Votes: 5 10.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters

continuousbeing2

Bluelighter
PTA, Daniel Day Lewis, one of the coolest one sheets ive seen in a long time. Based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! I cannot wait to see this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/

therewillbeblood-poster.jpg

I am anxious to see how Anderson handles an adaptation. I am also anxious to see how he handles Danial Day Lewis... or rather, how Danial Day Lewis handles Anderson. All in all, I am uber-hyped about this.

I will see this simply because PTA is directing it. It looked cool in the trailer.

Just came back from a screening of this and I was blown away. Daniel Day Lewis gives maybe the best performance I have ever seen. Some parts were incredibly hard to watch, and I am still not sure what the point of it all truly was, but amazing. Looked great as well. Plus, amazing score. Best I've heard in a while.

I highly highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

This is the best film of 2007.

Loosely adapted from Upton Sinclair's novel Oil!, which most people have probably never even heard of much less read, Let There Be Blood is about oil man Daniel Plainview making his fortune at the turn of the 20th century in California. He's a money hungry swindler, the kind of self-made capitalist titan that is synonymous with the American legacy - Plainview in particular has a certain mania, a single-minded intensity tinged with insanity.

Daniel Day-Lewis is extraordinary in what is easily the best acting performance of the year and probably of this decade (as good as he was in Gangs of New York, there was just too much DiCaprio). I could not take my eyes off him. Plainview goes from slightly insane self-made millionaire to a reclusive, very insane multi-millionaire and every second of it is awesome to behold. Even the over the top ending takes nothing away from it. It harkens back to the kind of transcendent performance of a vintage Marlon Brando. Every other actor in the film is made to look amateurish in comparison, but Plainview commands the lion's share of screen time so it's irrelevant. Paul Dano (the mute kid from Little Miss Sunshine) plays the the principal antagonist, an evangelical preacher. He is way out of his league next to Daniel Day-Lewis, but it doesn't matter.

The film is beautifully shot in an understated way, and the score from Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood, which relies heavily on dissonance, is superb.

Let There Be Blood owes a lot to Citizen Kane and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I can't say if it has a larger political, social or metaphysical message that is intended to reveal some hidden truth about human nature. It doesn't matter. This is one of those rare films where the raw force and virtuosity of a single performance explodes all notions of convention, form and content and rockets the film into some higher plane where it exists next to Jesus and Ghandi.

It's great to see PTA doing a huge story like this once again. I'm looking forward to this.

film: there will be blood

i am very interested on how this book will be handled

*add poll

There Will Be Blood

This film is truly fantastic, PT Anderson is at the top of his game, brilliant performance by Daniel Day Lewis, he'lll surely get the oscar. GO see this great movie.

I can't can't CAN'T wait to see this. PT Anderson is one of my absolute favorite directors. It's a real treat when we get to see another glimpse of his genius.

I drove 45 mins to Dallas to see this movie, as it hasn't opened nationwide everywhere yet, but it will. This film is something else for sure, so original, I wont even say shit about it because seeing this is believing it. This is even different for Anderson, I'm kinda getting sick of it getting compared to Citizen Kane and stuff like that, its in its own class.

i'm excited of this as well. Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favorite actors.

W-O-W! 8o I really don't think I'm good enough with words to show just how much I enjoyed this film. Also, as an aside, I just found out that
"Music for the film was composed by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood."
Rad attack! :D

NSFW:
Ok, just to get a few things cleared up...

Eli and Paul were actually suppose to be identical twins but different people, right? I mean, we weren't suppose to assume that Eli had some sort of deranged split personality. At least, I don't think so. Regardless it was entertaining to watch Plainview's reaction to seeing Eli for the first time.

Also, do you think H.W. realized that man wasn't his father's brother? The fire he started went straight to his 'uncle's' bed, not Daniel's. Either that or he was upset by someone else coming into their family. I just wasn't sure. What'd you think?

daniel day-lewis is amazing. considering todays average film viewer i'd say his performance alone could put the slower paced anti climactic (by todays standards) storyline into a more widely accepted category.

however i even found myself seeing some things that could have been edited out w/o taking anything away from the film

I plan on seeing this tomorrow. The one-horse town takes forever to show films that are in limited release,but we finally got it this weekend. :) :) :)

AmorRoark said:
W-O-W! 8o I really don't think I'm good enough with words to show just how much I enjoyed this film. Also, as an aside, I just found out that
"Music for the film was composed by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood."
Rad attack! :D

NSFW:
Ok, just to get a few things cleared up...

Eli and Paul were actually suppose to be identical twins but different people, right? I mean, we weren't suppose to assume that Eli had some sort of deranged split personality. At least, I don't think so. Regardless it was entertaining to watch Plainview's reaction to seeing Eli for the first time.

Also, do you think H.W. realized that man wasn't his father's brother? The fire he started went straight to his 'uncle's' bed, not Daniel's. Either that or he was upset by someone else coming into their family. I just wasn't sure. What'd you think?

I just thought he was acting out.

hmm. i thought the dude was half faking to get money. two faced. at the end when HE confesses his sin its "false profit" whereas daniel in the church admitted to "abandoning his child" (awesome scene btw)

as far as the kid goes, i think he realized he was being replaced as heir.

The actor who was originally cast as Eli left the production after a few weeks, reportedly because Daniel Day Lewis was too intense for him. Paul Dano, originally cast as Paul, then took up the mantle of brother Eli partly, I think, out of convenience and necessity, and partly because Anderson thought it might serve the dual purpose of giving the film a little more texture and ambiguity. I wouldn't read too much into it.