Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Worst Sequels To Good Movies

Yeah Mike you must of been watching a different Jaws movie. I even stole that line from a movie critic.

souny-

good breakdown there and I think you've got a point...but in the end it is in the minority of belief and that isn't a bashing about your opinion at all because you obviously loved the first two films and just felt let down by the third. For many it was a rebirth of the greatness that was Indiana Jones. Most people love one liners. (I get a chuckle out of them here and there when the timing is right) This time the girl turned bad...which was different at least. It is the most light-hearted Indy by far...and probably what turned you off about it.

and another WOW man...you don't like Aliens either...another sequel considered as an arguable rival of its predecessor. I admire your strong opinions about these films and while I may not agree, I respect your opinion.

The cheese factor thrown into a film can make or break a film. Either the audience loves it or they hate it. Regarding Alien/Aliens...you have two completely different films. One is a suspense/thriller/horror masterpiece while the other could be considered a potential pioneer of what is now known as a popcorn flick.

Aliens has the one liners...and plenty of them. "GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!" I think most people will remember Bill Paxton simply for playing Hudson alone. The concept and design of the space marine equipment was simply a landmark for the genre at its time. It still looks amazing today...and at the cost of $20 million.

Newt wasn't really a bad character. Compare Newt to so many other child characters and I think you'll see she's probably one of the best.

Oh and yeah...watching Marines get slaughtered and then kick ass later was fun too.

And sorry...but that final battle with Sigourney yelling "Get away from her you BITCH!" was a joy to watch after seeing Bishop ripped apart...excellent effects. Big props to the musical score for Aliens too...top notch stuff.

Perhaps the films stands for the kind of film you dislike, but for pure entertainment factor...Aliens is up there.

There are some, not me, who would undercut Alien, calling it a "Haunted House in space". I think it makes a point; thematicaly its nothing new. Still, it's the pinacle of the genre, if it infact belongs in the genre. Aliens isn't better or worse, its completely different. The film employs very different kinds of tension. I really enjoyed the part where there were cornered in the room, with the sentinel guns blasting (directors cut only), and then when they came in through the cieling. I liked the role of brock (or whatever the company man's name was). Newt makes better sense in the directors cut, it fleshes out the mother-daughter relationship between her and Ripley more. I think I could have done with more Deception and deciet from Weiland-Yutai (though, if i had my way, the alien franchise would run like a 5 hour conspiracy theory/law and order detailing the company's exploits).

What sucks is Alien Resurection. worst Sequal Evar. And to think that the people responsible for it claimed to make it as an apology for everybody who went to see Alien 3, and didn't like it becuase it "wasn't enough like Aliens, plus Ripley killed herself in the end, which was gay".

Worst sequals list:

Alien Resurection

Rocky V

Scream 2,3

Godfather 3

Starwars 1,2,6, and probably 3

Startrek (take your pick. Somebody dressed as a klingon should stand by the box office and poke you in the eye when you buy your ticket, just to hammer the point home that this wasn't the best use of $7.50)

Red Dragon and Hanibal - manhunter was so much better, there was no saving that other damned movie. Though I did enjoy the Comedia del Arte scene in Florence.

Batman and Robin - If given the choice between seeing 8 hours of holocaust footage, or 5 minutes of george cloony invading Mr. Freeze's secret ice cream factory lair, i'd hesitate, then ask for the nazi highlight reel.

steelraver said:
Yeah Mike you must of been watching a different Jaws movie. I even stole that line from a movie critic.

well, let's see:

1. the shark attacks the friggin' boat
2. you see it when hooper is in the shark cage
3. you see it when quint fires the barrels into it

etc, etc. now it is true that you don't see it when it's busy eating people (excluding quint).

it is also intertesting to me that more than one person has said rocky 5 - to me only the first and last are worth watching. 3 and 4 are some of the worst movies ever made.

Come on Mike your kidding me! The first time you saw Jaws you didn't think it was suspenseful every time they were around the water. The shark was not seen until the end of the movie yet you were aware of it right from the 1st scene. That movie to this day is still the scariest movie I ever seen and I still will not go in the ocean over my head.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it but where it was a semi-good movie on its own, it fell drastically short of the original : Jurassic Park 2 & 3.
The first is just so powerful in my opinion and the second was like a advertising promotion for raptors as a security team or something though Jeff Goldblum provided the typical one-liners and such we'd come to expect in the Ian Malcolm character, they just fell short of the first one. I mean how the hell do you top this part?

Ian Malcolm: "God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs..."
Dr. Ellie Sattler: "Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth..."

(well maybe its that I'm a chick, I love that part so much)

the 3rd was a bit better since they'd got Grant back but the whole cell phone in the dino's belly was just too cheesy, though I must say the close-ups of the teradactyl were great. Those damn things creeped me out, not that its that hard but still.

just my 2 cents!

~Shelly~

*does exotic belly dance*

steelraver said:
The first time you saw Jaws you didn't think it was suspenseful every time they were around the water.

don't get me wrong - i love the first one. definitely one of my 50 top 5 films.

I would have classed Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as the worst of the series by far.

It went slapstick, the lame attempts of comedy by pairing Indy up with a material-girl (the original odd couple!) and the little asian boy who never said anything worth listening to.

But you certainly have some good reasons for disliking the 3rd.

Speed 2

Scream 2 & 3 (already mentioned, but they really sucked)

Highlander 2

Men In Black 2

Any Disney "straight to video" 2 (Lion King 2, Lady and the Tramp2, Beauty and the Beast 2)

Austin Powers 3 - Goldmember

Mortal Kombat 2

...and any other sequel movie that the original actors aren't in....

And I'm sorry but I'm just so offended by Sounygorda's hatred toward The Last Crusade...

Crusade replaces the girl with a cheesy obvious character, Henry Jones.. and replaces all the style with bad one liners.

Um, NO, crusade did not REPLACE the female figure in this film...the female figure was actually rooting for the bad guys at the same time while playing on Indianas's emotions..."OH GEEZ SHE'S THREE DIMENSIONAL! RUN AWAY"...

I don't think she was the BEST leading lady, but she was definitely not REPLACED by Connery, you're just completely wrong there.

The lack of a stylish villain detracts from establishing the good vs. evil theme

Um, its Indiana VS the Nazis...I know Lost Ark was that as well, but he doesn't get Hitler to sign his father's diary now does he? ;)

then indy kneels, rolls and jumps. how does he know how to time these moves so exactly to avoid the blade?

He's Indiana Fucking Jones, you really need to ask that? You're praising a movie where some shaman rips out some guy's heart right out of his chest and you complain of Indiana kneeling on time?

I can't even respond to the rest of your post. I just don't see what you view as so bad about it. It makes no sense.

The ending was fucking lame and tried too hard to be dramatic after such an over the top parody of adventure films (think of indy being chased by the tank through the desert towards the edge of the cliff).

HAHAHA HOLY SHIT. I don't know how you can logically think that a...um..."cart race through the mines" is less than a parody of adventure films than Indiana facing a fucking Nazi tank...

I just can't look at this post anymore.

no time to read other posts, but my vote is for dumb and dumberer may have been said, but its still the worst

^^^not a fan of good slime? haha.

I'll throw Beverly Hills Cop 3 out there too...the first sequel was at least decent.