutically. Usually diluted with castor oil and rubbed on feet, chest and neck. I find it very relaxing, helps me sleep and lowers anxiety. Im glad i came across this post cause I kinda forgot about it and have been having a hard time recently. Will pick some up today. Cheers!

Ive never inhaled it but I've used the oil therapeutically. Usually diluted with castor oil and rubbed on feet, chest and neck. I find it very relaxing, helps me sleep and lowers anxiety. Im glad i came across this post cause I kinda forgot about it and have been having a hard time recently. Will pick some up today. Cheers!
the guy on the travel show seemed pretty effected so maybe take it easy. he compared it to good weed (before GM and sprays). i dont like most kinds of weed so im not really sure what that means. cbd-hemp is better but you dont get high off it.

I burn it pretty regularly. I’ve never felt any psychoactive effects. At least nothing powerful or noticeable.

Yea I’ve sublingually tried a small amount with no effect too..

-GC

-GC
in this study they used a gram of frankincense twice a day, "The treatment and placebo groups consumed two doses of 500-mg capsules of frankincense and chickpea flour, respectively. They took the doses daily after two meals in the morning and evening for 4 weeks."

it was a study on motor memory.

I think there is still little know about what trp receptors are doing in the brain

it's a potent anti-inflammatory

-GC
You put burning resin under your tongue ?

As i understand, it must be inhaled. This is only way it is taken. The exact method is by placing various pieces of Boswellia Resin (real resin not cheap frankincense sticks) on burning charcoals in a clay incense burner - they then put their keffiah over it to inhale however much it is that they inhale. Allot of smoke seems to be coming from the burner. It has a definite effect. Read the study i posted.

Last edited:
Hard to believe.I was exposed months of everyday inhaling strong fumes while being in altar.....apart,that i like the smell&atmosphere surrounding the service-there is no psychoactive effects at least for me.If the insense is made proper accordingly text from The Old Testament probably yes.One of ingredients described there is "Aromatic cane",which possibly could be cannabis buds....but thats are only suggestions......by now.

Right, the studies that say it's psychoactive, my own experience and the widespread custom of smoking it for its pscyoactive effects through the mid east must have no veracity ? Strange contrarian spirit running through this thread.

Of course is not psychoactive.At least a modern version-resin of Boswellia tree,Myrth or whatever u want.That's why is legal and common in Orthodox,Catholic church,perhaps sinagogs also.Nobody smokes frankensens in Eastern societies.Who tells you this?Are u lived there?I am.

Maybe it has a slight behavioral effect without being perceptible as a psychoactive. Calling something like chamomile tea psychoactive is a stretch. Calling it non-psychoactive isn't odd, given how mild it is.

The dude who compares something like this with cannabis is being hyperbolic and sensationalist. We may assume that until actual proof is presented.

Maybe it has a slight behavioral effect without being perceptible as a psychoactive. Calling something like chamomile tea psychoactive is a stretch. Calling it non-psychoactive isn't odd, given how mild it is.

The dude who compares something like this with cannabis is being hyperbolic and sensationalist. We may assume that until actual proof is presented.
hype herbally speaking, I'd say.

Of course is not psychoactive.At least a modern version-resin of Boswellia tree,Myrth or whatever u want.That's why is legal and common in Orthodox,Catholic church,perhaps sinagogs also.Nobody smokes frankensens in Eastern societies.Who tells you this?Are u lived there?I am.

Yea except it has literally been proven to be psychoactive. Keep in mind psychoactive doesn't necessarily mean getting high, the term isnt synonymous with Euphoria. For example, CBD is psychoactive but produces little in the way of Euphoria or hallucination - clarity of the mind is unaffected. It is powerful tho as it reduces anxiety. Not to say this has no potential for Euphoria by any means, i only took a small amount and got a definite alteration in perception. Nas, what do you mean the modern Boswellia tree ? is there an old model of the tree or something ? like a Boswellia 1.0 ? Its the same tree.

As for nobody smoking Frankincense in the middle east, iv explained already that it is inhaled and has been in various customs over the millennia (both for religious rites and as medicine - as with the Chinese). It is still done in Omen, Arabia, Yemen ect. Im not in the mood to give you a history lesson here, so il refer you to Google or a Library. More on how it improves cognition and so on

Yea except it has literally been proven to be psychoactive. Keep in mind psychoactive doesn't necessarily mean getting high, the term isnt synonymous with Euphoria. For example, CBD is psychoactive but produces little in the way of Euphoria or hallucination - clarity of the mind is unaffected. It is powerful tho as it reduces anxiety. Not to say this has no potential for Euphoria by any means, i only took a small amount and got a definite alteration in perception. Nas, what do you mean the modern Boswellia tree ? is there an old model of the tree or something ? like a Boswellia 1.0 ? Its the same tree.

As for nobody smoking Frankincense in the middle east, iv explained already that it is inhaled and has been in various customs over the millennia (both for religious rites and as medicine - as with the Chinese). It is still done in Omen, Arabia, Yemen ect. Im not in the mood to give you a history lesson here, so il refer you to Google or a Library. More on how it improves cognition and so on

I wouldn't call CBD psychoactive. Food, looking at pretty flowers and turning on a lamp are more psychoactive.

If that is your frame of reference, it may be argued that the concept of psychoactivity is being diluted.

That being said, i wouldn't mind trying this frankincense stuff.

Last edited: