• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Extremely interesting questions for THOSE WITH 5+ YEARS PSYCHEDELICS EXP.

I'm 43, too, and still very childish (tho people can't believe I'm that old - REALLY).

I'm not very experienced with "true" psychedelics, since they trigger too easily anxiety for me. But I've taken quite a large amount of methylone during last years - almost every week and often 2-3 times a week.

Don't know are there any long term negative side effects, but there are absolutely some positive changes. When alcohol have made me feel tense and frustrated (also in the long term time scale), m-1 have made me feel the opposite way.

J. Alfred Prufrock said:
The tacit assumption appears to be that one cannot use psychedelics in moderation and be successful in school and technical careers. I disagree with that assumption.

The thing is I'd been thinking about it for the last few months and I feel as though I've gotten all I can out of LSD at the moment. There's not a lot of point in me using it at the moment and I for one would feel more productive doing my homework in the 12+ hours I'd normally spend on the psychedelic experience.

You're right in that it is an assumption. However, I have better things to do at the moment than take drugs.

a)
do any of you take psychedelic drugs for reasons I haven't listed, and if so, WHY? ie besides "personal growth" or "learning lessons"

Yeah, those, and basically for inspiration. Earlier, I used to take them to push the limits of my mind. And that I did, and learned a lot about the mind that has later proven completely legitimate. Not in a spiritual or very metaphysical sense (or otherwise inexact sense, but rather in what you might call a rational way).

b)
of those who have stopped taking psychedelics, why? due to questioning their purpose like me right now, or something else?

I haven't quite stopped - in fact, about five months ago, I had LSD and Ayahuasca. But before that, I had spent a year without psychedelics (or weed or alcohol). You could say I've 'stopped' when you compare me with the wild kids who think it's reasonable to trip many times a month, but I do suppose I'll be using psychedelics this year. So, why stop? It's rather simple, if you take these drugs for a purpose, you may sometimes actually reach that purpose, making further dosing unnecessary. Why start and stop periodically? Well, again, to pursue some kind of purpose (and generally, to have caution), you will want to have digestive periods, and not 'binge' your brains out.

c) and d): I'm in the middle of my 20's, and have used psychedelics for over 5 years like the thread topic suggests.

e)

Looking back I have to wonder if I ever did truly get anything out of them.

You say weren't trying to "get" anything, but of course, you still have the experiences. Thus it's not anyway late to think about them in a new light, but intention could have brought you on different paths back then! But now, I've though about what you discuss as "getting something out of tripping". I now came up with a rather unsophisticated metaphor, but I think I'll use it:

It's pretty well established that getting drunk helps you, well, to 'get laid'. But, drinking beer alone in your home won't do it: You'll have to head out and seek the companion yourself as well. (Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to come up with an archaic and more beautiful example :) But so, this use of a catalyst must involve active participation, if a goal is to be reached! It is very much the same, if you intend to pursue an inner voice in you - like to listen to your heart - or something like that on psychedelics. It may happen spontaneously, but the realizations may not quite come through and will decay in time, unless you grasp them. Or, like it's very probable, nothing will ever come out of it. That's possible as well. Other than an occasional good time and a visual display. That's quite OK in my opinion as well - perhaps just a waste of neurological and rare chemical potential, if some people suck a country dry of the materials and sort of do nothing with them. But, who am I to say something like that. That's just an impression I sometimes have.

So, what is there to be attained, in optimal conditions?
Facilitation of spiritual practice I won't discuss now, and it's a lenghty topic of its own, but consider it mentioned anyway. Cognitive inspiration. I remember that from when I was 17 year-old kid, and we got Marijuana. I began to find that it made unaswered questions seem more intriguing, thus inspiring me to look into natural sciences and such. So, all the 'work' for a benefit from material use doesn't have to take place under the influence (It'd be very hard if it did). Sometimes psychedelics have had a very strong reductionist effect, in that people's egocentric and arbitrary categories and selective preferences have ceased to ne relevant. This mode of though, in general, is less subjective and more honest, if you continue to pursue and evaluate it systematically - instead of pushing it away as a quirk. So, more perspective, ie. different thoughts, more material. More possible configurations of pre-existing thoughts - all of which are logical consequences of having a potent neurological agent as an additive in your diet ;).
Last time I took acid, it was as simple as having realizations about interior design of my apartment and noticing some neglected areas in my bodily care and fitness. (sore muscles, bad ergonomy and so on). All those suddenly became painfully apparent. Small dose, medium-sized ideas. Psychedelic, revealing the mind. It really is what they do, and provided that you accept it, you can use it on many areas of life.

What a crock of shit. Getting drunk only helps a person “get laid” if the person they are trying to ‘lay’ is also drunk.

There is nothing at all attractive about drunkenness. This is not just my opinion either. The slurring of speech, the stupored look, the sweaty and flushed faces, and that obnoxious loosening of inhibitions, which causes men to make complete asses of themselves by doing things such as yelling at women in a crude attempt to mount….yeah that is very sexy.

Shakespeare said it best when he stated (of drinking) that, “It provokes desire, but takes away performance.”

There is simply nothing at all attractive about drunkenness.

a) yes. recreation.

c) i don't know if i'm a kid at 19, but i take psychs to have fun. mental changes and realizations are awesome, but not my intent on taking them.

e) yes. i slowed down my weed habit after my first mushroom trip.

I agree with you MGS, but I think he was using it as an analogy, not trying to say it was attractive.

Let's restart prohibition. Woo! =D

After all, it's working SO well for everything else.

Last edited:
That would be a crime! No adult should be prohibited from putting toxic poisons such as alcohol in their body. You (speaking to drinkers out there) may be disgusting in my eyes, but I support your right to disgrace yourself...so long as you don't drive. :)

I'm 28 and ostensibly take psychedelics for "recreation" --I intend to keep taking them for a long time. I'm not too involved with anything spiritual or deep, at least not intentionally ;)

The good: Tripping keeps me seeing the humour in the world, has a positive effect on my relationship (keeps it fresh and new, gives us time to just enjoy each other). It also makes me think a lot about wierd interesting stuff, and keeps me feeling creative, which is good for my work (I'm an academic)

The bad: I have a terrible memory (but this could be genetic, as my mum also can't remember things and she's no tripper). Sometimes I can't relate to people who haven't tripped as much as I have. I have a difficult time surpressing my personality when I have to be more neutral/professional. Basically, I'm way too enthusiastic or spontaneous or empathetic, etcetera out in the world and sometimes other poeople get confused, which is not really such a bad thing, because it keeps away phony, close-minded people.
Still, I get nervous about having to "perform" normativity at, for example, university functions or job interviews. I usually do okay, though, so it's probably more in my mind than anything else.

I should probably add that I didn't start taking psychedelic for enlightenment and personal growth, nor do I go into them expecting it at this point. I took mushrooms the first time because I thought it would be cool and fun, but I just so happened to have the most intense spiritual experience of my life and from then my trips have gravitated towards the spiritual/instructional path. I just sort of happened, and every time I've taken a psychedelic trying to escape (as one would do with other kinds of drugs) or for pure recreation, I end up having a difficult experience. Don't get me wrong, I find great pleasure and fun in my experiences (usually), but there's always something else there to ponder and later integrate.

26 years experience...

I will try to answer the best I can.

jimmyHIP said:
Hey guys,

a) do any of you take psychedelic drugs for reasons I haven't listed, and if so, WHY? ie besides "personal growth" or "learning lessons"

I have always been in it for the inner journey and to see things in a different light. I used heroic doses of LSD to delve into the woodgrain of life and to find my place in the universe. I believe I have been sucessful on both fronts.

b) of those who have stopped taking psychedelics, why? due to questioning their purpose like me right now, or something else?

I stopped more or less due to the fact that I had no connections and didn't go to shows anymore. Don't trust anyone over thirty! I think it has been 9 or 10 years since I last saw any LSD. I also have married and have two children now. I worry about how I will parent them concerning drugs. I have in the last year aquired mushrooms and taken them on a couple of occasions using threshold doses. I never really felt 'at home' on mushrooms though...I have always questioned their ability to give clairity. Too much emotional garbage surfaces and picks at my mind.
c) this is for the KIDS here, I want to know why YOU take psychedelics and what you think they POSSIBLY have to offer you.

Psychedelic drugs have the power to allow you to look at even the most mundane with awe. They allow one to view ones self in an unselfish way.
Psychedelic drugs also have the power to deal a crushing defeat to the psyche of the unprepared.

d) for anyone over 30 years old, do you STILL take psychedelics? have you grown out of it? special occasions? and if so, why?

I long for the LSD experience. I have some psilocybin but I am anxiety ridden about taking them. I usually end up feeling like I've poisoned myself. I also tend, these days, to have purely psychedelic trips with little or no visual component. I have only had excellent results with LSD -not to say I haven't seen friends have horror trips in front of my dilated eyes -and once in front of my parents eyes!
e) can you attribute ANYTHING, be it positive or negative, to your use of psychedelic drugs in particular? Would you be the same or different if you'd never done these drugs? Then, what makes you think that, for whatever reason?

I have only had positive results. As they say "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." I look at the world and I see the psychedelic in everything. I see the pattern. I see the underlying tinge of evil sometimes.
I appreciate the mundane and the peaceful times. I believe everyone should have two lives, one in which you do psychedelics and one in which you don't.
I am terrified of my children risking everything (my irrational fear) trying some newfangled psychedelic...under the right circumstances I would be interested in a psychedelic rights of passage ceremony. My wife would then kill me.

Thanks !

jHIP

The OP's question is something I've given a lot of thought to.

In the end, the answer is really a personal answer. The only answer comes from within yourself. Look, and the answer will come. I found mine, and it's that hallucinogens make my time in the world more enjoyable. They bring me in to the cosmic joke. Thats why I take em.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That said, I just came upon this passage which I find relevant to the issue at hand:

He had read much of things as they are, and talked with too many people. Well-meaning philosophers had taught him to look into the logical relations of things, and analyse the processes which shaped his thoughts and fancies. Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other. Custom had dinned into his ears a superstitious reverence for that which tangibly and physically exists, and had made him secretly ashamed to dwell in visions. Wise men told him his simple fancies were inane and childish, and even more absurd because their actors persist in fancying them full of meaning and purpose as the blind cosmos grinds aimlessly on from nothing to something and from something back to nothing again, neither heeding nor knowing the wishes or existence of the minds that flicker for a second now and then in the darkness.

They had chained him down to things that are, and had then explained the workings of those things till mystery had gone out of the world. When he complained, and longed to escape into twilight realms where magic moulded all the little vivid fragments and prized associations of his mind into vistas of breathless expectancy and unquenchable delight, they turned him instead toward the new-found prodigies of science, bidding him find wonder in the atom's vortex and mystery in the sky's dimensions. And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation.

So Carter had tried to do as others did, and pretended that the common events and emotions of earthy minds were more important than the fantasies of rare and delicate souls. He did not dissent when they told him that the animal pain of a stuck pig or dyspeptic ploughman in real life is a greater thing than the peerless beauty of Narath with its hundred carven gates and domes of chalcedony, which he dimly remembered from his dreams; and under their guidance he cultivated a painstaking sense of pity and tragedy.

Once in a while, though, he could not help seeing how shallow, fickle, and meaningless all human aspirations are, and how emptily our real impulses contrast with those pompous ideals we profess to hold. Then he would have recourse to the polite laughter they had taught him to use against the extravagance and artificiality of dreams; for he saw that the daily life of our world is every inch as extravagant and artificial, and far less worthy of respect because of its poverty in beauty and its silly reluctance to admit its own lack of reason and purpose. In this way he became a kind of humorist, for he did not see that even humour is empty in a mindless universe devoid of any true standard of consistency or inconsistency.

(lovecraft) (I find the mysteries of atoms fully satisfying tho)

Last edited:
After rethinking it a bit...it's just like mountain said. If I ever want to quit (a big if), then I will having reached a goal that I was aiming for. I, personally, have no real "goal" for psychedelic use...of course, the usual, the mind expansion, the extended versions of thought, but like I posted earlier, I think it's funny as shit to just watch the confines of reality around me just drip to the ground (both in metaphor and reality). It's a supremely powerful experience that no one who has truly "felt" it can understand. When I'm done, I'll be done. I thought for the last 3 years that I was through with DXM, but I tried it a couple times in low doses lately and noticed that it's not quite as terrifying as it was back then when I was eating DXM every day. I thought it was a truly mind-pushing, hardcore drug then, and I still do now. Just goes to show that what I once thought was true, I just thought.

One of the main reasons i do psychedelics is to hear earth's message. Mainly obviously with ethnobotanicals but due to my interest in nature my LSD experiences have become quite nature-involved. Though I can't feel the message of the drug inside me (albite the maddness, thought exploration, ego loss and lessons learned). With mushrooms and mescaline I can vividly tell the difference between the message of my surrounds and what's inside me.

Like a bunch of others, I've only seen positive effects. It took me a few trips to get used to the whole psychedelic flow of things, but after a little experience I usually feel quite comfortable tripping. On an eighth of shrooms, 2 hits of most acid, or ~400 mg. mescaline my mind feels clearer than when I'm sober. I can feel the opportunity for this effect to be enhanced when taking higher doses, but since I haven't done those enough yet my mind gets somewhat scrambled. Due to high dose effects' obvious similarity to lower dose trips, which originally scrambled my mind (when frying i could only lay in a stupor), but once getting used to (I have no problem acting 'normal' through), I am confident that at some point soon enough I'll feel even more heightened on these.

One of my main reasons for tripping is not only for mainly all the stuff you guys mentioned excexcept getting fucked up, is for the after effect on my thoughts. While I get a lot from the peak, I can feel any hallucinogen for over a week (very minimal after effects) because when you do any mind-alterant it takes around a week for your neurotransmitters to go back to regular firing. I can write and draw better through this and depending on the trip I usually feel more socially apt as well.

I've only been tripping regularly for a year and a half, and the change in my thoughts is so dramatic that I can't even fathom how much better i'll feel if i keep doing the drugs right (in my opinion).

Oh, and as you were saying about seeing tracers in the dark. I basically feel like I'm tripping when I'm not, although I have and everyone always does. I mean our neurotransmitters are always firing, once you're used to strong firing it's just easy to notice how trippy reality is. I get pretty fat tracers on lights, even in the day (though nothing like the dark), and can see designs on everything if I pay attention, it's quite noticable in the dark and in the sky though. When I noticed this stuff I was unsure at first, but after pondering on it for a while it makes sense, I mean the designs are a visual of your sub-conscious though, our sub-consciouses are always thinking, so if we get in touch with our sub-consciouses the designs become more vivid. The tracers are just a retinal imprint, when you're tripping your brain is going so fast that it can vividly notice the movement and amplify your perception of the imprint lights leave. I remember seeing retinal imprints and stuff as a kid, so I know it's not just the drugs. A similar effect is the 'psychedelicization' of weed once one starts tripping. I've heard others mention it, but for me it's strikingly obvious that weed is a trip now, even if I haven't just done a psychedelic a few days before. So now I learn a bunch of shit from weed all the same, ah, you gotta love life.

Oh yeah, and as of now, I feel healthier and happier than ever and plan to trip til I die.

gher said:
The thing is I'd been thinking about it for the last few months and I feel as though I've gotten all I can out of LSD at the moment. There's not a lot of point in me using it at the moment and I for one would feel more productive doing my homework in the 12+ hours I'd normally spend on the psychedelic experience.

You're right in that it is an assumption. However, I have better things to do at the moment than take drugs.

If you feel you have gotten all you can from a particular psychedelic, I would suggest increasing your doasage. If it's one of the safer psychs like LSD or mushrooms I would suggest taking double your average dose. I would not recommend this with any research chemical unless you are sure it is safe (read).

I felt the same way after 10 or 15 moderate doses of mushrooms, between 2 and 4 grams; that I had experienced all the mushroom had to offer. I had heard a bit about ego death and done a lot of reading into the subject and decided to try it myself. I ate as much of a quarter oz as I could (left between a gram and a half gram in the bag; it takes me a while to get down mushrooms and if I had eaten any more I fear I would have puked my expensive fungus all over the place).

I think this will solve both of your concerns--the nature of the experience changes drastically and fundementally when ego disintegration sets in. You will take away a lot of good from the trip if you go with the flow.

Ego death seems to have a side effect of scaring (or at least startling) the fuck out of you. It will likely take quite a while to make any kind of sense of the experience. This will keep you from dosing as much.

T. Mckenna said that you haven't even entered the front door to the house of psychedelic experience if you haven't taken 5 grams of cubensis (or equivalent) in silent darkness; you are still on the front porch. I tend to agree with this notion after my experience.

To borrow another line from Terence: "Twice as much, half as often."

That's my two cents.

BilZ0r said:
I mean, you all must have had completely rediculous notions that you were certain were correct under the influence of serotoninergic psychedelics, ("atoms crystalize our reality into forms that allow us to percieve them, and they resonate, and it's those vibrations that we sense").

Didn't the guy who discovered the structure of DNA do it while on LSD?

You do not believe that a drug could facilitate learning of a different nature other than sober learning? It's all about perception, and your perception is what is altered on drugs. Some people's perceptions may be crazy, but some are dead on... Either way, they came from a human in a state unattainable without that drug. There's infinate possiblities.

Last edited:
lots of great stories of people coming up with fantastically true ideas on LSD.

Thanks everyone for your answers & opinions, it's a lot of work going through all of them!

only 2 years for me, but definitely major change, both good and bad (bad change from bad trips , not surprisingly)

I believe it has the power to effect change by amplifying experience. Something that happens to you on acid is alot more meaningful than when it happened sober. Also the time dilation thing may have something to do with it - when you think you are experiencing something for longer, maybe it has more effect on you.

pros-
1 feels good
2 gain new insights and perspectives on life and reality in general
3 form deep connections with other people while tripping together
4 spiritual/shamanic/sacramental uses
5 visuals are fun
6 radical thought changes which leads to new concept formation

cons-
freaking out sucks

short list... to the point i think