Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. The Endorphin Factory

Erikmen I use Headspace for meditation either on my phone or desktop. It might seem kind of corporate but I love it and it works for me as a beginner. You can try it for free for 10 minutes a day for 10 days.

^ Thanks!
I've been trying to meditate but I'm not focusing enough.
I'm learning to relax and doing breathing exercises.

Lifted, hauled, pushed, pulled, dragged and stacked a considerable weight in the last two days and walked over 25 miles as well. Just pounded spaghetti and i feel great. Tomorrow is an off day with a feast :)

Looking forward for new gym package. Swim, yoga and aerobics.

I was looking for this thread the other day and couldn't find it. I was about to make a new thread about this but it wasright there in TDS front page, so:

Exercise has been a very integral part of my recovery from a large and lengthy H habit (vaporizing/smoking, not IV). I have my entire routine down, and I do it 2x a day. I start by stretching everything from my cervical vertebra, shoulders, thoracic vertebra, sides, abdomen, etc. Not a body group missed (a good back crack gives me the same pleasure as a gram of H would).

Then I do 100 crunches of different types plus pushups until muscle failure (usually 50-ish total). I do this 2x a day in the morning and night.

Nothing, and I mean nothing (not even buprenorphine) can give me the feeling of well-being that these stretches/exercises do.

Simply looking at my abs immediately dispels the negative mental state that exists in the background during opioid recovery.

You don't even need a gym membership to do this routine!

Missed my aerobics yesterday. I think I have a cold. Don't like to break my routine.

I lifted for the first time in a week, god it feels so good. I had been drinking way too much beer and had strained my shoulder and took a break and as a result was feeling so depressed. Nothing compares to the high of exercising, not weed, coke, opiates nothing =) NSA deserves a radio commercial like this: After reading all of NSA's posting on exercise I gave it a shot and stuck with it for an entire year and I have never looked or felt so great! Thanks NSA!

I feel like drinking a glass of beer. I don't have alcohol issues, I just want to get myself numbed for a couple of hours.

And I didn't do this out of fear. Not to relapse like I did one year ago. Gosh, I need help. I don't want to feel like I'm imprisoned.

Last edited:
Back to the routine. Working a lot. Have gone to the gym this morning.
I almost didn't but afterwards the day was a lot better.
Exercise for me is like medicine sometimes. A good type of medicine.

Hiii everyone! Just wanted to say, I found your thread @neversick, really motivating!

About myself:
I have a bad Fentanyl-habit and am currently detoxing (day 7 today). I have been mostly taking walks for the past 3 days and got really exhausted at times even from that. My eating has gone from sugary crap to healthy at least for those 7 days and I feel it helps a lot too.
Today I will try to maybe go jogging and/or ride my bike and increase it every day from now on.
I have also been a smoker for quite some time and feel like my lungs have lost like 1/3 of their volume. And I still have a hard time giving up smoking and I feel like doing sports to get healthier and smoking at the same time is... just stupid. So, I'll see what I'll do about that, but I certainly feel like fresh air is so much better right now than this goddamned cigarette smoke..

Anyway: Exercise, even if its just the smallest thing, like for me, really already helped me so much. I'm actually looking forward to try and get to my (ridiculously low) limits today, even if the withdrawal kinda makes me want to avoid exercise at all costs... But I believe in it being a rewarding thing so I'll do it. (I'll update! if not I most likely relapsed..)

I wish everyone the best for their road, you can do it!!

StH

Im going to load a tractor trailer full of stuff by hand tomorrow. That will work me good.

Back on my swimming routine. 1.5 hour 4 x a week.
Can also attend to hydrogymnastics classes and exercise whenever I have time.
Feeling great. Nice hot salty water.

Moved a bunch of metal and a tree. Feeling good. 40 foot trailer came today so im going to attack that tomorrow and the next day. Then right into the gym after that. Going to be one happy and sexy NSA by summer.

^ Seems like a lot of work! Hope you are feeling better NSA. :)

Did some aerobics this morning. It's difficult to wake up and go but it feels great afterwards.

I was more depressed than I've ever been all last month, suicidal. Basically I was doing nothing but ruminating in negative thoughts and lying on the couch all day. No motivation to live and I couldn't get drugs.

I don't know how, but this month I started getting moving. My routine always starts with a stretch, then sit-ups and push-ups. Then I put on a work out DVD and it feels good to sweat. After that I run on the treadmill and I've been going further and further every day. I admit I'm sick of the treadmill though. It can be sooo hard, but so worth it when you're done and proud of yourself.

I'm not completely off drugs yet, but at least I'm not just lying around like I'm dead. I feel alive again. I want exercise to completely replace drug use.