• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Eating cannabis more efficient than smoking? I can't get it to work..

ChipTrippyFox

Bluelighter
Well, I've tried making edibles on 4 or 5 different occasions.. None of them seem to have worked and I am unsure why?

The process is basically this:

grind to a very fine powder
decarb at 200F for ~20 mins
simmer into butter for about 10 mins
use butter for cooking into food of choice.

Each time I consumed about (what looked like) .5G and I didn't bother with straining out the plant material.

Mostly I just want to try it to see how it feels. The duration + psychedelic effects I have read about are highly appealing to me. But I also have heard that it is more economical than smoking, which is also appealing to me since I am not by any means wealthy.
It also seems like it would be more medicinally beneficial since I use it as a treatment for depression.

You have the right idea, but it looks like your timing and temps are probably off.

I would decarb at higher temperature and for longer; say about 240F for about 35 minutes.

Also, your time for simmering into the butter seems to be way too short. I always simmer for about two hours, sometimes more (on low heat of course).

^^Those are the obvious problems I see with your recipe. The not so obvious ones might be to check the type of butter you are using (is it REAL FAT or is it FAKE butter?), there is a difference. Also, maybe try eating on an empty stomach.

I think that if you play around with higher heat and longer times you will eventually hit the sweet spot.

0.5g is a small dose unless it's really strong hash, it'll depend what you're cooking it into as well & how you cook that. Some milk based drink like hot chocolate or a small yoghurt works well, not on a full stomach. Something that needs cooking on a high heat or something too big is no good. If you want a long duration & psychedelic effects then you're going to need to eat more than 0.5g of bud if you have any kind of tolerance, more like 1 or 2 grams. It's absorbed slower & the bioavailability is lower, so you can't just eat a good joint's worth & expect to get really stoned like you would off that one joint smoked all at once, need to eat a similar amount to what you'd smoke in a good 6 hour session.

It can be a strong effect from eating it & last all day, it's much harder to judge doses than with smoking it, so it's easy to either get no effect or really stoned all day. So don't try it on a day when you have anything important planned. It can take up to 2 hours to feel it too.

Last edited:
The psychedelic effects do not increase as I increase my dose. The duration of an edible high is naturally longer than a smoking high. There is no need to take high doses to get psychedelic effects with a long duration.

The only thing a heavy dose ever did for me is put me to sleep.

I decarb for 30 minutes at 225, then cook in oil at 225 for 45 minutes. Coconut oil, lecithin. Cooking longer makes it more powerful but more sedating as well. PM me if you want detailed instructions, I have a lot of experience and my edibles literally NEVER FAIL. I will make it my personal goal to make edibles work for you.

0.5g is a small dose unless it's really strong hash, it'll depend what you're cooking it into as well & how you cook that.

Wrong. Stop spreading false information and wasting people's weed. Last time I made brownies they were .5 g of herb (NOT HASH) and they destroyed regular smokers. Everyone told me half a brownie would have been better. I typically eat .3-.4 g, myself.

Something that needs cooking on a high heat or something too big is no good.

All baked goods have ending temps around 200-215 Fahrenheit, nowhere near the temps that cause problems for any actives in weed. Inactive or weak edibles (like for instance edibles with 2 grams of hash in a single dose, Jesus what a waste) result because of insufficient heat and time, not the other way around.

Yo Trippy, Doldrugs knows what he is talking about. If he says he will help (via PM if necessary), you don't have much excuse to NOT get this stuff to work. Seriously, take advantage of this if you need to.

what happened to the old hash yogurt method? quick fast and effective!

This guy is specifically looking for the most economical way to use weed. In my fairly extensive experience, that means cooking it into coconut oil using lecithin. Decarboxylation, proper heat, and proper time are crucial to getting the most from your weed. If you have plenty of money and access, hash yogurt definitely works. If you don't, it's hugely wasteful.

For some reason some Americans don't believe in it & argue against it working at all, despite never trying it. They insist on convoluted methods that result in a whole day's work for ineffective or weak edibles.

Sorry for the dumb question but what does decarb mean? I usually grind, put in pan with water and butter, cook two hours at least and then strain and cool. My edibles are strong. Am I missing a step?

Sorry for the dumb question but what does decarb mean? I usually grind, put in pan with water and butter, cook two hours at least and then strain and cool. My edibles are strong. Am I missing a step?
Decarboxylation. It's a well documented subject that is understood worldwide.

In fact, almost every piece of LEGAL edible that I have bought from stores have a description listed for it on the wrapper near or in the ingredients label. It's a standard practice used EVERYWHERE.

Oh sweet thanks for the support guys. I'm out right now but I will post better when I'm home :)

Wrong. Stop spreading false information and wasting people's weed. Last time I made brownies they were .5 g of herb (NOT HASH) and they destroyed regular smokers. Everyone told me half a brownie would have been better. I typically eat .3-.4 g, myself.
I would say he is right. No point in wasting your weed by not putting enough in.

It's a pitiful amount to bother cooking imo. Generally for edibles you want to use double what you would smoke to get high, but the effects will be stronger/longer.

But then what do I know, im just sittin' here eating a test batch of 15 cookies made with a gram of BHO (only eating two to see how strong they are).

No point in wasting your weed by not putting enough in.
#1: .5 gram is PLENTY enough for a novice user. PROOF provided below.
#2: Have you even read OP's recipe? 20 minutes at 200F? Do you really think that is going to decab jack sh*t?

Proof for number #1, using MATHS!

Here is a picture showing one example of how LEGAL edibles are displayed to the public. Please note the two pieces of important information provided:

#1: 10mg ACTIVATED THC (That means 10mg THC, NOT THCA which is a direct reference to decarboxylation) is the suggested as a single dose.
#2: Observe the term "Heat Activated Cannabis Butter". This is laymen term for decarboxylation.

NSFW:
iTQhDPx.jpg

Now say that the OP is smoking some average good stuff, on the low side and being conservative let's just say it's only 15% THC. Now what that really means is it's 15% THCA, and it needs to be decarbed to get it to be THC. So, let's say the OP got a good recipe and actually decarbed all the THCA into THC. This means that the bud is now 15% THC. So let's also say the OP does a good job of extracting into the oil, and now the oil has this amount of THC inside.

Let's do math!

15% of .5 grams is .075 grams. This means that the OP would have exactly 75mg of medicine in food form, from ONLY HALF A GRAM OF BUD!

OK! So, looking back at the suggested dose of 10mg, you can see that this is 7.5 times the recommended LEGAL dose.

So you see, if you decarb properly and extract into the oil properly, you won't have problems getting high off of .5 grams. I know I can.

I honestly feel sorry for people so misinformed.

cookies i made worked out to be .066 grams of BHO and I got fried bro.

I think cooking with small amounts is wasteful because you can't scale a recipe back far enough. single cookie batch cooking is inefficient.

cookies i made worked out to be .066 grams of BHO and I got fried bro.
cool story

I think cooking with small amounts is wasteful because you can't scale a recipe back far enough. single cookie batch cooking is inefficient.
yeah i always cook with at least a half o if I'm making butter, but the thing is I can still do the math to see how much I need to eat to have exactly .5 grams eaten. it's plenty for a novice and even gets people like me high.

Edit:
Another option for you, Trippy, is to make firecrackers. These are actually what I first started on when I got lit on my own edibles (again .5 grams in REAL PEANUT butter should do the trick if you decarb and cook right). I was hesitant to bring this up initially because firecrackers taste like butt. They work though.

Last edited:
W01fg4ang is posting good stuff here. This is science, not guesswork.

For some reason some Americans don't believe in it & argue against it working at all, despite never trying it. They insist on convoluted methods that result in a whole day's work for ineffective or weak edibles.

For anyone reading this, this gentleman and I have had extensive arguments about this where he repeats himself, intentionally misquotes and misunderstands what I'm posting, and never provides actual facts backing up any of his claims, which are counter to well established science. You're welcome to listen to him, and you'll likely get high. But you can get just as high on a fraction of the amount of weed he says to use if you follow a version of the well established process I use. Your choice.

My current recipe:

(Personally I like to make iso hash out of my weed first, for a number of reasons. I like vaping it more, it's fun, and when you make oil out of hash there's no nasty plant matter but it continues to extract and get stronger the longer you store it. If you don't know how to make iso hash it's the easiest thing in the world. You grind up your weed - I use a coffee grinder or blender - put it into a conical coffee filter, pour 90% isopropyl alcohol through it onto a plate, and point a fan over the iso until it's evaporated. Then scrape up with a razor. More time soaking in the alcohol results in more actives being extracted, but also in a much less pure product. This is completely optional however!)

Decarb: Put your hash or ground weed in an oven safe container like a ramekin. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated oven (I use a toaster oven) at 225 for 30 minutes. USE AN OVEN THERMOMETER. They are cheap. This is not a hard and fast temp/time combo. You can experiment with different times, for example 2 hours at 200 works but it's intensely sedating. Not my cup of tea. The lower the temp the longer the time needed. 225 and 30 minutes produce the best high in my opinion. Obviously highly subjective.

Cook: After your container has cooled to room temperature, unseal and pour in coconut oil. You only need enough to cover the weed. Stir in a small amount (like a quarter teaspoon or so) of lecithin. (This is optional but makes an enormous difference because lecithin separates and surrounds the individual active molecules and makes it much easier for your body to process.) Reseal and cook at 225 for 45 minutes.

You're done! I cap this stuff and take it straight. Be aware the high will become stronger and more sedating if you cook further with it, so you can compensate by cooking it into the oil for a shorter time or skipping it altogether depending on the recipe, but you need to leave the hash or bud in the mix when you bake. Obviously that's another point in hash's favor because it's not noticeable the way plant bits are in a cake or brownie.

I'm not claiming this is the best possible recipe. I'm always experimenting and refining. But this recipe has worked for me and everyone else I've shared with 100% of the time.

I honestly feel sorry for people so misinformed.

Me too. And I feel frustrated remembering how I wasted weed following bad recipes online, and frustrated knowing other people will be led to do the same.