• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Efexor (effexor, veniafaxine) - full on phenethylamine

superponce

Bluelighter
Yo,

I hope this is the right forum, it was either here or 'other drugs', but I am more interested in the pharmacology than anything else...

A few weeks ago, on the pavement, I found four (and took one) venlafaxine HCl pills (37.5mg), and I have to say it was quite similar to taking a pill without every fully coming up. All in all pretty intense to the point of lying down and breathing hard for some of it. An enormous variety of drugs have passed through my system, but none in the last 6 months and hardly any for a year, so I'm a pretty clean guinea pig. I had had one beer...

Is it just me who has ever had this rather profound effect from this stuff? I could as much imagine taking this daily as eating 80mg of MDMA daily... Can't be good for people.

On looking at the structure, there are (possible) elements of desoxypipradol and pma here, I wonder what desoxyvenlafaxine would be like? As in without the alcohol group??

I have no intention of using it for depression, but once in a blue moon I may take one and go out on the town...

Last edited:
i have taken it once, 75mg xr, & got nothing but medium ssri - like effect... nothing similar to any type of phenethylamine stimulant, nor to tramadol for me. even seroxat felt kinda 'stronger' from one-time ingestion than that...

another regular antidepressant no less no more...

i used it after one months of sobriety after quitting benzo & opiates addiction.

I believe it is technically a phenethylamine, but I also believe that it is just you who would have such a reaction. My experience with effexor was nothing but side-effects and increased depression - and my starting dose was double the usual (70mg or so)

ps. Don't eat pills you found on the pavement!!

superponce said:
Yo,

Is it just me who has ever had this rather profound effect from this stuff? I could as much imagine taking this daily as eating 80mg of MDMA daily... Can't be good for people.

I was on 225mg of effexor for about a year, i didn't experience the same effects as you. It seemed to work on my depression for a while but left me feeling totally flat and emotionless... had really bad withdrawal symptoms too :)

It was my understanding venlafaxine produced a stimulation qualitatively similar in nature to tramadol. Also, it is probably not much of a dopamine reuptake inhibitor...

Jamshyd said:

ps. Don't eat pills you found on the pavement!!
Do I really need to QFT?

I had an 8 month run on Effexor at the age of 16. Probably one of the worst drugs I've ever taken. I experienced sweating, dry mouth, abnormal vision, nervousness, insomnia (horrible), loss of appetite, constipation, confusion, agitation, tremors, yawning, palpitations, and increased cholesterol. The anti-depressant effects are subtle at first, leading to placebo (since your looking for ANY change in your depressed state, it seems as though its working). They also like to up the dose any chance they get, they had me at 600mg a day towards the end. It was a living nightmare and I almost stabbed the doctor in the face with a letter opener for being so deceptive. Just my personal account with them.

I won't even begin to get into the withdrawal process, far worse than any benzo/cocaine/opiate withdrawal (by far) I've ever experienced.

I'm pretty sure their poison.

negrogesic said:
It was my understanding venlafaxine produced a stimulation qualitatively similar in nature to tramadol. Also, it is probably not much of a dopamine reuptake inhibitor...

I've taken both, and in my subjective experience, their nothing at all alike. Whatsoever.

^dam man that sux that really does sound like an extreme dosage/age group to have such a powerful drug in your system

I just quit a 1 month run on venlafaxine (150mg) basically realised I was packing on the pounds without changing much, maybe ate a little more Im not sure, but that was enough for me to stop it, side affects not worth the positives for me. Basically found it to be slightly more stimulating and slightly more effective at controlling anxiety than SSRI (sertraline) which isnt a bad double however it wasnt a large difference really and was at the expense of mood to a degree (and my waistline :()

So basically PM me to purchase my remaining pills (jks) :p

This is why i said "my understanding", given that I have never taken the drug, the comment was based on what i had heard from other people...

Velafaxine is serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) which has a bit of dopamine reuptake inhibition too i its effects.

When I first took several -- I got those from one friend who used serotonergic depression drugs quite recreationally (if that is possible), but irresponsibly -- and got very good feeling, though hellish headache. I mean, I felt good as primary effects, about half an hour after ingestion. I liked it, but not that headache!

Only afterwards I found out its unwanted side-effects and didn't like venlafaxine ever since...

Well, it looks somewhat interesting, very very distantly cocaine like molecule.

I'm actually the gf of this account holder, but I wanted to add that I, too, want to hurt my dr for not telling me all about the side effects and withdrawl symptoms. He was very misleading and sold me on it right away since I knew nothing about depression.
I was put on Effexor XR 4 months postpartum. I've been taking it for 6 years and I am still depressed. It was great the first year or two, but slowly I sank back into depression. If I tell my dr this he wants to up my dose and/or add new meds to the mix, like Geodon, which knocked me out 23 hours out of the day.
Sometimes, due to insurance reasons or cause the dr. wants me to come in and pay him more money, I dont have my dose for a day or two and seriously, I have to hide from the rest of the world. I get brain zaps, I shake, Im cold, I throw up, diarrhea, and I'm a raging bitch. The dr didnt tell me shit about withdrawl symptoms. He just saw dollar signs when he saw me. I think its really unfair and should be against the law to give a patient something without fully explaining to them the side effects, withdrawl symptoms, or that they may have to remain on the medication for life (since personally, I dont think I would be able to wean myself off, even with the help of a dr, and live with the symptoms for weeks. I cant even handle a few days before I start thinking of offing myself because of the pain and mental fucking that goes on). I feel he was neglegent and only thought about drug rep kick backs and money in his pocket. He wasnt thinking of how he could help my depression, he saw me as source of income. He could sugar coat everything, tell me I would feel better and could live a normal life and wean off when I felt I didnt need them anymore. Thing is, I need them more than I want to admit. I have never been an "addict" even tho I am a recreational drug user. I have never had to deal with any type of withdrawl until Effexor and if it werent for my greedy ass doctor who could have put me on something along the lines of Prozac or Zoloft, which isnt as addictive as Effexor, I wouldnt have to deal with any of the shit that Effexor causes. And that what it is. An addiction to an anti-depressant. My dr knowingly and willingly made me an addict. An addict that needs a stupid orange/brown pill everyday of my life, and it doesnt even get me high! I feel I should be able to sue him and his practice. I have to take this drug everyday or Im sick, so sick that I want to die and he's able to keep writing prescriptions everyday for this life ruiner.

you're dependent, not an addict.

And 6 years ago this wasn't well known at all. It's not that well known today, to be honest.

Filthy: you should be able to taper down without too much of a problem. For example, going down 12.5mg every 2 weeks, depending on your current dosage, should produce relatively little withdrawal (im sure some however). You could try to offset the withdrawal with another drug, but it doesnt sound like you want to do this (especially if your not truly depressed). Some of these physicians simply can't help being so stupid, though that is not a good excuse...

Last edited:
Sometimes I have taken it and gotton very little effects.

One time I started a course on it after having taken nothing prior for several months and also got a profound effect for a few days of minimal doses until tolerance kicked in.

It's the noradrenergic effects that make this an interesting drug.

I dont find pure SSRIs interesting drugs at all, but that is not to say that antidepressants dont have the potential to be considered interesting.

I went from being on 225mg per day to 0mg per day one time and the crash is interesting to say the least.

You realize that guy Paul Carlier at Virginia Tech is the guy to see if you fancy something dopaminergic out of this class of drugs. For the past 15 years he's been trying to develop the Effexor branch of medications from something predominantly 5-HTergic into something with a more mixed mode of activity across the monoaminergic class of receptors. Only time will tell if these turn out to be interesting drugs on humans and not just on homogenized brains.
PRC.gif

ye seems the noradrenaline side is the stronger or more likely to give more immediate effects, Im gonna be trying some reboxetine (noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor) soon also, may be interesting to compare

im kinda interested in this atm, the difference in effects from a single SNRI like venlafaxine compared to a SSRI coupled with an NARI,(ie an SNRI effectively just in two substances rather than one) eg venlafaxine vs sertraline & reboxetine

I found reboxetine to be by far the most effective antidepressant I've ever taken, shits all over SSRIs. Does stop you sleeping though.

Ironically the second best antidepressant (for me anyway) was sibutramine, which isn't even indicated for depression at all! But it is pretty similar in action to venlafaxine I believe, both SNRIs except sibutramine mainly affects noradrenaline whereas venlafaxine mainly affects serotonin. I'd be interested to try venlafaxine but I suspect it would have too much serotonergic action for my liking, as I hated all the SSRIs I've tried.