• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Enlightenment

Yes, you can get a God-complex from taking psychedelics regularly and working seriously on spiritual development. In fact, just one of those can do it.

"When that sense of ego, of separation, melts away, a feeling of total connectedness, of no sense of a “me” separate from all of creation descends, that is bliss consciousness."

- Paramhansa Yogananda

Yes, you can get a God-complex from taking psychedelics regularly and working seriously on spiritual development. In fact, just one of those can do it.

It's a sign of an ego trap though. The god complex must eventually give way to a kind of free fall where nothing is being grasped, otherwise ego will take responsibility for everything that's happening by inserting the perception that the individual is "above" the system. The truth is that everything is independently arising and dissolving without any input from self. In other words we are part of god but we aren't god in its totality -- i.e. the world does not resolve around any individual person. IMO the biggest danger of psychedelics is that kind of solipsism.

In other words psychedelics (and certain spiritual practices) can make you feel like you've transcended something, even though there is nothing to transcend. There's no higher or lower, there's nowhere to go. You can't get anymore into it than you already are in this present moment. You're already there and always are there.

"The fruits of the soul ripen only under the rays of that sun, of love. When the first ray of Love shines out for you, you will experience within your soul such indescribable bliss, such light, such a mighty impulse in your mind, and such a striving of your will, that all obstacles of the world will begin to melt before you. A few moments of existence within the divine Love are infinitely more precious than a thousand years of ordinary human life spent in great pleasures and enjoyments. In loving, we seek God. We have to love God in order to receive and experience Him."

- Peter Deunov

An excerpt from Adyashanti's book "The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment."

https://manyvoices.soundstrue.com/life-awakening-adyashanti/

"And it is indeed startling: It’s not what we think it’s going to be like at all. I’ve never had a single student come back and say, “You know, Adya, I peered through the veil of separation, and it’s pretty much what I thought it would be. It measures up pretty closely to what I’ve been told.” Usually they come back and say, “This is nothing like what I imagined.”"

In other words psychedelics (and certain spiritual practices) can make you feel like you've transcended something, even though there is nothing to transcend. There's no higher or lower, there's nowhere to go. You can't get anymore into it than you already are in this present moment. You're already there and always are there.
I couldn't agree more. The same goes for dissociatives, in my opinion.

I dissociated into an orb once. That might be you on the Monadic level.

Adyashanti... his writings makes sense to someone who's already there. If you haven't realized it yet, all he'll do is add more and more layers of confusion.

He talks about how awakening is beyond the imagination, which is true, but he then proceeds to paint a heady, verbal picture of what awakening is. What's the point?

Better to give people exercises and instruction that could point them to it, rather than try to describe what it is. Which is what a lot of pre-existing systems do. Also, people just randomly awaken without those systems.

The other thing is that it's dangerous to assume that awakening looks the same for everyone. It might not.

Things are what they are. People do what they do and experience what they experience. Applying definitions already constrains the process. If we all knew exactly what enlightenment was with useful linguistics, there would be an instruction manual. No one knows, not even Adyashanti.

I relate to a lot of what he says and at the same time the semantics create too many divisions. The truth is SIMPLE not complicated.

I agree, Adyashanti is more for those who are already quite advanced on the path, or already serious about it. He looks down on the way most spiritual teachers teach and can come across quite precious or pretentious.

He says things like awakening has nothing to do with attaining bliss, peace, and love and those are just a by-product of awakening. Maybe so, but that would be the main motivation or a big deal for most. He also likes to talk a lot about how painful the path can be, and isn't really good for attracting new-comers.

At the same time, he has been trained in Zen from a very early age and started teaching on the request of his guru, and he does know the real stuff. Also, I think he comes across better in interviews or speeches as he has a very beautiful, soft being and personifies enlightenment, which doesn't really come through in his writings.

Last edited:
"Your view from the sub-consciousness level is extremely limited, and hence is narrow. At the consciousness level, your perception of the world improves to a limited extent but once you attain to the state of super-consciousness, you get a 360 degree view where all the parts come together – you feel the interconnectedness, the music, and ideas flow freely and creativity is at its peak."

Is super-consciousness enlightenment? Sounds like sloganeering. ;)

No, but it's connected. It's also part of transpersonal psychology.

The idea of a super-consciousness is very interesting if you study it, actually, it's what we all should be. I've been opening up to my intuition more lately and received some good insights so far.

^Any recommended reading? My mind is currently feeling quite fertile; I haven't taken drugs this week (except weed). And except today when I will take some codeine. Hmm.

Thanks, I'll have a read when my eyes begin opening again. :)

Animals in general have a interesting sense of awareness. I sometimes think they have a both highly refined and somehow impersonal sense of self. My cat is entirely aware of herself and her needs and makes those needs known, but she doesn't seem to have any perception of my own selfhood. I am an extension of her environment which exists solely for her. :) She's a real little sweety.

Her she is relaxing and the world waits around her:

Kicking%20back_zpsmausdwm8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beautiful kitty Willow. I'm a cat person but doggies are good too.