Votes: 1 3.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
I thought the original, British Ali G shows were genius. The US shows were just rehashed setups and weren't as funny for that reason, but also because the manner of his characters were made more exaggerated and "obvious", which I didn't like.

The Ali G movies, and i'm not even sure if i've seen them all, sucked.

Borat, yes, very funny, but there were just too many staged scenes, and again, the exaggeration was ramped up even more. Check out "Best of Borat" at YouTube, which are all scenes from the British Ali G Show.

If Bruno is supposed to be even more staged than Borat, then i'll automatically like it less. I still expect to laugh my ass off though.

I've seen Borat twice. Once at the cinema, once at home, alone. I found it quite a bit funnier the second time, probably because I went in accepting of all the staged setups. And, to touch on what others have said, I prefer to dictate the laughs by myself, and not by a cinema full of hysterical teens.

...at his at his best - dressing down captains of industry and world leaders by deluding them into thinking that HE was the idiot.

Feigning ignorance is one of the hardest things to pull off in comedy - Sarah Silverman does it expertly - and Sacha - as Ali G, in particular, does it better than anyone has ever done it.
are you familiar with chris morris? i figure you probably are but, if not, check out his work on the day today and brass eye. the 'drugs' and 'pedophilia' episodes of brass eye are particularly excellent, imo.

alasdair

are you familiar with chris morris? i figure you probably are but, if not, check out his work on the day today and brass eye. the 'drugs' and 'pedophilia' episodes of brass eye are particularly excellent, imo.

I was thinking the same thing. Sacha Baron Cohen kind of combined Chris Morris's smart guerilla comedy with Steve Coogan's slapstick character acting. The cluelessness of Cohen's characters reminds me a little of Alan Partridge.

Which isn't to say that SBC is a total rip-off artist. He certainly has his own flavor and approach. He may not be as good a writer as Chris Morris or as good an actor as Coogan but he's arguable a more complete comedian than either of them.

Coogan is just now starting to break in America. I doubt Chris Morris ever will because I don't think he's willing to dumb down his art. But with Ricky Gervais, SBC, Steve Coogan, Simon Pegg, Little Britain, and etc making waves, maybe someone will offer Chris silly money to go Hollywood.

I just got through watching Jaaaaam. Possibly the next best thing to real drugs you can get.

I just saw it. Great freakin' movie. I liked almost every minute of it...

i thought it was okay. i got a little bored in it to be honest. i think perhaps the trailers were showing too much. much of the movie was spoilt already.
3/5

This movie has more full frontal male nudity than any movie I have ever seen.

With the exception of The Watchmen, of course.

ok, i get it. the average guy doesn't feel comfortable with male genitalia being shoved in their face. is this fact funny enough to carry an 82 minute movie?

it was terrible. i literally kept one eye on my watch the entire time and that minute hand would not move.

its so surprising to me that most people in the theater seemed to enjoy it.

i'm not saying i didn't laugh a few times, but honestly you could have made a 20 minute short and left out the other 100 minutes of repetitive shock comedy.

the thing is i actually think cohen is clever and witty, and i can't blame him for going for the definite pay check. the theater was packed. :/

I liked it. Really funny. Not as good as Borat but totally watchable.

so, my boyfriend and i went to go see it, and the cashier had to read us a disclaimer before we were even able to purchase tickets! even when we told her we had seen "borat" and "ali g", she still had to read it. dude, i know i live in a small town, but damn.

she also said they would offer a full refund if someone left within the first 30 minutes.

long live the south!

I loved it, but then again consider dick, fart, and shit jokes to be the pinnacle of humour.

F**king hilarious

For anyone interested in how SBC + his crew obtained some of their footage read this *spoilers*

Not many comedians will put their body (or life) on the line to get laughs. It becomes way more funny and impressive when you consider how much planning is involved. Respect.

i saw this a few days ago and my knee=-jerk reaction is that it was funnier and often more uncomfortable than borat. i want to see it again already.

alasdair

I'm still in awe of some of the things that he did. How many times did he almost get killed!!!!

Just wow.

i thought it was funny but nowhere near the overall quality of borat.

borat actually had a point imo: "dear america, you're a backwards country.. to illustrate this im going to use a character who comes from what you would consider to be a backwards country"

what was the point of bruno? rednecks are homophobes?

still funny but didnt seem to really have a purpose.

As shitty as the Ali G movie was, the idea of that blind old man giving him a handjob in the middle of the street was pretty hilarious just because of how contrived it was. Ali G is the best. Cohen is smart as fuck, and his interviews were genius, way moreso than than anything in Borat. But every time there was an episode of Ali G I would pray that Buno would make an appearance. That was like a million years ago; I hope Bruno is still the Colbert to Cohen's Stewart (Ali G).

I don't know about these movies, man. Too bad the cat's way out of the bag about his interviews. Good thing nobody in America knows who the fuck Bruno is. Looking forward to watching it for sure.