Endogenous Testosterone After Methadone Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

faceyneck

Greenlighter
I seem to have really bad luck with the search engine on BlueLight. So, if any of you know some links to former threads on here answering my questions, if you could simply link them to me, I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find the answers...

Short story:

I was on MMT for about 4 years, for an addiction to methadone. (...bad idea. It happens though.)

It shot my testosterone levels way down, like 230, in mid-twenties. I think the units were ng/dl? So, I went on HRT, taking about 50mg Test Cypionate every other week. Got my levels up to about 500-700, depending on the blood work, and probably the day of the week. After about 6 months of this, I decided it wasn't worth it anymore, and I tapered off the testosterone. I didn't use any hCG or anything, so my nuts were small as all hell for a long time. I think they're back to normal now though.

I've been off methadone for 7 months now. I tapered down to 10mg, then took kratom for the past 5.5 months, to hopefully avoid long, drawn out withdrawals from the methadone. (...which didn't work out at all. I'm on like day 40 and still only sleeping 4 hours a night; bone aches; chronic yawning, etc. All this while taking a heroic 1.0mg of Clonidine daily and .5mg xanax, both Rx. I'd probably go mad if it weren't for the Clonidine and Xanax.)

Anyway, the MD at the clinic told me some people end up needing to be on HRT for the rest of their lives after being on methadone.

Does anyone know anything about this? It'll be at least a couple months before I can afford to get my levels checked. Also, being in withdrawal for over a month has made any exercise extremely difficult. Very little resistance training for the past few months and most of this year, and I'm pretty sure I'm not eating enough either. Essentially everything that'll shoot testosterone levels down the drain I'm doing, not on purpose, but resulting from the whole withdrawal thing.

Considering all of that - how long would it be recommended I wait before I DO get my levels checked?

I thought a good starting point would be when I'm finally well enough to hit the gym at least 3 x a week, eat enough food, and sleep at least 6 hours a night, for, like, a month? 2 months? Then get tested?

All I can manage these days is an hour walk, and 5 sets of push-ups and pull-ups a day.

Thanks in advance to anyone who actually made it through this post, hahaha. Cheers. ;)

It's potentially true; methadone represses endogenous testosterone.

I couldn't say why or to what degree you might be effected. I would just advise to get regular blood work and go from there. :)

Thanks for the input, Captain.

Any suggestions on when I should get my blood work done?

With my current situation being what it is, I think it's most likely the case my testosterone levels are much lower than they would be "normally" if I were eating enough, sleeping enough, and exercising enough. I don't currently have insurance, so it'd all be out of pocket. :\ Otherwise I'd probably get blood work once a month over the next few months.

Thanks for the input, Captain.

Any suggestions on when I should get my blood work done?

With my current situation being what it is, I think it's most likely the case my testosterone levels are much lower than they would be "normally" if I were eating enough, sleeping enough, and exercising enough. I don't currently have insurance, so it'd all be out of pocket. :\ Otherwise I'd probably get blood work once a month over the next few months.
As it would be an out of pocket cost, maybe only every 2-3 months? every 6 months?

It'd be most ideal to have a few tests done before MMT so you could have seen where your levels were before hand, so you can compare.

If you are sure they are low, you can complain about them likely being low to a doctor, they may not even feel the need to have blood work done first, even though that is very likely going to be a part of what they do to assist in trying to get you back to normal levels. :)

I'm not sure what else to say... is there any way you can get insurance? Are you still in your mid-twenties? If so, Obama passed some health care legislation which extended the age for children being covered under their family's health insurance. All your parents would have to do is alert their health insurance providers they want to add you back onto their plan.

If you're past 27 or whatever the cut-off is, then it's totally irrelevant, but I thought I'd mention that. A lot of people didn't know about this right away, so a lot of people aren't getting health insurance coverage they otherwise should be.

That health mandate passed the year I became disqualified for it. Totally lame. 8)

I don't exactly work a 'typical job,' as such I have no reportable income. I can qualify for "indigency," which should get me access to a hormone panel. That should take about a month or so, maybe longer. It's crappy care, but it's something.

I was hoping more to get some information from other people who have been addicted to methadone, who had suppressed T levels, and what the aftermath is/was.

I don't know if my T levels are low or not. I know they most definitely were while I was on MMT.

Thanks for the input, captain.

Bro you were on methadone for four years and you have only been off for seven months it takes the body and brain like 2-5 years to replace the damage you have done. If you keep runnin test of course its never gonna naturally rebalance itself. Trust me man I went through the same shit.

Bro you were on methadone for four years and you have only been off for seven months it takes the body and brain like 2-5 years to replace the damage you have done.

Do you have any evidence to suggest this is the case?

I know opiates lower Test and have been there myself. After I got sober I worked out and took supps lilke Superdrol, Epistane, and Hdrol just to get me on the same level as someone who never abused opiates. I'm on MMT now after a 1 year relapse and just ordered some Sdrol because I "feel" like my test is low every time I try to work out.

I'm just speaking from experience and subjective beliefs w/ some research thrown in, but I'd say so long as you don't go crazy with the steroids/Test, cycle properly, have good PCT, you can make your work outs effective enough to make it a worthwhile use of time while not frying your endogenous hormone system so badly you'll never be normal again. Just my .02

I know opiates lower Test and have been there myself. After I got sober I worked out and took supps lilke Superdrol, Epistane, and Hdrol just to get me on the same level as someone who never abused opiates. I'm on MMT now after a 1 year relapse and just ordered some Sdrol because I "feel" like my test is low every time I try to work out.

I'm just speaking from experience and subjective beliefs w/ some research thrown in, but I'd say so long as you don't go crazy with the steroids/Test, cycle properly, have good PCT, you can make your work outs effective enough to make it a worthwhile use of time while not frying your endogenous hormone system so badly you'll never be normal again. Just my .02

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Sdrol and Epi are not supplements, they are real steroids and designer steroids, respectively. If you used these compounds without a Test base, all you did was fuck your HPTA up even worse. Regardless of what you do, your body will never be on the same level as someone who hasn't abused opiates, gear or no gear. It's foolish and if anything, obnoxious to try to amount to a human being who didn't have to resort to garbage in order to feel better about their shitty life. "Feeling" like your Test is low is hardly an indicator either.

Ill ignore the rute parts and reply to the rest

I think Sdrol is actually a prohormone not a steroid, might be wrong tho. Either way I said "suppliments" as a short hand for OTC compounds that are marketed as suppliments and was trying to not confuse anybody by saying "steroid" and having them think I meant any illegal steroid.

I think saying one must take test with Epi or Sdrol is wrong. Combining test with those is more dangerous than taking either on their own. I do not believe taking Epi / Sdrol without Test is worthless/dangerous/inefficient.

I know I won't be same as someone who never did opiates, but compensating for that with prohormones/steroids is not that wrong and I think just fine if done safely.

Lastly, I KNOW that opiates lowered my test levels. This is scientific fact. Bit since I never had bloodwork done I said "feel". Also Many people feel different when they are on Test/steroids...why can't someone feel different when they're test levels are low due to opiates instead of high due to exogenous test or steroids? If that is too subjective I apologize, although I never stated it as fact...

After I got sober I worked out and took supps lilke Superdrol, Epistane, and Hdrol just to get me on the same level as someone who never abused opiates. I'm on MMT now after a 1 year relapse and just ordered some Sdrol because I "feel" like my test is low every time I try to work out.

What the fuck bro? Superdrol and Epistaine are steroids. Actual steroids. Halodrol is a prohormone. None of them raise your testosterone levels, they only lower it and shutdown your HPTA only further. Not only that, those steroids are oral, 17a orals. That means they are hard on the liver. You have done untold damage to your HPTA and your liver. Stop doing what your doing immediately.

I think saying one must take test with Epi or Sdrol is wrong. Combining test with those is more dangerous than taking either on their own. I do not believe taking Epi / Sdrol without Test is worthless/dangerous/inefficient.

You are wrong bro. You have to. Or else your natural Testosterone will lower to near zero. Testosterone is a base for any successful cycle.

Taking Epistaine and Superdrol by themselves is worthless, dangerous, and inefficient. You can only run them for 4-6 weeks max because they are highly liver toxic and your Testosterone levels plummet leaving you fatigued and feeling shitty.

You need to cut the shit and listen to what is stated by the experienced members of this forum or at the very least do the research yourself. Your balls must be atrophied and your Test levels barely high enough to maintain sexual function and day to day energy, and it's only a matter of time before you start pissing rust colored urine and shitting bile.

Last edited:
Lastly, I KNOW that opiates lowered my test levels. This is scientific fact. Bit since I never had bloodwork done I said "feel". Also Many people feel different when they are on Test/steroids...why can't someone feel different when they're test levels are low due to opiates instead of high due to exogenous test or steroids? If that is too subjective I apologize, although I never stated it as fact...

I bet your Testosterone levels were fine. They return to normal after being off opiates for a bit. You probably had no drive to workout because you were experiencing post acute withdrawal symptoms. You can't know your Test levels are low until you get bloodwork done.

I bet money on your Testosterone levels being dog shit now from all the fucking Superdrol and Epistaine you shoved down your maw from being misinformed.

I think Sdrol is actually a prohormone not a steroid, might be wrong tho.
Might be wrong? You ARE wrong.
I think saying one must take test with Epi or Sdrol is wrong. Combining test with those is more dangerous than taking either on their own. I do not believe taking Epi / Sdrol without Test is worthless/dangerous
Lol. Wrong for the 2nd time. Thank you, come again.

My post wasn't rude at all. It gave you all the hard facts down to the letter. I just think you are the worst type of person, that's all. Why should your physical ability be equal to mine when I'm smart and I don't treat my body like a garbage can? Drug addicts always think the world owes them something. Like it's some big accomplishment, getting off of dope. Some huge conquered feat to be proud of, when you shouldn't have been addicted in the very first place.

Last edited:
Hey Guido...why didn't you jump in to tell the OP his test levels were fine then? I apologize for being misinformed, didn't realize I was offending people...but the OP was asking about his test levels post MMT, why were mine ok and his low? Why didn't you offer him your sage wisdom but instead thought it better to respond to my comment alone?

I I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected, but if your a Moderator, at least help the people who are asking the initial question and don't just jump in to point out peoples mistakes in a snarky way.

Drug addicts always think the world owes them something. Like it's some big accomplishment, getting off of dope. Some huge conquered feat to be proud of, when you shouldn't have been addicted in the very first place.

Getting addicted to heroin isn't the drug's fault it's the person's fault. Getting off dope isn't a fucking accomplishment as well, I agree. I got on Methadone and decided I don't want to do heroin anymore even though my original plan was to get on Methadone so I would have a way to avoid being sick when I couldn't get dope.

When you want to stop, you stop. Yes, it's a bitch but what man can do, another man can do as well. It's a great step to take in living a healthy life but it ain't a divine event.

Hey Guido...why didn't you jump in to tell the OP his test levels were fine then? I apologize for being misinformed, didn't realize I was offending people...but the OP was asking about his test levels post MMT, why were mine ok and his low? Why didn't you offer him your sage wisdom but instead thought it better to respond to my comment alone?

I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected, but if your a Moderator, at least help the people who are asking the initial question and don't just jump in to point out peoples mistakes in a snarky way.

I jumped on your post because the primary mission of this website is harm-reduction and the safe use of drugs; Be they steroids or narcotics. Your post was more of a priority because you presented how you are rotting you liver and destroying your HTPA Axis. Nobody here wants to see someone get sick or hurt, not only out of concern for their health, but because doing stupid shit gives steroids a bad rap.

You didn't offend anyone, you just alarmed a lot of us with the misinformation you presented.

And snarky? Bro, the last thing you get in this forum is snarky. We tell it like it is. Straight up.

Last edited:
That health mandate passed the year I became disqualified for it. Totally lame. 8)

I don't exactly work a 'typical job,' as such I have no reportable income. I can qualify for "indigency," which should get me access to a hormone panel. That should take about a month or so, maybe longer. It's crappy care, but it's something.

I was hoping more to get some information from other people who have been addicted to methadone, who had suppressed T levels, and what the aftermath is/was.

I don't know if my T levels are low or not. I know they most definitely were while I was on MMT.

Thanks for the input, captain.

Methadone or any opiates for that matter can lower Testosterone levels. They return to normal eventually after discontinuing the opiate or tapering it to very low dose.

I am currently on Methadone and take 100mg a day. Test confirmed it had lowered my testosterone levels a bit but not by much, enough to warrant a small weekly prescription dose if I desired, but not not enough to really hinder my libido.

Everyone is different though. Some individuals in the program I go to have had their Test levels checked and they are average and on point. It all depends on body chemistry, metabolism, how long your addiction/maintenance/prescription period has lasted or is continuing, and the dosages.

Not only that your Testosterone levels fluctuate naturally. They are higher and lower during certain periods of the day. It's been proven that males experience a sort of "Period" in that during a part of the month their testosterone levels drop.

Guido, I'm confused, if taking something like Sdrol is so bad for you, why did you say you took 20mgs per day in your thread about what gear people are on?

And if its not detrimental to take if done responsibly, and if it causes some positive results (the reasons why you take it most likely) why is what I'm doing/did so aweful?

Guido, I'm confused, if taking something like Sdrol is so bad for you, why did you say you took 20mgs per day in your thread about what gear people are on?

And if its not detrimental to take if done responsibly, and if it causes some positive results (the reasons why you take it most likely) why is what I'm doing/did so aweful?

For one you lack a Testosterone base.

Two, S-drol should only be run for a few weeks.

It can only give long lasting positive effects with a test base, otherwise you're shutting down natural testosterone levels and causing liver damage for nothing. Without a test base you can say good bye to any "gains" you may see while running S-drol.

Don't get me wrong, A LOT of people (espcecially teenagers and college kids) make the mistake of running pro hormones or "oral only" cycles, because they're convenient, seem safe and the people lack the knowledge required to run a proper cycle.

Injection is necessary to running AAS. No question about it.

Man just shut the fuck up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.