Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

rate this movie

• [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 85 74.6%

• Total voters
So how is it? Its not in a lot of movie theaters in my area right now. Give me some details, but dont give it away

Just go see it. I went into it knowing next to nothing about the movie and it was great. I feel like it's one of those movies that is better for the first time if you know very little about it before you see it.

Wow...great movie. At times it seemed to drag, but it was always building, and its one of those movies that you watch and are actually drawn into. Worth a real good watch.

srw96 said:
Awesome movie! Loved it. Great story, great acting, great film, great directing, and most of all I was sooo touched.

I agree! And I agree that it is Kaufman's best work.
I was almost afraid to read this thread. I just did not want to read where anyone hated this movie (which so far NO one has, and how could they?!?!)
I loved it. I loved how it made you physically feel what he felt, how it looked like a bad dream in parts, just DAMN!
I love the fact that even with a semi-crazy plot such as this, you could understnad and keep up with it, and want more the whole film.
One of my new favorites. =D

^^6 actually, tho' i attribute this to me not paying attention, i did think that the beginning WAS the beginning of their relationship... and that the movie then skipped to the FUTURE where she is kissing Elijah and has forgotten about him... instead of jumping to the past...

but that's a testamant to the direction of the film... b-c sometimes that's how memories work...

many of my high school memories are jumbled... and i've misplaced people in memories they had no business being in... chronology doesn't really matter with regard to memory... and this movie brings that point out as vividly as MOMENTO

I saw it last night after smoking a blunt of some fire ass chronic. I was really disappointed. Since it is a Jim Carey movie I expected to go in there without laughing once but I managed to get one or 2 chuckles during the movie but thats about it. It just wasnt that great 5/10 at best.

There are parts of this movie, even the second time I saw it, that make me think of Ketamine.. it is reminiscent in ways that are extremely difficult to explain.

And on a side note: absolutely fantastic film.. I was absolutely blown away by it.

Originally posted by Rathix
I saw it last night after smoking a blunt of some fire ass chronic. I was really disappointed. Since it is a Jim Carey movie I expected to go in there without laughing once but I managed to get one or 2 chuckles during the movie but thats about it. It just wasnt that great 5/10 at best.

the problem is that it's not a jim carrey film, as such. of course he's *in* it, but this is most certainly a charlie kaufman vehicle far more than anything else. thus, you need to go into it being prepared for weirdness, not slapstick humour :)

onetwothreefour said:
Originally posted by Rathix

the problem is that it's not a jim carrey film, as such. of course he's *in* it, but this is most certainly a charlie kaufman vehicle far more than anything else. thus, you need to go into it being prepared for weirdness, not slapstick humour :)

It wasnt really all that weird though. When I think about it nothing much happened in the movie. It just wasnt great, entertaining for a lil while but I found myself wanting the movie to end b/c it was getting pretty boring.

one of the best flicks i've seen in a while...

brought out the hopeless romantic in me (which is DIFFICULT as he is hidden far away in the depths of my mind)

my only complaint is that (if you're paying attention), they give it away far too early in the movie...for a while i was just waiting for it to reach its conculsion (which isn't to say i didn't enjoy it, but that is my only problem with the movie)

i read another review of this today and im even more excited to see it... kaufman breakign out of the mini-mold set by being... and adaptation

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

PlurredChemistry said:
my only complaint is that (if you're paying attention), they give it away far too early in the movie...for a while i was just waiting for it to reach its conculsion (which isn't to say i didn't enjoy it, but that is my only problem with the movie)

Yeah but not really. What they give away is only the BEGINING of the end. Most viewers, when they figure out that their meeting at the BEGINING of the film was actualy their SECOND meeting, assume that they know how it will end... happily ever after and like you, they just wait for that ending to come around. Fortuantly, Kaufman is too smart to let his movie end like that, and he takes it a step further until they end up living, well... aprehensivly ever after.

Since I work at a movie theater, I get to hear the comments of the customers as they leave their movies. In the two weeks that we have had Eternal Sunshine, I have only heard one person say they didn't like it. Many of the others would comment on how they assumed they knew how it would end, but were totaly surprised by how it really did end.

One thing I have learned about Charlie Kaufman films is that you can NOT take anything for granted, cause your probably WAY off.

Adios,
Steve

I thought it was a big let down. I thought adaptation was much more clever and smart. I agree with that they gave the ending away too fast.

I was hoping the movie would touch upon memory and and our perceptions of it. I thought it would be more thought-provoking but it was not, for me at least. Maybe I missed some deep Kaufman refrences.

I did like jim carry's character. I also thought the movie hinted towards ecstasy use with the whole memory and brain damage stuff and kate winslet character (when she whipps out the vicks in the beginning)

~spoiler~

kaufman does need to change his style at least a little bit. i know i shouldn't have, but i walked into the movie thinking "how would charlie have written this" and i correctly scripted the whole movie properly after the first scene. i like how he wrapped it up tho, even though i was pretty bored up to that point... i know my personal style would be to end on a down note and resign to the inevitable, i liked that his characters are going ahead in the face of ultimate failure- that's what most people do every day.

Lingo said:
**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Yeah but not really. What they give away is only the BEGINING of the end. Most viewers, when they figure out that their meeting at the BEGINING of the film was actualy their SECOND meeting, assume that they know how it will end... happily ever after and like you, they just wait for that ending to come around. Fortuantly, Kaufman is too smart to let his movie end like that, and he takes it a step further until they end up living, well... aprehensivly ever after.

that is just it though, the difference between what you expect to happen and what actually happens is so little that (to me at least) makes it appear that the film is just being dragged out for an additional 20 minutes. i would have preferred it if the flick had ended much earlier, allowing the audience to figure out what exactly is going on...

but those are just stylistic differences, it still was a great movie...

saw this last night finally and i was thoroughly impressed. i loved the way they seamlessly moved in and out of the different 'realities'.

i thought that carrey and winslet were perfectly cast and both did a superb job.

alasdair

I saw this last night and was massivly confused, I smoked with friends before meeting other friends to drink/see the movie with so unfournatly I feel asleep. I loved what I saw and am going to go see the movie again by myself.

uhm, i don't like jim carrey, but i was able to overlook that in this film, because he really did inhabit the character perfectly.. i also liked how, even though he was the lead, the majority of the humour in the film arises from the secondary characters (kirsten dunst, mark ruffalo, elijah wood, etc.)

at any rate, it's the best movie i've seen this year, and if i'm able to forgive the casting, one of the best movies i've *ever* seen..

sure, adaptation may have been a little more "clever," but that doesn't make it better.. adaptation was extremely self-conscious, snide and cynical (uhm, kinda like its lead).. as far as an emotional core, it registered almost zero.

eternal sunshine, however, while never becoming cheesy, fake or sentimental, manages to be among the most romantic and touching films i've ever seen. and that's very difficult to do...

i loved this movie, best ive seen so far this year, but i have one question?? how/why did joel decide to wake up the next day, take the day off work and go to montauk, we already know clemntine stated she liked to spend time there, if joels memories of clementine were erased why would he randmly blow the day off work and go to the same place she hung out? i mean it could have been a commentary on soulmates and how they are supposed to meet, but its still the one thing that bugs me about the film, maybe he was just depressed cos it was valentines day and took the day off, also durig the opening credits joel is crying in his car, is this the part of the film where he finds out clementine has erased him? or was it just after a fight they had.??

^^ disregard my last post, its been explained to me, amazing how missing 5 seconds of dialogue,makes u wonder who/why that event happenened.