Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Pick one scene or image that you feel represents cinematic genious!

What movie: Donnie Darko
What Scene: When Donnie and Frank are sitting in the movie theatre, after Donnie has just burned down Patrick Swayze's character's house.
What happened: Donnie is sitting in the theatre, and he turns to frank and asks "Why do you wear that silly rabbit suit?"
Frank turned to Donnie and said "Why do you wera that silly human suit?"
what it did for me: MAde me think for hours, I thought that was one of the most brilliant movie scenes ever....

Movie:
In the Bedroom
Scene:
The scene where Frank is trying to stop the fight between Richard and Natalie. Natalie is upstairs screaming to get the kids to stay and you hear loud arguing silenced by a loud pop. She runs downstairs, sees Frank dead and screams "Nooo", the camera pans out slightly to show the Frank's mangled face; Richard sitting at the table facing away with a gun in hand.
Director:
Todd Field
Actors:
Nick Stahl, Marisa Tomei, William Mapother
What it did for me:
The movie was somewhat slow but the whole thing was so realistic it scared me. The image of Frank's face really shocked me to where I felt sick. I've never felt sick from seeing any violence in movies. It really portrayed how shocking and sudden death of a loved one can be especially when witnessed. The gunshot wound on Frank's face just seemed different and more realistic than any other movie I've seen.
--I have another one that I just had to add
Movie:
Kids
Director:
Larry Clark
Scene:
A bunch of teenagers and kids are hanging out in the park smoking, drinking, etc. Casper skates off and the camera follows. He does a couple tricks and runs into a black guy.
"Hey, watch where you fucking skating!"
"Watch where you walk, yo."
"What the fuck'd you say"
"What I said"..dialogue goes on
The black guy's pissed off and says "You wanna get fucked up!" they go on talking shit and a couple kids come up behind him and smack him in the head with their skateboards and all the kids just swarm him with kicking, punching, smacking him with skateboards. A strange version of "Casper the friendly ghost" is playing. They hold the black guy up, Casper takes one last swing with the skateboard right in his face and he drops to the pavement covered in blood not even moving. Telly looks down on and spits on his head.
What it did for me: At first it really excited me to see the initial fight and all the kids overpowering an adult. Made me feel powerful as a teenager. After seeing the poor guy covered in blood and not moving it was kinda disturbing but that's typical with Larry Clark films.
[ 27 February 2003: Message edited by: Brown Acid ]

Movie: Gangs Of New York
Director: Martin Scorsese
Actors: Daniel Day Lewis, Leonardo Di Caprio
Scene: Bill The Butcher (Daniel Day Lewis) explains to the Sheriff how its been quiet the last 3 months and trouble arises as the death of a rabbit causes the old dead rabbit gang to reappear. He starts of by staring for lengthy moments at the Sheriff (John C Reily), then tells him that only he has to go and find who killed this rabbit laid out in front of him. Slowly he starts to cry and make it out as if he cares about the poor little rabbit with "BRILLIANCE", he then suddenly stops crying and looks into the Sheriif's eye once again like he doesn't give hoot about the dead rabbit, but really is dying to know who did it.
Impact: Basically shows what acting is all about and fully admits and shows the character of William Cutting (Bill The Butcher) in the film.

like onetwothreefour i'll go without hesitation for
mulholland drive
david lynch
the whole silencio scene
pure beauty, pure emotion, incredible aesthetic
lynch is a genius

What Movie? Natural Born Killers
What Scene? Scagnetti is walking through the federal prison with the guards, talking about the career and whatnot, and then he starts talking about the day his mother was murdered in a shooting spree. There is really creepy music building up, he says "boom", and all of a sudden, the sound from the scene cuts out, only his mouth is still moving, the music continues to build, and out of nowhere, it cuts to a shot of two butterflies mating....
What director/actor? Oliver Stone
What did it do for you?
I don't know why that scene affects me so much, but everytime I watch it, it sends major chills down my neck. Quite possibly one of the most beautiful/amazing things I could think of...that film is amazing!

Holy shit, I forgot that I even started this thread! I don't think there is a single post that I disagree with. I'm gonna have to think of another scene, image or movie that I can post...

Movie - 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY
Director- Stanley Kubrick (aka "God")
Scene the finale, the appearance of The Starchild. This scene has a deep dramatic & emotional impact if you see the film in a theatre (Roger Ebert once said that seeing "2001" in a theatre is like being at The Grand Canyon wheras seeing it on TV--any TV--is like looking at a postcard of the Grand Canyon).
Runner ups: "2001"--the famous "flash forward" where the monkey throws the bone/first weapon into the air which turns into the spaceship thousands of years later.
also
MULHOLLAND DRIVE, directed by David Lynch. The scene with the alternating fantasy & desperate maturbating by Diane. One of the most stunning portrayals of lonliness & depair in film.

What Movie?
The Matrix
What Scene?
The final scene when Neo finally sees the world as green flowing numbers.
What did it do for you?
I normally don't like action movies, but this one was so smart, and this was the moment when you finally knew Neo was going to kick some fucking ass. What a rush. Brilliant music, color, everything.
---
What Movie?
Blazing Saddles
What Scene?
The first scene, when the Chinese immigrant workers passes out, and the cowboy boss says "Drop that chink a day's pay for napping on the job."
What did it do for you?
My jaw dropped, the whole movie is so funny, but at first it's shocking, like "is it ok to laugh at this?" But as the movie progresses, you realize it is an exquisite critique of racism.
---
What Movie?
Casablanca
What Scene?
The second to last scene, when Bogart turns the gun on the French policeman, and you realize he's staying in Casablanca.
What did it do for you?
In a movie full of wonderful twists, complex characters, and moral uncertainty, you finally discover the outcome, and understand Bogart's character in full, finishing with the now classic line, "We'll always have Paris." Wow.

WOW a lot of good pics in this thread. Off the top of my head heres one of mine.
Movie: Donnie Darko
The scene: At the very end, that shot of donnie sitting on his bed laughing his ass off.
What it did for me: It was a look at some one who has come to accpet there fate and is ok with it. More then that the can even get on last laugh in before the curtin falls. My hope when my time comes, I can finally get the joke.

Movie: Pulp Fiction
Scene: "Oh, man... I shot Marvin in the face..."
What it did for you: That was just so fucking unexpected! Sort of philosophical in a way, because they were in the middle of a conversation about destiny and divine intervention and without warning one of them suddenly dies violently at the worst moment. Too often in Hollywood movies you can see deaths coming from a mile away, or people waiting to die at a particularly poetic moment. In reality, death can come knocking at the least expected time, and there's nothing poetic or predictable about it.
[ 11 March 2003: Message edited by: Morrison's Lament ]

Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
scene: Alex listening to Beethoven's 9th on his bed.
why? as a fan of montage work, I was captivated by the sounds of Ludwig Van playing over scenes of death, decay, and a happy, evil Alex looking like a vampire. It was a temporary dive into the mind of a being of violence and, with the narration, articulating the pure bliss of the character to the sounds of classical music. Kubrick's weaving of images with the soundtrack is, of course, a reason why this film has such critical acclaim.
The threesome scene is a close second.

Movie: Apocolypse Now
Director: Francis Ford Coplella
The Scene: The end where Brando get killed with splice in footage of the locals sacraficing a water bufflo all while the doors the end is playing.

What it did for me: Showed me why sometimes we have to kill our heros,gods,role models to det ourselfs free to become what we want.(figureitvly speaking of course :D )

movie:seven
scene: pitt's character has just found out his wife's head is in a box
the raw emotion that is conveyed through pitt's facial gestures after realizing that his wife and unborn child have been brutally murdered and the moral and legal delimma he faces(consequences of killing the killer)

scene: the one in three kings where they get in the standoff....cuts and slow motion for all the shots being fired and hitting their targets...music plays in about halfway through...very nice

Movie: The Matrix
Scene: When Neo is just about to go into the real world and Morpheus gives his speech about what if you were unable to wake from a dream, how would you tell the difference between the real world and the dream world.
Why: I have had an experience where I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming or what was real. It scared the hell out of me. To this day I don't know what happened.

What Movie? The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

What Scene? 3-way standoff at the end; a culmination of 3 men's journey. A constant battle of wits, as well as a constant reliance on eachother brought them to this point. The cinematography and editing is flawless, but it's Ennio Morricone's music that makes this scene pure genius. Filmmaking perfection.

Which Director? Sergio Leone

What did it do for you? It blew me away on first viewing and still does to this day.

For those who have seen the film, or for those who never intend on seeing it, here is scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhk

But I must stress, if you haven't seen the film yet and you want to, i'd advise you don't watch the YouTube clip. Trust me when I say it's best to watch everything that comes before it first.

^^^ Great movie one of my favorites as well.

What movie? Unforgiven.

What scene? The ending where clint eastwood is standing over gene hackman and gene hackman says i don't deserve this. Then clint eastwood say's deserves got nothing to do with it and you hear the gunshot go off.

What director? clint eastwood.

What did it for me? Clint eastwood turned from what seemed to be a harmless old man into a ruthless killer out for revenge as soon as he found out his friend ned (played by morgan freeman) was killed for no reason by gene hackman. It was also the fact that gene hackman got killed because he did indeed deserve it for killing ned for no reason.

Those who know me could probably already guess which scene I'm going to pick

Movie: The Royal Tenenbaums
Scene: Narrator: "As always she was late." Cue Nico's "These Days" and Margot walks off the the Green Line bus towards Richie. Slow-motion. Margot: "Stand up straight let me get a look at you. What's so funny? Well it's nice to see you too." They hug.
Director: Wes Anderson
What it did for me: This scene speaks to me very strongly about how love can be conveyed and shared without words.

0,1020,168928,00.jpg

goodfellas

d: martin scorsese

ray liotta takes lorraine bracco to a club. the long shot begins as they exit a car, walk through a lined up crowd outside, inside a rear entrance, though a back tunnel area, through a busy kitchen, out in a packed club and to a newly setup table as a comedian is going through the start of his routine all the way interacting with a plethora of background characters.

it taught me that such amazing feats of organisation and coordination can be done, while i couldn't direct three people to tie their shoelaces simultaneously. the complexity of that shot is astounding.

L2R said:
goodfellas

d: martin scorsese

ray liotta takes lorraine bracco to a club. the long shot begins as they exit a car, walk through a lined up crowd outside, inside a rear entrance, though a back tunnel area, through a busy kitchen, out in a packed club and to a newly setup table as a comedian is going through the start of his routine all the way interacting with a plethora of background characters.

it taught me that such amazing feats of organisation and coordination can be done, while i couldn't direct three people to tie their shoelaces simultaneously. the complexity of that shot is astounding.

Very interesting choice.