View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM Almost three days in a row/binge and effects on mind and health

greenlight2848

Ex-Bluelighter
I have two questions here: 1.)The other morning around 600 mg of DXM was dosed. The very next night, another 300 mg was dosed. Not the next day but the day after that, am planning on dosing another 300 mg and then be done with it for a while. I usually don't use DXM more than a month between experiences just to add.

But if I dose 600 mg one morning, the very next night 300 mg, and then not the next night but the night after that another 300 mg is dosed, would that have any permanent effect on my physical or mental health? I'm not too worried about it but I heard that using DXM too much at time spans too close together or at high doses could cause onley's lesions and permanent brain damage. If I dose two days in a row then skip a day and dose again that night do I have anything to worry about as far as permanent damage goes? I mean after like a couple days of this binge will I feel completely back to normal?

2.)If I do take these three doses this close together, will my tolerance be permanently affected? I probably wont dose again for another month or more to let my mind recover after this third dose, IF I take it that is. Thanks!

Last edited:
it stays in your system long, you will be stacking doses. i've don'e something similar and each day it was much stronger than the previous. reverse tolerane.

Yes but I dosed two days In a row, and fell asleep on the second dose before it kicked in (took it when I was tired and close to bed time), but not it is two days in a row, skip a day, and dose again. not sure how reverse tolerance will work this way. Guess I will have to find out....

I have a drug test In 3 weeks, hope I don't get a false positive for Pcp. I might actually have a test for a job in about a week, you said it stays in your system long so I don't know how that will play out. I'm not too worried about it though.

You'll live, it ain't healthy, and you'll likely be a bit off for a few days after but prolly nothing terrible. Don't make a habit of it though, once tolerance sets in it never goes away completely and a lot of what makes DXM special is just gone.
I did a lot of DXM in the late 90s and maybe a dozen times since 2000, like once or twice a year these days with several year long breaks in there, and still I have tolerance to many of the best effects of the drug.

Ok. I just took the mucinex dm extended release tablets. It has been two hours and I don't feel anything yet. Do the extended release even work?

Taking massive amounts of mucinex means not only DXM, but guaifenesin and acetaminophen (if I remember correctly). This is incredibly unhealthy for your liver at the least. Get Delsym or Robotussin, both of which are pure DXM. May as well spare yourself the extra pain if you can...

Taking massive amounts of mucinex means not only DXM, but guaifenesin and acetaminophen (if I remember correctly). This is incredibly unhealthy for your liver at the least. Get Delsym or Robotussin, both of which are pure DXM. May as well spare yourself the extra pain if you can...

Mucinex is DXM and guaifenesin, No acetaminophen(at least not the kind I always got), but yeah if ur product does have acetaminophen, dont use it recreationally. As far as the guaifenisen, it just has a tendency to make you more nauseous.

Last edited:
If your drug test is still a few weeks away, I believe you may be fine. Correct me if any of this info is invalid, but I learned that when testing for drugs, it may show up but if it is under a certain level, it doesn't count. Dxm is legal in the US, but I'm not sure about the legal status in other countries.

As for permanent damage, no. You probably will feel "different" experiencing an afterglow between doses, and some people do get a "hangover" rather than an afterglow. It's different for everyone. However, I would not recommend taking large doses for one week between your trips because of the mental fog you may experience. I binged for about a month and it left me very mentally unstable and depressed.

IIRC onley's lesions was only a study done on rats, not humans. 3 days of DXM use will not cause lesions in your brain, if that's even true at all.

You probably dont have to worry about false positives for PCP either. I used to do a lot of MXE while on probation and my UA's were always clean

Olney's lesions were never shown in primates or humans and I also think the vacuoles 'magically' disappeared when they were observed in other animals (though I cannot comment on how that would have already incised the tissue). It also required hefty doses. The main explanation is that other animals may have a 2-4x faster metabolism leading to all kinds of different problems under some circumstances.

I would be more worried about mental consequences from being so dissociated for so long. It's always easy to dismiss when you're high, but in my opinion it can often be disconcerting when getting fully sober again and to realize what you have missed (or even avoided). With dissociation it's IMO more severe than say being stoned from cannabis because it can really suspend you cognitively. I have experience with that with say K and MXE and recommend that you be careful with that.

Getting away with it is another thing, and hardly justifying..

If it's just a one time thing it should work out okay but that raises the question why you'd need to make this 3 days in a row.

Wasn't three days in a row. Was one morning then the next night, then not the next but the night after that, two days in a row and then skipping one day. And did it this much mainly because didn't have bud and cant smoke bud right now. I am coming down from the third right now and actually still feel pretty good and almost back to normal. I would say it is an "afterglow". No hangover. Also, I took like 14,000 gaufinesin with the dxm and didn't get sick at all. I sure am lucky that would have suuuuuucked

Well glad you had a good time, but if it's cause you don't have other drugs what is stopping you from making this a chronic thing (no pun intended)?

Also please put in some effort to use DXM-only brands, cant keep counting on luck I say

Well glad you had a good time, but if it's cause you don't have other drugs what is stopping you from making this a chronic thing (no pun intended)?

Also please put in some effort to use DXM-only brands, cant keep counting on luck I say

Every time I've used guaf-containing products, I've never puked. And what is stopping me from making this chronic thing is me not doing it, pretty much. And thats not really the main reason why i did it this close together, the main reason is I just did i guess, and I've come down and feel like i need a break, so I'll probably take one.

And of course, I just thought since the last times I've used guaf I didn't get sick, so I thought this time it would be worth taking the chance. I could have been wrong though and got sick. You are right about the dxm only containing products for sure though

I've taken dxm with gauf before and did not get sick or throw up.

Yeah, I actually use this(generic kind, not actual mucinex)as my go-to for DXM for quite some time now as its way cheaper than robo gels per mg. of DXM and I never ger sick off it, I usually don't dose very high anymore tho. Guifanesin sometimes gives me gas tho and it tastes like utter shit, so I try and not taste the pills, but from what Ive read of it, it's not harmful even in higher doses.

Never had an issues with guifanesin either, although I can only imagine taking DXM as Mucinex would really suck compared to gels or syrup (and the latter still sucks, HBr I mean, but it would be my go to).

Regarding taking DXM for multiple days in a row...

I don't recommend it, but I took 2-3 plateau doses of DXM once to twice a day for about six days in a row to detox from heroin once. It was an amazing, life changing experience all for the better. I was totally non-functional during this time, but not because of withdrawal from the heroin, just being fucked up from DXM. This is just to say that, while not recommended, years and years later I'm actually probably better off for it (as I stopped using heroin) and the DXM didn't have any long term negative effects. Once the after glow wore off, I was back to normal (so like a weak after my last dose I was totally normal intellectually/cognitively).

I'd only do it again in an emergency, and even then I can't really see myself doing it. I'd have to be pretty desperate for the potential rewards to outweigh the potential risks. That was basically the situation when I was detoxing from heroin and used it. I also was taking piracetam at the time, although I don't really suspect it played a significant role in anything due to subsequent experiments.

Just because some people don't get sick from high doses of Guafinesin doesn't mean everyone is the same - stick with DXM only products just to be safe.
Now, this isn't really a high dose of DXM, maybe if you were to take more you'd have noticeable effects or a bigger "afterglow" the day after, but a total of 1200mg DXM over the course of 3 days isn't going to do you much harm. That initial 600mg may give you a small tolerance though.