• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[DXM Subthread] First Time

DXM gives me horrible, HORRIBLE nausea at just 200mg. What little interest in the substance I had vanished completely when I discovered 4-MeO-PCP and especially Methoxetamine. I'll never touch DXM again, other than as an antitussive at the recommended dose.

Have you tried taking Diphenhydramine or smoking weed to reduce/remove the nausea? I have friends who have to smoke weed every time they take DXM because otherwise the nausea is uncontrollable and they have to throw up - but with the combination it's fine and they don't get any noticeable nausea.

Thinking of indulging in my first proper dose of DXM - 300mg, either today or next weekend with some friends. How is DXM socially and when tripping with other people? With psychedelics unless I'm taking a high dose I prefer to trip with others, but I've found in the past that with MXE and Ketamine I prefer to trip alone regardless of dose - would this apply to DXM too?

Have you tried taking Diphenhydramine or smoking weed to reduce/remove the nausea? I have friends who have to smoke weed every time they take DXM because otherwise the nausea is uncontrollable and they have to throw up - but with the combination it's fine and they don't get any noticeable nausea.

Thinking of indulging in my first proper dose of DXM - 300mg, either today or next weekend with some friends. How is DXM socially and when tripping with other people? With psychedelics unless I'm taking a high dose I prefer to trip with others, but I've found in the past that with MXE and Ketamine I prefer to trip alone regardless of dose - would this apply to DXM too?

I've taken 300mg of DXM and gone into university and ended up having crazy conversations with engineers because I became so curious in everything, however if I go to 3rd Plateau I have to be alone.

I once even had a conversation with a hare krishna monk on the side of the road while peaking on 400mg and ended up buying one of their books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the edit button next time rather than double-posting please ;)

Hmm, what about being around other people who are also on DXM? Fun or confusing at that dose?

Use the edit button next time rather than double-posting please ;)

Hmm, what about being around other people who are also on DXM? Fun or confusing at that dose?

I don't have any experience with that sorry, unfortunately most of my drug taking friends do not enjoy/want to try DXM but I would think it would be a lot of fun as you really love to dance on that dose and music euphoria is amazing.
Also sorry about the double posting the main forum I frequent has an automerge feature that I keep forgetting other forums dont have!

No worries :)

Interesting. Since you mention dancing and loving music, would it work good somewhere like a pub/bar/club, or would it get too confusing in such a busy environment? One of the friends I might be tripping with was on 450mg recently at the pub I'm considering tripping at, but he has a lot of experience with DXM.

How is DXM socially and when tripping with other people? With psychedelics unless I'm taking a high dose I prefer to trip with others, but I've found in the past that with MXE and Ketamine I prefer to trip alone regardless of dose - would this apply to DXM too?

300mg sorta falls between social doses and non-social doses. i'd say that at some point during the come-up everyone is gonna feel like they need to get away from everyone else. but once the plateau hits socialization should be sweet. :)

^AFAIK it's a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, not a releaser. Your primary worry on the serotonin front is inducing SS through a contraindicated combination.

Using multiple times per month causing decrease in desired effects through monoamine depletion, as with enactogens, is not a significant concern (NMDA antagonism is the principle mechanism for inducing the desired effects).

You're right, thanks :) duly noted!

when your face and upper body flares up itchy red on 200mg because of histamine release you probably wount hit 3rd plateau without an antihistamine, right?

I've been told you should probably take an antihistamine at 300mg+ doses, but everybody's a little different. If you really feel that itchy, definitely take one.

I took 12 of the Rite Aide brand of the cough gels last night. At 15mg at 12 gels equals out to 180mg. At 200 pounds the calc on dextroverse said that should be will within the first plateau. I didn't feel a thing, nothing. After a couple of hours I just went to bed. Did I miscalculate?

dxm can take a couple hours to kick in, especially on lower doses. it mighta hit you right after you fell asleep =p 180mg is a pretty small dose for your body mass tho.

how do you feel today?

No worries :)

Interesting. Since you mention dancing and loving music, would it work good somewhere like a pub/bar/club, or would it get too confusing in such a busy environment? One of the friends I might be tripping with was on 450mg recently at the pub I'm considering tripping at, but he has a lot of experience with DXM.

I would say it would work great but you would have to be comfortable with DXM to do it.

dxm can take a couple hours to kick in, especially on lower doses. it mighta hit you right after you fell asleep =p 180mg is a pretty small dose for your body mass tho.

how do you feel today?

Potentially true, but I didnt feel any after effects in the morning. What would be a solid first plaetu dose for my mass?

first plateau effects can be barely noticeable sometimes kep in mind. 240mg might be a bit better for ya.

when i first started using DXM i made sure to titrate my doses up slowly. it was really fun. :) bumped it up by like 50mg-100mg every time. took some patience, but it really gave me a feel for the drug.

i haven't had that sort of patience with many other drugs since =p i should tho

Last edited:
Ended up dosing 300mg, then later on I took 90mg DXM + 270mg Pseudoephedrine spread out over a few hours, mainly taken as I find the Pseudoephedrine provides stimulation without many side effects and I was getting wonderful music appreciation from the DXM but I had only a little energy to dance.

Wouldn't recommend the combination as I could see it being potentially dangerous due to both compounds being stimulating etc, but in my case I had an enjoyable time and the combination improved the effects.

Overall I found the DXM very fun, and a little confusing - but also pleasantly much more social than other dissociatives I've tried. :)

DXM first time use tips?

So i have done alot of research recently about this and decided i am determined to try it. i know not to get anything with active ingriedients other then dxm, and that a good starting dose is between 300-350mgs for the first plateau, can you also help me with these ?'s

1. I have social anxiety and want to know if dxm will turn me into a panic like state, and if it does will benzos help?

2. I tried shrooms once and had a very bad experience. probably cuz of some baggage i have that the shrooms brought out. Will this happen with dxm and if so how to avoid it?

3. i am 6'2 140lbs if that matters, how long will the experience last& how to avoid a bad trip?

Thank you Bluelighters!

1. dxm eliminates social anxiety in the first two platoes, but for your first experiance do it somewhere privatly. its generaly better to use dxm at home too from the trip point of view.
2.bad trips are possible but not in the way of psylocibin, they are kinda more managable as you feel kinda fearless, type "oh im dying? ok then lets see what comes next!"
3.it does matter, type in startpage.com: dxm calculator and check your personal dosage depending on your weight and desired platoe.
the experiance lasts from 4 to 8 hours depending on dosage, setting and tolerance. there might be a next day "afterglow" like a positive hangover.
being in a calm setting, somewhere familiar with nice tripy(and best calm) music, dim lights etc. helps with keeping the trip positive, triping with few or no people also helps as multiple information inputs can be confusing.

check erowid for much more info there is a useful faq there

Thank you so much all that information was really helpful. I will make sure to prepare properly to ensure i have the most positive experience.

Yeah, 300-350mg will be closer to second plateau. And no it wont effect your social anxiety. As far as I remember, it will last around 3-6 hours.

first time DXM

me and my friend are preparing to go on our first DXM trip,that crazy motherfucker want to get down 600mg... I told him it might be little too much on first dose but he dont want to listen my advise,I make him read your comments

personaly I am considering something around 350-450mg

we are both 21 and about six feet tall and around 150lbs weight.... any wise words?

Last edited:
Around 350 mg seems fine to begin with TBH, yes and also avoid alcohol (or other drugs for that matter since it is your first time, but with alcohol things get extra sloppy).

Have you got your set and setting in order?

Also, realize that this thread will soon be moderated...