Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

rate this movie

• [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 85 74.6%

• Total voters
I liked this movie but it left me feeling really, really depressed after I finished watching it.

4 stars

i loved the movie but was anyone else confused with the timeline?

I thought this was brilliant I was very suprised!!!
it took me a bit to get used to it and figure it out but when I did wow!!!

I am not a fan of Jim Carey I hate that in all his movies he acts so stupidly I guess I don't like that sort of humor, but the roll he plays in this movie is wonderful and showcases his acting ability maybe people might take him more seriously now.

I think he should of be nominated for the oscar not Kate Winslet.

I now have a new respect for Jim Carrey.:)

Charlie Kaufman's work includes The Get A Life TV series, as well as Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, BJM, Adaptaion, Eternal, and another movie called Human Nature (which is real funny). The Guy is a God.

i would put this movie in my all-time Top 10.

i really should watch it again...

Re: 4 stars

qwe said:
i loved the movie but was anyone else confused with the timeline?

I thought the timeline was easy to follow after the third or fourth viewing.

It took me a long time to finally watch this. After my initial viewing, I have to say I was quite pleased with the work of Gondry and Kaufman.

Reading back on comments already made, I'll just throw in one about something no one's discussed...and that's the subplot involving the clinic's workers. What started as a simple design following the two young males and transformed into a twisted take on erasing memories of love was a surprising delight to me for the film. I really liked the main plot and its take on an old, somewhat cliched saying... but the subplot really added depth to the film.

And Kirsten Dunst bouncing around on the bed w/ panties and a t-shirt definitly appealed to the 13-year old in me.

Kate Winslet...gorgeous as always...even with blue hair. :)

^me too, too long before i caught this one

i was surprised with it. not many people in my real life have seen this so i havent any imput except the arile i read while i was being released. i am pretty anti-carrey and was sp happy he shed the funny man look at my creepy faces thing in this movie and really showed that there is depth there and he is quite easily slipped into a true life and dramatic role.
the point of the film is obvious and semi cliche when one is going through a break up... but it is so nicely and beautifully laid out by kaufman. it really hits in the heart just how much a person really erases their own memories of a realtionship after it has been dissolved and retains only the hurt and evils. it takes a long amount of distance, understanding and time span (if it ever happens) to really remember that there was much happiness and love and that it is all worth saving and reliving even over time.
even though it would drag at several places i like the unresolved ending and would watch it again.

* i just saw a american express card commercial with kate winslet featured in it... sayoing how at 18 she was sent to prison at 18, blahblah and at 28 i had my memory erased... and by 29 i was in neverland.... cute

I watched this again the other day, and finally realized the beauty of the structure once the erasing starts. First the audience is in the memory, and then those characters become conscious of the memory and reflect on it. So well done.

Lingo said:
Charlie Kaufman has done it again. This is the BEST movie I have seen in a long time, and the best of Kaufman's work yet. I am going to need to see it two or three more times before I go into any real detail.

Adios,
Steve

Muthafuckinwerd.

brothermarcus said:
~spoiler~

kaufman does need to change his style at least a little bit. i know i shouldn't have, but i walked into the movie thinking "how would charlie have written this" and i correctly scripted the whole movie properly after the first scene. i like how he wrapped it up tho, even though i was pretty bored up to that point... i know my personal style would be to end on a down note and resign to the inevitable, i liked that his characters are going ahead in the face of ultimate failure- that's what most people do every day.

Somehow, I doubt that you watched the first scene and figured the rest of it out from there. You may have had a vague idea of where the movie was heading, but "i correctly scripted the whole movie properly after the first scene" is a pretty absurd statement, no? If I am incorrect and you really did know where the film was going after the first scene then it must suck to be you. If you can spoil the ending of a movie like Eternal Sunshine so easilly, movies like Titanic must bore you to tears.

This is one of the finest films I have ever seen. Excellent performances, Kate Winslet's best work that I've seen and Jim Carrey's finest dramatic work IMO. Both of their performances were really amazing and their relationship really seemed geuine in a way that most films could never hope to achieve. Tom Wilkinson also did a great a job I think, as did all the supporting actors, but his performance particularly stood out for me.

The script for this movie is one of the most original peices of writing I have ever come across. It's a beautiful story really, but it's also really heartbreaking. Charlie Kaufman is just a genuis. This is easily in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, and I don't think there's many other films that I can relate to so strongly as I can to this one.

Definitely one of my all time favorites. I always recommend it.
I'll watch anything by Kaufman, but this was definitely his best.

i was quite surprised i liked this movie as i have an aversion to anything jim carey but went and watched it anyway- so glad i did, made me think and (partly) changed my mind about jim carey just being a twat- really never though id admit to myself he had talent

THE WOOD said:
i diddnt really like this movie. personally i felt nothing but bad vibes, it really reminded me like a bad trip that just wouldn't end. i diddnt even watch the last 30 minutes of it, it really put me in that bad of a mood.
Bad trip is exactly how I was going to describe it. I personally couldn't deal with it, I had to turn it off!

Tanuki_23 said:
I watched this again the other day, and finally realized the beauty of the structure once the erasing starts. First the audience is in the memory, and then those characters become conscious of the memory and reflect on it. So well done.

Very well said. Saw this again for the 2nd time on DVD and was able to appreciate and understand the different nuances in the story that I didnt the first time. How many of us have achieved some kind of lucid cognition while gallivanting and processing hurtful memories of a relationship we once had? Those of us who are meant to be end up back together with love rediscovered. The rest move on, or try to.
Films have attempted to evoke such ephemeral experiences as dreams or hallucinations before, but never has it been done so effectively as this. Sharp and colorful cinematography beautifully depicts Joel’s amorphous “Brainscape,” not only effectively capturing the makeup of memories, but also how they’re formed and sustained. Joel clambers from beaches to dark nightscapes trying to save Clementine from mental annihilation, all the while learning that the overwhelming memories of his lover vastly outweigh their superficial exterior inconsistencies. Will he save her? Or will his life be totally cleansed, for better and for worse, of her influence?

*sigh* so few movies leave me with that bittersweet ache for love and this is one of em.

AMAZING film ! Ultimate psychedelic psychological ride through realms of subconciousness. Both Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are great and director Michel Gondry did an amazing job...definitely 4/4

I think the bad trip vibe was put in intentionally. As you watch things that couldn't possibly happen, with the actors walking through it as if nothing was off, it was definitely scripted (or at least directed) by someone who had had a bad trip before. I loved the movie, one of my all time favorites.

Amazing. Kaufman is genius. There's not much more to say really.