Votes: 4 10.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
trekship.jpg

DigitalDuality said:
Really? Introducing that into the movies i thought was a horrible idea. I don't thing TNG movies (except first contact) were worth a damn. God they were awful.
The relationships and whatnot didn't interest me. And yeah, they sucked. I just wanted to see the idea of the now-deceased Data being immortally 'passed on' through B4's memories.

It's going to suck, hard. Well, maybe not.

They're trying to reboot the franchise. I'd rather the franchise die than be rebooted.

As a long time Trek fan, and considering myself a complete Trek nerd (although, oddly enough, I don't fit the part visually), it really irks me when they throw canon and continuity out the window. They're trying to appeal to a mass audience, and that's fine. They're forcing Star Trek through the Hollywood blender, and I don't see how else they'd be able to actually make money on a new ST film otherwise (especially with how dismal the last, oh, two or three movies have been).

The director said he's taking a lot of creative license with the new film, and he's made references to the idea that canon and continuity can be bended and molded. That's wonderful if you're making Batman Begins. Batman is an archetype -- you could put the Batman character into any film and it would be awesome. Star Trek is a vast universe with a lot of history. I'm nervous about what the hell they're doing here. Star Trek IV was a mass appeal movie, but they kept it within canon, and they managed to please both the average movie goer and the die hard ST fan. That's what needs to be done. If they can manage that, more power to them.

But moreover, it almost seems like they're treading the same waters that they've swam through in every movie since Star Trek II. From what has leaked, there seems to be yet another maniacal villain, and of course the Enterprise has to go stop him before he does something insane. Oh, yeah, and there's time travel too. I'm gagging.

This is either going to rule, or it's going to be the biggest disaster in recent film history.

P.S. A dark, gritty Deep Space 9 movie would rule. Avery Brooks is one of my favorite actors.

DigitalDuality said:
I think it would be neat if the series still existed, that's what was beautiful about Data. You started from scratch with him, an android that didn't understand sayings such as "burn the midnight oil" for instance, who grew and grew little by little into understanding everything there was to know about being human without having any emotion.. and then finally obtaining the emotion chip. I would've been more interested in seeing him explore how to handle these new found feelings.. something i think First Contact touched on nicely and even Insurrection touched on as well (the idea of kids "playing").

But now, now you're kinda back to square one. And no weekly tv show in order to show that growth.
Hmmmm.... Never thought about it like that. You're right, I think.

His character development, by it's very nature, was gradual and logical. Bigger leaps are needed for the film medium.
Indelibleface said:
Oh, yeah, and there's time travel too.
Excellent. The perfect opportunity for Data to be zapped into the past and buddy up with Kirk. I should be a ST scriptwriter.

Indelibleface said:
This is either going to rule, or it's going to be the biggest disaster in recent film history.

regardless of how good or crap the film is, it won't be a financial disaster. with a director like abrams at the helm, at least the marketing department will ensure an massive impulsive audience....

....in the first week at least.

L2R said:
regardless of how good or crap the film is, it won't be a financial disaster. with a director like abrams at the helm, at least the marketing department will ensure an massive impulsive audience....

....in the first week at least.

Yeah, I meant a creative disaster. I foresee it making bank at the box office, and perhaps even spawning a few sequels in the same vein, for better or for worse.

They should let it die I love star trek specially the next generation but damn every movie they made in the 90s was god awful. just like star wars let the classics remain in the past.

don't forget the first rule of business in this the decade which when abbreviated is referred to as "the naughties": the cow will give more milk if you kick it

I have a soft spot for Generations, but the rest of the TNG films were just too outlandish and unbelievable (if I have to sit through one more time travel story...), and the cast started getting ooooold and/or fat. Apparently Data has a built-in aging and fattening program, because I didn't know robots could gain weight and get wrinkly. The same thing happened to the original cast. I can't really watch any of the old films past IV. McCoy looked like he was going to need a walker and some Depends in VI.

cheers mate. that's much better than the one i posted :D

I never really liked any of the Star Trek movies, original cast or TNG cast, so this new one is really going to have to blow my mind to rid of my preconceptions about the shit movies.

I don't really know what makes me dislike the movies so much, they just lack the magic of the TV series. I like em all, but DS9 is by far the lowest one my list. (but I still love it)

The Voyager episodes "Year of Hell pt 1 & 2" could've been made into its own movie its so good. Shit, I can think of a few two part episodes throughout the different series that could've been made into movies that would've blown away any of the ST movies.

Spazzzz? said:
I never really liked any of the Star Trek movies, original cast or TNG cast, so this new one is really going to have to blow my mind to rid of my preconceptions about the shit movies.

I don't really know what makes me dislike the movies so much, they just lack the magic of the TV series. I like em all, but DS9 is by far the lowest one my list. (but I still love it)

The Voyager episodes "Year of Hell pt 1 & 2" could've been made into its own movie its so good. Shit, I can think of a few two part episodes throughout the different series that could've been made into movies that would've blown away any of the ST movies.

You didn't even like The Wrath Of Khan? I'd call that one of the best sci-fi films ever made, even.

de-lay
Paramount is undergoing a bit of a shake-up in its schedule reports Variety.

The most notable change is that J.J. Abrams big-budget "Star Trek" feature is being delayed a full five months from Christmas 2008 to May 8th 2009 with the studio citing that the new date has far more profitability.

This isn't the first delay like this, soon after the writer's strike began Sony Pictures similarly delayed is 'Da Vinci Code' sequel "Angels & Demons" from December 18th 2008 to May 15th 2009. Unlike that production however, 'Trek' is through much of its shooting already.

Still, this is one of the few occasions where a delay of this magnitude can actually be seen as a good thing. The new date makes a lot more sense from various perspectives, not the least of which is that nothing else has been scheduled to open that week.

The new date allows more time for exposure and publicity to sell the public on the idea of a Trek reinvention, and gives plenty of time for any necessary reshooting.

Abrams and crew previously admitted that they wanted to make changes to the script during the production, but the strike hampered their ability to do so. In spite of the extra cost that may ensue, the delay gives them some good leeway to fix those problems.

Indelibleface said:
You didn't even like The Wrath Of Khan? I'd call that one of the best sci-fi films ever made, even.

In retrospect and after I saw it for a second time I started to appreciate it more than previously. When I first got into Star Trek I had seen every single TOS episode, but nothing else. (other series, movies) Once I found out there were 6 movies when the original cast I ran to rent em. Now, I figured the characters would be a little older, but I was still expected them to look similar to the series, looks and clothing. I was obviously wrong about that. Ugly uniforms, actors gaining weight (James Doohan) and just the aging of the crew really turned me off. And they made the Enterprise look all drab and ugly inside.

But, I guess Wrath of Khan isn't too bad, if it was on tv I would sure as hell watch it