Extreme nostalgia/nostalgic depression

been thinking more about my extreme nostalgia recently and it seems to be to my anxiety. For example, my nostalgia for the 2020 lockdown is understandable as many other people felt it but also I didn’t have to work and could just relax all day and all night doing my hobbies. however, I’ve been getting really nostalgic about the very recent past for example, the winter of 2023. that was a turbulent time with many good times within it, but also a lot of stress. However, I did find it generally more predictable and manageable, but whenever I imagine it, I wish I could go back there. I wonder if nostalgia feels so good, partly because you know every event that will happen during that time if you were to revisited and that nothing turned out so bad in the end.

psychologists worn that nostalgia often involves distorted and filtered memories which create a deceptively positive picture of that time. this is definitely true to a large extent, however, I feel that my own nostalgia is much more rational, that is, I’ve actually told other people that I enjoyed those time periods whilst I was in them. despite being quite rational, I can’t deny my nostalgia is extreme and persistent. recently, I came across articles on nostalgic depression and the description of the disorder largely match my own symptoms.
Has anyone else had a similar experience to me?
Also, I wonder if nostalgia is a powerful trigger for relapse to drug addictions?

Definitely agree with that. I always look back and my mimd only goes to the positives.

I'm not sure it causes depression for me etc but certainly there is some sadness that things ended/are over...whether that be times and places or relationships.

Possibly could cause drug relapses because I think we sometimes want to chase those memories and/or recreate them.

Definitely agree with that. I always look back and my mimd only goes to the positives.

I'm not sure it causes depression for me etc but certainly there is some sadness that things ended/are over...whether that be times and places or relationships.

Possibly could cause drug relapses because I think we sometimes want to chase those memories and/or recreate them.

Regarding real/powerful drugs, I can’t speak from experience because I’ve never done them. however, I have noticed that if I use high dose nicotine On a daily basis for a period of time, part of the stress resilience it gives me includes suppression of nostalgic thoughts/emotions. of course, I still feel really nostalgic whilst on chronic nicotine but at the same time, nicotine allows me to just get on with what I need to do right now. is a hard feeling to describe, but it basically allows me to live in the moment in a productive way.

Regarding real/powerful drugs, I can’t speak from experience because I’ve never done them. however, I have noticed that if I use high dose nicotine On a daily basis for a period of time, part of the stress resilience it gives me includes suppression of nostalgic thoughts/emotions. of course, I still feel really nostalgic whilst on chronic nicotine but at the same time, nicotine allows me to just get on with what I need to do right now. is a hard feeling to describe, but it basically allows me to live in the moment in a productive way.

very interesting.