View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Favorite Movies To Watch On Psychedelics

cannabiskid

Greenlighter
Just wondering if you guys know any trippy movies to watch on psychedelics. My favorite is "Spirited Away" (or any Miyazaki movie) and "Heavy Metal" both are animated, but spirited away is probably the most visually stunning movie I have ever seen, considering its all hand drawn, its amazing.

Yeah those are great movies. Mr.Nobody is great. I've got to think of more later!

I like to watch things that are musical. August Rush comes to mind because that was the last movie I watched tripping. Or something like Yellow Submarine by the Beatles or Pink Floyds The Wall.
Good musical concert documentaries like The Last Waltz, The Grateful Dead Movie, Festival Express.
Music is important to me while tripping so that what I lean towards.

Something with beautiful cinematography would lend itself well to tripping because it would feel like looking at a moving painting.
I've enjoyed watching nature documentaries for that reason. And they can be insightful.

Something with beautiful cinematography would lend itself well to tripping because it would feel like looking at a moving painting.

"Moving painting" is what my old roommate called Barry Lyndon when we watched it on acid one time. I really like it, highly recommended.

Cool recommendations. I don't often watch tv/computer screens while tripping much, but El Topo is a cool movie on Lsds. Four Rooms is a fun movie.

I generally find watching movies on psychedelics too passive an exercise.
But i enjoyed "Yellow Submarine" on acid at least once :)

Only ever bothered doing it once but It was amazing 'Scott Pilgrim Vs The World'

I also think watching movies on psychs is way too passive, even on the comedown I would rather just listen to music and close my eyes usually. 'The Holy Mountain' is a pretty bizarre and trippy movie in any mindstate though.

Oh definitely, Mr Nobody is one of my favorite movies!

As is Spirited Away.

Let's see...

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium is nice, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Alice in Wonderland, both the last one as the animated version.

Human is a great documentary to watch, also anything about nature, and Baraka and Samsara.

Gravity is great on psychedelics!Most movies about space are great imo, Interstellar was also very good for that.Also
Guardians of the Galaxy (bit goofy) 5th Element (!!), Pandorum, Edge of Tomorrow, 2001 Space Odyssey etc...

Summer Wars is a great anime, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Mind Game, A Letter to Momo, Kiki's Flying Delivery Service, almost everything by studio Ghibli really, Dead Leaves, Ghost in the Shell. A Scanner Darkly and Waking Life work as well, The Animatrix, Tekkonkinkreet....

Watchmen, Stardust (I know, I know), Big Fish, Life of Pi, La Science Des Rêves...

Animated movies with lots of color like, Inside Out, Up, Big Hero 6, Wreck it Ralph, The Book of Life, Song of the Sea, etc...

And so much more....
Just nothing that needs a lot of focus when tripping for me.

Last edited:
I also think watching movies on psychs is way too passive, even on the comedown I would rather just listen to music and close my eyes usually. 'The Holy Mountain' is a pretty bizarre and trippy movie in any mindstate though.

Oh man Jodorowsky. El Topo, Santa Sangre and the dance of reality along with The holy mountain. All recommended viewing on psychedelics and without, if you have any interests in spirituality.

Everyone should watch El Topo just the description is awesome: a metaphysical acid western.

I'm gonna throw out Blade Runner: The Director's Cut as well, since no one else has.

Sita Sings The Blues

Indian mythology + 1920s jazz music + interesting animation style. Perfect for tripping imho.

Oh no way! I went to this hippie day festival last summer where they played this on a projector (interspersed with other clips of video) in time with the music and it fucking blew my mind. They didn't play the audio of it, just the video, and mixed in clips of a lot of other things too. I was on 4-HO-MiPT at the time, it couldn't have been better. Thanks for reminding me of the name of it, I asked the guy who ran the video and he told me but I had forgotten since then. :)

Princess Mononoke is also good. Also watching Baraka and then Samsara in 8K was incredible

The Prestige was very nice and surprisingly suitable for tripping.

I like the classics -

The Matrix, (first one only)

Any 'travelign through the universe' the shows

Family Guy/American Dad/etc - to lighten the load

Things that make you think like Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring.

The Prestige was very nice and surprisingly suitable for tripping.
Loses its fun if you've seen it once though, as do most Christopher Nolan films. Can't be fooled by the same plot twists twice 8)

His first film was his best IMO, it's called Following, I believe it's actually on Netflix right now!