• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Father stabs drug-addicted son to stop abuse - (stabber gets time served)

thats fucking horrible...try to stab his own flesh and blood. i'll admit i have pushed my parents pretty hard before during my years of drug addiction, so i can understand this guys anger, but stabbing his son? wtf...

yea phrozen with the big mod stick now...havbe u been the mod for this forum for a while or am i just not with it lol

medicine cabinet said:
yea phrozen with the big mod stick now...havbe u been the mod for this forum for a while or am i just not with it lol

Since yesterday. %)

This is fucked up. They should have just kicked the guy out and had him arrested if he tried to come back. You don't try and kill your own family no matter how fucked up they are or what they have done. I hope the father get's a long jail sentence for this.

Also drugs arent the issue here at all. The guy was a dickhead plain and simple and he would have been like that anyway. Drugs or no drugs.

I think the issue with the son is his drug addiction, and what crimes he has done to support it. So drugs are an issue, albeit transitively.

Regardless, as said before, it is no excuse for what his father has done to him.

That's horrible, and the family are fucked as well. Considering how wacked their moral values are (and ability to deal with a serious issue appropriately) I could probably make the unfair assumption that they were shitty, uncaring parents to their son.

DITM is a good forum, OD is the same questions over and over.

Splatt said:
DITM is a good forum, OD is the same questions over and over.

I agree. And no one really cleans up the mess we call OD anymore. I think he'd be a bit more attentive to the situation over there lol. Plus he's so knowledgeable. But I get what you're saying.

The father is probably hooked on prescription drugs for his severe mental problems. Keep the asshole locked up.

i dont believe this guy could really black out and kill his son w/out knowing it. he was mad at him at that moment and wanted to hurt him. the blacking out part is a load of BS .. he should man up and let it be known he just wanted his junkie son dead.

can't believe the mother said the son was "evil"

its drug addiction not someone being malicious for no reason.

Follow up article with more details.

A father's failure: How 1 ruined life became 2
Jill Porter
Philly Daily News

LAWRENCE DUGAN Sr. sits with his arms folded on a table in the visitor's center of Delaware County Prison - until he gets to the critical moment in his story.

Then he lifts both arms over his head, clasps his hands together, one palm clenched around the other - and demonstrates how he held a knife in the air before plunging it into his son's chest.

"I hit him so hard," he said quietly.

"I could feel it. I could hear it, the squishing. It was the sickest thing."

Dugan, 52, has been in prison since Aug. 29, when he attempted to kill his son, a heroin addict who'd tormented him for years with his abusive and depraved behavior. Lawrence Dugan Jr., 25, who police said has a long and violent criminal history, survived.

Dugan is being held on $500,000 bail, waiting for the court to appoint a lawyer to represent him.

I'm here to talk with Dugan because I'm morbidly fascinated. What, I wonder, could drive someone to such a desperate act?

He's a man who has worked his whole life - 65 hours a week at a pizza parlor after his father died when he was a teen, he said; more than 30 years at the U.S. Postal Service, supervising two dozen workers in his last job at the main post office.

"I loved working; I'd like to go back to work," he said.

The hardworking employee-turned-attempted murderer? How does it happen?

So many families suffer with defiant, troubled and sick children. How does it get to the point of attempting to resolve it with a six-inch fishing knife?

"I wasted my whole life on that kid - that's how I feel," Dugan told me, speaking evenly, his rheumy blue eyes glancing away.

His son was a one-time gymnast, choirboy and gifted student who was transformed into a "demon" as a teen, he said. He became a truant and then a drop-out, an abusive addict who made life at home unbearable.

"There was a lot of turmoil in our house," Dugan said.

Dugan took his son with him when he separated from his wife 10 years ago, thinking he'd spare her and his three other children any more torment, thinking that things would get better for all of them, he said.

But things got worse. His son cursed him, stole money from him, pawned his belongings, wrecked his cars, turned their apartments into drug dens.

Why did he tolerate it?

"Guilt," he said. "I felt guilty. I felt - where's he going to go? I guess I was fearful of him a little bit, too."

Then there was the poverty. Court-ordered child support took so much of Dugan's paycheck that he and his son lived without furniture, often without food, becoming ill and drifting from place to place, he said.

Dugan began drinking more and more heavily, spending his nights at the corner bar, going home to pass out before getting up to repeat the cycle.

In fact, you get the sense, sitting in this neat and well-lighted room at the prison - where life is calm, orderly and predictable - that this is the most serenity Dugan has ever known.

"I feel safe," he agreed.

By the end of July, Dugan's life was so unbearable that he took leave from work.

He said he attempted suicide by swallowing 55 pills - not for the first time in his life - but managed only to make himself violently ill.

"I've been a depressed person all my life, but pretty much harmless," he said.

Then his son stole his DVD player. He found a bag of heroin in their apartment on West Chester Pike. And he trooped across the road to Upper Darby police.

He told them about the heroin. He told them his son said he wanted to get a gun so he could "go out like Scarface" and kill cops. Surely he could be arrested?

Instead, Dugan said, he was told to go to court and get a stay-away order or commit his son to a mental hospital.

He returned home, more desperate than ever.

"I went to sleep on the couch and woke up at 4:30, 5," he said.

He found a heroin needle in the bathtub. His son was passed out, wrapped tightly in a blue blanket, "like a zombie."

"He was laying there. It was like he wasn't my son. He was shaking and making noises.

"I was going crazy in my mind. I was freaking out. I said, I can't take this anymore."

He saw the knife. He picked it up and stood over his son for two long minutes, he said. He made the sign of the cross. Then he plunged it into him.

"I went nuts. I started hacking at him and screaming, 'You ruined my life!' "

The two struggled as he "hacked at him" again and again.

"I went to finish him off and something in my head said, 'Stop. This is crazy.'

"I saw blood on him. He looked like my son again."

Dugan dropped the knife, walked outside and asked the first person he saw to call police.

He said he still loves his son, but "I never want to see him again. I exorcised him from my life."

The stabbing was another form of suicide, I think, an escape from a hell Dugan couldn't bring himself to terminate voluntarily.

"I guess I wasn't strong enough," he said about his role as a father.

In fact, the most jarring thing Dugan said during the hour-and-a-half we talked was that when he was stabbing his son - when he was wrestling this bigger, stronger, younger man, when they were reeling across the bloodied apartment - he felt like he was finally in charge.

"I felt like a father," he said. *

Link!

wtd this is fucked up.. i don't care what excuses the father had, having a horrible son doesn't give you the right to try and kill him. kick him out of home, press charges, push him out of your life, whatever you want, but don't kill him.

What a terrible father. There would be no doubt in peoples minds who was wrong if the son wasn't a drug user - even if he did steal from his dad. I hope he doesn't get off the hook simply by condemning drug users with the warped perception that such an atrocity is fine to commit to someone dependent on drugs.

Upper Darby man who stabbed junkie son is freed
STEPHANIE FARR
Philadelphia Daily News

Lawrence Dugan Sr. left Delaware County Court yesterday a free man, having already served the one-month sentence he received for nearly stabbing his heroin-addicted son to death.

But his new-found freedom may have less to do with escaping a lengthy jail term and more to do with a particular condition of his sentence - he's no longer allowed contact with his son.

On an August morning last year, Dugan Sr., 54, prayed over his sleeping son, 25-year-old Lawrence Dugan Jr., at the Upper Darby apartment the two shared. He then made the sign of the cross and drove a six-inch knife into his namesake's head, back, chest and stomach.

"I went nuts. I started hacking at him and screaming, 'You ruined my life!' " Dugan told Daily News columnist Jill Porter when she visited him at the Delaware County Prison in October.

According to Dugan, his ex-wife, daughter and Upper Darby Police, Dugan Jr. was possessed by a nasty, decade-old heroin habit that led him to steal, pawn and destroy his father's life and belongings.

"I think my son is evil, is what it comes down to," Patricia Dugan, Dugan Sr.'s ex-wife, previously told the Daily News.

After finding heroin in his home and hearing his son threaten to kill cops, Dugan Sr. went to police, but there was little they could do. The next morning, after finding a heroin needle in the bathtub and seeing his son passed out, Dugan Sr. made the decision to end his son's tortured life.

Originally charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and other violent crimes, those charges were dropped at the preliminary hearing because the younger Dugan refused to testify against his father, Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said.

"So what we worked out was a deal to get him held on some type of charge," Chitwood said.

That deal included Dugan's assurance that he would plead guilty to charges of simple assault and possessing instruments of a crime.

"At the end of the day, I think justice has been served," Chitwood said. "The father, even though he was the stabber, he was not the villain in this case."

Dugan Sr. has been fully cooperative with authorities since moments after the crime occurred, his lawyer, Harry Kleinman, said.

By his side at previous court dates were his daughter, Melissa, and ex-wife, Patricia, who were absent in court yesterday. Kleinman said they didn't feel it necessary to attend since he wasn't facing an additional prison sentence.

As part of his plea agreement, Dugan was sentenced to 30 days to 23 months in county prison, 56 hours community service and one year probation, with the condition that he has no contact with his son at any time while under supervision.

Dugan Sr., who served more than three months in prison before posting bail, received credit for the time he served.

"However serious the nature of this activity is I think everyone recognized the mitigating circumstances Lawrence Dugan Sr. was dealing with without necessarily condoning his behavior," Kleinman said.

Lawrence Dugan Jr.'s lengthy criminal history, which includes cases of aggravated assault, harassment and even a stabbing in Upper Darby, only grew longer after he recovered from his injuries.

According to court records, Dugan Jr. was arrested again in December on 24 theft-related charges, including bad checks, forgery and receiving stolen property. He remains at the Delaware County Prison on $35,000 bail.

"Junior is a bad guy. You name it, he's done it," Chitwood said. "Junior is not an innocent victim in society. He put that family in fear."

Link!

"The father, even though he was the stabber, he was not the villain in this case."
That's coming from the top police official there. 8o