View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Effects of Long Term DXM Usage - Personal Experience

WeedDxm

Bluelighter
I wanted to make this thread to show the community the dangers of abusing DXM long term. This is my personal story of what I've experienced from this drug.

Background Information: I used DXM for 6 months. I would usually trip on DXM twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I did doses of anywhere from 500mg to 1,200mg, usually combined with cannabis, and sometimes DPH. Below are the effects I have noticed. NOTE: These are the effects while I was sober.

Decreased Appetite - While using DXM, I noticed that I was hardly ever hungry, and I didn't eat as much as I use to.

Anxiety + Paranoia - I would often get scared at night, when it's dark. I was always afraid that something was in the dark, and it was going to get me. When using DXM, the paranoia and anxiety would go away, so near the end of my DXM usage, I would use the DXM simply to make these bad feelings go away. It really was pointless.

Psychosis - This happened about 3 or 4 times. I was trying to fall asleep at night, and when I closed my eyes, my mind went crazy. It's very hard to explain, it's like you don't feel like you're actually there. I couldn't control my thoughts or anything. When I opened my eyes, the feeling went away. On the last occasion this happened, I actually had auditory hallucinations aswell. I could hear a little girl saying "hello", even though there was no one there. This scared me A LOT, and is one of the biggest reasons that I quit.

Mild HPPD - I would always see things in my peripheral vision that weren't actually there. Usually I would see a person walking towards me in my peripheral vision, when no one was there. I would see random other things as well.

Liver Damage - If you are extracting DXM, you probably won't have to worry about this. If you are chugging cough syrup or popping pills, then you will most definatly have liver damage from this.

Twitching - After using DXM for a while, my hands would always become twitchy. I could not stop this, no matter how hard I tried. It would be awkward when I had to use my hands around other people, such as giving cash to a cashier, since my hands were so twitchy.

Minor Decrease in Motor Skills - It was hard for me to walk normal. Kind of like when you're 'robo-walking', but it's not quite that bad. I would walk a lot more stiffly, and awkwardly.

Decrease in Quality of Sleep - It would often take me a lot longer to fall asleep, and I would often wake up in the middle of the night for no reason. I never use to do this. I would also sleep a lot longer, and no matter how much sleep I got, I would always be tired and groggy in the morning.

Tolerance - I didn't notice a huge increase in tolerance for me, but for sure it was noticeable. It would take more DXM for me to get the same effect. Also, the more I used DXM, the less I would remember of my trips, which made them kind of pointless. Another thing to note is that the more I used DXM, the harder it was for me to drink nasty syrup, or eat pills.

Addiction - While DXM wasn't physically addicting at all, it was definatly mentally addicting. Like I said above, near the end of my usage, I would just use the DXM to not have paranoia and anxiety for a few hours. This was pointless, since the paranoia and anxiety was caused by the DXM in the first place. It's a never-ending spiral.

There are more negative side effects that I've noticed, but I am just putting this together quickly. I will add more if I can think of them.

I have been clean from DXM usage for 4 days now, and I am going to stop for at least a few months. If I do start using again, I won't be using nearly as much as what I have in the past.

One important thing I forgot to add:

Short Term Memory Loss - I would always forget where I put stuff, it was hard to study and remember things for school, etc.

Thanks for posting this, WeedDxm. Of the side effects you mentioned, I've experienced these:

Decreased Appetite - While on DXM, food just doesn't seem very appetizing or necessary, but I force myself to eat something anyway.

Twitching - I haven't experienced it quite like you described. What I get is a sudden jolt when falling asleep. Feels pretty scary, but it isn't persistent.

Addiction - More like dependency in my case. If I don't take DXM "on time," I'll start getting brain zaps. Let us know if you start getting them too. (Because of the high doses you were taking it may take a few more days to manifest, though I hope it doesn't.)

I've probably been having fewer side effects because I've been taking much lower doses than you have (a standard dose of 60 mg every 2 days; a tripping dose of 120-400 mg every 2-3 weeks).

I believe the brain zaps are related to DXM's serotonin reuptake inhibiting properties. They're a common symptom of SSRI discontinuation syndrome. By continuing to take DXM you're only prolonging the symptoms. Stop using the 120-400 mg doses all together and take 10 mg less every time you would take 60 mg until your not taking any and the brain zaps should abate or at least be minimized.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, WeedDxm. Of the side effects you mentioned, I've experienced these:

Decreased Appetite - While on DXM, food just doesn't seem very appetizing or necessary, but I force myself to eat something anyway.

Twitching - I haven't experienced it quite like you described. What I get is a sudden jolt when falling asleep. Feels pretty scary, but it isn't persistent.

Addiction - More like dependency in my case. If I don't take DXM "on time," I'll start getting brain zaps. Let us know if you start getting them too. (Because of the high doses you were taking it may take a few more days to manifest, though I hope it doesn't.)

I've probably been having fewer side effects because I've been taking much lower doses than you have (a standard dose of 60 mg every 2 days; a tripping dose of 120-400 mg every 2-3 weeks).

I kind of get brain jolts like you explained too, I just didn't know how to explain them better. It's pretty scary for me, but, thank god, it's only lasts a few minutes.

I believe the brain zaps are related to DXM's serotonin reuptake inhibiting properties. They're a common symptom of SSRI discontinuation syndrome. By continuing to take DXM you're only prolonging the symptoms. Stop using the 120-400 mg doses all together and take 10 mg less every time you would take 60 mg until your not taking any and the brain zaps should abate or at least be minimized.

Yeah, the brain zaps are most definitely caused by DXM's SSRI properties; they feel identical to the ones I had when coming off of lexapro and effexor.

How can you be sure that reducing the dosage by 10 mg is a good tapering strategy? I've been on DXM since late Spring (northern hemisphere), so I can't see getting off the stuff in under 2 weeks, not without a lot of discomfort anyway.

Last edited:
I kind of get brain jolts like you explained too, I just didn't know how to explain them better. It's pretty scary for me, but, thank god, it's only lasts a few minutes.

Wait, which effect are you referring to? The brain zaps, or the sudden jolt when falling asleep? They might be related somehow, but I'm not sure. In the B&D MXE thread, some people were reporting a similar effect when overdoing the stuff. They would start to fall asleep, but then find themselves reawakened and in a confused state. It sounded like it was much worse than what I experience with DXM, as the confusion lasted much longer (for me it's only a brief confusion that clears up if I move and open my eyes).

ive never really felt too many side effect from long term use of heavy dxm. i used to do it pretty heavy for a few months, and i had no addiction, or adverse effects during, and after using it. in fact i stil do it on occasion. i unerstand everyone is differnet, but honestly i think most of those side effects you had were from dph.

that shit can fuck you up

Yeah, the brain zaps are most definitely caused by DXM's SSRI properties; they feel identical to the ones I had when coming off of lexapro and effexor.

How can you be sure that reducing the dosage by 10 mg is a good tapering strategy? I've been on DXM since late Spring (northern hemisphere), so I can't see getting off the stuff in under 2 weeks, not without a lot of discomfort anyway.
I can't be sure, but I think tappering would get you off it without too much discomfort. It's better than being dependent. I had a stint years ago where I combined DXM and ondansetron. It was a very special experience for me, and I overdid it. I ended up with brain zaps, and like you, noticed small doses were enough to prevent them for a couple days. I decided to do one more low brain zap preventing dose at a reduced level, then half that, then abstain. The brain zaps did come back but not as frequently and only for a day or two, then stopped entirely. I had only been dosing twice a week for a few months before that, though -- the most I'd ever done DXM -- so it was not for as long or as frequently as you have been using. Still, I imagine a longer tapper would work fine for you. I don't think DXM is as bad as Effexor so far as discontinuation is concerned.

Last edited:
Wait, which effect are you referring to? The brain zaps, or the sudden jolt when falling asleep? They might be related somehow, but I'm not sure. In the B&D MXE thread, some people were reporting a similar effect when overdoing the stuff. They would start to fall asleep, but then find themselves reawakened and in a confused state. It sounded like it was much worse than what I experience with DXM, as the confusion lasted much longer (for me it's only a brief confusion that clears up if I move and open my eyes).

What I experienced was that when I closed my eyes when I was trying to fall asleep, my mind would go psycho. It kind of felt like my body was being jerked around, and my body kept getting reduced in size until I simply wasn't there. It's pretty much impossible to explain.. But yeah

ive never really felt too many side effect from long term use of heavy dxm. i used to do it pretty heavy for a few months, and i had no addiction, or adverse effects during, and after using it. in fact i stil do it on occasion. i unerstand everyone is differnet, but honestly i think most of those side effects you had were from dph.

that shit can fuck you up

I didn't use DPH that much, maybe once every 5 trips IF THAT. And I would never go over 300mg. So I don't think it could be from the DPH.

UPDATE: I have finally folded :/. I drank one bottle of Robitussin (354mg) today, which is not very much for me. I have been under a lot of stress lately, and needed to relax. Also, for the last few days, I have been feeling out of it. It's like I'm on a dose of around 200mg DXM 24/7. I don't know if this is withdrawal or whatever, but it's getting to be annoying. I plan to use DXM a lot less, and lower doses now.

I can't be sure, but I think tappering would get you off it without too much discomfort. It's better than being dependent. I had a stint years ago where I combined DXM and ondansetron. It was a very special experience for me, and I overdid it. I ended up with brain zaps, and like you, noticed small doses were enough to prevent them for a couple days. I decided to do one more low brain zap preventing dose at a reduced level, then half that, then abstain. The brain zaps did come back but not as frequently and only for a day or two, then stopped entirely. I had only been dosing twice a week for a few months before that, though -- the most I'd ever done DXM -- so it was not for as long or as frequently as you have been using. Still, I imagine a longer tapper would work fine for you. I don't think DXM is as bad as Effexor so far as discontinuation is concerned.

OK, I started the tapering process a few days ago, using approximately 5 mg less every two days. No problems so far. I'll try to keep everyone updated, as I'm sure there will be somebody who'll be glad to have that info... someday. Thanks for your input, psood0nym.

What I experienced was that when I closed my eyes when I was trying to fall asleep, my mind would go psycho. It kind of felt like my body was being jerked around, and my body kept getting reduced in size until I simply wasn't there. It's pretty much impossible to explain.. But yeah

That sounds similar to what I have been experiencing. There seems to be some sort of danger of "losing myself" in that state... like if I allow it to go on, I might not come back. My body always reacts automatically, jerking me awake as a sort of defensive response. Deep down I'm afraid to let it continue, but I'm not sure it's actually dangerous.

This seems to be why a lot of people are afraid to fall asleep on DXM, although not everyone has reported actually trying to do so.

UPDATE: I have finally folded :/. I drank one bottle of Robitussin (354mg) today, which is not very much for me. I have been under a lot of stress lately, and needed to relax. Also, for the last few days, I have been feeling out of it. It's like I'm on a dose of around 200mg DXM 24/7. I don't know if this is withdrawal or whatever, but it's getting to be annoying. I plan to use DXM a lot less, and lower doses now.

That didn't take long :\ It happens, though. Just be glad it's DXM you're hooked on, and not a more "serious" drug :)

That didn't take long :\ It happens, though. Just be glad it's DXM you're hooked on, and not a more "serious" drug :)

I don't think that I'm quite ready to quit yet. I have been craving DXM less lately though, so that's a good sign. I'm very lucky to be hooked on DXM, and not something much more harmful, such as Meth or Heroin.

I don't think that I'm quite ready to quit yet.

I know the feeling. Doesn't help that it's such a versatile drug! I've been using it for more than just one personal problem, as well as tripping for the sake tripping, and to enhance the weed high. Just be lucky you aren't getting brain zaps (you aren't, right?).

I hope everything goes well for you tonight. I'll be on-and-off the 'net for about 7 more hours, so you can PM me if you like.

In other news... I've tapered down to approximately 24 mg. So far, so good; reducing the dosage by 5-10 mg every two days seems to be working.

Update: It took me about 16 days to taper down from 60 mg DXM (every two days) to 0 mg. I skipped the last dose, which would have only amounted to around 6 mg anyways. I suffered only minor brain zaps during this time, and the days following. Nothing like what it would have been, had I quit cold-turkey. The zaps are now almost entirely absent, with the exception of an occasional rushing sound in my ears while half-asleep, or the feeling in my mind prior to having an actual brain zap.

Thanks for your encouragement, psood0nym! I guess it was what I needed to finally get off my regimen :)

Now I'm wondering how long I will have to wait before tripping on DXM again. While my DXM-as-a-thrice-weekly-antidepressant days are over, I will still be using it for the occasional trip. My guess is another two weeks ought to do it...

To the op. I think you're mistaking psychosis for sleep paralysis where auditory hallucinations are very common. I get it gauranteed when on opiate/opioids.

To the op. I think you're mistaking psychosis for sleep paralysis where auditory hallucinations are very common. I get it gauranteed when on opiate/opioids.

I don't think so. When these outbreaks happen, I am fully awake and in tact. It happens before I fall asleep. Anyways, I haven't had any of these outbreaks in a few months so that is a good thing. I still don't really understand what they mean or why I got them, as it only happened to me 2-3 times within a few months.

UPDATE:

I noticed that I have been having very weird dreams lately. They are very real and vivid, and usually they are not good dreams. It usually involves violence or me getting into big trouble. I never use to get dreams like this. I have been waking up in the middle of the night after having these dreams sometimes, which I NEVER use to do.