• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD What Are You Munching On? v. Godlike steaks & shitting candles.

Kate it seems like what you call a swede and a turnip are the opposite way round to what I do. I agree with Chatative. The way my mum always did swedes was mashed with carrots. A great combination, and normally the way I cook them. But they are also nice cut into chunks and roasted. And say hi to Felix! A classic BL name. The great password fuckup of '05 was a time of tribulation for us all!

^
Are you English Rhombus? Okay, ok I'll give you foreigners the benefit of the doubt :p Maybe its "proper" name is as you both say, but in Scotland, its known differently all through our heritage and culture. You gotta love life's rich tapestry and differences eh ;)

Another reason why it should have been a YES vote here 8) lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

It's turnip - damn you philistines!

:D

^
I think I'm going to have to out you chatative as not being a Scottish person. You obviously have the whole neep thing wrong.

:p

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree... :p (but yes, Wikipedia doesn't lie!)

The way my mum always did swedes was mashed with carrots. A great combination, and normally the way I cook them.

Agreed. Never tried doing them that way myself but it's a speciality of my Dad's.

^
I'm going in the official huff with the both of you :p

Don't come back crawling to me on Burns night wondering what's happened to your neeps 8)

<3

I will indeed enjoy my neeps on Burns Night! :D

Are 'neeps' swedes or turnips?

To clear it up now (some hope), neeps is a dish of diced or mashed swede...

...And wouldn't it be wonderful if it was this simple and we could just leave it at that? Yes, yes, it would. But, no, we can't. It gets more complicated. A hell of a lot more complicated...

...What we can safely say, *if* we disregard the views of the renegade reporter above is that the large purpleish skinned things with yellowy/orange flesh (on the right in the picture above) are swedes.

Well I had two tescos mini mince pies just now, plus banana, apple, and orange many hours ago. Happy Christmas? Oh it's still Halloween. Ah well.

Oh ok, you win - still I will refuse to call it swede :!:p:X

<3

Let's have an EADD Burns Supper!

Well I had two tescos mini mince pies just now, plus banana, apple, and orange many hours ago. Happy Christmas? Oh it's still Halloween. Ah well.

Do you mean mince is as in the xmas ones or ones with beef mince in them? These details make my life worth living you know :D I'd add a couple of kiwi to that combo, for the vit c you know <3

^
Are you English Rhombus? Okay, ok I'll give you foreigners the benefit of the doubt :p Maybe its "proper" name is as you both say, but in Scotland, its known differently all through our heritage and culture. You gotta love life's rich tapestry and differences eh ;)

Another reason why it should have been a YES vote here 8) lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

It's turnip - damn you philistines!

:D

Haha, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that we seem to call each vegetable the opposite name. As to who's right? I guess it's a cultural/regional thing.

To be honest I didn't even know that a swede and a turnip were different until I met my Mrs. She asked me to go out and buy turnips, and when I came back with a swede she was like "WTF is this?!". She's Canadian so I guess over there they'd call it a rutabaga, but maybe they're not big in the area she comes from because I don't think she'd ever seen one before.

I remember reading the story "The Enormous Turnip" as a kid and it had this picture in it. This is what I would now call a turnip but I'm pretty sure I was confused at the time because it didn't look like what I thought a turnip should look like.

grimmtale.jpg

From now on I'm just going to call them Brassica Rapa and Brassica Napus to avoid confusion.

Do you mean mince is as in the xmas ones or ones with beef mince in them? These details make my life worth living you know :D I'd add a couple of kiwi to that combo, for the vit c you know <3

Xmas mince of course, felt like I should have some Christmas food while it was still only October. Should have had Xmas cake on my birthday thinking about it, they were out in plenty of time.

Kiwis as in the fruit or people from new Zealand? And if the second one would Australians suffice?

Kiwi > kiwi fruit > australian

/wrists /cry

i might buy a blender asap. going to start making smoothies everyday.

holy moly wast aht a fab dinner i had: beef tartar, a heavenly gourmet burger, and semifreddo for dessert... delicious. couple of cocktails down too feeling right tipsy on top of that 3meo pcp. lovely evening so far. stuffed

Also completely stuffed. Albeit on considerably less exotic fare. Picked up a shitload of heavily reduced Indian thingies (all (unfortunately) ready-made stuff but dirt cheap so worked out very cost-effective) this week so had chicken balti wiv pilau rice, samosas, onion bhajis, veg pakora and a couple chapatis. Utterly stuffed and not too bad for stuff from the chilled section rather than at least semi-homemade as I'd usually try to go in for. Disappointed with the chapatis though. Nowt really wrong with 'em tastewise but extortionately overpriced for what they are and how quick 'n' easy they are to make yourself at home. It's flour and water. Hardly rocket science and certainly not worth two quid a pack (not that that's what I paid due to being reduced but will be a one-off purchase for sure).

i might buy a blender asap. going to start making smoothies everyday.

Would that be fruit-based smoothies or antipodean folk-based smoothies?

Just had a half a Dr. Oetker Supreme pizza with a baked potato & cheese and lettuce.

My word thats a long article for such a whimsical topic. I wonder if the author was paid by the word and had to make the article at least that long.

My Dad's a Scot, and he told me that Neeps are turnips, seems to make perfect sense to me, how could they be anything else:? Though when he made "neeps and tatties" im pretty sure he used Swede and not Turnips. I cant remember the last time i had turnips or even what they tatse like..

"Neeps 'n' tatties" is definitetely swede 'n' spud whenever I've had it. Turnips would make more sense - maybe it was originally turnips but people realised how unpleasant turnips are so switched to swede cos it's at least more edible.

Would that be fruit-based smoothies or antipodean folk-based smoothies?

Fruit and sometimes vegetables smoothies, vegetables: they norm get cooked or done a different way.

I am focusing on self-improvement and changing my diet is one of them. plus exercise. and use less drugs.

So cut out energy drinks, just water plus smoothies for a start. soon. :) well could be any time tbh.

i don't know what you mean, shambles - anitpodean idk imho

Can't believe the turnip / swede discussion has kept going 8)

I'm distraught as I went to Aldi and procured this massive turnip thing for 49p - the cunts had it labelled as a swede :X I hate you all :p Anyhoo I brought it home and dealt with it with a machete and much hari kari manoeuvring. Almost destroyed one of my knives :| Ended up with it and some carrots in a pan and after much simmering and psychotic attacking with a blender ended up with rather tasty turnip mash. Man does it need a lot of butter and black ground pepper. Voilà 10 portions of delish veg sides ;) I've frozen most of it for other meals but it did taste goood!

Nothing interesting in dinner news here. I have no appetite, can't eat and my favourite blue suit at work today was hanging off me, not in an attractive way either :\

To keep on topic here's a pic of my fav fish stew / kedgeree from greedier times.
photo17.jpg

Made a rather tasty -
Channa Daal - with that made a chickpea and spinach curry <3

Was divine :)