• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Plumbing and DIY Thread v. Screwing Some Old Boiler Up Against the Wall

Tut, tut. No stagger? (In the pattern, I mean. I'm sure if there was alcohol and drugs on the go, there'd be some staggering .....)

O.K., with no T&G, it won't add any strength; but it still just looks a bit not-quite-right to my eyes. But then again, it depends on the roof joist spacing (which won't be the modern 450 mm. in an old house); if you only have lengths that will span 2 joists, then it will never work anyway. My joists were a bit shy of 400 apart, meaning we had to cut about 10 cm. of the end off each board .....

I knew someone (i.e. you) would notice that. ;)

I really thought long and hard about how to lay it out. I was fucking paralysed by indecision for quite some time, and even pulled up about 2/3rds of it before starting again.

The joists are not evenly spaced, and the ones at the far end are about an inch lower than the rest. Plus there are loads of complicated bits (especially around the hatch & water tanks) that would have made a proper staggered floor well nigh impossible. For my skill level, anyway.

At the end of the day, it's just a loft, using free reclaimed timber. It'll never be a proper "room" because there isn't much head height. So my main priorities are safety and making a solid job of it, not the aesthetics, although it does look a lot nicer than the photos indicate. :)

In other news, I'm realising that my 2mm hex drill bits are consumable items, cos I've broken 3 so far. Just bought another 6 from Screwfix for £4.98, bargain!

Oi! You've got a tile out of place. That's what happens when you tile drunk & MXE'd. ;)

t8MNsQB.jpg

BrtuYI6.jpg

Oh no!! Where?? ;)

Fuck man, that floor looks the dogs bollocks! How have you fixed them? I cant see any screw heads. I'd bloody kill for an attic like that. Mine's got about 12" of rockwool insulation in - I can't even see the joists, so going up there is a bit of a gamble. Plus we've just had the roof replaced, so what was recently brand new bright yellow insulation is now black with 50 odd years of dust, broken tiles, bricks and plaster. When I first opened the hatch after the roof was finished, I got showered with the aforementioned debris - I would not have been happy if I'd actually yet got round to laying the new flooring on the landing....

Oh no!! Where?? ;)

Fuck man, that floor looks the dogs bollocks! How have you fixed them? I cant see any screw heads. I'd bloody kill for an attic like that. Mine's got about 12" of rockwool insulation in - I can't even see the joists, so going up there is a bit of a gamble. Plus we've just had the roof replaced, so what was recently brand new bright yellow insulation is now black with 50 odd years of dust, broken tiles, bricks and plaster. When I first opened the hatch after the roof was finished, I got showered with the aforementioned debris - I would not have been happy if I'd actually yet got round to laying the new flooring on the landing....

Awww, did I not even make you look? :D

Cheers! They are mostly fixed by the odd nail here or there. Some of the "difficult" bits are countersunk and screwed in. Even though they're not staggered properly :)p to Julie), the tongue and groove is still slotted together along the full lengths and ends. There's no need to fix every single board down cos the mechanical strength of the hardwood and the joints is like fucking metal. \m/ ;) And the sheer weight of it means that gravity also helps to keep it down. I thought there might a bit of bounciness I'd need to address, but nope, it all lies perfectly flat.

Still got well over 100 boards downstairs to fit. :D

BTW B&Q sell loft flooring kits that deal with the extra high insulation you've got. It consists of sheets of chipboard with cone type legs to raise things up a bit. If you've got the head height to make it worthwhile, that might help if you want to do it.

EDIT: Stilts at B&Q

Not sure if they'd be strong enough to stand on, though...

Last edited:
Awww, did I not even make you look? :D

Cheers! They are mostly fixed by the odd nail here or there. Some of the "difficult" bits are countersunk and screwed in. Even though they're not staggered properly :)p to Julie), the tongue and groove is still slotted together along the full lengths and ends. There's no need to fix every single board down cos the mechanical strength of the hardwood and the joints is like fucking metal. \m/ ;) And the sheer weight of it means that gravity also helps to keep it down. I thought there might a bit of bounciness I'd need to address, but nope, it all lies perfectly flat.

Still got well over 100 boards downstairs to fit. :D

BTW B&Q sell loft flooring kits that deal with the extra high insulation you've got. It consists of sheets of chipboard with cone type legs to raise things up a bit. If you've got the head height to make it worthwhile, that might help if you want to do it.

No, you didn't make me look because I have that much confidence in my ability.... 8)

Cheers for the tip on the loft flooring, but I've still got 50% of the house to do first - so bugger that! =D

So you're prioritising the kitchen etc. before your secret man-cave?

*shakes head* ;)

I know. Only joking. ;) I really need to get the bathroom and living room decorated here too, but thankfully the CFO has permitted the prioritisation of this project. It helps that it's not really costing much, of course. And doing this is going to make life in the flat better too, thanks to the extra storage space and ease of access.

BL wife fubar ;) handy (and other 8() things! :D

I must say the cutting of metal up there really is grinding the ears' off me and the cats. Thank goodness for this wind billowing through the tower room windows, I'd get tetchy otherwise.

Hopefully those 100 odd other planks will lead a path to the tower roof space. Then I'll insist on a juliet window installation 8)

Both of my e-cig batteries wont thread, worked fine till yesterday if i held it together in a certain position. I tried some tin foil to bridge the gap bettwen battery and Atty but it just shorts the battery and turns it off. Give it to my dad and he fixes the thread by wrapping a sew on name tag around the inside of the thread. That's his masters degree in engineering in action :D saved my lungs

Nice one. :D

Major milestone completed.

hZOhIzl.jpg

Time to tidy up and reflect on the job so far.

What I want is a proper electric socket up there. There's lots of lighting cables up there, and the fusebox is in the hall cupboard, which leads to the loft hatch. I don't know what the next step is. Time for a sparkie. :)

I've just done a stocktake.

126 boards fitted + 150 left = 276 total. I don't think my neighbour truly realised what he'd given me for fuck all. Or maybe he did, and he's just a very kind person. :)

The front shock on my truck broke today while I was driving on a corrugation filled laterite road. SHOCKING!

Nothing much happened, just noticed cab tilted to the right and it banged over bumps, so later on got home and saw it broken. Wheel off, shock top mount nuts out and bottom bolt off it.

In the "west" this part would be toast, but here I will just send it to a local garage where two people will work on welding it in bare feet and without proper safety equipment. One will wield the welding cable and the other will use judicious and regular application of water to avoid the shock exploding and becoming an unguided missile. They will also repair the bushing. I'll be pissed if it costs over $12.50.

$12.50? Fucking outrageous. Haggle him down to a chicken and a bag of rice.

Better still, just get the chicken to hold the two bits together. :D

p.s. can I have that bit of wood for my loft? ;)

Worst that can happen is it breaks again. Unlikely though. No new parts available up here either.

Felix: I can supply you with a truckload of that wood. Just need a tenner for each police checkpoint between here and the airport and maybe an unregistered Antonov waiting on the runway with its engines turning over ready to get into Vietnamese airspace, slip into china, over the stans, Russia and land on the once floes off Aberdeen.

Sounds doable, right?

Sounds great, but I don't live anywhere near Aberdeen now. Thanks anyway. ;)

Fixed!

$10 for welding and a new bushing.

$2:50 for a taxi to return it to my house.

30 minutes to fit it all back together and on the road.

Looks good. But I'm afraid it's not "DIY" because you exploited some poor people in bare feet to do it for you.

And it still cost you an outrageous $12.50, sucker!!! ;)