European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

feel like my life peaked at uni.

hexagram

Bluelighter
While I was studying I was cool as hell. Drugs were new and exciting, I went out raving every weekend, acid trips in the sun with friends. I had a large social network and a smoking hot girlfriend who I partied with all the time.

Since I finished a year ago I haven't been able to find a proper job, most of my friends have moved away and my girlfriend just went back home (she was the year below me.) I've wasted so much time getting high and this year, although I have had some amazing drug experiences, I now honestly have little interest in getting high anymore, which I never thought would happen.

My hope is that I can find a job and move up to be with my girl. If I lived with her and worked a semi-decent job, that would be great. It would be starting to build an actual adult life, instead of just trying to be a student forever.

And this is just a semi speed/ booze induced ramble but whatever.

What were you studying, what is a "proper" job for you, whats your major did you graduate or is more school in the future.

Welcome to the real world dude. Where dreams are (not) made.

Seriously though, it sounds like you have the right attitude. If you know what you want it's just a case of getting up and doing it. And if you fail at first, which most of us do, then getting up and trying again. I stopped taking drugs when i was in a similar position to you, and it was still damn hard. Not being wasted all the time though made it so much easier to get roughly where i wanted to be, so kudos for not wanting to get high anymore.

Further education is always good, (if you can afford,) but i think it's something you need to really commit to. An MA these days won't guarantee you a "good" job. Anyway, i know loads of brickies, plasterers, gardeners, etc. who are far more happier than people with phd's.

Transitioning from uni to 'real life' is often horrible. It is probably easier going from school straight into a Job. Have quite a few friends who took years to sort themselves out.

Good you want to give drugs a rest though.

I feel ya - but there's nothing wrong with being a student forever if you can find a subject you're good enough to stay on at.

Getting a well paid job isn't worth it in the long run if it's not something you're passionate about. A lot of people drink the kool-aid and convince themself that they're into doing any old pointless shit, but I doubt that will wash with someone who's expanded their mind a fair bit.

I'm going back after years, because life's too short to be doing a job that causes slow brain-death. I may never earn as much again, but fuck it, it's not worth it.

Don't get too down hexa, I've spent time on the dole off and on during my life and when I'm in work I often look back on those periods as the best of my life. You've got lots of time to get stuff done, read, learn the electric piano, get fit and strong etc. But obviously getting a job and some money is a goal to shoot for.

Just be thankful you had those good times in the first place - many don't. Time to wake up and smell the coffee mate...

So you partied your university life away and you are wondering why you can't find a good job? Reality is you should have been using those years to start finding that job, whether it was networking a group of friends who are future connections or working low paid intern jobs in your chosen field that gives you a jump on the hundreds of other graduates who you have to compete with. I know very few drug fucked party dudes from my university days who are any help to me today. That's not to say they aren't still good mates, but they are usually the ones coming to me for a job.

What did you study and what were your grades? The mistake most students make is thinking that they get a degree and start half way up the ladder. You don't, you start at the bottom and fight to earn your stripes. You need an idea of where you are heading though. Rarely are you handed a career, you should ask your self what sort of job you want in 5-10 years and beg borrow or steal the opportunity to work for a company that offers that position. Even if you are stuffing letters or making shit sandwiches, you have an opportunity to show your work ethic to the people who matter. A degree gets you past HR, your skills and work ethic will get you noticed by the real decision makers.

The good news is a year later is not too late. You have the chance to choose a new skill to study that will give you a jump of this years grads without looking like a flake. I think slackers call it a gap year. I called it playing rugby and studying art. Reality is you should never stop learning. Even if it's simply reading self help books or motivational autobiographies of successful people you admire, it's important to constantly upgrade your knowledge. 20 years after I graduated with a bachelors degree and I still attend on average 60 hours a year on courses. Some I walk away from shaking me head, others I walk away from refreshed and enthused to take my job to the next level. I tend to ask myself if this next course will help me expand my skills or make my life more interesting.

Now is the time to travel. Head to Oz first, it is so easy to find work there, tho not as lucrative with the $ only being .048 rather than .68 a few years ago. I walked into a job selling solar panels for a big energy provider with a humanities degree and a £60 suit bought on Koa San Road (was a nice suit actually). By sheer virtue of turning up knowing how to count and working the odd Saturday I became the top sales person bringing in over $11,000 a month. This is by no means testament to my ability, rather the bar was set significantly lower than in the UK. In fact I was more often than not drunk. Having talked with tens of thousands of Aussies I have to say they are a loveable lot, if a little 'Downy' round the edges. I got sponsored but imo its a place you visit. Make some good friends, good coin, continue your uni lifestyle while getting good experience. Good luck!

motivational autobiographies of successful people you admire

Not too many "successful" people to admire is there? Like Steve Jobs? Enriching himself on the backs of brutalised chinese children working in his factories that he pays a fucking pittance to?

It's great* how lucky, rich people simply assume that poor people simply haven't tried as hard as them in life, as opposed to not entering the world through the right portal, or having too much empathy to want to be involved in exploitative practices.

* For some values of "great", anyway. Mainly ones that translate as "pathetic".

So you partied your university life away and you are wondering why you can't find a good job? Reality is you should have been using those years to start finding that job, whether it was networking a group of friends who are future connections or working low paid intern jobs in your chosen field that gives you a jump on the hundreds of other graduates who you have to compete with. I know very few drug fucked party dudes from my university days who are any help to me today. That's not to say they aren't still good mates, but they are usually the ones coming to me for a job.

What did you study and what were your grades? The mistake most students make is thinking that they get a degree and start half way up the ladder. You don't, you start at the bottom and fight to earn your stripes. You need an idea of where you are heading though. Rarely are you handed a career, you should ask your self what sort of job you want in 5-10 years and beg borrow or steal the opportunity to work for a company that offers that position. Even if you are stuffing letters or making shit sandwiches, you have an opportunity to show your work ethic to the people who matter. A degree gets you past HR, your skills and work ethic will get you noticed by the real decision makers.

The good news is a year later is not too late. You have the chance to choose a new skill to study that will give you a jump of this years grads without looking like a flake. I think slackers call it a gap year. I called it playing rugby and studying art. Reality is you should never stop learning. Even if it's simply reading self help books or motivational autobiographies of successful people you admire, it's important to constantly upgrade your knowledge. 20 years after I graduated with a bachelors degree and I still attend on average 60 hours a year on courses. Some I walk away from shaking me head, others I walk away from refreshed and enthused to take my job to the next level. I tend to ask myself if this next course will help me expand my skills or make my life more interesting.

TL : DR Also, Tried but I kept getting a bit sick in my mouth with every word. I have to go to work in a bit and queasy stomach is the last thing I want. I really don't wish to be rude but can you please fuck off with your condescending ways. It really does no good to the good and normal people of society. You seem to enjoy being above people. What sick person does this? Contemplate today. Yeah?

It's great* how lucky, rich people simply assume that poor people simply haven't tried as hard as them in life, as opposed to not entering the world through the right portal, or having too much empathy to want to be involved in exploitative practices.

I think I love you! xxx

How exactly was hexagram at a disadvantage? He was in the same lecture theatre as the rest of his class, and by his own admission he spent 3-4 years pissing his opportunity against the wall.

I suspect too many of you believe in the shackles of class structure to such an extent that it seems to much effort to even get out of bed let alone polish your shoes for a job interview. From experience it is a peculiar British trait to blame the job of ones parents for any short comings in life and easier to simply give up there and then. The only thing that might stop someone from obtaining their dream is wanting to be a member of the House of Lords.

If your life ambition is to reach for the lasers while standing on a floor covered in disco goo, before grabbing a kebab and heading home to smoke a spliff and play Fifa with your impoverished mates, you may as well put a bullet in your head at 28 because your life has well and truly peaked by then. Personally I prescribe to the Wooderson school of L.I.V.I.N my life to the fullest every day and grab any opportunity I can get with both hands. Work hard, play hard. Excuses never solved a problem

A lot of this article rings very truth once you start taking ownership of your own destiny
http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-effective-yet-efficient-way-to-get-rich-2

Last edited:
If you count all my previous accounts it's probably well over 20 000. The vast majority of them are posted during my work day while I drink tea and watch the cricket. The more people you have working for you, the less work you have to do.

I live a pretty sweet life, but reality is I had to put the hard yards in when I was younger to reap the rewards now.

I dunno - the unquenchable thirst for our attention: it's quite touching, really.