Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Experimental poppy seed sprout with AeroGarden

Gardening

RR1989

Bluelighter
Hey everyone,
This started out as a half-assed experiment to see if I could sprout some seeds indoors that I got off eBay for $1.75.. (pack labeled Afghan Poppy Papaver...)

I got an AeroGarden kit for free along with some empty succulent pots and didn't expect to see much . I had tried before using store-bought seeds with just some dirt in a couple of pots and didn't get one sprout...

These are about 2 weeks in now with some filtered tap water + 3 drops of some "plant food" leftover from the AeroGardens original grow..

Seeing these gave me a renewed interest and motivation to maybe see these in the "end stage" I've known poppy to be tricky to start indoors and do not (and I've heard WILL NOT) transplant... I live in an apartment complex so indoor is my only option. I've spent some time going through differnt forums as well as a couple of downloaded Kindle books and will give it my best to finish this tiny garden.. Thinking about letting these mac out in height which will also add some strength and age before I even try to transplant. If anyone has anything to offer as far as advice, tips, experience etc. - I am open to all..

I also know that it requires fields of the
is crop to do any other "side projects" and is mainly a personal goal to see if i cant end with 1 or 2 fully developed plants that I can admire and MAYBE even get myself a personal souvenir from?? Maybe????

Last edited:
Problem is, I'm not sure how you're going to transplant those. Don't the roots start growing out of holes in the bottom?

I recommend getting a little 3'x3' or 4'x4' grow tent and transplanting them into soil before they get too established in that thing 🤔. I have grown them indoors before. It is a pain in the ass and not worth it in an economic sense given the time and cost, but it was alot of fun and cool to witness.

Moving from OD --> Drug Culture

Problem is, I'm not sure how you're going to transplant those. Don't the roots start growing out of holes in the bottom?

I recommend getting a little 3'x3' or 4'x4' grow tent and transplanting them into soil before they get too established in that thing 🤔. I have grown them indoors before. It is a pain in the ass and not worth it in an economic sense given the time and cost, but it was alot of fun and cool to witness.

I’ve been meaning to ask you some questions but maybe here is better.. It relates to OP’s grow.

How deep do the pots need to be for the roots? (I heard they grow more lateral roots than deep vertical ones.). Also how tall does the grow space need to be?

-GC

Oops. Sorry about the category placement! I over thought it and still got it wrong!

15 NOV 2022
Last night I came up on a PDF version of the book "hydroponic heroin." That book seems to be legit because the couple of hardcopies amazon has are selling for about $135... PDF version is full and complete and has so much good info it actually changed up some of my routine I thought I had with these guys...chanced it and was about to successfully wash out and refill with clean water and nutrients.. already losiny track of time.. but with the guide from that book I def have a little more confidence. 👍

18 November

I wish I would have read this book prior to starting this little project. The amount of useful info that is 100% applicable. Nothing held back in the name of any type of correctness and honestly I think it's an invaluable book. Books like these may be 100% gone followed by the info...no more individual farmer...but I digress ...HaH I've only seen a physical copy on Amazons private seller for $135! 🤯..

Looking to transplant to a more permanent area. I've been checking out some small indoor grow tent...

If anyone is interested in reading "hydroponic heroin" by Robert Neal Brunch let me know I can send you the link of post it here unless there's a rule or something? ...

Captains Log: 29 NOV 22

I've somewhat given in and convinced myself I need to start over now that I have read up on indoor hydroponics and found everything I need/want now on Amazon. Indoor grow tent, lights,fans - the works..

Assuming these survive I will eventually have to transplant them, but no idea as to where or what kind of container etc..

I've been trying to find complete write-ups or grow logs on any indoor poppy grows but haven't found anything that shows a good ending... They all just abruptly stop updating lol...

Anyways not sure if these are stunted/lost cause etc OR if I am impatient like I always am - but here they are with +two late sprouts that replaced 2 duds...

Still open to suggestions, feedback, criticism, insults or death threats even! Ha

I’ve been meaning to ask you some questions but maybe here is better.. It relates to OP’s grow.

How deep do the pots need to be for the roots? (I heard they grow more lateral roots than deep vertical ones.). Also how tall does the grow space need to be?

-GC

I've grown them in a 3 foot space, but 4-5 feet is better (at 3 feet some of the pods hit the top, particularly if you are growing tall varieties).

Hands down the best poppies to grow in a small grow tent are Tasmanians. Shop around for some unwashed poppy seeds and drink the washes (after defatting them). Grow the one you like the high from.

All the fancy Izmir's and "afghan" seeds ive grown had inferior highs to good high alkaloid Tasmanians.

I've been trying to find complete write-ups or grow logs on any indoor poppy grows but haven't found anything that shows a good ending... They all just abruptly stop updating lol...

Anyways not sure if these are stunted/lost cause etc OR if I am impatient like I always am - but here they are with +two late sprouts that replaced 2 duds...

Go to the reddit "druggardening" they have some.

The two runs I've have had growing a fairly good number of poppies indoors were all successful, growing in multiple spaces, and I got a pretty good yield of strong poppies (especially the Tasmanians, which were multifold more potent by weight than any poppies I've ever had in my life -- and I've gone through alot of poppies, having a daily habit at one point).

But if you want those to grow to maturity you need to get a grow tent and some 5 gallon pots. Very carefully transplant two plants per 5 gallon pots (filled with 3:1 or so ratio of potting soil and perlite).

Problem is, im not sure how transplanting will work from that contraption you have. I've only transplanted from soil to soil.

I've grown them in a 3 foot space, but 4-5 feet is better (at 3 feet some of the pods hit the top, particularly if you are growing tall varieties).

Hands down the best poppies to grow in a small grow tent are Tasmanians. Shop around for some unwashed poppy seeds and drink the washes (after defatting them). Grow the one you like the high from.

All the fancy Izmir's and "afghan" seeds ive grown had inferior highs to good high alkaloid Tasmanians.
Hitting the Top of the ceiling? Or a tent?..These were sold as "afghan" on ebay. I know I've seen Tasmanian on there too so I'll probably grab some when I go to order the coca seeds next...I even see some somniferums listed on amazon

12 DEC

Did the bo-weekly tank clean out / fresh water refill + nutrients ... Things seem to be taking off now! ...

Still planning/researching the best indoor setup for an apartment... I feel like they need to be transplanted asap but until I get everything needed I will leave them be. There are a couple smaller ones I need to cut out that are overflowing the grow pellets ... Some more seeds due any day now via mail service. These will get started in a more permanent location this time etc... Maybe incorporate small indoor tent/ where I can control climate etc... Still searching for that perfect barney-style diy grow guide for these guys ...

Hitting the Top of the ceiling? Or a tent?..These were sold as "afghan" on ebay. I know I've seen Tasmanian on there too so I'll probably grab some when I go to order the coca seeds next...I even see some somniferums listed on amazon

Top of the tent.

Best way to find good Tasmanian seeds is actually to shop around for some strong unwashed poppy seeds (often sold under the guise as such, with warnings of "do not consume"). These seeds are from high alkaloid content Tasmanians. You can very this by simply washing a portion of the seeds and drinking it. If the PST wash has a good high, grow those seeds. These plants produced opium far stronger than the various specialty seeds ive bought (izmir, giganthemums, "afghan", etc).

And importantly, the Tasmanians produce a far greater number of pods per plant the other varieties and also grow shorter, allowing you to grow in a smaller space.

Damn those are growing fast af. There was a book floating around years ago called "Opium For the Masses" by Jim Hogshire I believe. Not sure how in depth it goes into the gardening process.

You're gonna need a lot more than that to even tickle your asshole though. That won't even really get you off E.

Last edited:
17 DEC

They are growing like ... Weeds.... Ha! The larger ones I transplanted and seem to be doing just fine from what I can tell ( I don't know shit about this. Learning as I go!)
Ordering indoor tent for them soon and started another set that are currently germinating elsewhere

21 DEC 2022. First day of winter and thanks to a couple of friends nearby my setup dramatically changed today...

Started another tray of 30 peet pod things because I am already hooked on growing these... I did see some coca seeds on eBay that I really want to throw in as well since were "doin' the damn thang" happy holidays/Merry Xmas everyone!

21 DEC 2022. First day of winter and thanks to a couple of friends nearby my setup dramatically changed today...

Started another tray of 30 peet pod things because I am already hooked on growing these... I did see some coca seeds on eBay that I really want to throw in as well since were "doin' the damn thang" happy holidays/Merry Xmas everyone!

Eventually, if all goes well you'll have a tent that looks like these:

A few varieties here, izmir galania (an afghan type poppy, the pink flower) and giganthemums (the tall ones, purple flower):

url=https://ibb.co/vQznPqq]
20221221-183531.jpg
[/url]

And these are all tasmanians, these are the ones to grow:

The Tasmanians in the 2nd picture were much stronger than all those other ebay/speciality store poppies that I grew. Not only stronger, but a much better high, more euphoric, way less nausea, a bit more stimulating but in a very enjoyable way. The other pods weren't nearly has strong.

Again, the best to grow are the Tasmanian seeds that are sold as "unwashed" and are used to make poppy seed tea. These seeds are the left over waste from the high alkaloid Tasmanian poppies that are grown for the pharmaceutical industry. The truth is, almost all other seeds sold online, despite being called "afghan" or etc, are really the result of breeding by ornamental poppy growers, who selectively breed for large, beautiful flowers. They produce big beautiful poppies with nice flowers but that isn't exactly why someone grows these in a grow tent. Even so called high alkaloid ornamental, like Laurens Grape, aren't nearly as high alkaloids as the pharma Tasmanians.

I miss growing poppies, it was a blast, but I turned out to be too good at it and grew way more morphine than I was expecting. As a former addict thats too much to handle. But I do miss growing these.