Finasteride for thinning hair..

Draven26

Bluelighter
I'm not going bald by any means and I'm 29 years old. I just want to prevent my hair from shedding or any more loss. I have very fine hair and it's noticeable when I spike it with hair gel. I would never shave my head bald because it takes away my features and makes me look like a criminal. I can't get away with going bald and I was wondering if Finasteride is safe to use at 1mgs per day for the rest of my life if I wanted. I know there are worries about gyno and low libido but I have a buddy of mine who's been using it for over 6 years and he hasn't had neither. I'm also on TRT taking 100mgs of Test Cyp weekly so I was just wondering what you guys thought about finasteride use? Is it worth it? Or no?

It really works best for male pattern baldness and not just thinning hair. Of course, MPB also begins with mild hair thinning and loss, but you would need to see a dermatologist to be sure.

There may be an increase risk of prostate and breast cancer in men taking finasteride as well as sexual side effects. The 5mg dose used in BPH has much clearer evidence of this, but the clinical trials for the 1mg dose werent exactly stellar. I will leave it to the experts here regarding its interactions with anabolic steroids as they have the experience I lack.

I'm not going bald by any means and I'm 29 years old. I just want to prevent my hair from shedding or any more loss. I have very fine hair and it's noticeable when I spike it with hair gel. I would never shave my head bald because it takes away my features and makes me look like a criminal. I can't get away with going bald and I was wondering if Finasteride is safe to use at 1mgs per day for the rest of my life if I wanted. I know there are worries about gyno and low libido but I have a buddy of mine who's been using it for over 6 years and he hasn't had neither. I'm also on TRT taking 100mgs of Test Cyp weekly so I was just wondering what you guys thought about finasteride use? Is it worth it? Or no?

If you are already predisposed to MPB then it's most likely to happen whether you like it or not, most people just accept it.. The literature on finasteride does state it only inhibits MPB whilst you are using it, it's a big call to consider inhibiting the body's androgen action indefinitely...

What about Nizoral shampoo? Would that help? I don't have a source for the 2% I'm just using Wal-Marts 1% Nizoral shampoo. And I don't think I have MPB I just have thin hair that's all but I'm very insecure about it! And I would never shave my head because I don't look good bald!

Is that not that shit with caffeine that doesn't work the nizzoral?

What about Nizoral shampoo? Would that help? I don't have a source for the 2% I'm just using Wal-Marts 1% Nizoral shampoo. And I don't think I have MPB I just have thin hair that's all but I'm very insecure about it! And I would never shave my head because I don't look good bald!

NIZORAL® (ketoconazole) is a broad spectrum synthetic antifungal agent which inhibits the growth of common dermatophytes and yeasts by altering the permeability of the cell membrane:

He's referring to the effect of ketoconazole as an androgen receptor antagonist guys. Although Nizoral has been in use for many years and (anecdotally and in a few studies) has some minor positive effect on MPB, the effect is really weak. It's not worth using if you're taking or plan to take a 5AR blocker.

He's referring to the effect of ketoconazole as an androgen receptor antagonist guys. Although Nizoral has been in use for many years and (anecdotally and in a few studies) has some minor positive effect on MPB, the effect is really weak. It's not worth using if you're taking or plan to take a 5AR blocker.

But if I do plan on taking finasteride will I get gyno or lose my libido? I was planning on only taking 1mg but let me know if you think it's worth it. I'm only scared of the sides because I don't want to get gyno or lose my libido you know?

Never even considered topical Nizoral would be effective for alopecia but it does seem to have a modicum of benefit for at least androgenic alopecia. Still doubt just thinning hair would have a positive reaction. It certainly wont hurt to try though.

A lot of people use Minoxidil. It seems to slightly work on some subjects (slowing the shed, or even stopping it or regrowth of a peach fuzz, on some patients).
I've used it a bit, but not very seriously since the treatment is time-consuming.
Finasteride and dutasteride are much less benign on the body though... Personnally I will never use them.

What bout Nioxin Shampoo? I heard that was good and I think I've used it in the past before. It's just expensive is all!

If Nioxin has an evidence (besides their website) of efficacy, this may be your best option. It seems to nourish and cosmetically thicken the hair but not prevent it from falling out. I was going to suggest a hair vitamin supplement earlier. The oral supplements generally contain much of what is in Nioxin (biotin, B5, other B vitamins, gelatin) but I just dont think they work for actual alopecia. Again, very safe so not going to hurt.

I doubt you'll develop gyno or sexual side-effects with finasteride, but without trying it you won't know.

Given your budget mate, I would just stick with the cheapo Walmart 5% minoxidil, and dissolve cheap high-strength melatonin tablets in the liquid.

If you're going to lose hair through androgenic alopecia though, there's not a lot you can do in the long run, although finasteride could slow the process.

I doubt you'll develop gyno or sexual side-effects with finasteride, but without trying it you won't know.

Given your budget mate, I would just stick with the cheapo Walmart 5% minoxidil, and dissolve cheap high-strength melatonin tablets in the liquid.

If you're going to lose hair through androgenic alopecia though, there's not a lot you can do in the long run, although finasteride could slow the process.

So let's say I have a callick in the back on my hair and it looks like a bald spot but really isn't and it's not even that noticeable.. would I apply the minoxidil on the scalp and if I get some on my hair would it matter or does it have to be exactly rubbed in on the scalp. Because I do have a lot of hair and I'm not balding by any means.. my hair is just a little thin.. not too much.. but noticeable for me! Let me know if I rub it on the hair and scalp or just scalp.

Proscar (much cheaper), dutasteride (you can get from your GP), RU, GH, hair transplants if available funds, minodixinal (you can make your own formula much more affordable)... good luck

I havent noticed any side effects(knock knock) and Ive been taking it for ufff, I think a good 10, maybe 15 years? Started in my late teens, I wasnt going bald but I noticed my hair thinning in the front (, kinda like you(tho If I think back, it mightve been just my sloppy hygiene lol). It definitely strenghtens your hair and completely halts your hair falling out. My dad started maybe 2 years after myself and has kept exactly the same hair line from when he started. Before that his hairline was receding visibly.

These days I usually take one every two days and one every day if I feel like my hair is thinning again. My dermathologist didnt warm me of any serious side effect (but I think im her longest taking patient of this drug and one of the first if not the first). Libido definitely hasnt decreased from this. And in any case, one of the side effects of this drug is that it PREVENTS a few forms of cancer that are sadly in my familiy line prevalent.
All in all, it helped, have all my hair left, no side effects. Why be bald if you dont have to be.
good luck

Last edited: