• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fear of Flying - Help Please

FlyBoy24

Greenlighter
I have a flight in 7 days and I am as nervous as heck. I flew back in October with little issue, but my anxiety has since taken off. I have a slight fear of the plane crashing, but am more so nervous about having an anxiety or panic attack and feeling trapped in the plane. I have had a few attacks over the last 4 months.

My Dr. Prescribed Klonopin, 10x, 0.5mg to take "as needed". Both he and the pharmacist recommended that I "test" ahead of time, which I did yesterday. I took 1 pill and did feel a little tired and a little more relaxed about 90 mins later, but not what I would consider enough. FYI - I weigh 215 lbs

From all I have read, I feel like maybe I need a stronger dosage and maybe by way of Xanax. I want to be able to take something and be as close to out of it as possible... while being safe. I have a follow up with my Dr in 2 days.

Thoughts?!

Have you taken either of these meds before now? Xanax would hit you faster but is not as long-lasting as Klonopin. Maybe your doctor can give you those to try instead. One thing I would caution you about is until your flight, don't use them (besides another test run) With frequent use, tolerance raises and for many people, they can lose their effectiveness pretty quickly. Welcome to Bluelight and have a safe trip! :)

How long is your flight? If you really want to knock yourself out, have a glass of wine or a cocktail with you meds. Don't overdo it, but a drink or two should be fine. And if you do not have a benzo tolerance, you'll sleep the whole flight.

Clonazepam will be better for keeping you down the whole flight-You will need more than 0.5mg, though. After a test, 1.5-2mg would be my recommendation, as I understand the fear of flying!

I have tested Klonopin a few times over the last 2 weeks. 4 times. Once at 0.125 mg, twice at 0.25 mg, and yesterday at 0.5 mg. I have not taken Xanax in at least 10 years (Also for flying. Don't really remember how it went honestly)

The flight is 4 hours, but my panic is definitely front end loaded (checking in, waiting to board, boarding, taxiing, takeoff).

I would like to test once or twice more, either with a higher dosage of Klonopin or Xanax. Will tolerance set in already? Should I test more? If so, a full 1 mg of either or maybe 0.75 mg?

Lol .125? Didn't know they made those unless you were breakin the .5s in half. I used to take 2mgs in 10th grade without a tolerance just to relax more in school and I don't weigh as much as you. To be honest take 1 mg or 2 mgs and that should be enough for you to relax and not worry the flight. Also don't more people die in car accidents than plane crashes? You're likely just over thinking the whole situation, if anything benzos are good to sleep the whole flight but if you are nervous it would certainly help with that too.

I was breaking the .5s, yes.

lol, I realize the flight will be ok... it's me I'm worried about. If I have some extreme panic or anxiety attack. Would you guys, knowing the 0.5 mg didn't do that much, request Xanax or double up the Klonopin?

I'd suggest xanax, it's better for anxiety and faster acting. Plus it doesn't have a 24 hour half life so you aren't left feeling sluggish the next day. Instead it has only a 11 - 12 hour half life.

Thanks. That was my thought too. I will ask my Dr. on Wednesday. I am like a yo-yo. One minute I think "it will probably go ok". The next I'm paralyzed thinking "what if..." What if the medicine doesn't work... what if I lose my crap as the flight taxis... what if my heart rate spikes to like 150 over the ocean. Which seems so dumb, like I have only had a couple panic attacks ever, and I know the medicine should help. Ugh...

I hate flying too.. I take 2mg of Xanax and have a beer or 2 and I?m good.. I have a tolerance though.. so you might want a smaller dose.

So, if the doctor gives me 0.5 mg pills of Xanax should I test 0.75mg to see how I feel?

No I'd test 1 mg. Xanax makes me a lot sleepier than kpin so I'd keep that in mind although it affects everyone differently. I'd start with 1mg and see how it affects you.

Thanks. And If he refuses to prescribe Xanax then I'm guessing I should test 1 mg of Kpin?

^ Ues, although for flying you will
likely need 2mg-Still, test a lower dose, and remember, it takes 2-3hours for clonazepam to peak, yet it lasts 8-12 hours with a single dose-still think Klonopin is the better option, since flying will take a good while, meaning ifnyour fearful enough you will have to redose the xanax. Xanax(alrpazolam) would be better for treating a panic attack on the plane, though

From my personal experience 2mg of Kpin is equal to or a little less than 1mg of Xanax. I?m sure there are conversion charts that will prove me wrong.. but Kpin takes large doses to help me at all.

^ It's a very different type of benzodiazepine, in many different ways m
However with chronic adminstration it is undoubtedly more potent, or at least as potent, as alprazolam, and longer lasting-With a heavy benzodiazepine dependency, you would understand-it is like people underestimating the potency of methadone, and it's typically long(yet odd) Duration-anyway, this is about treating fear in a unique situation, although your personal experience is now noted :)

You guys have been incredibly helpful. I appreciate it. I will ask the Dr Wednesday if he will consider Xanax.

If he says yes - I will test 1 mg of Xanax Weds. afternoon around 5 - 6 p.m.

If he says no - I will test 1 mg of Klonopin Weds. afternoon around 5 - 6 p.m.

During the test I will try to genuinely see how it's working (i.e. is this placebo? Could I get on a plane? Could I handle more? Check my heart rate)

My trick is to not sleep the night before, eat very little for breakfast and have only water. I then take 1.5-2mg of ativan when I'm buckling in. I'm generally out(ish) by takeoff.
Don't forget: the pilots have to get home too.

Honestly all the testing you're doing is going to make it worse. I know that's what the anxious person likes to do, but it makes things worse. Your best bet is just to do what the Dr. told you to do and stop testing.

I totally agree Jimmy. But how else will I know if the Xanax dosage is enough, or if I will have any adverse effects?