Votes: 7 5.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 72 56.3%

• Total voters
Hehe. Even though I've made a few comments here already, I just watched it last night.

I was disappointed by how MUCH I've seen of it from trailers!! :(

Funny as fuck though.

I loved:

the bear in the ice-cream van, roaring at the kids 8o

the naked fighting in the hotel 8(

the national anthem at the rodeo =D

EDIT: Also - upon seeing the big tortoise: "What kind of dog is this?" and "Is it a CAT in a HAT???" LOL.
:D

Last edited:
HILARIOUS. I love when he get's all the people at the bullriding contest all riled up about how great america is and then starts singing HIS national anthem, which claims otherwise. Fucking brilliant.
Some parts were definately partly staged though. I could have done without the blatant homosexual scene with him and his "agent".

psychetool said:
It's lame toilet humor. Low class, but hilarious.

Some parts were really funny, but that kind of humor has a short half-life. Should have kept it to short segments on The Ali G Show.

And by the way, if people are using this to confirm mass generalizations about cultural insensitivity and backwards conservative social values in America, that says more about your own lack of objectivity than it does about American society.

sounygordna said:
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that it could not have been made in the same racist fashion about the Jewish or African American communities? and they are obviously correct..

Dave Chappel?

Dude the guy who plays Borat is a Jewish guy from Israel.

How could anyone take this film seriously enough to consider it racist?

Everyone suing Borat: grow a brain!!!

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=2&subID=1344

This a new article from the First Post concerning the lawsuits against Sacha Baron Cohen.

Come on you imbeciles. I mean, does any one reading this have anything to say about this? Or do people think that Sacha Baron Cohen's work was just more sensationalist drivel made to make bucks? I'll grant it was made to make bucks, and that it has. But Borat doesn't come under the old obsenity charge of 'lacks artistic merit'. What he did was artistic genius. And anyone suing him is seriously in need of some ego-liposuction.

In case none of you have seen, HowItShouldHaveEnded.com has this really great spoof of how Borat should have ended.

http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/Divx links/Borat.html

or try the home page www.HowItShouldHaveEnded.com if that link doesn't work.

Does anyone else here think that Andy Warhole has been done proud by Sacha?

And where is the concensus in the community that what Sacha made was exploititative. I'm sorry, but if someone maneuveres (sp?) you into exposing a prejudice (whether passionate or braggadiccio) then you've no one to blame but youself.

The movie was really funny -- there were more laughs per minute than any other comedy I've seen in the past several years. It's definitely not one of the greatest movies ever, but it's definitely one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a long, long time. The pacing died near the end, though -- I thought the conclusion lacked something. Other than that, though, Borat was mostly hilarious.

This movie is based on facts. I have found Kazakstani prostitutes to generally be the cleanest during my travels in Central Asia. A lot better than those hoes in Mongolia - Disgusting. Kyrgyzstan girls are nice too.....

If you liked Sacha Baron Cohen in this movie you should also check out the French guy he played in Will Ferrell's Talladega Nights.

Last edited:
Re Maui2K:
"yet i think most of the audience was laughing out of terror than hilarity"

I think that was pretty much the case for me, as well. I won't lie; I laughed during "Borat" more times per minute than I have for any other move I've seen. It wasn't funny the same way I see "Airplane!", the Three Stooges, or "Clerks" as funny; it was almost a coping mechanism for the outrageousness of what I was seeing and hearing. It was often difficult to look at the screen, and not because of the hotel room scene; there were times this movie literally made me want to come out of my skin. Yet, I laughed. A lot.

So, in the end, I have mixed feelings on the film. I give it high marks for SBC's performance, for its raw mockery, for its uncompromising approach, and for pushing the comedic envelope with what I thought was amazing skill. In all likelihood, I'll see it again for the parts I missed in the theater. Yet, when I walked outside, I was both exhausted and bummed. I don't doubt that many people will see this and think that Americans are fucked; for all we know, they may be right.

Four stars.

Israel and Judaism

Baron Cohen first acted with the youth movement Habonim Dror.[10]

He spent a year in Israel at Kibbutz Rosh HaNikra as part of the Habonim Dror Shnat program before going to university.[3]

According to Cohen, "I wouldn't say that I am a religious Jew, but I'm still proud to be Jewish."[11]. However, he keeps kosher and generally observes the Jewish Sabbath, refusing to answer the phone on Shabbat. [4][5][6]

As a jest, while playing the anti-Semitic character Borat, Baron Cohen frequently speaks in Hebrew. He also sings the lyrics from an old Hebrew folk song in the Borat film, and identifies his country's greatest scientist, whom he says discovered that a woman's brain is the same size as that of a squirrel, as "Dr. Yarmulke".

Family

Baron Cohen was born in Hammersmith, London, England[1] to an Orthodox Jewish family.[2] "Baron" is not a title of nobility, but the first part of his compound surname, an Anglicization of Baruch. He is the youngest of three sons of parents Gerald Baron Cohen and Daniella Weiser. His father, originally from Wales,[3] owns a menswear shop in Piccadilly. His paternal grandfather was born in Pontypridd. His mother, who teaches a school of movement, was born in Israel.[4] His maternal grandmother, who now lives in Haifa, Israel,[5] was an acclaimed ballet dancer from Germany.[6][7][8] His brother Erran Baron Cohen, a composer and trumpet player with Middle Eastern influences and a founding member of the British electronica world-music group Zöhar, lent his talents to the Borat film.

Baron Cohen is the second cousin of University of Cambridge Professor of Developmental Psychopathology Simon Baron-Cohen[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacha_Baron_Cohen

Verse 1
In my country there is problem,
And that problem is transport.
It take very very long,
Because Kazakhstan is big.

Chorus 1
Throw transport down the well (repeat line)
So my country can be free (repeat line)
We must make travel easy (repeat line)
Then we'll have a big party (repeat line)

Verse 2
In my country there is problem
And that problem is the Jew
They take everybody money
And they never give it back

Chorus 2
Throw the Jew down the well (repeat line)
So my country can be free (repeat line)
You must grab him by his horns (repeat line)
Then we have a big party (repeat line)

Verse 3
If you see the Jew coming
You must be careful of his teeth
You must grab him by his money
And I tell you what to do

(Repeat Chorus 2 twice)

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie, and I'm surprised that with our PC culture this movie made it to theatres. People are very easily offended, and so many people are reluctant to take jokes for what they are.

frizzantik said:
pretty disappointing

Aye. Saw it yesterday on DVD and I thought it was disappointing too.

THe jokes were way too obviosu but, I'm not overly keen on cringe-humour such as this anyway. One or two amusing moments, but nothing to write home about.

2 stars.

^No way Borat's the best character by far, but that's IMO. "Of Course, You Dont have to take my word for it"

My opinion of the movie is a little altered. You know like when an opening act is so good that it is impossible to follow. i watched 300 directly before seeing this movie. Borat was still extremely funny as fuck. I was just still in awe from 300 and Borat just kinda didnt seem as good. I still gave it 4 out of 5Stars.

Those frat fucks deserve to go through the wringer. I think the only reason they are suing is because one said he would let a mouse climb up his vas defrens to eat cheese.

I wish I could unwatch much of this movie. A lot of it was funny as hell, but the naked fat man being chased through the hotel with a rubber fist was just wrong. I made tha mistake of eating dinner watching it, and soon lost all apetite.

frizzantik said:
Watch the TV shows to see the same jokes done better, without a bunch of pretend plot filler.

Spot the fuck on.

IMO, Sacha rivals Carson, Hedberg and a handful of others on the short list of Most Brilliant Comic Minds Ever, but, with that said, he dumbed this one down for the masses.

Still a great movie (it's ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to be funny for 100 consecutive minutes), but, imo, Ali G intellectually undressing WORLD FUCKING LEADERS on Da Ali G SHow was INFINITELY more impressive.

randomlily said:
yea...that was just TOO much... I was a fan of Sacha in all his Ali G things, so before i watched it i had decided that i would love it, but even i thought some thigns went too far and the novelty wore off

The face full of fat-man balls didnt help.:|