• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Gardening Club: Ploughing FUBAR's infertile Fields

I'm going to have too. It's a matter of pride now! I am going to win all the county fairs and such.

I think it depends on the variety of sunflower as to whether a stake is needed. Keep and eye on them as you'll be sad if they snap in half!

I think it depends on the variety of sunflower as to whether a stake is needed. Keep and eye on them as you'll be sad if they snap in half!

Sad wouldn't be word! I would be murderous! I think I'm going to move them into the closed off garden so the kids cant snap/steal them.

Sad wouldn't be word! I would be murderous! I think I'm going to move them into the closed off garden so the kids cant snap/steal them.

Make sure you collect all the seeds when they're ripe. They make a great snack raw, or you can even roast them. Organic TV snax ftw :) (obviously split the husks off first)

Fubar's Forum For Freaky Farmers

Disclaimer: This is a generic gardening thread for the exchange of advice, queries and top tips for growers looking to obtain the best possible results from their flowers, fruit and vegetables, whether outside in beds or pots, in greenhouses or inside under lights - hydroponic or organic. It does not, no way, no how, nor nuffin, seek to encourage illegal activities of any sort.. ;)

I'll start off with a question for any green fingered geezers or girlies out there:

When seeking to improve soil drainage and aeration, the accepted method is to add a shitload of perlite. However, this stuff is bloody pricey! As a budding gardener ever on the lookout for ways to save a few bob, I was wondering if beads of expanded polystyrene packaging would do exactly the same job, for fuck all. Anyone heard of this before, or can think of any reasons it may not be a good idea?

I am still lurking but i will log on to answer your question. There is no need to add perlite. Commercial potting mix or good garden bed soil will be fine. I have never used perlite in a soil mix...and i have grown LOTS of plants. Dont add the beads. Just make sure your containers have sufficient drainage.

If plastic drinking bottles can leech toxic shit I imagine polystyrene might also ?

Where the hell are you getting your expensive perlite? No amazon or wilkos where you are ?

I don't think you need as much when growing outside. Definitely a third when growing inside. But you can get away with less outside IME.

I also recycle mine. When my plants are done I bin the roots but chuck the soil / perlite mix into a flower bed.
I'd never try to fill a pot and grow in the pre used mix but a little bit can be used to bulk out if your a bit short one year. Probably less than 25% though.

I really tend not to fuss or worry about outdoor plants. To me the main concern is timing. I aim to have my automatic tomato plants making their erm automatic tomatoes at the very height of summer.
I'm doing purple tomatoes this year. I'm thinking novelty factor and possibly added stealth.

Trust me. You dont need perlite. You just need drainage. Dont over fertilise give em as much sun as you can, dont over water and bob is your uncle. * dissapears back into the shadows *

A little is advisable, not essential

Our summers can be pretty soggy.

Edit.

Just had a thought !

OP : a good reason not to use polystyrene?

It'll just float to the top if you get heavy rain and just migrate to the top over time anyway : Brazil nut effect

Last edited:
I am still lurking but i will log on to answer your question. There is no need to add perlite. Commercial potting mix or good garden bed soil will be fine. I have never used perlite in a soil mix...and i have grown LOTS of plants. Dont add the beads. Just make sure your containers have sufficient drainage.

Thanks matey, comments noted.

BTW, while you were occupied replying to my post, I robbed all my tellys back... :)

If plastic drinking bottles can leech toxic shit I imagine polystyrene might also ?

Where the hell are you getting your expensive perlite? No amazon or wilkos where you are ?

I don't think you need as much when growing outside. Definitely a third when growing inside. But you can get away with less outside IME.

I also recycle mine. When my plants are done I bin the roots but chuck the soil / perlite mix into a flower bed.
I'd never try to fill a pot and grow in the pre used mix but a little bit can be used to bulk out if your a bit short one year. Probably less than 25% though.

I really tend not to fuss or worry about outdoor plants. To me the main concern is timing. I aim to have my automatic tomato plants making their erm automatic tomatoes at the very height of summer.
I'm doing purple tomatoes this year. I'm thinking novelty factor and possibly added stealth.

I think the drinks bottle problem only manifests itself over extended time periods - after all, they can be sat in warehouses for months to years potentially leaching toxins into the contents. But good point, and taken on board.

I made the mistake of buying perlite from B&Q - fuckin nearly 8 quid for 10kg 8o Our Wilkos don't stock it, but I have seen it on Amazon for 12 or 13 quid for 100L...

They were shite tellys. Your microwave on the other hand is awesome..

Eh? So where have I just put my porridge then :?

Here's a tip I 'discovered' last year to keep slugs off yer plants when grown in pots.

Wilkos, Poundland et al sell rolls of self adhesive copper tape. If you stick a length of this around the circumference of your pots it is effective at stopping slugs and snails crawling up the sides. When their mucous comes into contact with copper, it generates a tiny electrical current which doesn't hurt them, but is enough to deter them from crossing it. It does need to be kept clean though or it will lose its efficacy.

Yea wilkos has good garden products st reasonable prices.

Eh? So where have I just put my porridge then :?

Here's a tip I 'discovered' last year to keep slugs off yer plants when grown in pots.

Wilkos, Poundland et al sell rolls of self adhesive copper tape. If you stick a length of this around the circumference of your pots it is effective at stopping slugs and snails crawling up the sides. When their mucous comes into contact with copper, it generates a tiny electrical current which doesn't hurt them, but is enough to deter them from crossing it. It does need to be kept clean though or it will lose its efficacy.

I guess that's better than the other way of putting blwla of milk / cider where they go to drink n are drown n they you've a loada dead slugs in your bowls. Eewwee.

Goof to see you back, Consumer

Evey

I experimented with growing ornamental poppies for 2-3 spring/summers a few years ago. Snails found them irresistible, and whenever it rained I'd go out to find literally dozens of them gnawing their way through the budding poppy leaves. I tried slug pellets to start with, but the completely disgusting trails of death this caused the snails to leave behind was just too much, plus it must have been one hell of an horrendous way to die for the snails. Later I just started lobbing them as far as i could in random directions away from my growing area. They had to take their chances on whether they received a soft landing, or a shell cracking hard landing. But a few weeks of doing that got rid of the snail problem.

After all that though the results of my poppy experiments were very disappointing. One year the weather conditions were perfect too, sunny virtually every day right through from when the seeds were planted until the flowers had matured. Maybe i tried to cram too many into too small an area. Poppies can be successfully grown in the warmer and drier parts of the UK, but i guess in other areas you need a lot of luck with the weather.

Last edited:
It's interesting you should say that because I was recently telling someone that snails' homing instinct can be overcome if you move them 20m away.

If I'd known that at the time I would have gathered them all up in an old box or something, taken them to some nearby wasteland well over 20 meters away and released them there, completely unharmed. (At least as and when I could be bothered, on my more short fused of days I'm afraid a fair few of them would still just have been lobbed as far as possible :eek: .)

A few years ago I did a guerrilla grow... Got 27oz of pretty nice weed.. Surprisingly good for the UK. Purple Maroc, KC33 and 36, and Hybrids from Hell Hashplant.

A few years ago I did a guerrilla grow... Got 27oz of pretty nice weed.. Surprisingly good for the UK. Purple Maroc, KC33 and 36, and Hybrids from Hell Hashplant.

Fuckin hell, that's a good result! I couldn't be arsed with guerilla grows myself - too much hassle checking and tending them, risk of being followed, discovery by the public etc. Christ, you can't even go for a piss in the countryside without a fuckin dog walker or rambler appearing out of nowhere...