• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fired my Sponsor (AA Related)

I always thought the purpose of quitting drugs was to move on in your life. Why go to that 12 step shit and white-knuckle it? I don't see the logic in some one who is trying to quit drugs making the focal point of their life talking about drugs. Every meeting I left I was craving harder than before.

AA/NA = a bunch of low-lives dicksizing about how huge their habit was and how many bitches they fucked. Not my scene, but hey...

And to all the haters: I did 120 meetings in 120 days. While I admit I'm no expert, I can safely say I know a thing or two about the program...

You know the original AA Nazis were so strict they wouldn't even allow diabetics in their meetings? I guess shooting insulin to stay alive was considered a drug problem.

What worked for me was getting out of the house, hiking, surfing, and changing my diet to vegetables. It took me a week to detox at home, and after that I just made sure I kept busy...in other words, I developed an addiction to healthy activities.

I totally agree with what you said about AA focusing too much on drugs...that's too much of a trigger for a lot of us. And when I did go to meetings, several people said I wasn't truly "clean" because I took blood pressure medication. Fuck 'em. It's not a walk in the park to stay off your drug of choice, but it's easier than many of you think.

Buy the big book...then burn it. Get outside and do things you enjoy...surfing, for example.

AA NA are not about how nice it is to be wasted it's about what a struggle being an addict is and sharing hope for a better future and you don't have to believe in god anything can be a higher power i knew a couple of guys that used the meetings and those group of people as their higher power

Im hearing a lot of people saying aa/na is this way or that way, from what sounds to be personal experience. Not everybody in the program has the belief that if your taking medication prescribed from your doctor then your not sober. Also, terms like "white knuckle it" are exactly what aa/na isn't about, if you jump straight into doing a set of steps and participating in service you will be walking in the direction of recovery before no time. Lastly, if a group is following the way aa/na is laid out for a meeting there should be no whining and complaining about your day. Experience, strength and hope is how a message is given, and all the amazing messages I've heard only touched on experience briefly so people could relate.

^It doesn't work for everybody, but hey, what does? If nothing else it can offer a valuable support network for those in early recovery no matter what anyone thinks of the ethos or the steps and in that sense it's something I'd always advocate as something worth trying even though I found it didn't work for me. My own mental block on things as much as anything else I'm sure. It works for some, that much is abundantly clear far as my own experience of AA goes, no question on that score.