View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

fear of salvia/dmt

MindSeeker

Bluelighter
I am fairly familiar with psychedelics, mostly LSD, but I am drawn towards substances that can reveal more secrets of the universe… I am mostly thinking about salvia and DMT. And here’s my problem. I am scared. With LSD I am in control, at least sort of, but here… I know that one puff can take me somewhere where I won’t be able to come back until the trip is over.
I tried trace amounts of both DMT and salvia and salvia did freak me out a bit, I couldn’t recognize my wife and I forgot how to use language… it was just for like a minute but scared me a bit.

I know that even though with salvia there’s quite a risk the trip will be bad, DMT in “normal” dose is almost always fun, but I am still scared. My question is… did any of you have such a fear and learn how to overcome it… or should I take my fear as the sign that’s it’s not for me, at least not at the second?

Salvia is a horribly uncomfortable drug, I hate that stuff. I would never use salvia to try and have an enjoyable mind altering trip. DMT on the other hand is great. If you have a nice calm and comfortable place to lay down with no distractions you will have an amazing time. It blasts you into another universe but it’s incredibly enjoyable compared to salvia.. in my opinion

I never got anything out of salvia divinorum. It was a disappointment. I like LSD though and I want to try DMT

I tried salvia once didn’t huff it. Dmt is great for dreaming.

Salvia and DMT are worlds apart. I’ve tried too many drugs to count but the only one I’ve tried only once never to take again, was Salvia.

DMT on the other hand, often induces a feeling of love/compassion and complete understanding. Especially if it’s good pure white DMT, waxy stuff can induce a little anxiety on the rougher (in comparison) comeup.

All that said I still had fear in my early days of DMT, the initial comeup could be too much. I slowly worked my way up to breakthrough doses.

Also one technique I use to help reduce that anxious feeling is to start with a small hit of DMT to dip your toes in a bit. Then after a couple minutes take a larger hit to go all the way. There will be a slight tolerance increase to the subsequent dose but not enough to make it wasteful and the ease of entrance is worth it.

-GC

I smoked salvia with a gravity bong, since that's probably the easiest way to get high. I found that lingering smoke / taste in the mouth and throat worsens the high. Has anyone every thought of using salvia extract to cook a "tea" for rectal roa, maybe with ethanol as a solvent and then filter & evaporate? The experience / high should be smoother if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
My method for salvia has been combining with DXM. There are four reasons for doing so:
  1. The synergy of the "dissociative launchpad", facilitating breakthrough. It helps that salvia has dissociative aspects on its own.
  2. Easy to hold in big rips as the cough reflex is directly suppressed.
  3. You won't be mobile, so you don't risk trashing the place like in those salvia vids on youtube.
  4. Pertinent to your issue: DXM kills the fear involved with frying the densest nerve bundle in your brain (the kappa opioid receptor is expressed all over the claustrum, which does the topmost organizing of the mind, sometimes compared to an orchestra conductor).
I'm talking a second plateau dose of DXM. First plat still enjoys 1, 2 and perhaps 4, but won't function as your trip sitter keeping you out of physical harm's way. On third plat the actual smoking becomes hard or impossible, but you'll still be plenty immobilized on the long, slow comedown, which gives the most exquisite synergy of all in my experience. My most peaceful salvia experience has been while coming down from 900mg DXM, even though I hadn't slept off the shrooms/acid combo I had done before yet.

(Do note that when I talk DXM, I'm implying DXM together with a small dose of antihistamine, and plenty of common herb. Nausea doesn't help feeling prepared for trans-galactic lift-off. Cannabis paranoia is no issue on DXM.)

For me, DMT is like a peak Mushroom trip all at once. Like Shrooms and LSD, you're still "there" after a hit of DMT.
After hearing my friends accounts of Salvia, I never tried it. The complete diassociation from reality sounds like way too much for me.

I am fairly familiar with psychedelics, mostly LSD, but I am drawn towards substances that can reveal more secrets of the universe… I am mostly thinking about salvia and DMT. And here’s my problem. I am scared. With LSD I am in control, at least sort of, but here… I know that one puff can take me somewhere where I won’t be able to come back until the trip is over.
I tried trace amounts of both DMT and salvia and salvia did freak me out a bit, I couldn’t recognize my wife and I forgot how to use language… it was just for like a minute but scared me a bit.

I know that even though with salvia there’s quite a risk the trip will be bad, DMT in “normal” dose is almost always fun, but I am still scared. My question is… did any of you have such a fear and learn how to overcome it… or should I take my fear as the sign that’s it’s not for me, at least not at the second?
Well, first of all, only you know what type of fear you have and why. If there is nothing but fear, I think it's not the worst idea to just leave these things alone as long this is the case. But I do understand you, these being shot out of a rocket type come ups are no joke. Can't say much about DMT but here is something regarding salvia divinorum that may help you out:

If you are planing to have "a good/joyful time" or an "insightful spiritual type experience", I'm not sure salvia is the right drug for it. It's no doubt one of the most bizarre and far out things I've ever come across! If you want to push the envelope of what experience per se can entail, or want to challenge your intellectual grasp or framework of, well, everything, then maybe there is something in store for you.

Have tried all sorts of ROAs with leaves (had a lot of plants as well one day) before moving on to extracts. I think it's worth getting a standardized one, which takes aways the worry/gamble of "how strong will it be?". When I started exploring it back in the day, I did it with incremental doses, each day a bit more, analyzing it etc., ..easing my way into it, if you will. Don't worry, I dont't think there is a way of "getting used to it", ever!

This looks like a reasonable approach, and a way to manage anxiety, because many years later (still having large quantities of extract) I decided to do it again, for no particular reason. Looked at my notes (dose: check), prepared the space (setting: check) but I had no intention and clearly forgot how dissociative and alien the experience is (set: fail), which resulted in having an absolute horrifying experience, despite a moderate dose! But it left me with quite an appreciation of ordinary reality for some time, so it was not all bad. If you are not prepared to let go of reality, of everything you know and are to begin with, salvia divinorum will rip you out of it with no mercy and zero warning. And it not necessarily takes you to a happy and divine place afterwards, but it's possible to be blown away by amazement of how weird and otherworldly thing can become, whether "you" are there or not. And don't be fooled by the short duration of effect, that doesn't mean anything; I am serious here! That's how I feel about it. I was planing to do a report for erowid based on this experience, but this takes so much work.. (so haven't yet done it naturally).

I think respect it certainly advised with salvia divinorium. (These videos of trailer park folks unmindfully doing 60x extract for the first time surround by assholes called friends on the porch besides a busy road scare the living crap out of me, I can't watch them.) If I decide to explore it again, I will certainly ease my way into it as described above; sanity is not worth giving away carelessly.

Good luck.

I don't know man, I see people gobble whatever-PCP or ketamine but are afraid of Salvia. Salvia has been an ally of mine since 1999. I usually blast through several times a year. I always get good loving directive effects. It sort of takes care of me and I appreciate it. I am really surprised more people have not made it an ally. The funny thing about it, and I have wrote a lot about it on this board, is it does not show different dimensions as we know it. It opens up something else that I can not describe. It's own dimensions. Now DMT opens a lof of dimensions, billions flying before your eyes. Salvia sort of does the same thing but opposite.

Both are ally's of mine and have been for years. I wish the big and dandy Salvia thread would pick up. I know some peope can work with Salvia. And contrary to all the notions that "it doesn't like to be smoked" or it has to be done this way or that way. That is BS. (And I Love Kathleen Harrison a lot) But Salvia introduced itself to the world through smoking. That is just a fact. And based off of the wonderful healinng experiences I have had I know that to be true. Every once in a while I will quid, but smoking is the path I use.

^It's a substance that can rip your body into pieces with concrete tangible somatic realism and you wonder what more there is to fear than with neurological fear-killers? =D

It also clearly doesn't take care of everyone.

But if you're right and RoA certainly plays no role, then that's a bummer. I probably won't revisit then.

Salvia and DMT are worlds apart. I’ve tried too many drugs to count but the only one I’ve tried only once never to take again, was Salvia.

DMT on the other hand, often induces a feeling of love/compassion and complete understanding. Especially if it’s good pure white DMT, waxy stuff can induce a little anxiety on the rougher (in comparison) comeup.

All that said I still had fear in my early days of DMT, the initial comeup could be too much. I slowly worked my way up to breakthrough doses.

Also one technique I use to help reduce that anxious feeling is to start with a small hit of DMT to dip your toes in a bit. Then after a couple minutes take a larger hit to go all the way. There will be a slight tolerance increase to the subsequent dose but not enough to make it wasteful and the ease of entrance is worth it.

-GC
I think that's the approach I am going to take, thanks!

If you are planing to have "a good/joyful time" or an "insightful spiritual type experience", I'm not sure salvia is the right drug for it. It's no doubt one of the most bizarre and far out things I've ever come across! If you want to push the envelope of what experience per se can entail, or want to challenge your intellectual grasp or framework of, well, everything, then maybe there is something in store for you.

For joyful time I would use 1 tab of LSD :) Shortly speaking, I want to meet aliens. See other realities. Thank you, I'll take some time thinking about your post!

I don't know man, I see people gobble whatever-PCP or ketamine but are afraid of Salvia. Salvia has been an ally of mine since 1999. I usually blast through several times a year. I always get good loving directive effects. It sort of takes care of me and I appreciate it. I am really surprised more people have not made it an ally. The funny thing about it, and I have wrote a lot about it on this board, is it does not show different dimensions as we know it. It opens up something else that I can not describe. It's own dimensions. Now DMT opens a lof of dimensions, billions flying before your eyes. Salvia sort of does the same thing but opposite.

Both are ally's of mine and have been for years. I wish the big and dandy Salvia thread would pick up. I know some peope can work with Salvia. And contrary to all the notions that "it doesn't like to be smoked" or it has to be done this way or that way. That is BS. (And I Love Kathleen Harrison a lot) But Salvia introduced itself to the world through smoking. That is just a fact. And based off of the wonderful healinng experiences I have had I know that to be true. Every once in a while I will quid, but smoking is the path I use.
After your post I want to try it even more! But I think I'll start with DMT. I've heard the opinion that these substances have to sort "let you in", and sometimes they may or may not do that. I've hear that only about plant-derived substances. I, for example, have always had great time with LSD but after a few trips psilocybin stopped working for me, at least for now, all I get is visuals and anxiety.

never tried salvia but I have done dmt three times

ime it’s nothing to be fearful of. Honestly I’m less afraid of a dmt trip than an lsd trip because one is 15 mins max and the other 12 hours long

I’m glad I tried dmt when I did, personally. I have some friends who say they wont try it until they have “reached the end of their journey” but idk how you would even know that or if that is even actually possible. It’s ascribed this pedestal status in some circles, which I don’t necessarily think is warranted. For some individuals it may well be the “king psychedelic” but for others (like myself) it’s LSD, or mushrooms, etc

obviously any psychedelic trip needs to approached with thoughtfulness but I don’t believe any additional anxiety about DMT is warranted

Last edited:
@MindSeeker , I have used salvia 1000's of times.
I like it. My comfort zone is ~25%-30% of the doses recommended eg I am totalled at 250ug to 340ug while most people need 1000ug Salvinorin-A.

it's amazing, but strong.
The amount that made you forget your wife is the max you should attempt to use, it is the beginning of amnesia level and that is the limit, except for more extreme amnesia, which, if you start moving means that you are as likely to jump out the window as fall down the stairs.
go to https://Sagewisdom.org and review the SALVIA Scale and play safe.

The mind you seek is always with you. Take it easy as you become more sensitive, focus on becoming more relaxed. Achieving tranquil states by intention is an ability to develop, but you develop that offline, i.e. not when stoned; later those habits can come into play when you are stoned, but they have to be learned in advance.

The tranquility I am talking about is not achieved by tranquilizers, which are CNS depressant and will not show you what you seek at all.

Fear is something that tranquility helps you to make space for. It is OK to have fear and to let it go too.

Again you have to practice relaxing in advance until you can let go and be calm when you need to, because Salvia will jerk you into a much different state of mind very quickly, there is no time to get on top of it, so you have to be able to react to the onset of fear with letting go into your familiar and larger and more tranquil awareness of mental space which you can practice before hand.

My one Salvia experience was beyond anything I could’ve prepared for... Complete loss of self, so fast I didn’t have time to think about what was happening. And then a bright light off in the distance, no thoughts, no me, just a light. It gets closer and closer until I realize it’s a top corner of the room view, below I see my body convulsing on the bed as my friend hides in the corner scared I’m possessed or something.

Not only did I have a full ego loss faster than ever, but also had an OBE. Once I came out I saw that what I was seeing in the vision was exactly what was happening in real life. Despite me with my eyes closed convulsing too hard to see much of anything. Mind fuck at 16 lol.

I think after that one experience I got everything I needed to out of Salvia. Maybe I’m wrong but the roller coaster ride that it is, isn’t for the faint of heart.

-GC

^It's a substance that can rip your body into pieces with concrete tangible somatic realism and you wonder what more there is to fear than with neurological fear-killers? =D
Ah C'mon, a little soul shredding is theraputic. lol And besides any of those heavy substances can do that. DMT can.

After my breakthrough in 1999 on 5x all I need these days is half a gram of plain leaf crushed in a tobacco pipe. Either one or two large puffs held in. With Salvia you have more time to take hits unlike DMT. If you get your hit or two within a minute and a half it builds with Salvia. I swear with DMT after the first minute I feel it starts getting wasted. I can only do one large hit held in and I am gone with DMT. It is easy enough and smooth if done right. To me DMT needs splintered light in a sort of dark room. Salvia needs complete silence and darkness and any little noise seems to snap me out of the trance for a second.

I know there have been harrowing experiences. And I can not say why it doesn't treat some people well. After my first breakthrough I almost got up off the bed and I heard a woman's voice go shhhhh, lay back down. And ever since I am immobilize and pinned to my bed or chair when I use it. I do have some beautiful experiences. People talk about afterglows with Salvia I feel it screws my head on right. And Dale Pendell said the best time to use Salvia is when you are in a deep funk not knowing how to move forward. I can't remember the actual sentence.

I know we are dealing with kappa and not mu, but there is some definate relief of opiate withdrawal for a few minutes while one is in the trance. I bet studies will lead back to this in some way.

Last edited:
In every case where people hate it, they managed to take too much or hold it in too long.

yes you are supposed to take enough to hit Visionary and or Immaterial, but most people hit Amnesia and squirm or fall and make a mess.

Then again some people want a good smack in the face kind of treatment. Or they imagine they might see god or at least a fairy or elf.