• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

I got a few questions

Does the agent lemon method ensure that all or nearly all the naptha (and any other harmful chemicals in the naptha) evaporate from the final product?

Has anybody tried using country time lemonade as the acid instead of lemon juice? (The agent lemon guide says it works just as well and separates in 10 minutes as opposed to the hour the lemon juice takes) But will the country time really bind to the dxm as well as the as the lemon juice? (I was thinking the country time might not be as acidic as the lemon juice) - or does it not really matter?

Lastly does anybody know if consuming the DXM freebase (minus the last hydrochloric acid step) is really that dangerous?

Is there a very harmful amount of naptha/other chemicals left in the final product?

In other words would it be really bad, bad, sorta bad, or not that bad for one to consume the DXM freebase crystals if they contained small amounts of naptha/other chemicals?

Last edited:
Does the agent lemon method ensure that all or nearly all the naptha (and any other harmful chemicals in the naptha) evaporate from the final product?
no. there is no evaporation in the standard tek. you are separating the naptha from the lemon juice after they form separate layers in solution. you have to be patient and careful when you're doing these kinds of separations, especially using a cheap ziploc bag instead of a proper glass funnel.

Lastly does anybody know if consuming the DXM freebase (minus the last hydrochloric acid step) is really that dangerous? Is there a very harmful amount of naptha/other chemicals left in the final product?
read the whole thread. you have to make sure your solvent doesn't leave any residue after evaporation, and you should wash your crystals after you've dried and scraped them up the first time.

what I meant to ask was, how bad are the small amounts of left over naptha chemicals in the dxm freebase powder in comparison to other harmful chemicals and substances commonly found in street drugs? maybe like on a 1 - 10 scale, or just flat out tell me not to do it. or maybe that its not good for you, but not too dangerous as long as it isn't used to frequently

Would citric acid in say powdered form work when converting a Freebase into a HCL, say adding to water with DXM and then evaporating off?

If one were to use citric acid in the conversion process, you would not have dxm HCL but rather dxm citrate.
read the whole thread. you have to make sure your solvent doesn't leave any residue after evaporation, and you should wash your crystals after you've dried and scraped them up the first time.
I recommend using hexane.

what I meant to ask was, how bad are the small amounts of left over naptha chemicals in the dxm freebase powder in comparison to other harmful chemicals and substances commonly found in street drugs? maybe like on a 1 - 10 scale, or just flat out tell me not to do it. or maybe that its not good for you, but not too dangerous as long as it isn't used to frequently
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-303073.html
it's worse to smoke the impurities than to take them orally. so in this case it shouldn't be as risky. but i once ingested some crystals with heptane residue and it was pretty rough going. you can read about it a few pages back.

If one were to use citric acid in the conversion process, you would not have dxm HCL but rather dxm citrate.
I recommend using hexane.

the citric salt comes out kind of gooey and hard to work with ime. i think i posted that above. is hexane available in hardware stores? i think most people messing with dxm extractions have limited options, and are looking for readily available materials. i tried using heptane (best test rct) but apparently it wasn't very clean.

Safety information.

I successfully completed a freebase extraction with a 44% yield. I am re-adding Naptha to the leftover waste to see how much extra can be extracted.

During my experiment I made a fatal error that I feel I need to warn anyone who will attempt this.

During the addition of Ammonia I spilled a generous amount on my lap (the bottle was messed up from previously falling through a shopping bag and being ran over by a bike). It soaked right through my pants and ended up on my scrotum. This made me very angry at my mistake as the liquid was cold and on my scrotum. Pissed off I continued my experiment. Seconds later my sack was on fire. Freaking out I quickly set the chemicals down and bent over to get up. As I bent over I placed my head over the Ammonia and breathed deeply (I wasn't thinking clearly as my balls were being chemically burned). This only added to my pain and I sprinted to a shower, screaming, where relieved by ballsack.

The lesson here is that Ammonia is a nasty little chemical and should be treated with respect. I've gotten it all over my hands and it never irritated me and I grew too confidant. Now my scrotum is red with 2 coin sized burns to forever remind me Ammonia's true, evil, form.

I used 5 Safeway Brand Orange flavor cough syrup 15mg/ml DXM, 1 Robo Max Cough, and 1 Safeway Max Cough. 4oz each bottle. Final Yield = 1.1g white powder. DXM in syrup = 2.5g. Put into gel capsules and taken with grapefruit juice. Tested .55g per person (2 people) and worked great! Tripped so hard I thought I died or was dieing till I woke up. Respect DXM's power.

Next extraction I will post pictures of the step by step process.

...and that's why your mother told you not to play with the chemicals under the sink.

Sorry to hear about your balls, though.

Ok I have a few questions. I hope I'm not violating any rules with this.
1)How bad is it to use cough syrups with Guaifenesin in them?
2)If I wash my crystals in the end and I'm using cough syrup with dxm only as an AI, it will then be pure DXM right?
3)How does one go about washing their crystals? Do I mix it with water and boil it down or something along those lines?
edit: 4) I know it hasn't really been discused, but can you use products like Delsym, which contain Dextromethorphan Polistirex, for this?

Sorry for the possibly dumb questions, I'm fairly new to home chemistry lol, but any help would be appreciated.

1)How bad is it to use cough syrups with Guaifenesin in them?
2)If I wash my crystals in the end and I'm using cough syrup with dxm only as an AI, it will then be pure DXM right?
3)How does one go about washing their crystals? Do I mix it with water and boil it down or something along those lines?
edit: 4) I know it hasn't really been discused, but can you use products like Delsym, which contain Dextromethorphan Polistirex, for this?

1) causes vomiting and physical discomfort, but won't kill you afaik. just get one that is dxm only.
2) it will be dxm freebase using this method. purity is probably not great, unless you're using lab-grade reagents.
3) you can wash with water because the freebase is insoluble in water. smell your crystals and look for discoloration. if you want to refine them further, look up methods of recrystallization.
4) no, polistirex won't work. dxm hbr only.

Ah! I'm extremely pleased with my first time results. I do have one question though- What is the proper storage temperature? I've done some looking around and couldn't really come up with anything other than "cool, in an airtight container". Is the fridge okay? I can't really do anything with my outcome for a day at the least. Just wanna keep it safe :]

Also, now that I've thought of it, I have two more questions I think.
I used four 8 oz. bottles of CVS Tussin. This lead me to come up with approximately 2839 mgs of DXM. Something about that seems wrong? I never have been too great at math and I've been out of school for a few years, so it took me a minute to figure out what I was doing mathwise. We need a DXM converter! How handy would that be?
And that leads to my second question- how do you figure out your yield, more or less? I like to think I didn't lose very much, I was very careful and took my time.

Last edited:
One thing I've always wondered.
Can you freeze-precip DXM? Or do you have to evaporate?

One way that you could alter [the water/Delsym extraction] method, to speed up the absorption to the point where it's like taking DXM HBr, would be to add Coca-Cola or lemon juice [after extracting] and let it sit in the acidic drink for a while. These microparticles slowly release the drug by coming to equilibrium with your stomach acid, so if you pretreat them with acid, you could just wait a few hours and release it all from the microparticles. That way, you could do what seems to be a relatively simple Delsym extraction and not have to think about the extended release factor.

Wouldn't this produce a much higher amount of DXM,if 5 mL of delsym's Polistirex is equal to 30mg of DXM Hbr?
How could you measure out a dose,or would you drink it all at once?

lol huh

Wouldn't this produce a much higher amount of DXM,if 5 mL of delsym's Polistirex is equal to 30mg of DXM Hbr?
How could you measure out a dose,or would you drink it all at once?

I remember reading somewhere that DXM Polistirex is something like double the weight of DXM Hbr, because the coating on it adds mass.

I remember this because someone on another forum was confused, because his bottle of syrup contained only 300mgs of DXM, but his scale turned up 550mgs, and basically the only thing to conclude from that is that the dosages on the box are based on the comparative potency of regular DXM Hbr.

So if your bottle totals 300mgs, it's basically like 300mgs of DXM Hbr, just slower.

Question,

Would it be possible to evaporate the cough syrup down to a solid? perhaps mixing into water and then evaporating?

Bit of a newbie to this sort of thing but thought I'd ask anyway.

Question,

Would it be possible to evaporate the cough syrup down to a solid? perhaps mixing into water and then evaporating?

Bit of a newbie to this sort of thing but thought I'd ask anyway.

If you added water and then evaporated you'd just be adding water and then removing it.

The only thing you'd get by simply evaporating is reduced volume, and increased viscosity, which would probably make it harder to down.

The purpose of an extraction is to take out a lot of the nasty stuff in the syrups or gels or lozenges that cause adverse reactions when consuming enough to get a trip from dxm.

This is the binders/coloring/sugars/flavoring and all the rest of it that isn't dxm.

hi guys, new here. interesting topic, ive been curious. i have a bottle containing dxm and guafinesen that i want to extract. ive been over this whole thread and haven't gotten a clear idea of the extraction to use. agent lemon, or mrsteaks? i can get all the things for each recipe but which is safer? which is better for yield? according to the bottle i'll have 720mg if i down that, but i dont want the guafinesen eww.

I've tried the freebase method one time. It was very successful, but I made a small mistake that could have cost me my life. I was measuring out the ammonia and lighter fluid into a cup to pour into the jug. I forgot to clean that cup out and after the extraction was over I used that same cup to mix all my dxm with vault (yuck). But yeah, stupid shit... that was my last dxm trip out of 60, and the only trip where I went to the hospital thinking I was going to die... turns out I simply had a really bad panic attack. Be careful, I never thought I would have done something so stupid.

damn count, sorry to hear that, glad youre okay.

has anyone else had success with the freebase method that can speak positive and helpfully about?

about the extraction... im wondering if anyone has found an alternative to naptha? i read earlier in the thread about other chemicals being present in it. im not sure if i want to do the extraction if there are. have any of you had troubles with it anyways?