View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Dxm streetlight phenomena

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
I have been having this whole turning streelights off thing going on for a while now when im high on dxm.....heres a quick excerpt from the dxmzine explaining it...just wanted to know if this has happend to anyone else.

Shortly after my first experiences with DXM, I started to notice strange occurances of streetlights either going on or off as I would pass them. Sometimes I would just simply look up at a burned out light and it would flicker a few times, then come on. Usually it would be the same couple of lights, night after night. You may think, what does this have to do with DXM? Well, I didn't really think much of it until I talked to two other people, each reporting the same phenomenon, convinced that it is tied to something beyond our regular grasp of technology. What causes these strange episodes of electrical malfunction? Some may point out that the lights are on sensors and as you pass them, they detect headlights, but that theory is often shot down due to the fact that you may have already passed the streetlight when it lit up, or you may not even be in a car at all. On one night, I had just been walking out of the movie theater with my girlfriend when right as I passed under it, a theater light (affixed outside the movie theater) shut off, while the one just before it continued to glow. We both noticed it. It's to the point that now everytime I'm out somewhere driving after dark, I notice some strange activity with streetlights either turning on or off,
flickering, or both. Also, from what I've heard it may not just be limited to streetlights. Other electrical devices such as radios and anything else you can imagine may also be effected. Some say it has to do with supernatural forces, since it has been noted that in some cases ghosts like to mess around with electricity. Others may point out it would be something inside our mind controlling the devices. And yet others may scoff and call us insane.
Now, after talking with the two other individuals that have reported this, I realized I may not be crazy after all, and I'm also not discounting this as a simple case of paranoia. I do not know the intricate workings of a streetlight. If you do, on the otherhand, and know what may cause this disturbances please feel free to email us. I am passing along the insight of one of those individuals below:

The first time I experienced anything strange was with a group of friends. We were on DXM swimming in my pool, with music on the radio playing. Suddenly, the radio just shuts off. As I start to get out of the pool to see what happened, it comes back on again. So, I shrug it off and continue with the joyous DXM-swim fun. Later on, it shuts off again. I then ask my friends if they know what's going on.. of course, they don't. Then it just starts up again. This happened about 4 times that night. At the time, I just attributed it to a short somewhere (it was not
the electricity -- the pool light was on the entire time.) Strangely, though, this never happened again while we were sober. At another time, my current gf and I were both on fairly high doses of DXM talking on the phone. Close to the peak of the trip, she says (for whatever reason) "show me you're here." So, believing that I indeed could, I start trying to vision myself there. Immediately, the phone goes dead. There was no hangup, no click.. just an instant dialtone. So I hang up the phone. A couple seconds later, the phone rings and I pick it up. I then thank her for calling me back, and she says she didn't -- HER phone rang. Just another strange incident.
Now, the previous two odd occurances I just figured were coincidences until this happened -- at night, random light poles on my right side starting turning off (a few turning on) right before I passed them, usually while driving. At some point, I started to notice this
happened a bit too much, so I started to count them. Since March of this year, I've counted 33 light poles doing this. Also, I've noticed the circumstances under which this apparently occurs:

1. I'm in a good mood
2. I'm NOT thinking about it (I've tried many times to consciously turn them off. All attempts were unsuccessful)

After reading a few books on NDEs (near-death experiences) I've found a few things that fit together. It turns out that people who have experienced NDEs report a threefold increase in paranormal phenomena. Two drugs are mentioned as being able to induce NDEs: morphine and
ketamine. DXM is not listed (probably because it isn't known), but obviously fits because it's a morphine analog that is very similiar to ketamine in high doses. Furthermore, a certain doctor (I forget the name) that supposedly took ketamine for a hundred days straight says he came into contact with "cosmic coincidence control." A strange thing for him to say, considering all of the coincidences that have occured since I started DXM. So IS it all a coincidence? Am I just being superstitous? I don't really know, but every time I'm driving down the street and a light pole on my right side goes out right before I pass it, the more convinced I am that this is something paranormal.

I have had alot of strange things like that happen while dexed as-well.

Dissociatives just seem to correlate to such strange phenomena in general...

6465-1187718765-spiral-tunnel-xp.jpg

I <3 Dextromethorphan

Last edited:
i have noticed the streetlight thing. also, anything electrical can go haywire if there is a dexer around.

I have nothing to say about the phenomena, but nice username OP! Haha. I'm a Shpongle fan as well. Great tripping music.

Err, I'm going to guarantee that you don't turn on lights by looking at them. Whether you're on DXM or not.

Weird things happen when you're on drugs, but what you are saying is borderline paranoia or delusional.

This is really fascinating. Whoever experiences this should try to have it verified by having the people on DXM say when this happens and see if the sober people experience it too. If everyone does experience the device going on or off, that's really freaky and I don't think anyone has a clue what the fuck is going on. If the sober people don't report the device switching on or off, it is just some weird and not understood perceptual distortion caused by DXM (or possibly, if you want to believe, this is actually happening all the time and people can only notice it on DXM).

i've had my sober roommate verify supernatural phenomena for me before. he was almost always freaked the fuck out. he's dating a really skeptical girl now, however, and he no longer buys into any of it...

I recall the weirdest thing that happened to me involving electronic devices was back in the day when i would take huge doses at one time and i remember one night being in my room on about 1100mg's of dxm laying in my bed and i looked over at my alarm clock and it read 00:00 and it was blinking like the power had just went out. Every person i tell this too says i was either hallucinating or im just straight up lieing about it (wich im not). Also i dont blame it on any sort of reset button on my clock due tot he fact that i looked for one and there was nothing. And even if there was some sort of reset mechanism why would it have happened out of no where and coincidentally when im on a huge dose of dxm...a dose that i usually only take once in a while due to the intensity of taking anymore then a gram at a time.

I been doing dxm too much for too long and have had this happen in multiple areas, it took me by surprise when i read this and heard of other people experiencing this. :c
maybe it has something to do with higher frequencies your body may be producing idk
i'm just not high at the moment =[

When i use DXM alot my computer and cell phone starts missing up..
and also when on dxm it's kinda wierd but i get this feeling that im fixing to get a txt from someone or a call and a sec. later my phone goes off..
kinda wired and the dxmzine is a good read..

When i dated my x there was over 20 times where i would be fixing to call her (keep in mind im tripping when this happens) and when i pick up the phone to dial she would b on the other line already....we made a HUGE deal about the first 5 times it happened but after that it would happen and we would just laugh and and she would say "your trippin rite now arent you?"....goddamn now that i think about it i miss that chick :( haha

this is hilarious - especially because in the yard of the house i lived in at the time had a street-lamp in it, my brother and i would stilt-walk out and watch this on DXM, often...
:)

" hey thar lamp po0ost, whaAat'cha knuwnn?!? "
8-D

When i dated my x there was over 20 times where i would be fixing to call her (keep in mind im tripping when this happens) and when i pick up the phone to dial she would b on the other line already....we made a HUGE deal about the first 5 times it happened but after that it would happen and we would just laugh and and she would say "your trippin rite now arent you?"....goddamn now that i think about it i miss that chick :( haha

my ex and i used to play a game when we were on the phone and i was tripping... she would imagine that she was kissing me, and i would have to guess where. one night i swear that my CEV's had crosshairs showing me where she was about to kiss... she told me i guessed most of them right, but who knows maybe she was just playing with me. ;) i do really miss her.

I definitely think there's something to this. I remember when I used to take DXM by the gram with a friend of mine and go walking around in the middle of the night we would always notice this streetlight phenomina. This was loooong before I had ever read about it online or heard about anyone else experiencing it. It almost never happened to me while sober though, I specifically looked for it after experiencing it while tripping so many times.
The scientist you're talking about is named John Lilly. He was a huge fan of LSD and later on, ketamine. He actually invented the modern day sensory deprivation float tank so that he could more effectively experience his drugs without the impediment of a corporeal body weighing him down. If you've ever been in a float tank you know there's literally zero other places on earth like it. It's amazing what a profound distraction your body is and you don't even notice it until you've felt what it's like not having one, in a float tank. It's indeed true that John Lilly encountered "cosmic coincidence control," he called them "ECCO," the Earth Coincidence Control Office, and he believed that he would always be okay because ECCO would protect him. He almost drowned in a float tank once because he injected too much katamine and went catatonic in the tank. His friend, who wasn't with him and didn't know what he was doing, suddenly got a bad feeling and called his wife and told her to check on him. She found him in his tank, unconscious, cyanotic, and practically dead. He was successfully revived and he believed he was saved, again, by ECCO. It's fascinating whether you're the type to believe in it or not.
Lilly went hard with ketamine, injecting heroic doses, over 100mg, and climb in his tank and off he went. He was also really big into taking heroic doses of LSD inside the float tank. He was deeply into the idea of reprogramming himself while under the influence of LSD and then later ketamine, because he had debilitating migraines that would last 18+ hours at a time almost daily for a while. Eventually he cured himself of the migraines with ketamine.
The DXM streetlight phenomina is a good one because it's so similar to some of the things Lilly wrote about experiencing, thanks, apparently, to ECCO, and of course ketamine. I definitely believe there are forces and things out there we're just not even capable of understanding. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe there's a reality to this streetlight phenomina. I remember reading once several years ago about how streetlights work, and I learned that they use halogen bulbs that are heat sensitive, and part of how they turn on and off the way they do is the state or temperature of the bulb and it's completely analog, that is to say it's not controlled by a computer in the lamp. Your everyday streetlight doesn't have a motion sensor on or in it either and headlights don't affect whether they're on or off. They have an analog mechanism in the bulb that causes them to shut off and cool down for a bit if or when they get too hot as a way to prevent failure of the bulb, if I recall correctly. This discredits many of the theories people have put forth to explain the phenomina, and as I said earlier, I definitely experienced it more when tripping, reliably, almost every time I tripped, though I almost never experienced it when sober. I don't remember experiencing it sober and it got to the point where I was looking for it because I was thinking it must be a confirmation bias or that other bias you get when you have a new car and you start to notice it everywhere, but despite my efforts, I just couldn't convince myself that it wasn't linked to the DXM somehow.

When you do DXM you're not going to be thinking rationally. When that irrational thinking continues after the drug wears off, it's time to take a break from dissociatives and psychedelics, and maybe time to see a psychiatrist.

maybe it has something to do with higher frequencies your body may be producing idk

Frequencies of what? Light? Sound? What "frequencies" turn off streetlights?

When you do DXM you're not going to be thinking rationally. When that irrational thinking continues after the drug wears off, it's time to take a break from dissociatives and psychedelics, and maybe time to see a psychiatrist.

This^

Also, I had a friend who used to SWEAR he could change traffic lights at will. He was also doing huge amounts of PCP at the time too.
He finally slowed down on the PCP and his "ability" was suddenly gone...go figure.

My friends and I used to think the same thing happened on weed when we were 17. I will admit there were some weird coincidences but eventually we realized it's not real. It happens when not on drugs too, and it also doesn't happen plenty when on drugs.