• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Eating like a maniac from Xanax

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
I really need to quit this crap because it’s making my appetite perk up. Every time I pop the recommended daily dose of Xanax, I eat like a horse and I just pack in the pounds.

Therefore, if you are on Xanax, does it make you hungry at all? Just curious.

lots of people report getting the munchies from benzos. ativan is used to help chemo patients eat.

personally, benzos do not cause me problems with excessive appetite. mirtazapine and marijuana are the drugs that make me binge eat.

I used to take three 2 mg Xanax bars per day, by legitimate prescription, for anxiety. Made me want to eat everything in sight.

Same here. I always know its working when I start daydreaming about extravagant kitchen projects. Sometimes I take it for sleep and end up getting up in the middle of the night to do something random like trying to make whip cream from milk. Then I forget and am confused the next day when I find a bowl of milk in the fridge.

Same here. I always know its working when I start daydreaming about extravagant kitchen projects. Sometimes I take it for sleep and end up getting up in the middle of the night to do something random like trying to make whip cream from milk. Then I forget and am confused the next day when I find a bowl of milk in the fridge.

I have had similar experiences. Woke up one morning after taking a bit more than my usual bedtime dose. I did 6 mg intranasal one night (I know people say it's stupid to snort benzos, but it works great for me) and I found a fully prepared Kraft Macaroni and Cheese dinner in the fridge, no memory of having made it. The dirty dishes were in the sink to prove it. Stove was turned off, and everything was safely stored away, just as it should be. I was a bit taken aback by the whole episode, though. Made me think twice about snorting high doses all at once.

I don't do benzos often enough to notice this too much but it's certainly happened to me on Phenibut. It can be a good thing if you're trying to bulk up but if you're trying to lose weight then the benzos certainly aren't going to help.

Last edited:
It's normal man dose it to me everytime and everyone else I know. I took 1.5mg a couple of hours ago and I just got done scarfing down PB&J with globs of peanut butter on it, cookies, chips, and all the other bad shit I told myself I wouldn't eat anymore. This is why I can not use xanax as an effective sleep aide anymore. I will stay awake for 30 minutes after taking it, get up with the munchies, eat, eat, eat while zoning out on a screen. I try to read books but it's useless. I just forget everything by the next morning.

After that 2 hours of munchies and zoning out finish it's starting to wear off and I'm still not asleep. I end up laying in bed for hours just enjoying having no stress for once. Soon the sun is up and I have to get up to. I have a sluggish next day and by mid-day I'm rebounding from the effects. Anxiety comes back stronger than before and any little thing will set me off. I'm miserable all day until night comes. If I don't find sleep within a couple of hours I take some more xanax and do it all over again.

I much prefer Valium. I want to try some of the more potent hypnotic benzos but I never got access to them. I know they're easy to get now but I fear stocking up on a large supply of them especially powder. With benzos I have a bad habit of taking one then another an hour or so later. Next thing I know it's 1-2 days later, all the pills are gone, the wallet has no money in it, all my pot is gone, and I have no idea why I'm in someone else's bed. I haven't done that in a long time but I was very prone to it back in the day.

My friends all say I'm the nicest blacked out friend ever. They say I'm not trouble at all to get walking or laid down to sleep. They say the pills get given away, I smoke all my pot with all of them, I refuse to drive myself and pay my best friend $20 to be our taxi driver, I insist on buying us all lunch and dinner, and I'm apparently an awesome people person that actually cares. They've never taken me for to big of a ride. They said they've talked me out of emptying the ATM to pay for the road trip so we can do the French Quarter, festivals, concerts, go-kart tracks, or the Georgia Guidestones many time. I guess when I'm barred out I don't give a shit about money anymore and want to knock stuff off my to-do list with friends.

They say it's like a total 180 from my usual reserved and quiet persona. I guess when the social anxiety melts away the no fucks given part of me comes out. I'm just happy I'm not a mean drunk or pill head. I can't stand people that black out and turn into assholes.

I really need to quit this crap because it’s making my appetite perk up. Every time I pop the recommended daily dose of Xanax, I eat like a horse and I just pack in the pounds.

they sure increase my appetite, i dont eat much these days, lots of rabbit food when i force feed self, but if i take xanax , i can eat very well, even food im not so fond of, whew yeah munchie city
Hungry Feed Me GIF

I read that a lot of people who are going through withdrawals, lost a ton of weight.

I’m now going through a taper, and even the minimum amount makes me eat. Hopefully when I’m all clean, I can get back to my normal weight.

Sometimes benzos gives this weird effect.Weight gain is also possible.

I have an alternate theory on this issue when it comes to weight gain and benzodiazepines and anti-depressants. And it's just come to the fore oddly enough i.e. discovered with shock and horror the other day I've picked up 10kg in just over six weeks (exactly the same time as I started taking Fluoexetine again). If you look at the side-effects of some of this shit: different people are affected differently e.g. appetite or loss thereof and weight gain/loss usually in the list of POSSIBLE side-effects.

But it got me to wondering: is it the pharmaceuticals themselves or is it because these things slow you down i.e. less energy. And maybe: your body tries to compensate for this somehow i.e. food = energy no? Dunno. Just a thought. Because in my case: nothing else changed i.e. no diet change or anything like that. Just got so "flat" that everything became an effort and took twice as long to get done so wasn't quite as active as I was usually.

I have an alternate theory on this issue when it comes to weight gain and benzodiazepines and anti-depressants. And it's just come to the fore oddly enough i.e. discovered with shock and horror the other day I've picked up 10kg in just over six weeks (exactly the same time as I started taking Fluoexetine again). If you look at the side-effects of some of this shit: different people are affected differently e.g. appetite or loss thereof and weight gain/loss usually in the list of POSSIBLE side-effects.

But it got me to wondering: is it the pharmaceuticals themselves or is it because these things slow you down i.e. less energy. And maybe: your body tries to compensate for this somehow i.e. food = energy no? Dunno. Just a thought. Because in my case: nothing else changed i.e. no diet change or anything like that. Just got so "flat" that everything became an effort and took twice as long to get done so wasn't quite as active as I was usually.
Yeah idk I've always been a really skinny guy. but the last year being on 16mg of suboxone plus xanax sometimes and having a pretty sedentary life.. I've gained like 25 pounds and I have a gut for the first time in my life its really freaked me out. I assume the downers must have something to do with it.

It's normal man dose it to me everytime and everyone else I know. I took 1.5mg a couple of hours ago and I just got done scarfing down PB&J with globs of peanut butter on it, cookies, chips, and all the other bad shit I told myself I wouldn't eat anymore. This is why I can not use xanax as an effective sleep aide anymore. I will stay awake for 30 minutes after taking it, get up with the munchies, eat, eat, eat while zoning out on a screen. I try to read books but it's useless. I just forget everything by the next morning.

After that 2 hours of munchies and zoning out finish it's starting to wear off and I'm still not asleep. I end up laying in bed for hours just enjoying having no stress for once. Soon the sun is up and I have to get up to. I have a sluggish next day and by mid-day I'm rebounding from the effects. Anxiety comes back stronger than before and any little thing will set me off. I'm miserable all day until night comes. If I don't find sleep within a couple of hours I take some more xanax and do it all over again.

I much prefer Valium. I want to try some of the more potent hypnotic benzos but I never got access to them. I know they're easy to get now but I fear stocking up on a large supply of them especially powder. With benzos I have a bad habit of taking one then another an hour or so later. Next thing I know it's 1-2 days later, all the pills are gone, the wallet has no money in it, all my pot is gone, and I have no idea why I'm in someone else's bed. I haven't done that in a long time but I was very prone to it back in the day.

My friends all say I'm the nicest blacked out friend ever. They say I'm not trouble at all to get walking or laid down to sleep. They say the pills get given away, I smoke all my pot with all of them, I refuse to drive myself and pay my best friend $20 to be our taxi driver, I insist on buying us all lunch and dinner, and I'm apparently an awesome people person that actually cares. They've never taken me for to big of a ride. They said they've talked me out of emptying the ATM to pay for the road trip so we can do the French Quarter, festivals, concerts, go-kart tracks, or the Georgia Guidestones many time. I guess when I'm barred out I don't give a shit about money anymore and want to knock stuff off my to-do list with friends.

They say it's like a total 180 from my usual reserved and quiet persona. I guess when the social anxiety melts away the no fucks given part of me comes out. I'm just happy I'm not a mean drunk or pill head. I can't stand people that black out and turn into assholes.
Have you tried taking sleep meds other than xanax some nights? Lately I've been doing seroquel, seroquel, xanax and repeat. It sucks to need sleep aids every night but at least I'm not addicted to benzos and I still get that stress relief twice a week.

Have you tried taking sleep meds other than xanax some nights? Lately I've been doing seroquel, seroquel, xanax and repeat. It sucks to need sleep aids every night but at least I'm not addicted to benzos and I still get that stress relief twice a week.
Yep. A half a tablet of Zopiclone every night (3.75mg). And there's another thing I've noticed. Started out taking one tablet (7.5mg) last year at night. Fucking the worst of the worst hangovers for most of the next day. Then started waking up at night and not being able to fall asleep so in my infinite wisdom (my usual and default course of action) well just double up. Not a fuck. That damn near pushed me over the edge. That is evil shit. Far worse than Alprazolam. I'll take Alprazolam withdrawal any day of the week before going through that again. But nah. I'm now down to 0.25mg Alprazolam late afternoon/early evening and that 3.75mg of Zopiclone at night before bed. After this I'm done with this shit. And yet another thing I've noticed: this time around I could feel the effects of a mere taper reduction of Alprazolam of 0.25mg. Certainly didn't expect that. Not after ONLY two years and an absolute maximum per day of 2mg. That's not like me for sure. When I was prescribed this shit all those years ago I took it down in 0.5mg increments per week and felt just about fuck all (but then I was having a few drinks now and then which I'm damn sure made all of the difference). Anyway. Point is: down at these low doses I for sure am feeling a lot better in all ways. Probably difficult and disingenuous to try pin it down to just one thing e.g. the Fluoxetine. Although that's also not on the mark. The moment I decided to dispense with the Fluoxetine this time around there was a marked difference within days. And curiously: the only reason I started to suspect Fluoxetine was because one fine day I just happened to be scrolling through some of these sites that I spend my life on and happened to notice that a possible side-effect of Fluoxetine is itching. Never had that before. And for damn sure have never had allergies or any shit like that in my life nor any odd itches and rashes and scratches. Were it not for that little nugget I'd probably have never suspected anything was awry. But one thing is for sure: I've a new found respect for half lives, drug interactions, and side-effects. So from that point of view: all good I guess and not a total waste of time and energy. Fortunately something I've always had a keen interest in otherwise I'd probably be fuck pissed off!

I have been on everything off-label they will prescribe for sleep. We'd be here all day if I named it all. At this point the only things I haven't been prescribed are some of the more hypnotic/potent benzos and GHB. I'd give anything for a doctor to prescribe me Xyrem. I've never seen one in real life, never heard of someone getting it through a doctor either but I know it's legal as a last line medication.

I suffer from really bad insomnia and non-24 hour sleep cycles. I've lived with it for all of my adult life. To maintain a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift schedule forces me to live in constant jet lag and miss nights of sleep weekly. My week looks something like this when I have a regular gig:
-wake up at 1pm
-"morning" routine
-report to work at 4pm
-do my shift
-get off work at 12-2am
-unwind
-try to sleep
-if sleep wake up at 3-4pm (I slipped an hour, see?)
-repeat
-probably don't sleep this night
-stay up all the way until 4pm (unable to nap)
-do my work shift
-come home and pass out without a shower and/or be unable to sleep again

and it goes on and on. Sometimes I'm up 3 days in a row trying to get to Friday. Then I sleep a lot and miss all of Saturday. I do my laundry and stuff Sunday and maybe get to watch a couple of hours of TV with the family. Then I repeat it the next week. Often unable to sleep Sunday night because I slept so much the night before.

When I don't have a work schedule like that I get into a free-running sleep cycle. I need to keep a journal and track it better. I do this thing where I stay up for 36-48 hours. Then I sleep for 16 hours. If I am sleeping every night somehow the time I fall asleep keeps getting push backed. It'll look something like: 9pm -> 11pm -> 3am -> 6am ->10am with waking the same delayed set of hours. My brain has no concept of the sun meaning it's time to be awake. Nor am I true night owl.

As you can imagine this makes it very difficult to interact with family, friends, work and make appointments. I can not schedule an appointment far in advance and ever know if I'll be fresh for it. It's a total gamble with where my cycle is on that particular week/day. I also have a big problem sometimes with staying asleep. I'll have been up say 40 hours. I'll be dead tired and pass out quickly. Then I'll wake up 6 hours later and feel so amped up I can't go back to sleep. This usually leads to another 24 hours of being awake.

I figured it up one time and I've been awake longer than the average person my age by a wide margin. It has actually gotten more stable as I've aged. It used to be so much worse...

Doctors do not take me serious despite family telling them it's true. They always throw some off-label antidepressant or seroquel-like medication at me. These do not work for me and cause me horrible side effects. I've got bottles and bottles of these SSRIs and antipsychotics all prescribed for sleep. The best I can get out of them is a weak xanax. When I first got injured they gave me blue xanax like candy and I rarely even took it. One of my asshole friends stole my bottle with 120 of them in it and I didn't even notice for weeks.

I really wish I knew what was wrong with me. I've had multiple CT scans done. I know my brain is broken somehow but none of the doctors seem interested in helping me. I am terrified that I might have CTE or will develop fatal insomnia.

Opiates make me hungry. Lols
Yeah well. YOU have no excuses. Coming from a country that produces the best appetite suppressant on the planet by the metric ton! I'll never get it i.e. somebody from South America pissing around with opioids! It's like a vegetarian going out for dinner to a restaurant that serves up Wagyu beef! :ROFLMAO:

Keep an eye on your weight ,blood sugar levels while taking seroquel

I have been on everything off-label they will prescribe for sleep. We'd be here all day if I named it all. At this point the only things I haven't been prescribed are some of the more hypnotic/potent benzos and GHB. I'd give anything for a doctor to prescribe me Xyrem. I've never seen one in real life, never heard of someone getting it through a doctor either but I know it's legal as a last line medication.

I suffer from really bad insomnia and non-24 hour sleep cycles. I've lived with it for all of my adult life. To maintain a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift schedule forces me to live in constant jet lag and miss nights of sleep weekly. My week looks something like this when I have a regular gig:
-wake up at 1pm
-"morning" routine
-report to work at 4pm
-do my shift
-get off work at 12-2am
-unwind
-try to sleep
-if sleep wake up at 3-4pm (I slipped an hour, see?)
-repeat
-probably don't sleep this night
-stay up all the way until 4pm (unable to nap)
-do my work shift
-come home and pass out without a shower and/or be unable to sleep again

and it goes on and on. Sometimes I'm up 3 days in a row trying to get to Friday. Then I sleep a lot and miss all of Saturday. I do my laundry and stuff Sunday and maybe get to watch a couple of hours of TV with the family. Then I repeat it the next week. Often unable to sleep Sunday night because I slept so much the night before.

When I don't have a work schedule like that I get into a free-running sleep cycle. I need to keep a journal and track it better. I do this thing where I stay up for 36-48 hours. Then I sleep for 16 hours. If I am sleeping every night somehow the time I fall asleep keeps getting push backed. It'll look something like: 9pm -> 11pm -> 3am -> 6am ->10am with waking the same delayed set of hours. My brain has no concept of the sun meaning it's time to be awake. Nor am I true night owl.

As you can imagine this makes it very difficult to interact with family, friends, work and make appointments. I can not schedule an appointment far in advance and ever know if I'll be fresh for it. It's a total gamble with where my cycle is on that particular week/day. I also have a big problem sometimes with staying asleep. I'll have been up say 40 hours. I'll be dead tired and pass out quickly. Then I'll wake up 6 hours later and feel so amped up I can't go back to sleep. This usually leads to another 24 hours of being awake.

I figured it up one time and I've been awake longer than the average person my age by a wide margin. It has actually gotten more stable as I've aged. It used to be so much worse...

Doctors do not take me serious despite family telling them it's true. They always throw some off-label antidepressant or seroquel-like medication at me. These do not work for me and cause me horrible side effects. I've got bottles and bottles of these SSRIs and antipsychotics all prescribed for sleep. The best I can get out of them is a weak xanax. When I first got injured they gave me blue xanax like candy and I rarely even took it. One of my asshole friends stole my bottle with 120 of them in it and I didn't even notice for weeks.

I really wish I knew what was wrong with me. I've had multiple CT scans done. I know my brain is broken somehow but none of the doctors seem interested in helping me. I am terrified that I might have CTE or will develop fatal insomnia.
That stuff if made by a company in Ireland called Jazz Pharmaceuticals. And they sponsor the site below. Just watch the promotional video when you're getting ready to sleep and you'll be out in no time (if it doesn't make you want to lose your lunch that is).

If the above doesn't work then just put on CSPAN or queue some Jen Psaki briefings on YouTube and you'll be nodding off before you know it! No meds. necessary! :ROFLMAO: