• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

FAQ: Antidepressants and Recreational Drugs (long!)

Absolutely awesome info, but I have a question. I was under the impression that Effexor was an SSRI. If not, am I correct in assuming that I still won't roll on Effexor?

Effexor is not an SSRI, because by definition SSRIS (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) ONLY inhibit the reuptake of serotonin. Effexor also inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine, which SSRIs do not significantly do. Thus, Effexor is an SNRI (serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) and has properties of SSRIs as well as its own norepinephrine properties.
Because Effexor strongly inhibits the reuptake of serotonin, just like SSRIs do, it is not possible to roll on Effexor.

I have been searching everywhere for some info on Wellbutrin and E....thank you for putting this information out there!!!

Anyone have first hand knowledgeable experience?

HETEROCYCLICS
Amoxapine
Mechanism of Action
Amoxapine is a weak 5HT inhibitor and significantly inhibits reuptake NE. It is also a DA receptor antagonist. This drug increases the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain (much like tricyclics) and decreases dopamine levels – thus amoxapine can act as an antipsychotic (through its effects on dopamine) as well as an antidepressant.
Common Side Effects
Similar to the TCAs/tricyclics – see above.
Metabolism
Amoxapine is metabolized in the liver by the CYP2D6 enzyme.
Recreational Drug Interactions
Pretty much identical to the drug interactions for the tricyclics/TCAs – see above.
Bupropion
Mechanism of Action
Bupropion’s mechanism of action is not fully understood, but current information indicates that it is a NE and DA reuptake inhibitor, and also acts as a weak 5HT reuptake inhibitor.
Common Side Effects
Dizziness, insomnia, dry mouth, sweating, tremor, aggravation of psychosis, potential for seizures at high doses. May increase libido, especially in women.
Metabolism
Several different CYP enzymes (i.e., CYP2B6, 3A4, 2A6, 2E1, and 1A2) can mediate the biotransformation of bupropion. Primarily metabolized by CYP2B6. Inihibits the enzyme CYP2D6.
Recreational Drug Interactions

MDMA/Ecstasy (includes MDA, MDEA etc): There is a lot of controversy about rolling on bupropion. Some people (especially people who have bipolar) find that they can roll normally. Some people find that they roll slightly less hard than normally. Some people find that they only roll a little bit. In general, most people find that they can still roll, but not quite as hard, and so they often need to take more MDMA than usual. However, until you know how MDMA affects you personally while you are on bupropion, take your normal dose of MDMA. If you are at all prone to seizures, you should avoid combining bupropion and MDMA as you are more likely to suffer a seizure with this combination.

Very informative, thank you, well done.

In case you use herbal remedies for depression, as I often do instead of pharmaceuticals, here are some common ones:

St Johs Wort (Hypericum perforatum) contains hypericin and hyperforin which act somewhat like TCAs, and inhibits the reuptake of seotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, GABA, and glutamate.
Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) contains mesembrine, which acts as an SSRI.
Syrian Rue (Peganum harmala), and Ayahuasca Vine (Banisteriopsis caapi) contain harmine and harmaline, potent MAOIs, they are usually used in ayahuasca preparations, are illegal in many countries, and generally not reccomended by mainstream herbalists for depression.
Passionflower, (Passiflora spp.) contains small amounts of the MAOI, harmine, as well as apigenin, a mild sedative, found also in chamomile.
Griffonia seed, (Griffonia simplicifolia) contains 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), a precursor to serotonin, and can be dangerous if mixed with SSRIs in large amounts.

Hope this helps. :)

I was just prescribed to Paxil, but I only took one today. If I stop can I roll normally next week?

Been using 5-HTP at night for a couple weeks now, I want to roll this weekend, if I stop taking it today (Monday), will the 5-HTP still dull the roll at all?

Anyone with experience?

I'm not sure about the 5-HTP, I would guess that it wouldn't effect it too much, and may even make the E stronger, but again I'm not sure. St.Johns Wort will dull a roll though.

5-HTPO talen with E definitely dulls the experience for most people. There;s been a few people say its made it stronger in a weird way, but most people say it dulls it and to leave it for the come down of multiple pills.

So you're saying I can take SSRI and heroin at a time and slightly weaker effects are the only disadvantage?
Well, a 1.2g of codeine enhaced by benzos didn't do shit after I had taken only one 20mg paroxetine pill... Some other ppl also say they can't get high while taking SSRI, so I'm afraid opiates and SSRI don't go together Anyone found/done a larger research on combinig SSRI with opiates?
Besides reportedly taking opiates on SSRI makes your treatment a joke.

Last edited:
Interesting, I am reminded of tramadol, yes it is an opiate, but also an SSRI and gabanergic. It is quite non euphoric, though it still relieves pain. Perhaps such will be the way of the opiates of the future, since getting high is supposedly such a mortal sin in the eye's of our society.

please people answer my question, this faq says it's ok to take opiates on SSRI but I really do have objections, haven't found any larger research on the topic

Didnt Anna Nicole and her son die from methadone and SSRI combos?

mulberryman said:
Interesting, I am reminded of tramadol, yes it is an opiate, but also an SSRI and gabanergic. It is quite non euphoric, though it still relieves pain. Perhaps such will be the way of the opiates of the future, since getting high is supposedly such a mortal sin in the eye's of our society.

Advice, don't take tramadol with an SSRI, I've heard it can cause serotonin syndrome.

You want to know why your prozac isn't doing shit? Because your taking fucking drugs and whatever else it is your doing. You're aware a fucking pill is not a cure all.

This thread is helpful. It's a bit of information. Could better advice be given by simply saying: It's better to allow your brain to stabilize at baseline before attempting to alter it's chemistry anymore than it's already needing to go through. If you want to say ...what about prozac, to be a smartass...I will say...what do you think has more chanceof helping you in the long run? Chea. I hope you answer right. If not, you can kiss your chances of stabilizing away. Why? The fucking pill does nothing unless you want to change. It's not a pill like E that will fix everything for a short time. It will fix things with a conscience effort over time, for a longer period of time. Where it comes to the point that you see things in an entirely new light than when you were depressed. You essentially re-learn how to live. This is the real medicational therapy.

If you're taking drugs yet want to get better, you're doing nothing. Stop taking the SSRI, you mind as well.
Seriously. In my case, as well as many people I've known in similiar situation--sober, clear headed time is need to evaluate your position.

Take it or leave it. It's surely better then when I met you cursing, saying "Your prozac doesn't do shit when you're4 on pills." Goodluck. Hope you have common sense.

Excellent thread.

Could someone please add in info for both Escitalopram (Lexapro, Lexaprin, Cipralex, Sipralexa, Entact and Seroplex), Citalopram (Celexa), and all of the newer SSRIs that are out?

Hi, great post,

Just wondering though, what class of anti-depressant does Lexapro/Esipram fit into? That is the brand name, the chemical name appears to be Escitalopram

Thanks

rolls said:
Advice, don't take tramadol with an SSRI, I've heard it can cause serotonin syndrome.

As I understand, tramadol is an SSRI, so naturally you might not want to take it with other SSRI's.