• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fecal Impaction... Bupe?

hydrobliss

Bluelighter
So I just got out of a 2 night stay in the hospital which ended in a ball of feces the size of a baseball being forced out of my rectum (yes it was extremly painful).

I have been an avid opiate user for years, and have never had much issue with constipation. However for the last 2 weeks ive been on aboout 4mg of suboxone a day. Do you think this was the reason for the increased level of constipation that ended in my fecal impaction?

trying to be as polite as possible sorry if this was graphic.. but this is a reality for me and I refuse to EVER go through that again

So I just got out of a 2 night stay in the hospital which ended in a ball of feces the size of a baseball being forced out of my rectum (yes it was extremly painful).

I have been an avid opiate user for years, and have never had much issue with constipation. However for the last 2 weeks ive been on aboout 4mg of suboxone a day. Do you think this was the reason for the increased level of constipation that ended in my fecal impaction?

trying to be as polite as possible sorry if this was graphic.. but this is a reality for me and I refuse to EVER go through that again

yes I believe it was. I was on suboxone for a few months and I just got out of the hospital ater they removed a 5 ft piece of shit that had backed all the way up through my lower intestine. It hurt like a shotgun wound and they didnt give me any painkillers.

I never had constipation from years of opiate use but as soon as I got on subs, i was only crapping once a week tops.

Last edited:
yep they didnt give me any painkillers either for fear of additional constipation

this was by far the most painful experience of my life... and I dont want to repeat it

any way to combat this besides not taking bupe?

yea I found that suboxone causes it worse than any other opiates...I never noticed constipation on opiates before but I got it on subs but not that bad. How do they remove shit that gets stuck in there? when I was in the hospital for a week after breaking my leg really badly I had to get an enema cause I didnt shit the whole week cause they were pumping me with morphine the whole time and I had no tolerance to PKs at that time, but if the enema doesn't work than how do they get the shit out?

yea I found that suboxone causes it worse than any other opiates...I never noticed constipation on opiates before but I got it on subs but not that bad. How do they remove shit that gets stuck in there? when I was in the hospital for a week after breaking my leg really badly I had to get an enema cause I didnt shit the whole week cause they were pumping me with morphine the whole time and I had no tolerance to PKs at that time, but if the enema doesn't work than how do they get the shit out?

They gave me multiple enemas but to no avail

the doctor had to numb my ass up and go in there with her hand.. then when that was over I had to push a massive turd that was left out through my injured asshole

Sorry man, sounds like a terrible experience. I feel for both you and James.

I saw that you posted in my "enema" thread, so obviously you are aware of this option. Constipation is a real problem when it comes to bupe maintenance, and I have tried to find many ways to remedy it.

As I stated in my enema thread, the only thing that I really found that works is using sodium phosphate enemas a few times a week. Im not sure how well these would work for someone who already is seriously impacted, but by using these enemas every 2-3 days, I have found that you can completely clear out the feces that have accumulated over the previous few days.

Of course what concerns me is that my frequent use of these enemas may cause some problems of their own. There just seems to be so much conflicting info on this subject.

For instance, I have heard reputable sources state that frequent use of enemas causes your intestines to weaken and that you will no longer be able to produce a BM on your own.
However I have also seen many reputable sources state that enemas actually help to tone your intestines and will aid in your ability to naturally produce a BM.

So while I am glad that these frequent enemas have helped keep me "unclogged", I am a bit uneasy about any damage I may be doing due to my long-term frequent use.

The other remedies people suggest (lots of fiber, fruit, xylitol/splenda)-none of those work for me.

Despite my concerns that the enemas might not be great for me, I am almost certain that it is far better for me to remain unimpacted, so I will continue with the enemas until I find an alternative. Good luck.

even at doses of 2mg, bupe gave me constipation much worse than that of a 240mg+ daily habit of oxy. I would not shit for 4-5 days, take magnesium citrate (which stopped helping after a few weeks), repeat. Being on bupe was one of the most depressing and painful times of my life.

what's your diet like?

i've been on reasonably high dose opiates for pain management over the last couple of years at periods of time and have never had too much concern regarding constipation because of my diet and exercise regime.

a diet higher in fibre is what i try to stick too and making sure i'm properly hydrated at all times so i'm not pushing out a hugely packed baby brown boy.

I agree leftwing there is a lot more to consider here besides just the dose of the bupe. I actually think the 4mg dose is completely irrelevant when you consider factors such as diet/exercise/and overall health. Those factors would seem much more relevant to causing constipation imo.
Of course people who are doing 24mg a day will have a stronger tendency, but anytime bupe constipates me I correct the problem THAT DAY by taking certain measures.

The worst thing I noticed is on days it was bad I was also eating mostly meats and almost no fruits and vegetables. These measures need to be taken BEFORE the constipation begins to escalate.
If I don't shit one day no big deal. If I'm having trouble shitting by the end of the second day thats usually when I start switching things up.

But these are things I do that help A LOT:

1) Drop out protiens/meats for a day and buy a shopping basket full of vegetables and fruits. Fruits like bananas, prunes, and grapes are the best. But I will also get random shit like apples/oranges/and strawberries. The best is to make a shake of a variety of fruits and down that bitch a couple times a day. Vegetables also help too so don't hesitate to eat lettuce/broccoli/cauliflower and other veggies.

2) This offers the most IMMEDIATE impact on my feces and it can often make me shit in as little as 30mins if Im constipated. But down 2 liters of good ol h2o then jump on a treadmill/eliptical and sweat YOUR ASS OFF. I often will feel the feces "break loose" in my intenstines when I get a sharp pain and feel the pressure moving lower to my anus. Once this pain occurs I usually am running to the bathroom.

3) Again leftwing mentioned this but staying hydrated alone is extremely important and the interesting thing is when I'm on opiates I don't usually drink that much water in the first place. I'm usually downing coffee by the cups which will only INTENSIFY the constipation. If you drink caffiene, or ANYTHING remotely diuretic, you are really fucking yourself up even worse. Cut out caffiene immediately and start pounding water. A simple 30min run will have those feces bouncing up and down inside your intenstines till they drop. But if you wait too far into constipation at a certain point you'll have so much in there its not going to matter.

4) Laxatives/stool softeners/etc. Pretty self explanatory, they make you poop. But I still suggest natural routes first. Drinking a few tablespoons of mineral oil might make you poop, but I've always wondered if they have any sort of rebound affects. Like maybe your body increases the levels of a certain chemical to rid the oils, then when you get natural oils in your food they might get broken down quicker thus be less affective. I'm doubting there IS actually any rebound, so go ahead and load up on these things if the first 3 fail.

5) Stupid and tiny little tip, but if you don't smoke try smoking a cigarette. If you DO smoke, you can still try, but I think the impact would be more severe for those who don't. I often notice however first thing in the morning I can NOT shit unless I have a smoke. It obviously does something to make you poop, not sure what though.

And those are 5 simple things I do if I'm not pooping by day 2. I'm rather confused as to why/how some of you would actually go a whole week pooping and not attempt a combination of all 5 of these things at once. If I EVER get to day 3 not pooping believe me when I say all I will be thinking about that day is ways to make myself poop. So it *seems (not saying there is) like there is a fair deal of ignorance playing into this. Not to mention if I don't poop I also start getting awful headaches. I've always assumed its due to the bloating or the actual toxins from the poop washing back into your body. But if you use suboxone you really need to have your health somewhat in check, I can't imagine the sheer level of embarassment/pain that would accompany someones hand up your unanethesized ass pulling out feces. Not something I'd wish on my worst enemy lol.

YES it does and if I ingest GHB too I end up like I did tonight....2 hours of stretching my sphincter on the throne until I finnaly gave birth to a baseball of fecal fun

showered then followed w/a rectal plug of Meth
the gates were opened...Cthulu came to life!

right, asses your diet because the bodys diegstive system is completely the root of this problem you're struggling with. my suggestion would be to, like others have said, improve the fiber in your diet. alternatively you could stock up on all sorts of laxative style products not just the typical ex-lax style ones get creative and see what your body takes to the best theres magnesium citrate, epsom salt, kaopectate, lots of choices there

This is really weird because i was on bupe for a about a month and i was on 32mg for alot of that time, and i found i was way less constipated than when i was doing 400mg of oxy a day..

I was actually shitting daily, i kinda just assumed the nalaxone was kinda acting like an opposite version of lope and throwing opioid off of my receptors in my gut, but obviously never crossing into my brain(not that that would make any difference to bupe due to its insane affinity). So yeah i just assumed that was why i wasn't getting constipated....

Now that i've started using methadone at 65mg a day, i'm noticing the constipation is way worse than when i was on suboxone, which is so fucking weird because for a second i thought the op was on subutex and thought id discovered something highly useful about the nalaxone being in the suboxone...

So weird, i'm seeing the majority of y'all get constipation worse from bupe than any other opie so maybe i'm just weird... haha very weird indeed.

I agree leftwing there is a lot more to consider here besides just the dose of the bupe. I actually think the 4mg dose is completely irrelevant when you consider factors such as diet/exercise/and overall health. Those factors would seem much more relevant to causing constipation imo.
Of course people who are doing 24mg a day will have a stronger tendency, but anytime bupe constipates me I correct the problem THAT DAY by taking certain measures.

The worst thing I noticed is on days it was bad I was also eating mostly meats and almost no fruits and vegetables. These measures need to be taken BEFORE the constipation begins to escalate.
If I don't shit one day no big deal. If I'm having trouble shitting by the end of the second day thats usually when I start switching things up.

1) Drop out protiens/meats for a day and buy a shopping basket full of vegetables and fruits. Fruits like bananas, prunes, and grapes are the best. But I will also get random shit like apples/oranges/and strawberries. The best is to make a shake of a variety of fruits and down that bitch a couple times a day. Vegetables also help too so don't hesitate to eat lettuce/broccoli/cauliflower and other veggies.

2) This offers the most IMMEDIATE impact on my feces and it can often make me shit in as little as 30mins if Im constipated. But down 2 liters of good ol h2o then jump on a treadmill/eliptical and sweat YOUR ASS OFF. I often will feel the feces "break loose" in my intenstines when I get a sharp pain and feel the pressure moving lower to my anus. Once this pain occurs I usually am running to the bathroom.

3) Again leftwing mentioned this but staying hydrated alone is extremely important and the interesting thing is when I'm on opiates I don't usually drink that much water in the first place. I'm usually downing coffee by the cups which will only INTENSIFY the constipation. If you drink caffiene, or ANYTHING remotely diuretic, you are really fucking yourself up even worse. Cut out caffiene immediately and start pounding water. A simple 30min run will have those feces bouncing up and down inside your intenstines till they drop. But if you wait too far into constipation at a certain point you'll have so much in there its not going to matter.

4) Laxatives/stool softeners/etc. Pretty self explanatory, they make you poop. But I still suggest natural routes first. Drinking a few tablespoons of mineral oil might make you poop, but I've always wondered if they have any sort of rebound affects. Like maybe your body increases the levels of a certain chemical to rid the oils, then when you get natural oils in your food they might get broken down quicker thus be less affective. I'm doubting there IS actually any rebound, so go ahead and load up on these things if the first 3 fail.

5) Stupid and tiny little tip, but if you don't smoke try smoking a cigarette. If you DO smoke, you can still try, but I think the impact would be more severe for those who don't. I often notice however first thing in the morning I can NOT shit unless I have a smoke. It obviously does something to make you poop, not sure what though.

And those are 5 simple things I do if I'm not pooping by day 2. I'm rather confused as to why/how some of you would actually go a whole week pooping and not attempt a combination of all 5 of these things at once. If I EVER get to day 3 not pooping believe me when I say all I will be thinking about that day is ways to make myself poop. So it *seems (not saying there is) like there is a fair deal of ignorance playing into this. Not to mention if I don't poop I also start getting awful headaches. I've always assumed its due to the bloating or the actual toxins from the poop washing back into your body. But if you use suboxone you really need to have your health somewhat in check, I can't imagine the sheer level of embarassment/pain that would accompany someones hand up your unanethesized ass pulling out feces. Not something I'd wish on my worst enemy lol.

nice advice:)

lots of fiber, like 30-40 grams minimum and at least half of it from raw or barely cooked veggies like broccoli, lots of water, flaxseed oil, and 30-60 minutes of daily exercise like walking and your bowels will most likely function normally. if you're going to be on opiates long term, you will need to consistently get enough fiber and water or you'll have constant problems.
i had a patient a couple years ago who claimed she hadn't had a BM for a month. when admitted to hospital w/ bowel obstruction she was vomiting feces. when the docs operated on her they had to removed a couple feet of large bowel.
wicked nasty problem, something you really, really want to avoid.
-izzy

I actually DID follow ALL of this advice all those months I was on subs and only shitting once a week, but nothing helped....even enemas. It was SERIOUSLY impacted.

Following an accident I was on IV opoid analgesics and went from shitting twice to three times daily (I eat a high fiber diet) to not shitting for about a week. They gave me stool softeners for it that didn't work, finally gave an enema and it helped. Everyone I know on bupe has had issues with constipation...I wouldn't wanna pass a baseball out of my ass that's for sure! OUCH!

I had a friend who got put on 24mg of bupe per day when he went to rehab.... ridiculously high dose....

Anyways, he had to get a grapefrutie sized turd surgically removed from his anus...

I was telling him on the phone that they had him on too much suboxone, and he was trying to say that it wasnt enough....

all I know is that must have sucked...

I, in the past, had some problems with bupe and constipation. I just lowered my dose until I could poop normal, but it took me a year of pooping being the one activity I truly dreaded doing, before I decided to fix the problem.

bupe has me only shit a couple times a week (been on it for 3+ years), but when i think about it, even when i was young before i had ever done drugs (like 10years old and under) i would only go a couple times a week.. but when i was on methadone that was a whole different story. I would only go once every couple weeks and i would push so hard i thought i would die and my ass would bleed from pushing footballs outta my ass. Methadone was by far the worst constipation i have ever gotten.. i've been on codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, bupe and methadone at different times of my addiction and the latter was by far the worst for me.
But than again i take a small dose of bupe (1-2mg)daily. My 'done dose was 120mg/daily.

I was on methadone for yrs and yrs and had little problem with regularity. But as soon as I switched to bupe it became a BIG problem and motivated me to taper. On 1mg I still have to monitor it closely. Just about every other day I mix up a concotion of:

6-8 oz of Pomgranate Juice
frozen peach pieces
froozen blueberries
frozen blackberries
1/3 cup 51% bran flakes

[frozen is precut and cheaper]

Mix it in a blender and drink it down. You can add a spoonful of brown sugar for taste.

I also walk 30 mins on a treadmill, drink 2-3 20oz bottles of water, and eat a bowl of navy bean soup mixed/cooked with onions, celery, carrots and garlic... or else a bean burrito from Taco bell. Next morning I empty myself completely.

The bean soup actually tastes pretty good with some bacon/ham bits added along with a tad of hot sauce. This along with the walk insures the result from the blender drink... it's never failed me.

Since gettin on suboxone about 11 months ago I havnt had a good shit since. I shit probally 2 times a week and t's always in "balls" and hurts like a motherfucker...

And in 4 years of heroin this would never happen as bad..must have something to do with suboxone strength/half life?