Votes: 6 13.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
L2R said:
the director of this is now working on WATCHMEN

holy rusted exhaust pipes, Batman, Watchmen has a chance of being awesome.

I am stoked that Frank Miller is getting such great Hollywood "street cred." I expect this movie to be visually orgasmic, much like all movies Miller has had a hand on in the past.

Axl Blaze said:
holy rusted exhaust pipes, Batman, Watchmen has a chance of being awesome.

It's been a rough ride trying to get Watchmen onto the big screen. Back in the '90s, Terry Gilliam was originally going to do it, but he eventually decided that the film was unmakeable, and the only way to do it justice would be to make it into a miniseries for television, but somehow that never panned out.

Then there was some script actually written for it a while back that unfortunately rearranged the whole story and made it incredibly unlike the graphic novel (I still think that script is floating around the internet somewhere, a Google search should uncover it). Hopefully they aren't using any material from this script, because it's not much like the original story at all. It struck me as very Hollywood-ized. If they don't stick to the original plot closely, I'd rather them not make the movie at all.

this will be the first action movie that I will ever have seen at an IMAX... there is NO WAY TO PASS UP SEEING THIS AT THE FUCKING IMAX!!!!!

thujone said:
this will be the first action movie that I will ever have seen at an IMAX... there is NO WAY TO PASS UP SEEING THIS AT THE FUCKING IMAX!!!!!

+1 I was wondering if anyone would mention the imax, that will definitely be how I see this movie, then I'll probably stick around for Lions 3D ;)

Indelibleface said:
Hopefully they aren't using any material from this script, because it's not much like the original story at all. It struck me as very Hollywood-ized. If they don't stick to the original plot closely, I'd rather them not make the movie at all.

truer words have never been spoken, IndelibleFace %)

Saw 300 (dear god, I hope they stop at Saw 3, but anyway!) tonight at an advance screening. Someone had apparently handed out the free passes in two locations: a local college and a local retirement community. So as a result, the crowd reaction was fairly evenly split between omg!loved!it!squee! (the younger folks) and worst movie I've ever seen (the older folks).

Since I don't really fall in either of those groups, its appropriate my reaction is also moderate.

Cut to protect your virginal spoiler eyes.
NSFW:

Ok, I have to say this first: I think this might be the most graphic movie I have ever seen. I have no problem with blood, violence or gore, but even then, some of these scenes made me go Ew.

Since we all know this movie is about the battle, the movie wastes little time in taking us to it. I think there was maaaaybe 15 minutes of exposition, most of which I didn't even like, because it was a total Gladiator ripoff. That's my biggest complaint really, this movie seems stitched together with all kinds of parts from other movies. The elephants and rhino in the battle are taken from LotR, the arrows blacking out the sun I've seen before, even Leonidas' wife is the fake-Gucci-from-a-car-trunk version of Keira Knightley.

Once the battle begins, some of the scenes are epic in scope. There were many times I said wow and many times I cheered. But then we get to day 3, day 4 of the battle and you're just like eh, a severed head, again? *sigh*

This movie is tailor-made for a male audience. I could almost *see* the testosterone floating in the air above the crowd. Plus, there were too many naked boobies. A few are fine, but there were so many nipple shots that it made the theater collectively embarrassed enough to giggle at them. Also, there is a large undercurrent of homosexuality in regards to Xerxes. It's almost, no really, it IS as if they needed to make him gay to enhance the perception of machoness of the Spartans.

So yeah, not the worst movie ever, but nowhere near the best. 2.5 out of 4 stars. Bring on Sin City 2!!

Well played indeed.

And If I could only find a way to STAY baked throughout the entire film.

Brownies? Butter? IF I ONLY KNEW HOW TO COOK. AHHHHHHHH.

alasdairm said:
my plan:

1. get baked
2. go see this

alasdair

friday:
5pm: off work - walk to theaters distance 1 block - buy tickets
5-6:30: smoke lottsa weed
630pm: watch 300

we are debating:
A) smoke a blunt and walk 20 minutes to the theaters
B) taking a bunch of hits from the bong quick then driving 4 minutes there

leaning towards B due to -25C weather.

L2R said:
the director of this is now working on WATCHMEN

<gasp>

<vaguely happy strangling gurgling throat noises>

I will make it my goal in life to destroy those responsible if they don't do The Watchmen justice. It is simply my very favoritest comic book ever.

Anywho, 300 looks pretty neato. I'm glad Mr. Miller has managed to shake off the stigma of Robocops Two and Three and have his considerable talents recognized in another medium.

Saw this last night and loved it.

I got roped into seeing Wild Hogs (TERRIBLE!!) the night before and this more than made up for it. I don't know anything about the story, so I can't compare truth to director's choice but I loved this movie. Lots of great fighting, lots of blood, great blend of epic AND electric/rock music too.

Daisybabe: funny you should mention "too many" naked boobies. Maybe you forgot that 99.99% of the movie the screen is covered with ripped, chiseled, diesel lookin guys. ;)

Edit: the only thing I didn't like was how they made 120,000 people to look like millions. I've been in a stadium with 110,000 people and it looked nothing like that.

Last edited:
C-

Not bad writing, but a terrible screenplay. I got the distinct impression that I was watching an adaptation of a comic book. The action was pointless, and the effects got tiresome. The narration was over-the-top.

All those themes about how awesome it is to be a free Greek, and how freedom isn't free, all seem pretty retarded coming from a civilization where the infirm are tossed down a cliff after birth, children are beaten by adults, and bred to be warriors.

Basically, the whole time i was in the theater, I was thinking "If I'm going to watch something stylized and inaccurate, I'd ratehr be watching Reign."

t28039maseh.jpg

saw it last night. fucking AWESOME!
i didnt pay attention to the acting or the story line cuz i was far too immersed in the graphics.
greatest movie i've seen in a long ass time.

i snicker at how they're referred to as graphics nowadays instead of special fx