• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Eating cannabis more efficient than smoking? I can't get it to work..

^ Interesting.

I like to leave the buds soaking in the butter for up to 8 hours, but I always filter all my buds and don't bake with them and don't eat them (unless it's something like firecrackers). I guess there's a trade off somewhere?

At a low enough heat, the high won't be too sedating even after a long cooking time. But if you have a thermometer and know the temp, 40-45 minutes is definitely long enough to infuse that shit.

For some reason some Americans don't believe in it & argue against it working at all, despite never trying it. They insist on convoluted methods that result in a whole day's work for ineffective or weak edibles.

there is enough fat in the yogurt to activate your ingredients. ALso PG will do a full extract of most of the active ingredients if you want to make a vape juice or oral solution! AFAIK it works just as well as the IPA, edibles are dangerous I could see myself munching my way through an entire batch :lol:

:p

Last edited:
My current recipe

How much would you dose for some one with low tolerance? I'm used to using wasteful and sometimes irresponsibly high doses with edibles. Its not usually a problem but it would make sense to measure them out in a sensible fashion. I know the figure of 0.5 grams of weed has been stated but how much coconut oil is that going to be?

Try making a weed brownie? I am not sure if people have suggested it here, but that is one of the most effective ways to get high while eating. And it's delicious too.

Doldrugs, thanks for posting your recipe, I'm keeping this in my precious folder! Would it make any sense to make this recipe with a small amount of weed (3g)?

Would it make any sense to make this recipe with a small amount of weed (3g)?

Absolutely. I do batches of a quarter to a half usually, but 3 grams will work just fine.

How much would you dose for some one with low tolerance? I'm used to using wasteful and sometimes irresponsibly high doses with edibles. Its not usually a problem but it would make sense to measure them out in a sensible fashion. I know the figure of 0.5 grams of weed has been stated but how much coconut oil is that going to be?

.3-.5 is usually sufficient, but you do need to try different doses to find your sweet spot. There are factors other than tolerance, like metabolism for instance. I know people who get high off .1 and completely destroyed by .2.

If you're going to cook it into food, just use as much oil as the recipe would call for (as long as it completely covers the weed/hash). If you're taking caps, what I do is count eye dropper's worth of oil, as one full eye dropper is approximately equal to a 00 cap. So for instance if I want my caps to be around .3 g each and I start with a half, I do ~45 drops. It doesn't work out exactly but you'll be close. The lower the quantity the harder it is to get the caps at a high dosage with herb, so you may have to shoot for half a dose per cap, but taking two caps is not a problem. When you use hash, it takes much less oil to cover so higher dose caps are easier to make.

Something to keep in mind: When you take caps, there's no food involved to trigger digestion like there is with a proper edible. Taking them on an empty stomach is preferable but immediately eating a fatty and/or carb rich snack speeds up the process. This depends on individual metabolism, though. Some people do better skipping this step.

Lawl , hash grinded, crumbled finely, a small amount, teaspoon- tablespoon, of oil animal or vegetable heat melt mix into yogurt eat! BOOM! there is enough fat in the yogurt to activate your ingredients.

The argument isn't whether it works, it's whether it's efficient. If you don't care about wasting weed and money, by all means take the short cuts. Despite what greenthumb says, I've never said they don't work. They do. They're just wasteful.

ALso PG will do a full extract of most of the active ingredients if you want to make a vape juice or oral solution! AFAIK it works just as well as the IPA

In my experience VG is a horrible solvent for cannabis and I assumed PG was similar. Maybe I'm wrong. But the amount of marijuana infused VG needed to actually get high wouldn't fit in even the largest vape tank. It just doesn't hold enough per volume. If you have direct experience with doing PG extractions, I am very interested. If it's substantially different than VG I'll want to start experimenting with it myself!

Last edited:
^ Good post Doldrugs, that explains some questions I had.

At a low enough heat, the high won't be too sedating even after a long cooking time. But if you have a thermometer and know the temp, 40-45 minutes is definitely long enough to infuse that shit.
OK. This makes sense now.

To clarify further, since weed naturally decarbs over time, you have a mixture of THCA and THC present. The older the weed, the less THCA and the more THC. My understanding is that when you heat cannabis two things are happening. One, THCA is being decarboxylated into THC. Two, THC is degrading into CBN, which is not very active on its own but seems to enhance the effect of the CBD in your weed, and CBD is less euphoric or psychedelic, more relaxing and sedating. So your THC to CBD ratio is going up in addition to the quantity of a compound that may enhance CBD's effects. This is why heating weed too long results in a more sedative high. The key is to decarb as much THCA as possible without degrading too much THC. Unless you want more sedation.

Totally. I would think the CBD is playing a role in the sedation effect as well. I know my edibles tend to be extremely sedating and I low-cook the fuck out of them. I guess I grew to like the sedating effects and maybe more tolerant to them as well, but I still get knocked out by them with a reasonably small amount.

The times that I really let the times increase where when I was using trim I didn't otherwise care about. It was easy to experiment with (cause I had an abundance) and I found that I could make insanely potent butter with just trim, just by increasing the times. Pretty cool for stuff I otherwise wouldn't have.

Totally. I would think the CBD is playing a role in the sedation effect as well.

Right, the CBN is only possibly synergizing with the CBD. CBD is responsible for the majority of the downer/anxiolytic effects of some strains.

Absolutely. I do batches of a quarter to a half usually, but 3 grams will work just fine.

.3-.5 is usually sufficient, but you do need to try different doses to find your sweet spot. There are factors other than tolerance, like metabolism for instance. I know people who get high off .1 and completely destroyed by .2.

If you're going to cook it into food, just use as much oil as the recipe would call for (as long as it completely covers the weed/hash). If you're taking caps, what I do is count eye dropper's worth of oil, as one full eye dropper is approximately equal to a 00 cap. So for instance if I want my caps to be around .3 g each and I start with a half, I do ~45 drops. It doesn't work out exactly but you'll be close. The lower the quantity the harder it is to get the caps at a high dosage with herb, so you may have to shoot for half a dose per cap, but taking two caps is not a problem. When you use hash, it takes much less oil to cover so higher dose caps are easier to make.

Something to keep in mind: When you take caps, there's no food involved to trigger digestion like there is with a proper edible. Taking them on an empty stomach is preferable but immediately eating a fatty and/or carb rich snack speeds up the process. This depends on individual metabolism, though. Some people do better skipping this step.

The argument isn't whether it works, it's whether it's efficient. If you don't care about wasting weed and money, by all means take the short cuts. Despite what greenthumb says, I've never said they don't work. They do. They're just wasteful.

In my experience VG is a horrible solvent for cannabis and I assumed PG was similar. Maybe I'm wrong. But the amount of marijuana infused VG needed to actually get high wouldn't fit in even the largest vape tank. It just doesn't hold enough per volume. If you have direct experience with doing PG extractions, I am very interested. If it's substantially different than VG I'll want to start experimenting with it myself!

I wouldn't use VG and PG is the standard method, but on further research I have found that the solvent properties of PEG400 to be far superior to that of VG/PG. actually PEG400 can achieve ratios of 1g/ml of dissolved wax, concentrates or oils.

I wouldn't use VG and PG is the standard method, but on further research I have found that the solvent properties of PEG400 to be far superior to that of VG/PG. actually PEG400 can achieve ratios of 1g/ml of dissolved wax, concentrates or oils.

There's more chance of dangerous contaminants in PEG400, don't use it unless you can test it. It's not used for e-cigs for that reason, from what I've found.

These are all very helpful posts :) thanks a bunch.
I've got a new stash that I want to make some edibles with.

What's the best recipe for using a small amount like 2 -3 grams?
I have butter and nuttela I could possibly infuse it too. Sunflower seed oil too if that works.
I'm also willing to wait untill I can go shopping to pick up somthing better

There's more chance of dangerous contaminants in PEG400, don't use it unless you can test it. It's not used for e-cigs for that reason, from what I've found.

I purchase mine from a reputable source they have a whole brand thing going on right now and it's a mix of PEG400,200 and 300 and PEG in good purity is easily passed through the urine and bile systems in our bodies just as safely as pg or vg as far as I am aware. It is actually used in ejuice production as it offers a better throat hit than the other variants

I couldnt aquire coconut oil or lecithin so I tried preparing it with butter and canola oil. .5 - .3 in each.
I don't trust my oven at all so instead of baking it for decarbing, i put it in a boiler bag for about an hour. so about 200-210F
i simmered it into the butter and the oil for about 30 mins

I tried a serving that used half the butter, I think I felt mild effects. I just finished eating the rest of it, Ill report back.

on a side note.. it tastes nasty -.-

Last edited:
Canola oil is horrible for edibles. At 210-215 you need more than 30 minutes dude.