Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Pick one scene or image that you feel represents cinematic genious!

dont want to spoil much (hate when people do that about good movies) but

donnie darko - near end, family by tree + girl

a scanner darkly - clinic floor

^ you can always use the spoiler tag

this: [spoiler=donnie darko]plot spoiler for donnie darko goes here[/spoiler]

becomes this:
plot spoiler for donnie darko goes here

alasdair

Movie: vanilla sky
Scene: tom: "do you remember what you told me last? every passing minute; is another chance to turn it all around"
pene "ill find you again"
tom : "ill see you in another lifetime, when we are both cats"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxWltmYut8 < scene link

Director: cameron crowe
What it did for me: letting go and acceptance is a beautiful thing.

...kytnism...:|

Normally it's the relatively mundane parts of a film that I feel truly represent genius (if it exists in a film), as opposed to huge plot points. A good director/cinematographer can create beautiful atmosphere within what would otherwise be simple transitory passages, much like how a good DJ creates moments of pure genius within the short gaps between songs.

That being said, I still can't decide on one scene!

L2R said:
goodfellas

d: martin scorsese

ray liotta takes lorraine bracco to a club. the long shot begins as they exit a car, walk through a lined up crowd outside, inside a rear entrance, though a back tunnel area, through a busy kitchen, out in a packed club and to a newly setup table as a comedian is going through the start of his routine all the way interacting with a plethora of background characters.

it taught me that such amazing feats of organisation and coordination can be done, while i couldn't direct three people to tie their shoelaces simultaneously. the complexity of that shot is astounding.

here's the shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWYe-Ef3u5M

Movie: Amelie
The scene: sweeping and wrapping crane shot as she skips rocks into the stream, camera goes from behind to in front while twisting, ends level with water as rock skips to foreground.
What it did for me: reminded me what a master craftsman can do with both a camera and a solid story, that there was hope for the future of beautiful cinema.

Movie: Girl With A Pearl Earring

Image: Scarlett posing as the camera slowly zooms in with her looking (shadows and all) 100% identical to the actual painting.

Director: Don't know, don't care.

What it did for me: Brilliantly climaxed an otherwise piece of shit crap movie.

Movie: Triumph Of The Will
triumph5.jpg

Yeah I know it's Nazi propaganda. But you really can't look at that picture and not be impressed by Reifenstall's cinematic vision. Supposedly the award ceremony at the end of Star Wars copied this sequence.

Or this awesome shot from DW Griffith's Intolerance
griffith_intolerance_2.jpg

Probably a big influence on Triumph Of The Will. That there is an actual full-scale set. No models or trick photography. CGI ain't got shit on this.

My favorite exchange of Dialog is from Double Indemnity with Barabara Stanwyck
Phyllis: Mr. Neff, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening about eight-thirty. He'll be in then.
Walter Neff: Who?
Phyllis: My husband. You were anxious to talk to him weren't you?
Walter Neff: Yeah, I was, but I'm sort of getting over the idea, if you know what I mean.
Phyllis: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour.
Walter Neff: How fast was I going, officer?
Phyllis: I'd say around ninety.
Walter Neff: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.
Phyllis: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time.
Walter Neff: Suppose it doesn't take.
Phyllis: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles.
Walter Neff: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder.
Phyllis: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Walter Neff: That tears it.

The entire first scene of "From Dusk 'til Dawn" is the one that i forgot. Up until the opening credits start rolling is IMO one of the most gripping opening scenes in cinematic history.

L2R said:
goodfellas

d: martin scorsese

ray liotta takes lorraine bracco to a club. the long shot begins as they exit a car, walk through a lined up crowd outside, inside a rear entrance, though a back tunnel area, through a busy kitchen, out in a packed club and to a newly setup table as a comedian is going through the start of his routine all the way interacting with a plethora of background characters.

it taught me that such amazing feats of organisation and coordination can be done, while i couldn't direct three people to tie their shoelaces simultaneously. the complexity of that shot is astounding.

You know I have always thought that too. I guess great minds think alike :)

It really just captures the whole essence of the atmosphere and what it really would have been like to walk through the back of the club to an awaiting waiter with a chair and seats.

Evil Dead 2.
Ash laughing along with the lamp (and other things in the room)
Being John Malkovich.
When he enters his own tunnel.
American Psycho.
His ridiculous killing spree, including the spin around door in a lobby...
sorry for being so blunt, im stoned :)

All excellent, but the Evil Dead 2 scene is my favorite of the 3.

Movie: Orgazmo
Director: Trey Parker
Scene: The hero is being directed to fuck the Ass-Fuck Twins in a bed (and room) which is covered in an American flag motif.

Why: I think it sums up America pretty well, and is just fucking hilarious. Also very stunningly visually whilst on shrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh man

Tombstone

the end duel scene when doc holliday steps out from behind the tree instead of wyatt erp.

Ringo: "Well, I didn't think you had it in you"

Doc: "i'm your huckleberry"