• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

First time trying Nitrazepam - Bad to use recreationally after stims?

reflekt

Bluelighter
So I've acquired 10 5mg Roche nitrazepam pills.

A few hours ago I took a few 10mg Roche Valium pills (I was too stressed, that's why) and am now going to begin taking Dexedrine to aid in my studies.

After my final Dexedrine dose has ended, would it be a bad time to use Nitrazepam for a first time if I want to really enjoy it's effects? Also, considering I have Diazepam in my system (would that weaken it?)...

I feel like it would feel like nothing but relieving symptoms of anxiety and stimulation, and not have any of Nitrazepam's actual effects pronounced.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Nitrazepam is an old benzo, and I find it quite weak. Be careful though.

Yeah its old and weak be careful with it ;) like you would an aging door mouse

But mainly what I'm wondering is...

If I were to want quality recreational value from the nitrazepam... Would it be best to do it not as a comedown aid from amphetamines, but rather on it's own?

And why be careful? If it's so weak...

If you want to know what a drug is like always do it on its own, that's the only way.

Mr Lou didn't say it was weak he said he found it quite weak which is quite another thing altogether ;)

The benzo conversion chart might help a little, there is a link at the top of this page but Wiki has some good info, I'm assuming Mr Lou may be refrering to its possible effects on your motor control etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrazepam

Yeah, amongst the hypnotic benzos, it's one of the weakest, meaning it takes 5 to 10mg (1 to 2 pills) to achieve its goal where other newer hypnotic benzos need only 1 or 2mg (still 1 to 2 pills...) for the same effect.

BUT it is still a benzo, and shares all the dangers and counter-indications of all the benzos. Tread with caution with other sedatives, don't drive under the influence, etc. I should add that it's a benzo that *could* be dangerous for other reasons other benzos do not have: read the wikipedia page, concerning the fact it's a nitro-benzodiazepine and *could* be carcinogenous.

I think saying it's a weak benzo is misleading. The 5mg pills are ridiculously low dosage though, but if you take enough of them it's far from 'weak'. I wouldn't say diazepam is a weak benzo because 1mg of alprazolam feels stronger than 10mg of diazepam.

That said, this stuff is prescribed for sleeping problems. It will make you hazy/drowsy and sleepy so keep that in mind when using. Personally I don't like it at all because the effect is just so dirty and if I took 10mg of nitrazepam to get some sleep, I would feel pretty crappy in the morning.

Yeah, it has a long half-life too, worth mentioning, when the newer benzos tend to have shorter half-lives and are more suited to an eight hours sleep.

For me - nitrazepam was like flunitrazepam without the good parts... It has a shitty hangover feeling the next day if used for sleep and is, as stated, rather weak for a hypnotic.

A shitty benzo IMO.

New hypnotic benzos are so rare though, that's the thing. Nitrazepam's are so cheap, haha. In fact, these were given for free, so eh why not.

What would you consider "new" for benzos (year range)? Or any examples?

Unless you guys mean the z-drugs?

P.S. Popped 5mg Nitrazepam about 50 minutes ago and just crushed one 5mg Nitrazepam with the love of my life, my pill crusher, about 20 minutes ago.

We'll see how this goes. Hopefully I wake up before sunset... It's 6:30AM here lol. God I'm irresponsible.

For me - nitrazepam was like flunitrazepam without the good parts... It has a shitty hangover feeling the next day if used for sleep and is, as stated, rather weak for a hypnotic.

A shitty benzo IMO.

How long did this shitty hangover last?

As I said in this post, too, they were free, so meh.

EDIT: What if I took a 10mg Valium with it? Useless? Stupid? Probably.

The reason (I suspect) that there are less hypnotics is due to Z-drugs being quite popular. Zolpidem (Ambien) is a benzo-class Z-drug for this exact purpose.

Sorry that it's giving you anxiety though. :( That's pretty crap!

I think saying it's a weak benzo is misleading. The 5mg pills are ridiculously low dosage though, but if you take enough of them it's far from 'weak'. I wouldn't say diazepam is a weak benzo because 1mg of alprazolam feels stronger than 10mg of diazepam.

That said, this stuff is prescribed for sleeping problems. It will make you hazy/drowsy and sleepy so keep that in mind when using. Personally I don't like it at all because the effect is just so dirty and if I took 10mg of nitrazepam to get some sleep, I would feel pretty crappy in the morning.

I agree. Also, for me, 5mg nitrazepam is more sedating than 10mg diazepam. In fact, nitrazepam is one of the most sedating and strongest hypnotic benzos I've tried.

For comparison's sake, people here consider temazepam a "strong" benzo, when its equivalent dose is 20mg. I find nitrazepam a shit ton stronger than temazepam - 5mg is enough for sleep at the beginning of the therapy, and even after a few weeks 10mg was a sufficient dose. Larger doses easily induce either a really sedative coma with strong residual sedation and grogginess the next morning, or typical benzo tomfoolery and blackouts.

I found nitrazepam to be one of the strongest (not most potent) benzos.

It is stronger than temazepam yes.

Temazepam however is very weak.

They have nothing on lormetazepam, nimetazepam, midazolam, triazolam or flunitrazepam though.

They have nothing on lormetazepam, nimetazepam, midazolam, triazolam or flunitrazepam though.

Temazepam is very weak in terms of mg comparisons, or effects? I heard it's pretty damn fun... And I've seen it around so I may give it a try, if fellow BL'ers recommend?

I think I can find Triazolam and Midazolam... None of the others you listed though. What about Flurazepam? How's that?

On the topic of Nitrazepam... It didn't even make me sleepy very much. Mildly, but not much. However, it was a few hours after my last 5mg dose of Dexedrine (6 hour study session, 5mg every 2 hours).

So, it probably wasn't a smart time, haha... But it did aid in sleeping for sure. Only took a couple hous :/.

I'll be a day's sober for the next time I give it a try, lol.

Oh, P.S. Does Grapefruit Juice potentiate Nitrazepam? I can't find any info on whether its a 3-hydroxy benzo or not...

EDIT: Ah, I found that it is metabolized through the CYP3A4 enzyme which Grapefruit is an inhibitor of. Thus, potentiation possibilities... Correct?

Last edited:

Have yet to try nimetazepam, flunitrazepam and triazolam, as well as IV Midazolam. Orally, midazolam was disappointing for me; hypnotic, but not as strongly so as an equivalent dose of nitrazepam. Probably because it was low oral BA?

I find nitrazepam to be stronger as a sedative/hypnotic than lormetazepam, which is an anxiolytic-hypnotic between lorazepam and temazepam in my book. Excellent anxiolytic, excellent hypnotic, excellent benzo, but not as strong as nitrazepam I find.

reflekt: Flurazepam is a hypnotic benzo with some anxiolytic qualities that has a very long duration; its active metabolites have a half-life of up to 250 hours. It's not physically that sedating if you move around, but if you go to bed it'll help you sleep. Not partilcularly strong; however, the long half-life may lead to accidental accumulated doses in excess of what was desired due to increasing concentrations with subsequent doses of such a long-acting compound.

I agree. Also, for me, 5mg nitrazepam is more sedating than 10mg diazepam. In fact, nitrazepam is one of the most sedating and strongest hypnotic benzos I've tried.

For comparison's sake, people here consider temazepam a "strong" benzo, when its equivalent dose is 20mg. I find nitrazepam a shit ton stronger than temazepam - 5mg is enough for sleep at the beginning of the therapy, and even after a few weeks 10mg was a sufficient dose. Larger doses easily induce either a really sedative coma with strong residual sedation and grogginess the next morning, or typical benzo tomfoolery and blackouts.

I found nitrazepam to be one of the strongest (not most potent) benzos.

Temazepam and nitrazepam are both of the "non-potent" benzo group. 10 mg nitrazepam = 20 mg temazepam. But temazepam is a powerful hypnotic drug. I consider nitrazepam to be slightly more sedating than temazepam, but temazepam is more recreational and more euphoric and highly sedating itself. There is a good reason why there was a temazepam rage in Europe, especially the UK back all through the 1980's and 1990's. Not to mention, studies conducted on benzodiazepines have consistently shown it to be the most toxic benzodiazepine, killing a lot more people than all other benzo's combined in Europe. It was outlawed in Sweden and Norway for that reason. So don't tell me temazepam is isn't "strong". It is not potent on a weight basis (mg for mg), but its effects make some of the more "potent" benzos like clonazepam, alprazolam, and lorazepam seem like candy in comparison.

Have you ever read Dr. Michael Gibson's write-up on temazepam on wikidoctor? It's detailed info on temazepam right here, read it!

The most sedating benzo I have ever taken was triazolam. After that nitrazepam and than temazepam and lormetazepam tied for 3rd. Flunitrazepam #4 and midazolam #5.

The truth about flunitrazepam is that it is severely overrated. I find nitrazepam to be a more sedating benzo, same with temazepam and lormetazepam. The truth is, most ppl have not tried flunitrazepam and they just say they have. But when they try it - they realize that it is no different from any other strong hypnotic benzo. In fact, they find out its overrated. Lormetazepam, temazepam, nitrazepam, and triazolam are definitely stronger in sedative and motor-impairing effects than flunitrazepam in my experiences with all of them. There is a study that compares lormetazepam, flunitrazepam, and temazepam in sedation and they found that in the first 2 hours after ingestion, temazepam caused far more sedation and impairment than both lormetazepam and flunitrazepam (with flunitrazepam in second) - it kicked their asses. After two hours, temazepam and lormetazepam started to weaken but flunitrazepam continued to be strong because it is a long-acting benzo. here is the link to that study. Look at table 2 and 3 - comparing temazepam and lormetazepam % impairment and the number of effects. Temazepam killed lormetazepam. Healthy ppl given temazepam: 25.2% were impaired vs 17.1% impairment for lormetazepam. Its even worse for the ill patients that received the drugs. Table 4 shows 50% impairment for temazepam users for the first 2 hours after ingestion of the drug vs 32% for lormetazepam vs 49% for flunitrazepam.

Quote from study:

Compared to lormetazepam, temazepam shows more impairments in the first two hours, namely in the resorption phase and less decrements thereafter.

I guess lormetazepam and flunitrazepam are the ones that have got nothing on temazepam. ;)

Nimetazepam, triazolam and temazepam all the way! Midazolam is shit orally, unless u IV u don't get much. Lormetazepam is good, got nothing bad to say. Flunitrazepam is alright, but severely overrated! Nitrazepam and flunitrazepam are very similar, with nitraz being slightly more sedating. Otherwise, there is no difference other than the potency between the 2.

Nobody here has tried nimetazepam, unless they got a legit script from Japan. Its outlawed everywhere else in Asia and its not carried in the Western world (N. America, S. America, and Europe). Anyone claiming they tried it is very, very suspect IMO. So, we only know its all the rage in Asia just like temazepam was all the rage in Europe and Australia.

Last edited:
Have yet to try nimetazepam, flunitrazepam and triazolam, as well as IV Midazolam. Orally, midazolam was disappointing for me; hypnotic, but not as strongly so as an equivalent dose of nitrazepam. Probably because it was low oral BA?

I find nitrazepam to be stronger as a sedative/hypnotic than lormetazepam, which is an anxiolytic-hypnotic between lorazepam and temazepam in my book. Excellent anxiolytic, excellent hypnotic, excellent benzo, but not as strong as nitrazepam I find.

reflekt: Flurazepam is a hypnotic benzo with some anxiolytic qualities that has a very long duration; its active metabolites have a half-life of up to 250 hours. It's not physically that sedating if you move around, but if you go to bed it'll help you sleep. Not partilcularly strong; however, the long half-life may lead to accidental accumulated doses in excess of what was desired due to increasing concentrations with subsequent doses of such a long-acting compound.

Temazepam, flunitrazepam, nimetazepam, nitrazepam, triazolam, midazolam, lormetazepam, and loprazolam are the strongest benzo's in effect. Nothing compares to them.

Temazepam, flunitrazepam, and nimetazepam are Schedule III drugs under international law (under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances 1971).

Temazepam is very weak in terms of mg comparisons, or effects? I heard it's pretty damn fun... And I've seen it around so I may give it a try, if fellow BL'ers recommend?

I think I can find Triazolam and Midazolam... None of the others you listed though. What about Flurazepam? How's that?

On the topic of Nitrazepam... It didn't even make me sleepy very much. Mildly, but not much. However, it was a few hours after my last 5mg dose of Dexedrine (6 hour study session, 5mg every 2 hours).

So, it probably wasn't a smart time, haha... But it did aid in sleeping for sure. Only took a couple hous :/.

I'll be a day's sober for the next time I give it a try, lol.

Oh, P.S. Does Grapefruit Juice potentiate Nitrazepam? I can't find any info on whether its a 3-hydroxy benzo or not...

EDIT: Ah, I found that it is metabolized through the CYP3A4 enzyme which Grapefruit is an inhibitor of. Thus, potentiation possibilities... Correct?

Temazepam is weak based on mg to mg basis (20 mg = 10 mg diazepam). Oxazepam and flurazepam are even weaker (both are 25-30 mg = 10 diazepam). But temazepam is one of the most powerful hypnotics among benzos. Studies have shown it to be the most toxic as it has caused more overdose deaths than all other benzodiazepines. That's temazepam overdose alone or temazepam mixed with other CNS depressants.

To the person who said nitrazepam is old, sure are right!

1957 - Chlordiazepoxide
1959 - Diazepam
1961 - Oxazepam
1962 - Nitrazepam
1963 - Bromazepam
1964 - Temazepam
1964 - Nimetazepam
1965 - Flurazepam
1965 - Clorazepate
1966 - Nordazepam
1967 - Prazepam
1968 - Triazolam
1969 - Alprazolam
1969 - Medazepam
1971 - Lorazepam
1972 - Flunitrazepam
1972 - Flutoprazepam
1973 - Clonazepam
1974 - Halazepam
1975 - Quazepam
1976 - Midazolam
1976 - Brotizolam
1976 - Loprazolam
1977 - Camazepam
1978 - Estazolam
1979 - Tetrazepam
1980 - Adinazolam
1983 - Haloxazolam
1984 - Lormetazepam
1986 - Cinolazepam
1988 - Phenazepam

Those are the ones I know for sure. There are others that I don't know the year they were developed or synthesized. The majority of the above benzo's were developed in Austria, Germany, and Japan especially the early ones up until the mid '70's when the US began to develop some benzos also.

Last edited:
Temazepam and nitrazepam are both of the "non-potent" benzo group. 10 mg nitrazepam = 20 mg temazepam. But temazepam is a powerful hypnotic drug. I consider nitrazepam to be slightly more sedating than temazepam, but temazepam is more recreational and more euphoric and highly sedating itself. There is a good reason why there was a temazepam rage in Europe, especially the UK back all through the 1980's and 1990's. Not to mention, studies conducted on benzodiazepines have consistently shown it to be the most toxic benzodiazepine, killing a lot more people than all other benzo's combined in Europe. It was outlawed in Sweden and Norway for that reason. So don't tell me temazepam is isn't "strong". It is not potent on a weight basis (mg for mg), but its effects make some of the more "potent" benzos like clonazepam, alprazolam, and lorazepam seem like candy in comparison.

Have you ever read Dr. Michael Gibson's write-up on temazepam on wikidoctor? It's detailed info on temazepam right here, read it!

The most sedating benzo I have ever taken was triazolam. After that nitrazepam and than temazepam and lormetazepam tied for 3rd. Flunitrazepam #4 and midazolam #5.

The truth about flunitrazepam is that it is severely overrated. I find nitrazepam to be a more sedating benzo, same with temazepam and lormetazepam. The truth is, most ppl have not tried flunitrazepam and they just say they have. But when they try it - they realize that it is no different from any other strong hypnotic benzo. In fact, they find out its overrated. Lormetazepam, temazepam, nitrazepam, and triazolam are definitely stronger in sedative and motor-impairing effects than flunitrazepam in my experiences with all of them. There is a study that compares lormetazepam, flunitrazepam, and temazepam in sedation and they found that in the first 2 hours after ingestion, temazepam caused far more sedation and impairment than both lormetazepam and flunitrazepam (with flunitrazepam in second) - it kicked their asses. After two hours, temazepam and lormetazepam started to weaken but flunitrazepam continued to be strong because it is a long-acting benzo. here is the link to that study. Look at table 2 and 3 - comparing temazepam and lormetazepam % impairment and the number of effects. Temazepam killed lormetazepam. Healthy ppl given temazepam: 25.2% were impaired vs 17.1% impairment for lormetazepam. Its even worse for the ill patients that received the drugs. Table 4 shows 50% impairment for temazepam users for the first 2 hours after ingestion of the drug vs 32% for lormetazepam vs 49% for flunitrazepam.

Quote from study:

I guess lormetazepam and flunitrazepam are the ones that have got nothing on temazepam. ;)

Nimetazepam, triazolam and temazepam all the way! Midazolam is shit orally, unless u IV u don't get much. Lormetazepam is good, got nothing bad to say. Flunitrazepam is alright, but severely overrated! Nitrazepam and flunitrazepam are very similar, with nitraz being slightly more sedating. Otherwise, there is no difference other than the potency between the 2.

Nobody here has tried nimetazepam, unless they got a legit script from Japan. Its outlawed everywhere else in Asia and its not carried in the Western world (N. America, S. America, and Europe). Anyone claiming they tried it is very, very suspect IMO. So, we only know its all the rage in Asia just like temazepam was all the rage in Europe and Australia.
Not true.

I have tried Nimetazepam on various occassions (not from script) and i found it very overrated.

Give me Flunitrazepam, Flurazepam or Temazepam anyday over Erimin 5mg/Nimza 3mg