• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Experience with ketamine therapy for depression

Thanks for the reply. I'm struggling with severe treatment resistant depression. What David Foster Wallace referred to as the Great White Shark of pain. It is a level of psychic pain wholly incompatible with human life as we know it. Its emotional character is probably mostly indescribable, except as a sort of double bind in which any/all of the alternatives we associate with human agency —sitting or standing, doing or resting, speaking or keeping silent, living or dying —are not just unpleasant but literally horrible.
It is far beyond going through a bad spell in life's circumstances.

I have undergone a lengthy series of ketamine treatments, including IV infusions administered in a hospital environment. Unfortunately, ketamine provided NO improvement. It has proven to be a costly undertaking, but it is important to keep in mind that it does not benefit 100% of those who use it. I truly wish it was beneficial. Ketamine's failure has only added to the severity of depression. But that's the flip-side of its use as a treatment.

Seacidal,
I'm sorry that ketamine didn't work for you. I too have been looking into ketamine treatment. It is a little uneasy for me to think about the fact that it may not work. How is anxiety involved in your depression? Could you talk about your background, as far as depression goes? I only ask, because I know that there are certain circumstances that they can look at and tell if you'd be a good candidate for ketamine working.

Thanks for the reply. I'm struggling with severe treatment resistant depression. What David Foster Wallace referred to as the Great White Shark of pain. It is a level of psychic pain wholly incompatible with human life as we know it. Its emotional character is probably mostly indescribable, except as a sort of double bind in which any/all of the alternatives we associate with human agency —sitting or standing, doing or resting, speaking or keeping silent, living or dying —are not just unpleasant but literally horrible.
It is far beyond going through a bad spell in life's circumstances.

I have undergone a lengthy series of ketamine treatments, including IV infusions administered in a hospital environment. Unfortunately, ketamine provided NO improvement. It has proven to be a costly undertaking, but it is important to keep in mind that it does not benefit 100% of those who use it. I truly wish it was beneficial. Ketamine's failure has only added to the severity of depression. But that's the flip-side of its use as a treatment.

Might I suggest Sarcosine? Ketamine stopped working for me, and it became a pain in the arse, so I decided to give an nmda co-agonist a try. Up to now I've been taking it twice a day and it has been really quite good. When I go through really bad depressive dips I can still feel it -- especially at night when the sarcosine wears off -- but it is definitely improved.

WARNING: Anyone interested in trying sarcosine: make sure any NMDA antagonists are out of your system. Ketamine, magnesium supplements, DXM, MXE, etc... If you overlap the two prepare for some serious muscle spasms and general unpleasantness. Also take folate. I recall reading somewhere that it can deplete folate. Also: popping an ibuprofen seems to amplify it.
http://www.smartpowders.com/sarcosine-100-grams-n-methylglycine.html

Last edited:
Sorry for my delayed reply. I missed the notice and have been away from the site for awhile.

With respect to anxiety, it's more of a secondary symptom for me. First and foremost, my primary diagnosis is refractory major depression (non-psychotic). Anxiety does crop up as the depressive symptoms interfere with my functioning. Anxiety is a common response. But not a primary diagnosis. When anxiety comes on, I'm often able to manage it with a combination of meditative and breathing techniques. If that doesn't work, I can use medical marijuana or a light benzo dose to keep the anxiety in check.

Hope that is helpful. I am still trying ketamine, but using a intranasal spray to try to obtain benefits over a longer period. Nothing really encouraging so far. But at least its only a small fraction of the cost of the infusions and it's easy to apply daily while at home.

Thanks so much foreigner for your detailed description of your experiences with ketamine. I'm writing a book on the use of ketamine for depression with the aim of raising funds for further research and I would like your permission to quote from your writing on the subject. I'm not sure as to the best way of talking to you about this so perhaps you could respond directly on this forum or the moderator could pass on my contact details.

Cheers - Steve

Would love to hear some updates on the long term effects by you too, Foreigner.

Update from PDDChronic, and I'll have to change my username. No longer chronic.

I was taking Sarcosine by itself which rated somewhere between an anti-depressant and ketamine (much weaker than ket, way way weaker – but still better than ssri,snri,tca and MAIOs taking lack of side effects into account). It wasn't perfect but it was keeping me from wanting to kill myself 24/7 (I was combining with modafinil for energy to get through the day)

Well I added NAC to the mix. 1 gram pills three times a day, with sarcosine 700mg twice a day. Oh and a double dose of vitamin D. As soon as I tried combining with NAC it was like stepping through the looking-glass. I've tried NAC on its own before, and it didn't do much, but combined with Sarcosine – woah. Worked a frikken treat.

I'm basically cured. I don't feel high, or confused, and my dick works, and my head is clear.

And I've stopped taking modafinil. No longer need it.

PREAISE BE TO JEYASUS!!!! F-YEAH!!!

PS: There is some fool selling Sarcosine and NAC as a bundle marked up to hell. Don't waste your money. Buy them separate (sarc from smartpowders, et al, and NAC you can get off ebay).

Dasvidaniya, mofos. I'm out and into the sunset.

EDIT: NAC = N acetylcysteine, used for negative symptoms in schizophrenia (depression, confused thoughts).

IMPORTANT EDIT: During period of posting the combination of Sarc+NAC threw me into a bit of mania, hence the over-reaction. I rarely get mania, and when I do it's usually only for 20'ish days. Since then, I still take NAC, and Ketamine when things go really pear shaped, but -- hell mania is like a godsend when you've been depressed for so long. Also never been officially diagnosed with bi-polar, because I don't tend to get *too* delusional on the upswings (although I've had my moments), and they're so rare that when I go back to depression I almost forget about said episodes.

Last edited:
Off-topic a bit (still ketamine therapy), but I'd be really interested in anyone's experience with ketamine for treating chronic physical pain. I have real bad back pain, and I understand that ketamine infusions are an approved treatment?

Just an update, since it's been forever.

I no longer use ketamine, or any drug. My body can't handle it anymore, now that I've developed a severe chronic health condition. I just don't have the neurotransmitters to spare, or something. I have chronic fatigue now and any substances that artificially lifts me up for a time leaves me depleted. I tried ketamine about a month ago and I felt exhausted for days. Whatever has changed about me neurochemically or physiologically in recent months has made this kind of tinkering intolerable. I can say though that I'm happier than I've been in over a decade, for no apparent reason.

I will say that radically altering my diet and repairing my GI has restored more mental health than anything I've tried previously, including ketamine. HOWEVER, at the time that I used a ketamine protocol, it helped me a great deal and I would advocate it over SSRI use any day.

A lot of people have PM'd me to tell me about the treatment centers they've been to, where doctors want to charge up to $800 for a single ketamine IV infusion. I think this is insane. The only benefit of doing that is guaranteed purity of the substance. Apart from that, I don't support it. Nobody should be charged that much money to experience relief. Nobody.

Some people who PM'd me said that they were given nebulizers to deliver ketamine daily. These people were in Europe. I can see that being a handy delivery method. I still feel that IM injection is the best route though.

stevejhyde said:
Thanks so much foreigner for your detailed description of your experiences with ketamine. I'm writing a book on the use of ketamine for depression with the aim of raising funds for further research and I would like your permission to quote from your writing on the subject. I'm not sure as to the best way of talking to you about this so perhaps you could respond directly on this forum or the moderator could pass on my contact details.

Feel free to quote me, but please link to Bluelight if you do.

I'm excited that informed information about the therapeutic potential of arycyclohexylamines is coming together. I'd doubt a couple books on the subject will be enough to shift any drug policies, but it may inspire continued research.

Most importantly, having accessible balanced data should inform a safer and more effective use of these drugs for people who choose to go 'off-label' or have already decided to experiment with unscheduled research chemicals medicinally.

This is a great text foreigner, it should be published in a medical magazine! ;-)

First off excuse if that questions allready got discussed in the thread and if my english is not perfect, as I'm a foreigner too. haha.

Question:
Do you think it's really important to do the regimen with the schedule of administering you descriped (every hour for the first three days, then every two hours and so on) or could I also do it, let's say three times a day (with my threshold dose of 12mg) and therefor over a longer period of time (let's say 3 weeks).
So over the course of three weeks, I would take my dose, three times a day. That should work fine, isn't it?

I mean what I understood, if you go to a real doctor for a ketamine Therapy, you get the injection, IV, only once a week, right? Or maybe once a day, but not 8 times a day or whatever.

On this very interresting website they say you can take it daily, weekly or only monthly: http://howtousepsychedelics.org/ketamine/

Update:

Still take Ketamine at nights when I'm going through a bad patch. I've found just a tiny tiny bump, enough to feel floaty, taken every night for maybe a week tends to get me through those super rough patches.

I've kind of stopped taking sarcosine, but NAC is still useful for my mood. I found combining Sarcosine+NAC+modifinal tipped me into mania, which is kind of fun, but was a dangerous reference point to have when hitting the deep troughs. For the same reason that same combination was not compatible with marijuana. Every now and then I hit a sativa as a mood lifter -- just got to be careful not to stray into mania.

His report was the most incredible I have ever read in regards to treatment using ketamine.
I only had a lot of questions about the first week of use.
Do you talk about doses of 10-12mg every hour? How much ketamine did you get every day?
I was very confused because at some point in the story you talk about using doses of only 10mg.
My first attempt was with a dose of 30mg and it was very strong and made me very ill but in any way I was able to get the antidepressant benefits of this dose.
In the second week I made a dose of 10mg and it was much more tolerable.
My doses are subcutaneous.
Can you help me ?
God bless you

I feel bad that there were questions here that I never answered because I ignored this thread for a long time. I've been quite physically ill the past 4-5 years so other things took priority. Also this thread came up in another ketamine related thread so I thought I would bump this one.

There's probably way more clinical data out there now than I had when I wrote the OP to this thread, so don't take my methods as the gospel. That said, I have been seeing some methods being used in the medical community that, for myself personally, would be detrimental. They still don't seem to understand that chronic, sub-threshold doses are the key to neural restoration. Most doctors are giving ketamine once weekly, through IV, at doses that are not conducive to brain healing in my opinion. All of the studies, including the data used in the Esketamine trial, talked about "serious side effects" in some people. These side effects are due to the dose being too high! These patients will mostly only get a temporary effect from the treatment and after a period of time (days, weeks) their symptoms will return. Also, ketamine therapy through official channels, although guaranteed to be pure, is extremely cost prohibitive. I am seeing doctors charge thousands of dollars for a single treatment session. Esketamine, the Rx nasal spray just approved by the FDA, is almost $5000 USD for a 1 month supply. Even though they are using the (S) enantiomer of ketamine in this version, which is more costly to produce, the price is still unjustified in my view. Considering that people with treatment resistant depression and PTSD are desperate for a novel intervention, this is nothing short of a cash grab.

Anyway, I will answer the above posts now.

This is a great text foreigner, it should be published in a medical magazine! ;-)

I sure hope not! Though, I do know for a fact that some researchers have been using my small anecdotal report to build their own trials. Some of them have contacted me by PM.

Do you think it's really important to do the regimen with the schedule of administering you described (every hour for the first three days, then every two hours and so on) or could I also do it, let's say three times a day (with my threshold dose of 12mg) and therefor over a longer period of time (let's say 3 weeks).
So over the course of three weeks, I would take my dose, three times a day. That should work fine, isn't it?

In my view, which I built upon Jamshyd's (RIP) view, yes, you do need to do the recommended dosing schedule. The reason is that you want to gently saturate the pre-frontax cortex NMDA receptors with ketamine. Too high a dose, and you'll blast them into down-regulation. Too low a dose, and they won't become saturated. To use a metaphor... you are basically gently numbing the receptors so that they respond with new growth. This new growth heals a certain kind of depression, usually trauma related. If you want to grow a garden, you have to give it just the right amount of water, not too much or too little. Same with too much or too little sunlight.

"Just the right dose" will look slightly different for each person, but it will always be below 15mg, and usually below 12mg. You have to judge this for yourself. It will feel like you might be getting high, but you don't. It's like you just drank enough beer to get slightly tipsy, but you aren't full on drunk. If you get high, you've done too much. If you feel nothing, you've done too little. The right amount will feel like you're coming up, but then it stops right at the point before you would take off. A tease, I know... but remember, this is therapy, not recreation.

First you find your sub-threshold dose. You might accidentally get high, but because this is in the beginning stage it won't matter as much. Don't TRY to get high. You have to be committed to this as a therapy. Once you find your sub-threshold dose, you do that dose every hour until the point that it doesn't feel like it's doing very much. This means the receptors are saturated. Then you decrease the schedule to every 2 hours. You hold there until it seems like it's not doing anything.

If you just start at every 3 hours, the receptors won't remain saturated and the result will not be as effective. This is my opinion.

And this is why modern medicine is failing. They only know how to come up with one treatment model, so they end up blasting everybody with the same dose, a dose that is too high. They don't know how to custom tailor the dose to each person because they would require listening to each patient's feedback. Modern medicine doesn't do individualized medicine and that's why their ketamine protocols come up short, IMO.

I mean what I understood, if you go to a real doctor for a ketamine Therapy, you get the injection, IV, only once a week, right? Or maybe once a day, but not 8 times a day or whatever.

Once a week is not enough at any dose, and usually it's the wrong dose on top of it. They get their patients high and then those NMDA receptors only down-regulate, which does not fix the depression.

On this very interesting website they say you can take it daily, weekly or only monthly: http://howtousepsychedelics.org/ketamine/

You can take it less often once your neurology is "used" to it. I got to the point when I only had to take a single 10mg injection once a week to prevent depression. Note, if something shitty happens in your life or you're stressed out, it's not going to stop you getting depressed over that. Ketamine doesn't shield you against depression from life circumstances. It only helps heal the brain from damage caused by past trauma.

Still take Ketamine at nights when I'm going through a bad patch. I've found just a tiny tiny bump, enough to feel floaty, taken every night for maybe a week tends to get me through those super rough patches.

I've kind of stopped taking sarcosine, but NAC is still useful for my mood. I found combining Sarcosine+NAC+modifinal tipped me into mania, which is kind of fun, but was a dangerous reference point to have when hitting the deep troughs. For the same reason that same combination was not compatible with marijuana. Every now and then I hit a sativa as a mood lifter -- just got to be careful not to stray into mania.

You may want to try magnesium (bisglycinate, sulfate, malate, threonate -- avoid carbonate and oxide) as it is a voltage gate regulator of the NMDA receptors, which means it compliments ketamine quite nicely.

His report was the most incredible I have ever read in regards to treatment using ketamine.
I only had a lot of questions about the first week of use.
Do you talk about doses of 10-12mg every hour? How much ketamine did you get every day?
I was very confused because at some point in the story you talk about using doses of only 10mg.
My first attempt was with a dose of 30mg and it was very strong and made me very ill but in any way I was able to get the antidepressant benefits of this dose.
In the second week I made a dose of 10mg and it was much more tolerable.
My doses are subcutaneous.
Can you help me ?
God bless you

The first dose I took was 10mg. For me, it was too much, as my brain was a ketamine virgin. I ended up only needing 6mg per hour to achieve sub-threshold saturation. Some people may need more than this. Nobody needs more than 12mg. It's better to start with less and need more, than to start with more and need less. Either way, the beginning is a testing phase and you may accidentally take too much. That's OK, because once you find the right dose, you will stay at that dose and start healing your brain. Taking too much in the middle of the regimen (say, day 2) will sabotage the entire regimen and you'll have to start over.

30mg is way too much. Even 15mg is too much. 10mg is reasonable... though I think sub-cutaneous injection will delay delivery and this will affect your dosing schedule and the efficiency of the protocol. I would do IM instead. Jamshyd did sub-Q and he was fine though, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited: