• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

Please excuse my ignorance, but do I need a subscription for film 4, or is it a freeview jobbie? If it's free then yes please. The original freaked me out good style, but I can see how dated it is now. I like the sound of this remake.

I believe that Film 4 is generally available as a Freeview channel. I'll check the schedules later and post an update on this thread.

Please excuse my ignorance, but do I need a subscription for film 4, or is it a freeview jobbie? If it's free then yes please. The original freaked me out good style, but I can see how dated it is now. I like the sound of this remake.

its not scheduled to be on fillm 4 in the next fortnight, but i have found a youtube link for the full movie; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7c5IbEqCfs

the picture quality doesnt look too great even without full screen mode but you could possibly get it off ebay for 99p or something like that if you're lucky. It's not an all time top ten or anything but its worth watching with a decent picture quality imo.

its not scheduled to be on fillm 4 in the next fortnight, but i have found a youtube link for the full movie; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7c5IbEqCfs

the picture quality doesnt look too great even without full screen mode but you could possibly get it off ebay for 99p or something like that if you're lucky. It's not an all time top ten or anything but its worth watching with a decent picture quality imo.

Thanks for that mate, I appreciate your effort. I'm not a great fan of horror as a genre (I'm too much of a scaredy cat), but the Evil dead was a classic of its time and I like the sound of this remake.

Thanks for that mate, I appreciate your effort. I'm not a great fan of horror as a genre (I'm too much of a scaredy cat), but the Evil dead was a classic of its time and I like the sound of this remake.

I guess it depends what types of horror films you find scary. I find the psychological ones that leave a lot to the imagination far more scary than the blood and gore type, this film is much more of the 2nd type imo at least.

Last edited:
I guess it depends what types of horror films you find scary. I find the psychological ones that leave a lot to the imagination far more scary than the blood and gore type, this film has a bit of both styles.

I agree. The only horror film that has made a lasting impression on me in the last 20 years or so was 'The Grudge' (USA version). That really got under my skin - and I believe the original was even more disturbing.

Probably already mentioned but Enter the Void is worth a butcher's.
On a similar psychedelic vibe Altered States is still worthy and I still quite like the slightly dated effects, likewise with Lair of the White Worm. I last caught Altered States at a noise/drone event where a 25/30 minute cut was projected behind a dude creating some truly wild music. Needless to say due to a ridiculously large amount of MDMA I was suitably impressed.

Probably already mentioned but Enter the Void is worth a butcher's.
On a similar psychedelic vibe Altered States is still worthy and I still quite like the slightly dated effects, likewise with Lair of the White Worm. I last caught Altered States at a noise/drone event where a 25/30 minute cut was projected behind a dude creating some truly wild music. Needless to say due to a ridiculously large amount of MDMA I was suitably impressed.

Wow, altered states and lair of the white worm were great! (And a total blast from the past).

I agree. The only horror film that has made a lasting impression on me in the last 20 years or so was 'The Grudge' (USA version). That really got under my skin - and I believe the original was even more disturbing.

I agree about those 2 films. In a similar vain Dark Water (both The Japanese and Hollywood versions) are really eerie psychological thrillers, again the original was more more so imo, also The Eye, and my all time favorite is The Shining.

Last edited:
I must be one of the few people that found The Shining to be completely shite...

I must be one of the few people that found The Shining to be completely shite...

I must admit I wasn't impressed with it either; I think it was just overhyped, as was the exorcist - and as for the exorcist 2, that was dreadful. I went to see exorcist 1 & 2 on a double bill and they showed the 2nd one first - which was a good idea really as it made the original seem so much better in comparison.

I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane today with a client for work. Really good film. Lots of suspense and plot twists. Highly recommended.

Recent watchings have included a couple of Guillermo del Toro's recent films that really couldn't be more different if they tried.

First up was Pacific Rim - deliriously OTT giant robots vs giant transdimensional alien beasties flick. Kinda like Transformers meets Godzilla whilst both happen to be hanging out with their meth dealer. At least as ridiculous as it sounds and all the better for it. Looks like del Toro isn't going to be directing the upcoming sequel though so I suspect that will manage to be even more ridiculous and be all the worse for it.

Second along was Crimson Peak. This is much closer in tone to some of his earlier work - all the visual style and panache of Pan's Labyrinth along with the storytelling of The Devil's Backbone. It's a pretty straightforward ghost story really only done with outstanding visuals. Also manages to make Cumbria look significantly bleaker - and significantly lushier - than tends to be the case with Cumbria itself.

Coincidentally (or maybe not - is a theme developing here?!? :sus:) both star that fella from Sons of Anarchy - his somewhat wooden acting style works better in the former for me but he's decent enough in a supporting role in the latter. Both are well worth a watch, I'd say, but the former may be a bit too silly for some tastes. Those tastes would be mistaken but hey ho ;)

In unrelated news, I also recently watched The Hateful Eight. Really enjoyed this one. Beautifully shot and with some cracking dialogue. Not quite Tarantino at his best but still pretty goshdarn good all the same. Ennio Moriccone's soundtrack is especially good.

Last edited:
I guess it depends what types of horror films you find scary. I find the psychological ones that leave a lot to the imagination far more scary than the blood and gore type, this film is much more of the 2nd type imo at least.

Silence of the Lambs >>>>