• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

FAQ & Guide - How To Get The Most Out Of Amphetamines!

im old fashion and classic, i use cottons, never had those sophisticated micron filters, matter fact, never met a drug addict in my life that used micron filters , etc..everyone uses cottons in my world..

Mirtazapine is good for coming off of amphetamines because of it's antagonistic effects on dopamine, as well as Norepinephrine. However, Mirtazapine will have no effect on tolerance to amphetamines because it has no effect on the NMDA receptor.

Mirtazapine could in theory potentiate amphetamine the next day because of it's inverse agonistic effects on the α2A-adrenergic receptor. However, because it antagonizes dopamine, blocks the dopamine transporter, antagonizes adrenaline (at all sites except the α2A site), and blocks the norepinephrine transporter - this is very unlikely.

Brace yourself:

"1. 5-HT1a is not blocked by mirtazapine. (this is very important)
- 5-HT1a agonism improves anxiety and depression; agonizing many other 5-HT receptors tends to do the opposite and create anxiety/mood instability; like when hallucinogens activate 5-HT2a, producing hallucinations, perceptual alterations, euphoria etc, but also commonly producing anxiety, paranoia and radical emotional shifts.
1a. SSRIs/SNRIs increases synaptic serotonin so it can bind to the 5-HT1a receptor more often; but they don't stop it from binding to the other 5-HT receptors as well. As I mentioned above, this is partly why SSRIs and SNRIs have so many negative side effects, from agonizing 5-HT receptors that don't necessarily produce positive effects through activation.
1b. 5-HT1a activation also causes a cascade release of quite a few hormones like oxytocin(facilitates love and bonding) and even beta endorphin(reduces pain, improves mood). B endorphin could contribute to anti-depressant/anxiolitic and the possible analgesic effects of some AD's indicated in conditions like fibromylagia. Increased oxytocin likely contributes to reduced aggression, pro-social behavior and tranquility. This is just one example of a scarcely understood, minor anti-depressive quality many antidepressants exhibit.

2. 5-HT2a is also blocked by Mirtazapine and plays an anti-psychotic role and reduces anxiety, paranoia, delusions and the apparent intensity of hallucinogens and other serotonergic drugs like MDMA (SWIM has experienced this with respect to Psilocybin, needing to ingest up to 5 grams just to have an unremarkbly short and boring trip, thanks a lot 5-HT2a antagonism!). This 5-HT2a blocking makes remeron a theoretically successful adjunct for Schizoid, dissociative and/or perceptual disorders.

3. 5-HT2b, 5-HT2c and 5-HT7 receptors are normally activated by serotonin and produce anxiety and regulate mood; Mirtazapine blocks these as well.

4. 5-HT3 receptor blocking by Mirtazapine reduces nausea and increases appetite. (anti-emetics that reduce nausea, diarhea and vomiting like "Odansetron" are 5-HT3 antagonists) Increased binding to 5-HT3 from increased synaptic serotonin due to SSRI/SNRI treatment seems to be the common cause of nausea and appetite problems associated with this antidepressants; Mirtazapine in this regard is considered a very POTENT anti-emetic.

5. Mirtazapine has a small affinity for the Norepinephrine transporter, which is probably clinically insignificant in the scope of its other actions; however, the Norepinephrine transporter is responsible for recycling about 10% of dopamine as well as it's own norepinephrine. This co-recycling is partially responsible for the efficacy of Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors, and could be assumed to play a small role in Mirtazapine's anti-depressive qualities.

6. It has not been specifically studied yet, but has been theorized that Mirtazapine may block 5-HT6 receptors to an extent like it's NASSA analogue Mianserin. Antagonization of 5-HT6 disinhibits Glutamate, Noraderenaline, Dopamine and Acetylcholine. Again, antagonization at this receptor would improve anxiety and depression through increased dopamine, glutamate and noradrenaline. Increased Acetylcholine through theoretical 5-HT6 blockade could be the partial cause of Mirtazapine noticeable cognitive improvement and nootropic effects (SWIMs memory ability has increased by several volumes since starting mirtazapine and can remember almost anything perfectly, even while being a stoner and a Klonopin user).

7. Mirtazapine is a Histamine 1 antagonist, leading to an overwhelmingly powerful initial sedation. The first weeks of therapy are very hazy and groggy and SWIM can attest that it helped him sleep more, deeper and loner than any Benzodiazepine or Z-drug (ambien, zaleplon etc) ever did. Histamine receptors down regulate and reduce sensitivity quickly, and users of Mirtazapine might find other anti-histamines like Diphenhydramine (benadryl) are less effective due to this sensitization; SWIM is barely effected by H1 Antagonists since starting Mirtazapine. In this respect Mirtazapine acts as an excellent sleep aid for the first few weeks/months, but over time appears to develop more stimulant like effects, especially as the dose is increased, which I will explain further down.

8. Mirtazapine's most important mechanism of action is that it antagonizes Alpha1, Alpha2a and Alpha2c adrenergic receptors; and may also inhibit Alpha1b adrenergic to an extent as well. In a normal brain, the adrenergic receptors inhibit neuronal serotonin firing.
8a. Since 5-HT1a isn't blocked at all, the disinhibition of serotonin by adrenergic antagonism increases synaptic levels and allows more activation at 5-HT1a receptors by the brains own endogenous serotonin. This makes Mirtazapine a functional "indirect agonist" for 5-HT1a, as it isn't actually activating the 5-HT1a directly, but is simply allowing more serotonin to available to activate it more frequently on its own.
8b. Increased 5-HT1a neuronal firing ALSO increase dopamine activity as well; explaining partially the mildly stimulating effects of SOME anti-depressants that don't act directly on dopamine. Still, this is only part of Mirtazapine's anti-depressant mechanism of action.

9. As mentioned before, Mirtazapine antagonizes the 5-HT2c receptor (especially at higher doses 45-90mg), which has been discovered to regulate and actually block dopamine and noradrenaline activity in many parts of the brain; especially the pleasure centers.
9a. In a "normal" unmedicated brain, serotonin that activates at the 5-HT2c site tells the brain to reduce dopamine production and release. Antagonism of the 5-HT2c serotonin receptor results in a disinhibition of that dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, ventral tegmental area and other parts of the mesolimbic and mesocorticol reward pathways. This leads Mirtazapine to produce more stimulant effects the higher the dosage used; especially after histamine receptors down regulate following a few weeks of daily administration. SWIM no longer takes his Remeron at night, but in the morning due to this exact reason. SWIM almost always gets a nice "head buzz" for a few hours after taking Remeron. The increased dopamine production/release in the reward pathways may help explain the mild euphoric properties; especially in high doses (90-120mg+).

----------------------------------------------

Now if you're still following all this (if you aren't it's okay, neuroscience is a magical and insane world) then these paragraphs are the part most critical to understand:

Taking into regard Amphetamine's Dopaminergic, Serotonergic, Adrenergic and Noradrenergic activity, SWIM theorizes that the dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin disinhibitions caused by Mirtazapine work in a synergistic way with each other. SWIM also believes Mirtazapine to be the perfect drug to "take the edge off" the anxiety amphetamine can produce. Here's why:

Amphetamine reverses the serotonin pump, releases dopamine and noradrenaline and inhibits the reuptake of dopamine as well. Without Mirtazapine's antagonization of many the aforementioned serotonin receptors, the extra serotonin from amphetamine is likely one of the guilty parties in the anxiety, paranoia and paradoxical effects some stim users experience. However, with Mirtazapine's extensive 5-HT antagonism, the extra serotonin summoned by amphetamine will have fewer serotonin receptors to bind to and theoretically instead be almost totally focused on the 5-HT1a receptor: reducing anxiety and increasing mood.
- Increased 5-HT1a activation, as I mentioned before, also increases dopamine throughout the brain. Amphetamine, working primarily through dopamine increases, would clearly benefit from this increase. Theoretical synergy once again.

Furthermore, the aforementioned blockade of 5-HT2c serotonin receptors disinhibits dopamine in the most important cerebral parts to us SWIMmers: The Mesolimbic dopamine pathway. The pleasure center baby! SWIM theorizes that this disinhibition allows amphetamine to not only have access to more stores of dopamine, but to allow it to release more and at a higher rate when it does open those depots.

SWIM could launch tangents into dozens of different topics on our emotional/mental perception and its basis in the mathematics of neurons, their receptors and neurotransmitters and how drugs effect those perceptions through chemical mediations... but thats a whole other post for the future! I digress.

SWIM apologizes for the length, but hope you all read it and maybe understood it. SWIM is interested to hear your thoughts Drugs-forum!"

Source: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132860

FYI the reason i responded to the suggestion of mirtazapine in this thread the first place was because i've been on both speed and mirtazapine together in the past (for around 2 months), i stuck to a low dose of both the whole time, as i said, nothing noticed on tolerance reduction but euphoria was consistent the whole time as was some agitation (not anxiety). I have never done mirtazapine by itself so i don't know how much that contributed.

FYI the reason i responded to the suggestion of mirtazapine in this thread the first place was because i've been on both speed and mirtazapine together in the past (for around 2 months), i stuck to a low dose of both the whole time, as i said, nothing noticed on tolerance reduction but euphoria was consistent the whole time as was some agitation (not anxiety). I have never done mirtazapine by itself so i don't know how much that contributed.

Thanks for the read, it was quite interesting. However, that still doesn't address the issues that you'll have with DAT and NET. Since Mirtazapine blocks those transporters, it's very likely that it would decrease the effect effects of an amphetamine because it wouldn't allow amphetamine to reverse the transporter like it normally does.

Last edited:
I'll have to dig up the source, but I know from experience that DRIs work much better after a DRA like amphetamines.

Good work.

I'll have to dig up the source, but I know from experience that DRIs work much better after a DRA like amphetamines.

Good work.

There's no need for a source on that one. Understanding how it works just requires some basic knowledge of pharmacology. I mean think about about it.

Taking a Dopamine Releasing Agent with a Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor would very obviously potenate each other.

Although, some DRI's excert their mechanism of action by block DAT which tends to weaken a DRA.

Bupropion for instance is a DRI because it blocks DAT which means it would probably decrease the effects of an amphetamine, however, it's subjective to people's personal opinions and may or may not potenate a DRA

^I mean in the sense of using a DRA to prime the DRI in a sense, not quite piggybacking the DRI onto the DRA.

Awesome thread! Do you think maybe taking tums half an hour after taking the amphetamine would increase its effectiveness, considering it usually takes about that long to kick in?

Constructive criticism does not necessarily revolve around nit picking at typos someone has made. It's sad to see such a fine thread turn into a flame war. That is to say, to the posters that know who they are, take your personal vendettas to PMs if you must be infantile enough to even do that.

If you want to offer truly constructive advice feel free, but be sure of the difference before posting. Lash out again, and it will, without doubt be considered abuse.

No more behavior in violation of the BLUA and BDD guidelines will be tolerated in this thread on either side. That is all.

Just an FYI - "Vyvance" is spelled Vyvanse with an s instead of a c. Just wanted to let you guys know in the event that a forum member stumbles upon this guide and isn't sure if these are two different versions of a similar drug. Great thread!

Just an FYI - "Vyvance" is spelled Vyvanse with an s instead of a c. Just wanted to let you guys know in the event that a forum member stumbles upon this guide and isn't sure if these are two different versions of a similar drug. Great thread!

Not a problem! I tend to type rather quickly and usually miss things like that. I'll fix it as soon as I get back on tomorrow ;)

Added additional information about Supplemental potentation. Added additional stimulant + stimulant potenation, and additional tolerance reducing agents.

Revision #6 - 15 October 2013 18:18 CST.

Nice guide. I would like to know if there's anything to this urinary PH story in relation to amphetamine metabolism. like, they say to take a lot of vitamin c during comedown.

Nice guide. I would like to know if there's anything to this urinary PH story in relation to amphetamine metabolism. like, they say to take a lot of vitamin c during comedown.

I've done no research into it, but I can say a few things.

Vitamin C is the biggest scam out there. There is no better definition of "Snake Oil" than Vitamin C. There have been no studies that prove it's effective at treating anything. Vitamin C has also, not been proven to boost immune system function. The studies have SUGGESTED that Vitamin C MIGHT boost immune function, but even if it does, it's affinity for such an action would probably be so low it would have no noticeable effects.

Urinary PH might have something to do with Amphetamine. However, I don't think it has anything to do with it's metabolism. More than likely, if your urine is highly acidic, it stands to reason that the rest of your body is going to be acidic. Amphetamine is not absorbed anywhere near as well in acidic conditions. The little that is absorbed is also excreted much quicker in higher acidic conditions.

If your urine has high acidity, try taking an alkalization agent (like calcium carbonate (Tums) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, alka seltzer). That should help lower overall PH of your stomach. I'm not sure if it would have any other actions around the body, however, there's no reason for me to believe it wouldn't lower overall PH of your body.

I apologies if that wasn't your question. The other way I can interpret your question is whether or not amphetamine actually makes your urine acidic? If that was the question; no I don't believe it does. I only know the metabolites of amphetamine off the top of my head. The metabolites of those metabolites I'm not aware of. However, I'm 99.99% sure that there's nothing to make us believe that amphetamine makes your urine acidic.

Haven't done the research yet, but what about using the non-narcotic ADHD med called Strattera?

Haven't done the research yet, but what about using the non-narcotic ADHD med called Strattera?

Strattera (generic name Atomoxetine) is a Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It's, therefore, still rather stimulating due to it's effects on Norepinephrine. Also, Atomoxetine does have some slight DAT affinity. Anyways, studies have proven it's effective at treating ADHD (it wouldn't have been approved by the FDA for this if it wasn't) and could definitely help with symptoms.

I don't believe it would make your urine acidic either. Technically, all drugs increase urine acidity, however, it really isn't something to be all that worried about. Was that your question? Or was this related to Strattera in another way?

Nice post.

re: Vit C - Anything that acidifys your system will slightly accelerate clearance of amphetamines (or opioids, and some other water-soluble drugs) by switching the nephron in your kidneys to excrete them faster. I tend to agree with Swampfox that most of the stuff you read about supplemental VitC is pure snake oil salesmanship. (In general, multivitamin supplements are a great way to produce some expensive urine, but have little health effect).

However taking high doses of Vit C will speed up the excretion of amphetamines and amphetamine metabolites from your body. This may be useful to know if you had some amphetamines within a window of 2 to 3 days ago, and are worried about an impending urine drug screen. (The converse info may also be useful- if you took amphets or opioids sometime between 2 and 3 days ago, and are facing a urine test, DON"T take TUMS, urinary alkalisers or similar products, as these will slightly slow down the excretion of these drugs and their metabolites).

Forced acidic diuresis of amphetamines is sometimes used medically in the context of emergency department presentations involving acute amphetamine toxicity, typically using an agent such as ammonium chloride. I don't recommend trying this at home though. If you have taken a dose of amphetamine that is concerning you Vit C is unlikely to make much difference.

Many regular methamphetamine users regulate their level of arousal with cannabis. I wouldn't advise you start smoking pot if you don't already, but cannabinoids down regulate dopamine.

re: reducing tolerance, nothing really beats taking a break from amphetamines for a bit. Some of the reduced effects experienced from very regular use are due to neuro-adaption and tolerance (which may take a considerable period of abstinence to normalise), but some are simply due to physical exhaustion and depletion of mono-amine stores. A week of good rest, hydration, and healthy food to recharge your stores can actually make a world of difference.

The best harm reduction advice for reducing your tolerance is probably to try and avoid escalating it too high in the first place- "less is more" because using lower doses less frequently makes amphetamines much more rewarding.
People who use less often than once a week report significantly less problems with physical and mental health than people who use once a week or more frequently. Many people using street amphetamines take quite large doses. I'll post some more on this in a moment.

Harm Reduction advice for people who use Methamphetamine, from "Yooz" magazine (published by WASUA in Western Australia);

<<< Everything you ever wanted to know about Methamphetamine, (but were too paranoid to ask…)

Methamphetamine is the active ingredient in speed powder, freebase (base or paste), and crystal meth (rock or ice). It is basically a stronger, longer acting version of the dexamphetamine molecule, (dexies). It’s not just in speed- approximately 50% of the Ecstasy pills sold in Australia contain no MDMA, (XTC), but are actually methamphetamine pills.

Meth is a potent psychostimulant, meaning that small amounts have a powerful stimulating effect on your nervous system. The drug has a long-half-life, (about 12 hours), and can be detected in your body fluids for 3 to 4 days. The noticeable effects of methamphetamine tend to wear off long before your blood levels start to drop. This means that bingeing on methamphetamine can lead to increasingly toxic blood levels, even though you don’t feel like you’re “revving” and even if the effects don’t feel as great as the first shot did.

According to analysis of police seizures, the strongest crystal meth is 75-80% pure methamphetamine. Ice or crystal this pure is active in really small amounts- ¼ to ½ a point (25-50mg) is an effective I.V. dose. However, small deals of crystal are often “cut” with Epsom salts, rock salt, or MSM. A 100mg “point” bag you buy might be “pure” (about 85%), or it might be 15mg of speed and 85% MSM. This makes it much harder to judge how much actual speed is in any dose you buy, and also much easier to accidentally take more than you need...

Obviously people take speed to feel good. But if you take too much in one go, or take it too frequently, speed can make you feel pretty bad. Because of the high potency of crystal meth, and its long life in the body, it’s much easier to take too much by accident than with base or powder speed. It’s also much more “habit-forming”.

Most people find that once their body becomes accustomed to taking methamphetamine regularly, they feel extremely tired, have little enthusiasm, and get cranky easily when they go without speed. Over the last several years, problems with speed dependence (addiction), speed overdose, and methamphetamine-induced psychosis have become increasingly common in WA.

What is “speed-psychosis”?
Psychosis can occur when the brain is over-stimulated or when it is extremely exhausted. To understand how meth can cause this we need to look at how amphetamines work. A small dose of speed makes your brain work faster and more efficiently. That’s one of the reasons why it’s a performance enhancing drug. However a large dose can make your brain work too fast. This definitely doesn’t enhance performance.

When people are heavily intoxicated with speed they can “loop out”. If this happens to you, your brain cannot process information normally. You may perceive things or situations inaccurately, you may become obsessed with one subject of conversation, or you may leap to conclusions or think things are true that you normally wouldn’t.

People in this state may develop odd beliefs or complex conspiracy theories, think strangers are persecuting them, or spend hours concentrating intensely on a repetitive task. They may bore their friends by telling the same stories over and over, or may be fearful or act more aggressively than usual. These are common side-effects of heavy speed use. They happen because your brain is over-stimulated, or because your brain is exhausted.

In large doses, or if used for prolonged periods of time, methamphetamine can cause hallucinations, delusions (false beliefs), and extreme paranoia. This is true methamphetamine-psychosis. Someone suffering from a methamphetamine-induced psychosis behaves in a very similar way to someone experiencing a psychotic episode caused by schizophrenia. Unlike schizophrenia however, methamphetamine psychosis usually gets better once the speed starts to wear off. Most people start to recover within 48 hours, although serious cases, especially if caused by long-term heavy use, can take a few weeks or longer to settle down. Someone with a previously undetected psychotic disorder may experience their first episode as a result of amphetamine use, and these people are far more likely to experience psychosis again if they use amphetamines.

Emergency departments are reporting that methamphetamine psychosis is becoming an increasingly common problem. Treatment for psychosis usually consists of a strong sedative (diazepam or midazolam) or an antipsychotic injection. Because the symptoms of methamphetamine psychosis closely resemble a psychotic mental illness, Doctors may want to keep the patient in hospital for observation overnight, or refer them to Mental Health services for assessment.

Any other bad news?
In addition to stimulating your brain, stimulants such as methamphetamine rev your body up. Speed in functional doses keeps you awake and increases endurance, by releasing adrenalin and stimulating the body’s internal emergency system, (the “fight-or-flight” response). This is the other way in which amphetamines can enhance performance. However higher doses can release too much adrenalin. This sometimes dangerously over-stimulates the heart, or can precipitate a stroke.

More commonly, over-revving can cause intense panic attacks. Too much adrenalin makes you sweat, makes your heart race, your mouth dry, and makes you feel sick in the stomach. It can also cause you to over-react to any stress, or to speak to other people more aggressively than you think you are. If you experience these sorts of effects often, using smaller doses may be worth trying.

A toxic dose of amphetamine typically causes vomiting and an intense headache, sometimes accompanied by diahorrea. If someone shows these symptoms straight after injecting meth, it may be a “dirty hit” or it may mean they’ve had way too much. If it is a dirty hit, the symptoms will usually wear off within an hour or so. If the symptoms continue, the person is probably suffering toxicity (or “overdose”). Whether it is a “dirty hit” or toxicity, injecting more speed will not make things better and can make it a lot worse. Be aware that headache may be one of the symptoms of stroke, and also that if vomiting continues for a long time it can cause dangerous dehydration.

Using regularly reduces the physical effects of speed, due in part to tolerance, but mainly because it burns up your body’s reserves of energy and vitamins, (by making your body work harder while making you eat and sleep less). Some of the psychological symptoms discussed above can be caused by exhaustion, dehydration and malnutrition. If you are “fried” it may be that you have starved your brain for so long that it just can’t work properly. If you have lots of problems with concentration and memory, or persistent skin infections, or sores that take ages to heal, this may indicate that you are badly malnourished and over-tired and it might be a good idea to have break from speed, get plenty of rest and eat well for a couple of weeks.

How can you tell if someone is “at risk of psychosis”?
An acute psychotic episode can start suddenly out-of-the-blue, for example after taking a single dose of methamphetamine, (especially if it’s a larger amount than usual). However, low-level signs of psychosis can also appear slowly over a long period of use and then flare up as acute psychosis in response to things like emotional stress or conflict. Some of these early warning signs are pretty commonly experienced by people who take speed regularly but, if these symptoms cause you or people around you problems, and especially if they worsen, then it might be an idea to do something about it. Some of these early warning signs might include: difficulty concentrating, difficulty thinking clearly or remembering, concentrating obsessively on one activity for a long time, depression, anxiety, mood swings, irritability, and outbursts of anger.

How much is too much?
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, or feel exhausted and/or vague all the time, it may be because you are taking too much whiz, taking it too often, or both. If you use speed regularly, remember that the energy and enthusiasm you get from it doesn’t come out of the crystal, it comes out of your body. If there are no reserves left in your body, more speed won’t give you much of a rush and often just makes you feel awake but incredibly vague.

The US Military has tested all sorts of performance-enhancing drugs. Their research showed that methamphetamine greatly increased stamina and alertness, and reduced response time and fatigue. However, after three days on regular doses of meth, most test subjects were more stimulated by a single dose of caffeine than by more speed. These were fit young soldiers, but their brains and bodies had simply run out of fuel. If you are very fried, more speed doesn’t usually help that much. Water, food and rest are needed to relieve the symptoms, and a short break from the speed will not only help rebuild your reserves, but also usually makes your next shot a lot more rewarding.

Tips for making these problems less likely.
• If you use crystal meth, try using the smallest amount you can – don’t underestimate how strong it is. If you use regularly, try to use a consistent dose. If you let your level of use escalate, you will quickly develop a tolerance to the effects. This means you can still be frying your brain, but not really feel like you’re speeding at all.
• Try to find a reliable, consistent source. If the gear is different, or comes from someone you don’t know that well, try a tiny tester before you have the whole deal.
• If you have been "caning it" for a while, and a dose that would normally give you a rush has little or no effect, you have probably run your reserves down too far. Taking larger doses won’t make you feel better. It will just make you fry for longer. Take a break. Just one good meal and one nights rest can make a huge difference.
• If you are experiencing a racing pulse, super dry mouth, upset stomach or you are sweating heavily under the arms, you may have had a little too much. People often vomit or dry-retch after a shot that’s a bit too big. Don’t take more on top of a dose that affects you like this. Try taking a smaller amount next time.
• Your environment is important. Try to use speed in a setting where it’s fun, not stressful. You are much less likely to have psychological problems if you use with other people, or have cool people to hang out with while you are speeding. You are much more likely to have problems if you spend hours speeding or coming down all on your lone-some.
• If you have been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder, and particularly if you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, you will probably find that methamphetamine makes an episode more likely, and makes your symptoms worse. You are probably best advised not to take speed.
• If you use regularly, look after your body. Make sure you eat something every day. Ideally, try to eat some fresh fruit and vegetables every day. These are the raw materials your body needs. Pay attention to how much water you drink. Even if you don’t always sleep, make sure you spend some time resting every night. You wouldn't try to run a marathon if you were dehydrated and hadn't eaten anything or slept for three days. Expecting amphetamines to make you feel great in the same circumstances is just as silly.

What can you do if you start to experience a panic attack or psychosis?
• Remind yourself that you are on speed, and may be experiencing bizarre or exaggerated thoughts. Try not to react too strongly.
• Breathe evenly and deeply and try to remain calm. Concentrating on controlling your breathing often helps overcome anxiety and can slow a racing heartbeat.
• Try not to get into an argument while revving or coming down. You may say or do something you will regret later. This is especially important for couples who use together. Remind yourself that the way you feel is a side-effect of the drug, and the drug will wear off.
• If you know people who are safe and won’t freak out at you looping, go find them. If you are at a venue, find the “chill-out” space.

What can you do if someone with you experiences psychosis?
• Stay calm! Methamphetamine-induced psychosis is an extremely frightening experience in which a person becomes removed from reality. Someone experiencing psychosis doesn’t usually realise what is happening. They may be talking nonsense, and they may react to things, or even talk to people, who aren’t there. Telling them they are imagining things won’t help. Because they are likely to panic, people experiencing psychosis can become extremely frightened, irrational, aggressive, and sometimes violent. How you react will affect how the person behaves.
• Stay cool! When a person is experiencing acute psychosis, they may be fixed in their beliefs. Try not to get into a lengthy argument, but listen to them to get an understanding of the emotions they are experiencing. You listening without freaking out will often calm the person down heaps. If possible, offer them some water, juice, or food. This often helps.
• Avoid confrontational situations – for example sit beside the person instead of in front of them. If there are people around who are making things worse, ask them to leave you alone or move yourself and the person away from them.
• Talk in a clear, simple manner and repeat yourself if you need to.
• Re-assure the person. Don't contradict anything that sounds delusional, and don't contribute to delusional content either- just reassure the person that what ever they believe is happening, they are safe now with you.
• Limit the amount of stimulation – eg: keep the number of people to a minimum and reduce the surrounding noise. If the person is in a club or on the street, try to move to a calmer, safer environment. If you are at someone’s house, turn off the television, (especially if the person is having a conversation with it).
• If these steps have calmed the person down, but they are still obviously speeding, don’t leave them alone any longer than is necessary. It may only take a few minutes alone for them to wind themselves back up again.
• If you are concerned about anyone’s safety, or are worried that the person is at serious risk, call an ambulance. Be aware that police will usually attend incidnets of "psychostimulant toxicity", but only to ensure the safety of paramedics, and police may also transport the person to hospital. Be aware that the person will probably have to spend 24 hours at the hospital. Serious cases will probably be taken to the nearest mental health clinic or psychiatric hospital. Most people admitted to the psychiatric hospital with methamphetamine-induced psychosis are released within two weeks.

Finally, if you, or one of your mates, are experiencing problems associated with speed use, and you want some user-friendly advice, give WASUA a call. If you decide to stop taking speed, or if you just want to reduce your use or take a break for a while, WASUA can help with advice. If changing your drug use proves difficult, WASUA can refer you to other services that may be able to help.

Paul Dessauer, Chris Cruikshank,
Outreach Coordinator, WASUA Pharmacology, UWA >>>>

The authors have given permission for this article to be reproduced and distributed as long as they are credited as authors, if anyone finds this resource useful.

Outrigger.

Would you recommend the long-term use of NMDA antagonists like memantine, even when not taking stims?
My simplistic reasoning is like this: If you keep blocking the NMDA receptors, the neurons will upregulate them to return to a new baseline. But if you then take stims you are even more susceptible to excitotoxicity.
(may not apply to memantine in particular, because I've read that it apparently does not block the channel during normal low-level functioning, only specifically during the toxic high acitvation periods)

Oral Meth/Ice: Before, During or After

Awesome thread! Do you think maybe taking tums half an hour after taking the amphetamine would increase its effectiveness, considering it usually takes about that long to kick in?

SWIM wonders also on something similar. SWIM has ADHD and street meth/ice has saved him from a suicidal depression. So for some days SWIM will be taking one oral dose in the morning of some mgs disolved in water, just as soon the alarm rings. Then SWIM will wait for the magic. Do you think adding the calcium carbonate or the sodium bicarbonate -at the same time- would help, or would actually be counterproductive? Also your question goes beyond, you ask if the alkaline agent can work -after- the ingestion. Maybe they should be taken with a separation of 20 minutes?