Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Matrix: Reloaded living up to original?

^^

Are you a moron? Did you see the end of the first movie? Thanks for your well worded response. 8)

I liked it, it was just what I was expecting, nothing more, nothing less. Plenty of insane action sequences with a dose of pretensious pseudo-philosophy thrown in for good measure.

SPOILERS

As far as the plot, I had no trouble following what was going on, and I thought the pacing of the editing was kind of necessary to keep up the momentum after the chase with the keymaker. Didn't really bother me.

My only big complaint was when Neo resurrected Trinity, that was just way too cheesy. Also, the fact that Neo suddenly doesn't seem to have as much power was kind of dumb, but it wouldn't have been much of an action movie without it, so I didn't find it that hard to overlook.

As a side note, I think that the filmmakers (or whoever was in charge of promotion) kind of shot themselves in the foot by endlessly hyping the 100 Agent Smiths scene and the chase with the keymaker. I think people would have enjoyed these sequences a lot more if they weren't expecting them and hadn't been told over and over how great they are.

There's so much more to this series than the whole Christ connection.

It touches on some very interesting ideas... time, cycles, repitition... history repeats itself, again and again.

Yeah, spoiler alert... but if your reading thread, you've seen it. :p

History repeats itself... the machines have found that man is predictable... except for the human factor of choice. This is where Neo was different from the other 5, his choice was different... he chose the good of the few over the good of the many. History repeats itself... the matrix and zion, the same over and over again. This is my theory to why the Oracle seems to know everything. Of course she does, she's seen this crap happen 5 times before... the same things happening exactly the same every time... predictable.

Neo's power over the squiddies outside of the matrix... maybe he HAS power outside of the matrix... maybe ALL of "the one" guys did, but they never got past "the source" to find out.

I liked the idea of the copied agents, but I think they overdid it a bit... WAY too many smiths. They turned him into some kind of virus, it's an interesting idea. I think that all of the smiths that LEFT the matrix, like in that dream that Neo had... Smith is inside the bodies of the people he infected. -more to come on this.

Spoilers in response to web:

as for smith, he was copied into the body of the zion native, right before he picked up the phone to exit the matrix, thus sending him into the actual body of the guy. At the end of the movie, they are talking about how the defenses were screwd up because someone used their energy blast too early, well if you play the matrix video game you see that the copied smith was the guy who sabatoged the defenses, and then lives to go after neo.

as for the oracle, i believe she was created by the matrix, to hold control over the one even though he has made his enlightenment out of the matrix, if he believes she is telling the truth, the matrix could make the one do whatever it wants. just as the key maker was created to allow neo entrance to the source, and cause the destruction/rebuilding of the matrix, the oracle was created to instill the belief that what he was doing was for the good of all.

oh, and with the zion rave/sex scene, im betting that in the next movie we see a niobe/morpheus doggy style to anal full penetration, while they listen to dave ralph.

Lots of contradictory views here, obviously.

I saw it last night.

Very exciting. Liked it for the feel, the attitude, the music, the editing, the artistry of the fighting, and the presentation. I kept thinking about Jackie Chan during the fight scenes.

Yeah, it's full of tissue paper philosophy, but that's kind of beside the point, isn't it? The effects felt fake, but just "fake enough". Like all that leather, the overtones to the effects add attitude.

I don't ask that the movie be based on sound science or philosophy, or that the basic idea be original. Did it bore me? Never. Did it feel well over two hours long? No.

Was I satisfied? Yes.

Oh yeah.. and Ketamine IS the matrix. I'll bet more than one of the guiding team of that movie is a k-tard.

i enjoyed the movie immensely and am still letting it sink in a bit - i'm off to see it again tonight...

am i alone in thinking there's a bit of a backlash - people thinking it's cool (or something...) to bash this new matrix movie?

alasdair

pr0ficient said:
Also, since when can Neo Fly, jump, etc?

bullshit fake ass shit

er, since the first movie - he's the one and he understands that he matrix is just a set of rules. there to be bent and broken.

there is lots of CGI in the new one so, while yours is hardly the most high-brow review i've read, it certainly is a load of fake ass shit...

alasdair

Has to be my favourite movie of all time.

*The action (martial arts) is just fantastic, best thing I have seen.
*Effects were just outstanding.
*Each character was portrayed excellently (Neo especially).

1 - There was totally nothing wrong with the storyline, yes it got confusing when the architect came into it, but thats the purpose of that scene - to fuck with your mind and let you think about what really is going on with Neo's position. Most of this confusion will definately be cleared up in "Revolutions".

2 - Beside the fact that he loves trinity to death, Neo decides to choose the door to save trinity because he believes he can save her and zion rather than lose her (one life) to save Zion. So in other words he knows/feels he can still save Zion (human race) even if he chooses the door that all the other "one's" didnt.

This was an absolutely brilliant sequel, as "The Matrix" introduced Neo as THE ONE and he started to feel his power. In "Reloaded" he learns most of his abilities, but surprised with the ability to stop sentinals in the "Real World" <- This kind of presence I believe will continue in "Revolutions" where Neo understands all his abilities and hence a perfect trilory. Also I assume he will end the cycle of a new matrix being created OR he will create a final matrix of his own OR ????

How can anyone complain with this movie experience that surpasses everything through to action, effects and especially the story behind it.

Can't wait for "Revolutions" just seen the full trailer of it which is extended to the one seen after "Reloaded".

Dick_Ritchie said:

Movie critics (not your average joe with an opinion but media personalities whose job it is to pick apart films) think that if they bash a movie that is either very highly anticipated/ hyped or is already immensely popular, it sets them apart from the crowd and gets them the attention they think they deserve. You hardly ever hear bad comments from a critic who had something to say about a sleeper hit. Just my experience but it seems like deep down they love the flick but feel inclined to pan it because no one else has yet.

So no Alasdairm, you're not alone. And in addition, i think this movie requires a second viewing before a true opinion about its content can be made. If not at least a SOBER viewing. I went high, like the rest of us here. =D But i LOVED it!

did anyone feel like they were beating you over the head with the choice/free will stuff?

that definitly took away from the movie.

I liked the rebellious programs, I thought that was the only cool point they really made.

The Matrix was lame until the last 10 minutes. I heard a ton of people say the whole Architect scene was so boring, but it makes the story get really interesting.
The special effects were...lame. The didn't live up to the hype. The non-organic modeing and animation was well done, but the people, sucked. They need to hire people that know how to model and write fabric shaders. The music was pretty good. escpecially the Fluke track during the party scene. Good character and clothing design. A good piece of eye candy with popie story util the end. Not horribly bad ^_^

i enjoyed the movie. i don't really understand where people are coming from in saying the action sucked, that there was too much of it, and no story.

did we watch different movies? i thought there was an even amount of story and action but let's face it - it's hard to satisfy people with a sequel. i thought it was entertaining and was fun. i do have to see it again tho..

i just dont want to see trinity and neo making out all the damn time cuz it gets old. i also have always thought their love story was a bit.. contrived..

and he sucks for what he did at the end :D

josh125a said:
Seeing as how the plot of the original was so blatantly based on the life of Jesus, (and if anyone didn't notice that, I don't know how you missed it) how do they plan on having the plot of the sequels live up to what many Westerners consider "the greatest story ever told."

The story of christianity and of jesus is popular because it follows the same format that most popular movies do. The rise, fall, attonement of the protagonist. Both the Matrix and the Bible are popular because this method of telling a story is effective to a broad swath of people.

It doesn't mean it's based on the bible. I mean, hell, you could call the bible a greek drama if you want- it doesn't mean it is even though it follows the same pattern!

I didn't think the original was all that in terms of being a classic (or even mind-stimulating, as most people say) or whatnot, although im going to see the sequel tonight.